Nobody Talks About Fitz in this race, why not?

Everybody keeps saying Fitz is a career backup at best, when trent only got the job bc losman sucked, then lost the job bc he himself sucked and got hurt. Not to mention Brohm has only been above a practice squad player due to injury. So how is Fitz any different from those three?

Do I agree Brohm and Trent have more upside bc of their skills? yes. Does that mean they are the right guy for the job? No, they have proven nothing. This race is a total toss up, i just want to make sure that fans realize Fitz has as good a shot as anyone.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doubtful. If they think he has anything worth developing, they're not going to risk cutting him and putting him on the PS and have what happened with GB and Brohm. If they don't think he has anything, he'll be cut.

The Bills are looking for heady football players. Therefore, Fitz stays.

Wouldn't shock me at all if it was Edwards released.....Brohm starts....Fitz is backup...and Brown is 3rd QB

John, normally a man of reason......................

The above isn't going to happen.

Everybody keeps saying Fitz is a career backup at best, when trent only got the job bc losman sucked, then lost the job bc he himself sucked and got hurt. Not to mention Brohm has only been above a practice squad player due to injury. So how is Fitz any different from those three?

Do I agree Brohm and Trent have more upside bc of their skills? yes. Does that mean they are the right guy for the job? No, they have proven nothing. This race is a total toss up, i just want to make sure that fans realize Fitz has as good a shot as anyone.

The off-season is a time of hope. There are fans and media from every team, Lions and Saints alike, who are talking about the potential of their draft picks, the development of their young players, better luck with injuries, tweaks to improve their offense/defense, etc.

For this reason, the off-season hype is focused around the players with more upside. Per your own statement, Brohm and Edwards appear to have more upside.

Is it a reasonable idea that Fitzpatrick starts? Yes.

The problem is that a focus on Fitz being the starter will ruin the hype of maximizing on our potential. Officially, the QB competition is still open, and he's still sharing reps. There's no need to burst the optimism bubble when we haven't even made it to preseason.

I've been watching long enough (almost 40 years)...And maybe I'm being a bit hard on Fitz...Though I doubt it...He may be a decent #2 for The Bills or Cincy when they sucked...But on the better NFL Teams I think he's a 3rd String QB and no better, and it's not preposterous whatsoever...The guys got a CAREER 67.7 QB Rating...21 TD's to 27 INT's...How is that "Classic Back-Up" or "pretty decent?"

Good God the bar has fallen awfully low around here... :flirt:

No you're wrong. Let's look at the best teams in the league: Indy? He's decidedly better than Curtis Painter. New England? Couldn't even tell you who their backup is. Saints? A 50 year-old Mark Brunell? Packers? That Flynn kid from LSU who's never take a snap in the NFL? Tavares Jackson blows. Chris Chandler was a sick backup QB, Frank Reich, Cody Carlson, those were good ones. Fitzpatrick stepped in and played decent last year on an essentially non-functional offense. He is an above average NFL backup QB by anyone's standards. Again, clearly not a starter though.

No you're wrong. Let's look at the best teams in the league: Indy? He's decidedly better than Curtis Painter. New England? Couldn't even tell you who their backup is. Saints? A 50 year-old Mark Brunell? Packers? That Flynn kid from LSU who's never take a snap in the NFL? Tavares Jackson blows. Chris Chandler was a sick backup QB, Frank Reich, Cody Carlson, those were good ones. Fitzpatrick stepped in and played decent last year on an essentially non-functional offense. He is an above average NFL backup QB by anyone's standards. Again, clearly not a starter though.

