Felser article on Gailey

ACor58

I thought it was an interesting stream-of-unconsciousness piece by Felser. He connected some interesting dots. I thought that this was a an interesting comment, too:

"It's been almost six months since Gailey was hired and a large chunk of the sporting public here is still treating him like a pariah."

My sense of the mood amongst Bills fans is that Gailey was not a popular hire but since then, a combination of optimism, resignation, and ultimately acceptance has set in. It seems to me that the prevailing sentiment is that "this guy might have a chance to succeed, let's give him that chance and see what he can do."

Felser might not have his finger on the pulse as much as he used to.

I like Felser, but I'm not convinced he even has a pulse anymore.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No meat in this article. Could have written a better piece.

Felser has no idea what he's talking about, but whats new about that? He has always been an overated hack. Longevity does not equal insight, which he has never had. After all his years covering the NFL, it was his brilliant insight and expert opinion that the Bills should draft Flutie with the #1 pick in the 1985 NFL (Bills drafted a guy named Bruce Smith and Flutie lasted until the 5th round) An excellent example of the typical Buffalo sportswriter who has zero inside information/sources, and very limited football knowledge

As Felser says (even though he's totally off-base on the fans wanting Parcells), we should wait until the team plays games before making a determination. But I can't see anyone in their right mind claiming that Gailey is worse than Jauron, even if his/her QB isn't picked to start.

Joe Gibbs started off 0-5 in his 1st stint with Washington. If it takes Gailey that long to get things rolling, around week 5 or 6, with the QB they didn't want in there, you'll see a bunch of anti-Gailey posts. I remember sitting in the stands an hour before our home opener in 1998. We had been on the road & were 0-2. A guy sits down several rows below us & yells out either "Fire Wade" or "Wade Must Go".

Before Pat Summerall "retired" it became very painful to listen to him. Van Miller wasn't the same his last couple of years either. Age doe slow one, and the mind does not always stay sharp either. That may not be politically correct to say, but there is truth there.

What you say is true, and makes even more amazing the continued good work of another old Buffalo sports icon, Dr. Jack Ramsey.

Ramsey used to coach our Buffalo Braves, shortly afterwards coached the Portland Trailblazers to the NBA title (Bill Walton), and continues to work as an analyst for nationally broadcast NBA games, all at the age of 85 years old.

Amazingly, his work is still excellent.

I thought it was an interesting stream-of-unconsciousness piece by Felser. He connected some interesting dots. I thought that this was a an interesting comment, too:

"It's been almost six months since Gailey was hired and a large chunk of the sporting public here is still treating him like a pariah."

My sense of the mood amongst Bills fans is that Gailey was not a popular hire but since then, a combination of optimism, resignation, and ultimately acceptance has set in. It seems to me that the prevailing sentiment is that "this guy might have a chance to succeed, let's give him that chance and see what he can do."

Felser might not have his finger on the pulse as much as he used to.

Agreed. I'm actually fairly shocked that he hasn't been bash more. He wasn't even on the radar when we were looking for coaches but I think enough things have come out to suggest he is a very solid coach.

It also seems that most fans are going to give him a pass on this year. And while I'm glad people are be realistic with their expectations, I think the team believes that compete this year.

What you say is true, and makes even more amazing the continued good work of another old Buffalo sports icon, Dr. Jack Ramsey.

Ramsey used to coach our Buffalo Braves, shortly afterwards coached the Portland Trailblazers to the NBA title (Bill Walton), and continues to work as an analyst for nationally broadcast NBA games, all at the age of 85 years old.

Dr. Jack is a stud. He's still so "with it.'.............Felser's articles aren't bad for a once a week thing - I don't mind the historical comparisons he's always making. The Tuna reference to today didn't make sense, though.........But, then again, I like reading those new things they have in the news with this day in sports history. (And, I think Greg Connors is really funny in those 5 jokes on the 2nd page thing)

Felser has no idea what he's talking about, but whats new about that? He has always been an overated hack. Longevity does not equal insight, which he has never had. After all his years covering the NFL, it was his brilliant insight and expert opinion that the Bills should draft Flutie with the #1 pick in the 1985 NFL (Bills drafted a guy named Bruce Smith and Flutie lasted until the 5th round) An excellent example of the typical Buffalo sportswriter who has zero inside information/sources, and very limited football knowledge

I'll call bupkis on that.

Once upon a time, Larry was one of the top NFL columnists of his day, with sources everywhere. The current Snooze columnists pale in comparison when it comes to knowledge and contacts, as do 80% of the folks covering teams in other NFL cities.

