New Iphone can do everything but make phone calls

Fingon

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-20008731-233.html

Reports are surfacing that some iPhone 4 users are unwittingly strangling reception via the metal antennas surrounding the phone's body.

Some iPhone 4 owners in the U.S. are noticing that touching the seams--particularly when holding the iPhone 4 in their bare left hands--interrupts reception, slowly causing the phone to lose its signal.

Using an accessory, like the $29 rubber bumper Apple sells to protect the iPhone, would also break your skin's conductivity and eliminate the problem. Apple has been pushing its bumper--essentially a $30 rubber band--pretty hard, which makes us wonder if the company's marketing strategy is a cover-up for a known reception issue.

lol

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ive seen differing reports from different sources. the couple people i know who got theirs do not experience this problem with the signal dropping. my coworkers friend will lose 2 bars but not all of them. who knows.

either way, im not surprised that there are problems with a new piece of technology on it's release.

ive seen differing reports from different sources. the couple people i know who got theirs do not experience this problem with the signal dropping. my coworkers friend will lose 2 bars but not all of them. who knows.

either way, im not surprised that there are problems with a new piece of technology on it's release.

Except these issues should have been fixed befor they mailed out the millions that they did this week. Terrible job by the Apple company.

My cousins screen is awful.

Except these issues should have been fixed befor they mailed out the millions that they did this week. Terrible job by the Apple company.

My cousins screen is awful.

sure, just like all the other problems every other piece of technology has on roll out day SHOULD have been fixed before they were released. but that rarely happens.

SHOULD is a deadly word in IT/Technology.

the only way to really avoid these issues is to never buy something on or near the release, and wait at least a few months until they see what the problems are and address them. nothing gets released without issue. nothing. we're just hearing about this because everyone thinks the iphone is a big deal and people love to bash/complain.

sure, just like all the other problems every other piece of technology has on roll out day SHOULD have been fixed before they were released. but that rarely happens.

the only way to really avoid these issues is to never buy something on or near the release, and wait at least a few months until they see what the problems are and address them. nothing gets released without issue. nothing. we're just hearing about this because everyone thinks the iphone is a big deal and people love to bash/complain.

I agree with you on the not buying it right away part. Thats why i didnt cancel my contract 2 months early, I'm gona wait. I know everything is going to have its primary issues up on first release. I just think the dropped call thing should have been know about.

Considering its a PHONE!!!

I agree with you on the not buying it right away part. Thats why i didnt cancel my contract 2 months early, I'm gona wait. I know everything is going to have its primary issues up on first release. I just think the dropped call thing should have been know about.

Considering its a PHONE!!!

given the state of AT&T's network over the past 2 years, it would be hard for testers to tell if that was the phone or just AT&T's typical service :w00t:

Are you kidding me? This bug crucial to the very operation of the phone. Being able to make a phone call while holding your phone is HUGE !@#$ING DEAL.

Are you kidding me? This bug crucial to the very operation of the phone. Being able to make a phone call while holding your phone is HUGE !@#$ING DEAL.

i have not heard that this is happening on every single phone. as ive said, the people i actually talked to said their phones are fine.

So, how's that Courier working out for you? Is the battery life good?

Anyway, I'm not an apologist for Apple like some are for their pet companies. So, this design flaw is pretty bad - but, in reality it probably isn't THAT big of a deal (minus the embarrassment).

I've seen hundreds of iphones being carried by people. I only remember one person that didn't have a case and he beat the piss out of it. So, people will make a bigger deal of it than it really is because some people have too much time on their hands.

Regardless, Apple will have to do something. You might see a release where they coat the antenna before it ships or something. We'll see.

Apples days of dominance in the smartphone are numbered. Too much good competition out there in both hardware and open source app development. I think sooner rather than later Apple is going to have to cut the cord with AT&T and increase access by letting other carriers sell their phone. This will keep them in the game I believe.

Heh. Reminds of my days in automotive. Style over function. I wouldn't begin to recount the battles with auto stylists (arty people, often the worthless son or the oh-so-cute daughter of this or that big swinging d*ck who was a well-connected glad-handed, toothy, highly overpaid company lifer).