Well...I think you're wrong...I think if Fitz was all that Teams would have lined up to grab him as a Back-Up when they could have had him...But they did not...I think Brunell and Jackson are definitely better and anyone on that list is capable of posting a 67 QB rating regardless of their experience...Jackson's career QB rating is 10 points higher than Fitz and he's thrown more TD's than INT's...How does that blow? Especially in comparison with Fitz... :flirt:

I understand what you're saying about Fitz being decent if all you expect is a Back-Up QB...But I think a Back-Up is one hit away, especially in Buffalo...And I want My Back-Up to be able to do better than Fitz has with Buffalo and Cincy...He's just not that good...He's a bit less than ordinary... :lol:

Well...I think you're wrong...I think if Fitz was all that Teams would have lined up to grab him as a Back-Up when they could have had him...But they did not...I think Brunell and Jackson are definitely better and anyone on that list is capable of posting a 67 QB rating regardless of their experience...Jackson's career QB rating is 10 points higher than Fitz and he's thrown more TD's than INT's...How does that blow? Especially in comparison with Fitz... :flirt:

I understand what you're saying about Fitz being decent if all you expect is a Back-Up QB...But I think a Back-Up is one hit away, especially in Buffalo...And I want My Back-Up to be able to do better than Fitz has with Buffalo and Cincy...He's just not that good...He's a bit less than ordinary... :lol:

The debate of Fitz vs. TJack is an honest one. I don't want either has a starter. But Fitz vs. Brunell is not even close. Brunell is absolutely finished. He's only playing at this point to stave off bankruptcy for one more year. The fact that someone will even employ him is incredible.

Fitz only looked better because he didn't get sacked as much and he had one big play.

Oh, and we won 4 out of 9 with him and only 2 out of 6 with Trent and 0 out of 1 from Brohm.

He had more than "one big play". I assume you mean the Bills record setting 98 yarder to TO? He also set the Bills record setting longest run from scrimmage for a TD by a QB at 31 yards. The TD pass to Lee in the first Jets game was big too.

Fitz didn't get sacked as much with a lesser line because he doesn't sit back there and pat the ball waiting for someone to get open. He can also move in the pocket.

I've read on here time after time that we know that Fitz can do but TE has more "potential". Why is that? TE has played in more games (34) than Fitz (29).

Based on what we've seen last year, Fitz is the best we got. Unless someone steps up in training camp, he should be the guy. Add to that that Coach Gailey likes mobile QBs and we're ready with Fitz.

I wish we had someone better, but really, he's the best we got.

The debate of Fitz vs. TJack is an honest one. I don't want either has a starter. But Fitz vs. Brunell is not even close. Brunell is absolutely finished. He's only playing at this point to stave off bankruptcy for one more year. The fact that someone will even employ him is incredible.

Look...I'm not saying Brunell is anything great...Yes he's old and over-the-hill...This just in right? But I still think Brunell can go out and post a 67.7 QB...And there is no debate between Fitz and Jackson...Jackson's not much, but he's still better than Fitz...The numbers don't lie...

This Fitz backing, however small a movement, has me cracking up...Some Folks around here have been deprived of decent Football so long they would not know it if it smacked them upside the head and called their Mother nasty names...It's too funny...Still, if Fitz is around in 2010 I hope he suddenly gets a lot better...I'd love to be wrong if he stays in Buffalo...But I think he's the odd man out...B-)

Look...I'm not saying Brunell is anything great...Yes he's old and over-the-hill...This just in right? But I still think Brunell can go out and post a 67.7 QB...

No, he couldn't. Mark Brunell has no business being in this league. He hasn't put up a 67.7 QB rating in four years. He's horrible.

And there is no debate between Fitz and Jackson...Jackson's not much, but he's still better than Fitz...The numbers don't lie...

Sure there is. TJack has had a FAR superior supporting cast than Fitz had in Buff or Cincy. I'd take TJack over Fitz, but not by much. Fitz is by far the smarter QB and neither are accurate, but TJack can make more plays.

This Fitz backing, however small a movement, has me cracking up...Some Folks around here have been deprived of decent Football so long they would not know it if it smacked them upside the head and called their Mother nasty names...It's too funny...Still, if Fitz is around in 2010 I hope he suddenly gets a lot better...I'd love to be wrong if he stays in Buffalo...But I think he's the odd man out...B-)

Well, no argument there...

