Nobody Talks About Fitz in this race, why not?

Fitz only looked better because he didn't get sacked as much and he had one big play.

FWIW, Edwards had higher completion % by 4.2, yards per attempt by .1 yard, interception % by .6%, overall QB rating by 4.1, and surprisingly a higher yards per carry by 3.1 yards per carry

Fitzy, had a higher TD% by .6% and a better sack rate of 3.3%.

I think that improved lineplay will allow Edwards to look better. To me, any pocket passer must depend on his line to have any degree of success, where a scrambler won't have as bad of floor for performances. In the same breath, more often than not a classic pocket passer is the more dangerous weapon, when the line is able to protect long enough.

Neither signal caller was particularly good last year. Maybe a coach w/ some history developing QBs will fix this. I dunno. All we can do is hope @ this point.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? Only a one-year difference? That surprises me, so I stand corrected. I still hate Fitzpatrick, though.

Me too...He's just so ordinary...Even as a Back-Up I don't like Fitz much...

I think Edwards, for all his faults (and they are a few for sure), has a million times the upside of Fitz...Fitz is a 3rd string QB on almost any NFL Roster. He was another in a long like of horrible UFA Signings by Jauron/Guy and that bunch...I think based on the ridiculously bad record of UFA Signings prior to Nix taking charge, Fitz may very well be the logical odd man out in this QB equation...Edwards has shown at times he can play at a higher level in this league...Brohm has the whole 2nd Rd Pick, upside thing still going for him...If Brown shows anything I think Fitz is a goner...And I would not mind that a bit... :thumbsup:

If the Bills start Brohm it probably won't be because the are sure that he can be a quality starter but because they are sure Edwards and Fitz can't.

I agree, if Brohm starts it won't be because of what he has done to earn it, but what he hasn't done to lose the job. I think Edwards has the most potential out of the three, but that isn't saying much. We will be one of the weakest in the NFL at the QB position, no matter who Gailey picks to start the season. I think the only one of the three who doesn't have an equal chance of starting is Fitz. He has proven he is a career backup at best, and probably not even that on a decent team.

Me too...He's just so ordinary...Even as a Back-Up I don't like Fitz much...

I think Edwards, for all his faults (and they are a few for sure), has a million times the upside of Fitz...Fitz is a 3rd string QB on almost any NFL Roster. He was another in a long like of horrible UFA Signings by Jauron/Guy and that bunch...I think based on the ridiculously bad record of UFA Signings prior to Nix taking charge, Fitz may very well be the logical odd man out in this QB equation...Edwards has shown at times he can play at a higher level in this league...Brohm has the whole 2nd Rd Pick, upside thing still going for him...If Brown shows anything I think Fitz is a goner...And I would not mind that a bit... :thumbsup:

Not sure how long you guys have been watching football but Fitzpatrick is a CLASSIC backup NFL quarterback. A pretty decent one too. I don't want him to win the job because I know he's not a starting QB in the NFL but to say he's a 3rd stringer on most rosters is preposterous.

Has anyone read Tim's comments?

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/...nd-observations

I'm no scout, but I thought Edwards looked better than Ryan Fitzpatrick and Brian Brohm. Edwards threw a nice ball and didn't seem to make as many mistakes as Fitzpatrick and Brohm did.Brohm did close out the last practice well. Shortly after throwing an interception right to linebacker Andra Davis, he came back in a two-minute drill and found Donald Jones for a touchdown on the final play of minicamp.

Fitzpatrick is the second coming of Kelly Holcomb, minus the droopy drawers face... honestly, call me nuts, I don't expect great things from the Bills this season, but, if they were to go into the season with Fitzpatrick at QB, I would feel even less enthusiastic. I don't hate the guy, and he certainly has more, uh, intangibles than Trent Edwards showed last season, but, I would like to think (though not convinced yet) that Edwards can get back on track with a better coaching staff... I think Fitzpatrick is a perfect back-up. He does some things well, but, as a starter, his potential, IMO, is very limited. Like Holcomb, who made a name for himself in Cleveland, coming off the bench and putting up numbers, once he is entrenched as a starter, I don't think Fitzpatricks game gets any better...only worse, the more opponents see how limited, and inaccurate, he is.

I agree. People also forget that Fitz was pulled in a game and Edwards was inserted (for only 3 plays until he was knocked out for the season). Fitz is too inconsistent to be a starting QB, but I'd love to keep him as a backup.

Not sure how long you guys have been watching football but Fitzpatrick is a CLASSIC backup NFL quarterback. A pretty decent one too. I don't want him to win the job because I know he's not a starting QB in the NFL but to say he's a 3rd stringer on most rosters is preposterous.

I've been watching long enough (almost 40 years)...And maybe I'm being a bit hard on Fitz...Though I doubt it...He may be a decent #2 for The Bills or Cincy when they sucked...But on the better NFL Teams I think he's a 3rd String QB and no better, and it's not preposterous whatsoever...The guys got a CAREER 67.7 QB Rating...21 TD's to 27 INT's...How is that "Classic Back-Up" or "pretty decent?"

Good God the bar has fallen awfully low around here... :)

Worked for Jay Cutler.

