Puzzle of the Day

bartshan-83

I got one of those daily calendars on my desk and it has a puzzle, word game, trivia, etc. every day. I spend a few minutes on it each morning when I get in. Some are fun, some are stupid. As long as they aren't too dumb, I'll try to post the daily one each day.

I'll start you off with a pretty easy one from today:

A sealed rectangular box measuring 8x6x18 contains 864 sugar cubes, each measuring 1x1x1. How many of the sugar cubes are touching the box?

269?

Edit:

That's wrong. Gotta be 864-(6*4*16)=480

Trying to figure this out. Did you take into account that the corner pieces are touching the wall 2x's and would only count as one. The number just does not seem right to me. I did the same math. It seems a little high.

I got 269 for my first guess

then 384 not sure how i got that number. . .

To get the 296, I took the 8x6x18 and took one off each dimension. After I posted, I realized I should have taken two off each dimension. Figure out how many AREN'T touching (i.e., use each dimension minus two to determine it's volume) then subtract that from 864.

BillsFanInTexas, I think you are counting some of the cubes two or three times.

8 wide x 6 high x 18 long

Top & bottom = 18x8 = 144x2 = 288

Long sides = 18x(6-2) = 72x2 = 144 (-2 for top and bottom edges already counted)

Ends = (8-2)x(6-2) = 24x2 = 48 (-2 both times for all 4 edges already counted)

sum = 480

To get the 296, I took the 8x6x18 and took one off each dimension. After I posted, I realized I should have taken two off each dimension. Figure out how many AREN'T touching (i.e., use each dimension minus two to determine it's volume) then subtract that from 864.

BillsFanInTexas, I think you are counting some of the cubes two or three times.

Figured it the same way. Cubes touching = (total cubes) - (cubes not touching), where (cubes not touching) is bounded by a box 2" smaller in each dimension (1" for each exterior rectangle of cubes). Easiest way to do it.

Stuck, y'aint right.. :censored:

Likely so - my info is at least 30 years old. I used so last week because I know that youngsters use the expression - several years ago. I suppose. That's the best I can do! :thumbsup:

BTW - your Best Street bus incident - 1967? 1968? I remember the so-called "Shotgun Line" along Bailey (I think) down by William that stopped the rioters that were burning up and looting the Fruit Belt.