Oh, and we won 4 out of 9 with him and only 2 out of 6 with Trent and 0 out of 1 from Brohm. Have you considered the teams that TE faced vs. the teams that RF faced or the general play of the team in those games. Remember there are 22 men on the field at all times.

He had more than "one big play". I assume you mean the Bills record setting 98 yarder to TO? He also set the Bills record setting longest run from scrimmage for a TD by a QB at 31 yards. The TD pass to Lee in the first Jets game was big too. You mean the rare slant play in the Jauron arsenal that was put away after that game?

Fitz didn't get sacked as much with a lesser line because he doesn't sit back there and pat the ball waiting for someone to get open. He can also move in the pocket. No arguments here, mobility is the one clear advantage for fitzy

I've read on here time after time that we know that Fitz can do but TE has more "potential". Why is that? TE has played in more games (34) than Fitz (29).

TE before his concussion in Arizona was looking really damn good, and hasn't regained such form. I don't think anyone could say that about fitzy in his NFL career.

Based on what we've seen last year, Fitz is the best we got. Unless someone steps up in training camp, he should be the guy. Add to that that Coach Gailey likes mobile QBs and we're ready with Fitz.

politely, i disagree with your assessment here.

I wish we had someone better, but really, he's the best we got.

ok

Fitz may be the least gifted QB in this pecking order physically, and his throws are not very accurate, but we played more competitive with him at the helm last year. He seems to be most respected among the group by his teammates, and may be the best leader. TO favored him much more than Trent, calling him a "veteran who has been around the league". TO may be washed up and egotistical, but he knows what winning takes, and he favored Fitz.

Watching games, it looked like Fitz knew where to go with the football and read defenses better than Trent. His throws wern't on the money too often, but he went downfield and took chances, not to mention hes not injury prone. They may have said brohm had a good OTA, and trent looks like "the most talented", but fitz is smart and tough, and Fewell went down the stretch with him last year when he was trying to win games, not Trent, and it wasn't even a discussion.

At this point, unless Gailey really sees potential in Brohm as a good QB and wants to develop him, I think its 40-40-20 in the Trent/Fitz/Brohm race.

Ryan Fitzpatrick does not have the "strong arm" that Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey say the Bills' QB needs to have. Because of this, I do not think that Fitzpatrick is going to win the job.

I'm interested where you heard Fitzpatrick is the most respected in the locker room. The only thing I have heard is Cornell Green say he thinks Trent is doing really well on BB.COM. Also, Gailey said that Brohm has made a big stride (maybe because he has been so far behind and finally caught up?)

At this point, I would be surprised if Trent Edwards does not win the job. He is the only QB on the roster with a strong enough arm for Chix AND a significant amount of game experience.

My prediction is:

1. Trent Edwards

2. Ryan Fitzpatrick (has proven to be a quality back-up)

3. Levi Brown (Chix said they are going develop Brown, so he has to be on the roster to develop I think)

Brian Brohm gets cut.

I agree that it's too soon in Fitz's career to label him as a "career backup". The guy has LESS game time experience than Edwards despite being in the league two additional years. If we can say that Edwards is still developing, then we must say the same for Fitz. It's not uncommon for some QB's to really hit their stride until later in their careers. Take Danny White of the Cowboys, for instance -- the guy had ONE game start his entire first 4 seasons in the NFL, but went on to be a decent QB. It's a difficult position to learn and develop at in the NFL under GOOD circumstances, but neither Edwards nor Fitz has had the luxury of a stable environment to develop in. Let's at least give each of these guys one more season before we put labels on them -- just my opinion.

