Roger Goodell 'It's clear' NFL no longer needs

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nf...-schedule_N.htm

Commissioner Roger Goodell says the NFL no longer needs four preseason games, but the league should change its offseason training programs.

"It's clear the fans don't want four preseason games," Goodell said Thursday after speaking to high school players at an NFL football clinic in Queens. "It's clear the players don't want four preseason games. They tell me that all the time. You ask them that question and they'll tell you. And we really don't need it to make the game better. So we have to evolve just as we did a couple of decades ago when we went from six preseason games to four."

Now maybe Cinderella Brady can stop whining about playing 20 games a season. BTW when was the last time the old bag of bones played 20 games?

NFL and union officials discussed adding two games to the regular season when they met Wednesday for their first negotiating session since February. Teams would still play a total of 20 exhibition plus regular-season games under the proposal. The league would go from four in the preseason and 16 in the regular season to two and 18.

Players have expressed concerns about an increase in injuries. Goodell suggested adjustments in the offseason programs could alleviate that.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nf...-schedule_N.htm

Commissioner Roger Goodell says the NFL no longer needs four preseason games, but the league should change its offseason training programs.

"It's clear the fans don't want four preseason games," Goodell said Thursday after speaking to high school players at an NFL football clinic in Queens. "It's clear the players don't want four preseason games. They tell me that all the time. You ask them that question and they'll tell you. And we really don't need it to make the game better. So we have to evolve just as we did a couple of decades ago when we went from six preseason games to four."

Now maybe Cinderella Brady can stop whining about playing 20 games a season. BTW when was the last time the old bag of bones played 20 games?

NFL and union officials discussed adding two games to the regular season when they met Wednesday for their first negotiating session since February. Teams would still play a total of 20 exhibition plus regular-season games under the proposal. The league would go from four in the preseason and 16 in the regular season to two and 18.

Players have expressed concerns about an increase in injuries. Goodell suggested adjustments in the offseason programs could alleviate that.

But the players also don't want to extend the reg season by two games either. Can't say I blame them. Can they add a 17th game? Where do you play it? Home, away or neutral site? Can they add another week to the playoffs? Maybe add 2-4 teams? Not crazy about that idea either. As much as i would enjoy more football I can't see how adding games doesn't hurt the players physically.

However I am in favor of expanding rosters and changing the IR rules so a player could come back. As for extending the season maybe they can add a second bye week? I like my idea of adding Tuesday and Wednesday games and have a teams coming off bye weeks play. That could work if they add a 2nd bye.

PTR

Preseason games:

1st: Starters play 1-3 series. Scrubs play rest.

2nd: Starters play 1-3 series. Scrubs play rest.

3rd: Starters play one half. Scrubs play rest.

4th: Starters play 1-2 series. Scrubs play rest.

The NFL preseason is a joke. Charging full price for these games is a crime. And don't give me the assessing the talent bullcrap. Coaches know from practice whether a guy can play or not.

Preseason could be cut down to two games, even with a 16 game regular season. But what Goddell is positiong for is really to lengthen the season to increase revenue. And cutting preseason games is the way he'll sell it.

Preseason games:

1st: Starters play 1-3 series. Scrubs play rest.

2nd: Starters play 1-3 series. Scrubs play rest.

3rd: Starters play one half. Scrubs play rest.

4th: Starters play 1-2 series. Scrubs play rest.

The NFL preseason is a joke. Charging full price for these games is a crime. And don't give me the assessing the talent bullcrap. Coaches know from practice whether a guy can play or not.

Preseason could be cut down to two games, even with a 16 game regular season. But what Goddell is positiong for is really to lengthen the season to increase revenue. And cutting preseason games is the way he'll sell it.

I don't really mind the 4 pre-season games...but, like you, I think it is absurd that the NFL charges full price admission for these games. I just kind of like the tradition, the ebb and flow of training camp, pre-season, regular season. Don't be so sure that coaches know who can play and who can't. Remember, Fred Jackson only got face time with the Bills, because of injuries.

Most NFL vets will say that they hate training camp/pre-season, but they will also admit, this is the time that a team builds its' persona for the regular season.

You would think they could use the pre-season games as a way a getting people who can't afford regular season games anymore, families, etc...but, of course, the NFL is never going to come up with a solution to any of their problems, where the solution includes making less money.

I also understand the complaints of the players. Sure, they make a ton of money, they should keep their mouths shut. But, I feel like the 2 extra games would water the level of play down some more...personally, I think the level of play, across the board (not just the Bills) has dipped considerably over the last few years...who wants to see key games late in the season, where the best players are sitting in the stands, with injuries? The more times the players take the field, the greater their chance of getting injured is.

When the Bills or any other team sell season tickets are the preseason games part of the total package? Is there a way of buying a season ticket without including preseason games? Could a person wait for the season to start and then buy a season ticket which doesn't include preseason games and the cost of those meaningless and wretched to watch games?