Age is clearly a factor with his current stuff, but I'd love to have someone half as good as Felser was in his prime to read each Monday during the season...

He is a physical marvel and his mental faculties are still very sharpe. As you stated his work is still at an exceptionally high level. His radio work is very enjoyable to listen to. His analysis is usually spot on and very crisp. There is very little "manufactured" enthusiasm or gimmickery in his broadcasts.

I remember when he coached the Buffalo Braves. One game I attended I observed almost all the players on the opposing team come up to him during the warm ups and shake his hand. He is a genuinely nice and well respected man.

From what I've seen around here, people are giving Gailey too much credit & think he'll be a miracle worker with at least one of our QBs. I don't see any Gailey is worse than Jauron posts, at least not yet. I'm sure at some point we will, especially when the poster's guy is not picked as the starting QB & the guy he hates the most is.

Yeah, we may have seen such reactions 'round here in the past, eh Harv?

Felser employs the same technique as message board posters seeking to defend the FO.

Claim "some people wanted X" then detail how X sucks and/or isn't as good as whomever was chose (at much less cost) instead of X.

This was just used by a poster with respect to Charlie Whitehurst.

I'll call bupkis on that.

Once upon a time, Larry was one of the top NFL columnists of his day, with sources everywhere. The current Snooze columnists pale in comparison when it comes to knowledge and contacts, as do 80% of the folks covering teams in other NFL cities.

Age is clearly a factor with his current stuff, but I'd love to have someone half as good as Felser was in his prime to read each Monday during the season...

Once upon a time? In 1985, maybe. When with all the sources he had "everywhere" as you state, his take was to draft Flutie with the number one pick overall in the draft, when in fact the draft had Flutie lasting until round 5. Great sources there - great demonstration of football knowledge

Is it like the stages of grief? Denial, anger, bargaining, depression acceptance.

Felser employs the same technique as message board posters seeking to defend the FO.

Claim "some people wanted X" then detail how X sucks and/or isn't as good as whomever was chose (at much less cost) instead of X.

This was just used by a poster with respect to Charlie Whitehurst.

Um, Charlie Whitehurst ISN'T good. And as I showed, with Parcells, it's a case of diminishing returns.

And as I showed, with Parcells, it's a case of diminishing returns.

I understand your point, but don't think it is as clear cut as that. (He doesn't coach the Dolphins, and wearing just one hat at this point is probably best for him and the team.)

Parcells has had a long history of leaving situations for various reasons; at the very least, one knows he is temperamental. He turned around some of the worst franchises going, organizations that were totally dysfunctional. That takes a tremendous amount of energy and force of will. It's not surprising that he had health and burn out issues. It is also not surprising that many of the people he trained in various capacities are running multiple franchises around the NFL, including the team that won the last Super Bowl. In a way, Parcells beat Polian again.

I think Larry got his "Bills" mixed up, i.e., Cowher vs. Parsells. I am glad to see that his editors just give him a pass.

http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/06/26/1095...o-judgment.html

Felser has seemed out of touch. Parcells is the GM in Miami and has been for two years. I remember a couple of years ago Felser compared a young JP Losman to Terry Bradshaw. :)

I think Larry got his "Bills" mixed up, i.e., Cowher vs. Parsells. I am glad to see that his editors just give him a pass.

http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/06/26/1095...o-judgment.html

I've often thought that his recent articles seem a little under-researched. It's like TBN is just so happy he's still writing for them (probably for next to nothing) that they just print whatever he sends no matter how absurd it is. Not only did no one ask for Parcells as far as I can remember, but he was still working for the Phins. I think there was a two week period where people speculated that he would not be retained until the owner came out and said he would be.

I understand your point, but don't think it is as clear cut as that. (He doesn't coach the Dolphins, and wearing just one hat at this point is probably best for him and the team.)

Parcells has had a long history of leaving situations for various reasons; at the very least, one knows he is temperamental. He turned around some of the worst franchises going, organizations that were totally dysfunctional. That takes a tremendous amount of energy and force of will. It's not surprising that he had health and burn out issues. It is also not surprising that many of the people he trained in various capacities are running multiple franchises around the NFL, including the team that won the last Super Bowl. In a way, Parcells beat Polian again.

I'll give you that Parcells isn't coaching the Dols and has turned around franchises, but the diminishing returns are noteworthy. And he wouldn't GM or coach the Bills in any case.