Who? Where's he now? Will he be the starter this season?

The Bronks traded him to Chicago for Orton!!!

Jay was the subject of most of the praise and criticism involving the Chicago Bears' mercurial season. After starting 3-1, the Bears lost eight of the next ten games (during which the quarterback had a INT-TD ratio of 11:20 and lead the NFL in turnovers), before defeating the Minnesota Vikings and the Detroit Lions in Weeks 16 and 17, respectively. Cutler finished the season with 27 TD, 26 INT, 3,666 YDS, and a passer rating of 76.8. His 26 interceptions led the league.

I don't really get why so many think Brohm is the most likely starter, his career has been a bust so far, all we have are a handful of OTA's upon which to judge the guy. At this point I won't argue with anyone over it because its just waaaaay to early to have any idea who our starter should be.

I'd guess it is due to process of elimination. People probably figure that have seen TE and they have seen Fitz. Neither is a NFL starter, so they are hoping against hope that lightning will strike with Brohm.

I've been watching long enough (almost 40 years)...And maybe I'm being a bit hard on Fitz...Though I doubt it...He may be a decent #2 for The Bills or Cincy when they sucked...But on the better NFL Teams I think he's a 3rd String QB and no better, and it's not preposterous whatsoever...The guys got a CAREER 67.7 QB Rating...21 TD's to 27 INT's...How is that "Classic Back-Up" or "pretty decent?"

Good God the bar has fallen awfully low around here... :)

I agree with you. In my opinion TE is a OK backup. Now all we need is a starter.

Who? Where's he now? Will he be the starter this season?

The Bronks traded him to Chicago for Orton!!!

Jay was the subject of most of the praise and criticism involving the Chicago Bears' mercurial season. After starting 3-1, the Bears lost eight of the next ten games (during which the quarterback had a INT-TD ratio of 11:20 and lead the NFL in turnovers), before defeating the Minnesota Vikings and the Detroit Lions in Weeks 16 and 17, respectively. Cutler finished the season with 27 TD, 26 INT, 3,666 YDS, and a passer rating of 76.8. His 26 interceptions led the league.

More of a joke on the oatmeal....and diabetes. I remember seeing how he got his diabetes under control and was in the best shape of his life. By no means am I bring Cutler into this Edwards vs Fitz thread.

Fitz may be the least gifted QB in this pecking order physically, and his throws are not very accurate, but we played more competitive with him at the helm last year. He seems to be most respected among the group by his teammates, and may be the best leader. TO favored him much more than Trent, calling him a "veteran who has been around the league". TO may be washed up and egotistical, but he knows what winning takes, and he favored Fitz.

Watching games, it looked like Fitz knew where to go with the football and read defenses better than Trent. His throws wern't on the money too often, but he went downfield and took chances, not to mention hes not injury prone. They may have said brohm had a good OTA, and trent looks like "the most talented", but fitz is smart and tough, and Fewell went down the stretch with him last year when he was trying to win games, not Trent, and it wasn't even a discussion.

At this point, unless Gailey really sees potential in Brohm as a good QB and wants to develop him, I think its 40-40-20 in the Trent/Fitz/Brohm race.

The thing about Fitz that everyone seems to agree on is that he is what he is.

Trent has potential, maybe Gailey can figure out a way to make his game work.

Brohm has more potential, maybe he can get that college swagger back.

Of course Brown is 100% potential. I have to admit, there is something about Browns attitude that makes me think he can play and attitude is atleast 51% of being a QB.

Right now we dont need a "he is what he is" kind of QB. We need someone who has potential to grow into more than that.

Cut Fitz.

TE or BB as 1 and 2. LB as the developmental 3rd.

Fitz may be the least gifted QB in this pecking order physically, and his throws are not very accurate, but we played more competitive with him at the helm last year. He seems to be most respected among the group by his teammates, and may be the best leader. TO favored him much more than Trent, calling him a "veteran who has been around the league". TO may be washed up and egotistical, but he knows what winning takes, and he favored Fitz.

Watching games, it looked like Fitz knew where to go with the football and read defenses better than Trent. His throws wern't on the money too often, but he went downfield and took chances, not to mention hes not injury prone. They may have said brohm had a good OTA, and trent looks like "the most talented", but fitz is smart and tough, and Fewell went down the stretch with him last year when he was trying to win games, not Trent, and it wasn't even a discussion.

At this point, unless Gailey really sees potential in Brohm as a good QB and wants to develop him, I think its 40-40-20 in the Trent/Fitz/Brohm race.

Fitz sucks, period. Career back up at best, and even then who knows if he could get you 2 out of 4 wins due to a 4 game injury to your starter. In my opinion, Fitz should have already been cut and Levi Brown should be getting his reps!

Oh, another thing I wanted to add.

I dont think Gailey is really sure about anyone yet. He is rotating people in the offense so much that even when Edwards or whoever is taking snaps with the first team, that "first team" could be made up of practice squad guys and guys who wont make the final 53.

I think Gailey is trying to get a true feel for his personnel. He wants to review some more tape over the break and think about what he has seen in camp so far.

Then we will see one of these QBs, hopefully Fitz, get cut early on in Training camp.