Fitz has started 23 games in his entire pro career and made appearance in 6 additional games for a total of 29 game appearances. That's NOT EVEN TWO full seasons. Edwards has started 30 games and appeared in 2 additional games for a total of 32 game appearances. Fitz has been in the league 2 additional years, but was 1 year younger than Edwards when he joined the pros. The point is that people seem to want to see what Gailey can do with Edwards (and so do I), but I think we should ALSO want to see what Gailey can do with Fitz, too. Both QB's have had coaching changes (and 3 team changes in case of Fitz) in their young careers. If Edwards deserves the benefit of the doubt, then I think Fitz does, as well. Fitz is not some aging career backup as he has been labeled. His career is still relatively young. That said, yes, he certainly is entering his prime and the next season or two will determine if he develops into a starter. Good coaching may make BOTH of these guys look very good -- and Brohm, too. Only time will tell. I'll reserve judgment until they've played a couple of pre-season games in Gailey's offense.

FROM justnzane:

Oh, and we won 4 out of 9 with him and only 2 out of 6 with Trent and 0 out of 1 from Brohm. Have you considered the teams that TE faced vs. the teams that RF faced or the general play of the team in those games. Remember there are 22 men on the field at all times.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. I looked back at last years schedule and in game Trent was leading passer, Bills were 1-5 with the sole win over Tampa Bay. With Fitz 5-4 with wins over Dolphins, Jets, Panthers, Chiefs, and Colts. Trent had a better line and more healthy guys than when Fitz took over.

He had more than "one big play". I assume you mean the Bills record setting 98 yarder to TO? He also set the Bills record setting longest run from scrimmage for a TD by a QB at 31 yards. The TD pass to Lee in the first Jets game was big too. You mean the rare slant play in the Jauron arsenal that was put away after that game?

And how do we know that play wasn't in all year but Trent wouldn't throw it? I suspect there were a lot passes in that Trent just wouldn't throw.

When with the same team, one QB leads to a 5-4 record and another 1-5, which is better? Stats and strong arm and "upside" don't mean jack squat. Wins is all that counts. I want the guy out there that gives us the best chance to win this week. Damn the torpedos and play Fitz. Unless someone else does better in training camp and preseason that is.

And, Fitz can play in the snow. Something we're always clamoring for on here and haven't had since Bledsoe left. He's also mobile which is what Coach Gailey likes.

Why is no one talking about Fitz in this race? Well the answer is simple...because no one wants him to win it. The reason is simple:

Brohm: Is unknown and was a highly regarded prospect...he offers at least potential to be a franchise guy.

Trent: Gaileys ability to get a lot put of less in terms of QB's still provides some hope Trent can develop into a quality starter under him...

Fitz: Not seen as a guy with the potential to be a long term answer by hardly anyone.

If Brohm wins, we suddenly have a young prospect with potential to shore up our QB woes...if Trent wins, well many will see it as one last shot for him to develop into a long term guy. Now if Fitz wins, that means our two best shots at a long term answer both couldnt get it done and we have to endure a seat warmer in Fitz until we find our guy next year.

So, Fitz offer little to no hope while the others do to some degree still...so no one wants Fitz to win because we are screwed if he does. We may be screwed no matter who wins, but at least the other provide some hope to a lot of fans...

So, Fitz offer little to no hope while the others do to some degree still...so no one wants Fitz to win because we are screwed if he does. We may be screwed no matter who wins, but at least the other provide some hope to a lot of fans...

Fitz might not provide hope, but he could provide Wins. I'll take that. 5-4 in 2009 with an idiot coach and an interim coach and a MASH unit for a team. Put him in an offense to take advantage of what he's got and our running game and scatback, and if our D can be decent, we could post a 10-6 or 9-7 record. Maybe Fitz doesn't have the tools of a QB like Manning or Marino, but he makes up for it in leadership and football smarts. Look at my signature below to see what a HOF QB thinks about leadership.

Get off of the franchise QB thing at least for now. We don't have it. We have to put ourselves in the best position to win without one. Fitz is the man.

I'm tired of baby sitting snot nose rookie QBs hoping someday they might be good.

Isn't anyone else?