Are the preseason games sold at a lesser price than a regular season game?

When the Bills or any other team sell season tickets are the preseason games part of the total package? Is there a way of buying a season ticket without including preseason games? Could a person wait for the season to start and then buy a season ticket which doesn't include preseason games and the cost of those meaningless and wretched to watch games?

Are the preseason games sold at a lesser price than a regular season game?

They're part of the season ticket package...full price.

As far as buying a season ticket package after the preseason, that would be tricky. Teams set aside a set number of season ticket packages until the final preseason game. Immediately after the final preseason game, they release the season ticket packages as individual seats. Not sure if you could buy a season ticket package immediately after the final preseason game

They're part of the season ticket package...full price.

As far as buying a season ticket package after the preseason, that would be tricky. Teams set aside a set number of season ticket packages until the final preseason game. Immediately after the final preseason game, they release the season ticket packages as individual seats. Not sure if you could buy a season ticket package immediately after the final preseason game

Thanks for the explanation. What it comes down to is that they got you coming and they got you going. Those baastards. :thumbsup:

ESPN Clayton

I am sure most of read this in Clayton's Mailbag but his thoughts were pretty telling to this topic...

Eighteen games might scare players initially because of injuries, but in reality, the veterans will be exposed to injury for only about a quarter or two longer than the current system. In the current four-game preseason, veterans play about six or seven quarters. The extra two regular-season games would add only eight quarters to the regular season, and the league is still maintaining the 20-game format of total games played.

Although there is a downside to an 18-game schedule, I'm for it as long as it allows both sides to reach a labor deal that prevents a lockout. The extra revenue that would go to owners would allow the owners to talk players into a lower percentage player-cost formula without having players take a pay cut.

More regular-season games means larger base salaries for players, and players ultimately can't complain about getting more money.

I tend to agree this will help stop a lockout

But the players also don't want to extend the reg season by two games either. Can't say I blame them. Can they add a 17th game? Where do you play it? Home, away or neutral site? Can they add another week to the playoffs? Maybe add 2-4 teams? Not crazy about that idea either. As much as i would enjoy more football I can't see how adding games doesn't hurt the players physically.

However I am in favor of expanding rosters and changing the IR rules so a player could come back. As for extending the season maybe they can add a second bye week? I like my idea of adding Tuesday and Wednesday games and have a teams coming off bye weeks play. That could work if they add a 2nd bye.

PTR

Stop crying! 18 regular season games works for the fans. Who supports the league the players or the fans?

ESPN Clayton

Although there is a downside to an 18-game schedule, I'm for it as long as it allows both sides to reach a labor deal that prevents a lockout. The extra revenue that would go to owners would allow the owners to talk players into a lower percentage player-cost formula without having players take a pay cut.

More regular-season games means larger base salaries for players, and players ultimately can't complain about getting more money.

Funny, I wonder where they think all of this "extra revenue" will be coming from? If ticket prices continue to rise, the fans won't even be able to pay season ticket prices for the 16 games that exist now. Whether the NFL likes it or not, their profits are subject to the ups and downs of the US economy. If everyone else is suffering, it's likely that they will too. Just like the stock market and housing prices, the league is not guaranteed to grow X percent every year. They should be concerned about retaining the good reputation and product that they currently have.

PTR

I agree that it's well past the time to change the IR rules. Frankly, I never truly understood why it had to be for

the remainder of the year. Also, giving teams a bit more flexibility with the roster would also be a good thing.

I also understand the complaints of the players. Sure, they make a ton of money, they should keep their mouths shut. But, I feel like the 2 extra games would water the level of play down some more...personally, I think the level of play, across the board (not just the Bills) has dipped considerably over the last few years...who wants to see key games late in the season, where the best players are sitting in the stands, with injuries? The more times the players take the field, the greater their chance of getting injured is.

It certainly would put an end to numerous "benchmarks" we talk about. Crowing about a 1,000 yard rusher would be crowing about a chap that gains 56 yards/game average, less than today's paltry 63 rush yard average. Same for everything else on offense and defense.

I agree that it's well past the time to change the IR rules. Frankly, I never truly understood why it had to be for

the remainder of the year. Also, giving teams a bit more flexibility with the roster would also be a good thing.

Back in the '80s and '90s, good teams (Bills included) would put rookies on IR for 6 weeks so they wouldn't lose them to other teams. Then when a player was injured, the rookies would be activated and ready to play. It was called stashing players back then. The Redskins were accused often.

Goodell is a moron and has been since the day he took over. The ENTIRE preseason should be eliminated and the regular season should be shortened to 14 games. This will cut down on injuries to players than we pay to see and will prevent starters from being benched at the end, as there would be less time to pull away