Time get get TO back for a reduced salary

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He would help and may have a little bit more to prove this year.

I thought you want the Bills to improve? If T.O. couldn't "prove" himself last season, what makes you think his problem is he just needs more motivation? What he needs is a cart load of HGH.

PTR

I thought you want the Bills to improve? If T.O. couldn't "prove" himself last season, what makes you think his problem is he just needs more motivation? What he needs is a cart load of HGH.

PTR

Do they even drug test players not currently on a NFL roster??

TO was average, at best, last season, for the Bills. He was a "model citizen" off the field, because the coaching staff let him do as he pleased. He stated, the best thing about playing for the Bills, for him, was that he was allowed to practice, and participate when/if he desired. A new coach, trying to turn around a losing program, does not need a guy like that. I don't doubt that Owens could still be moderately productive for some team, but he makes even less sense for the Bills in 2010, than he did in 2009.

Say no to T.O. for a second stint. We need to let the young guys play and see if they have what it takes to be WR's in the NFL. I hope that Hardy, Johnson, Easley, Jackson, or whoever shows some promise.

T.O. might have refrained from verbally causing trouble last year with his "no comment", or "I'm just doing my job, just running the routes called", routine, but his behavior, his demeanor, his attitude, and especially the times he obviously gave up on plays out on the field, were all negatives, in my opinion.

Let these young recievers who probably have enough talent between them (Hardy, Johnson, Easley - and just maybe even Parrish) get a chance here. The attitude with which these guys approach practice and games is far more important than is sometimes given credit; having a bunch of young, energetic guys, having something to prove, competing - that energy will carry over onto the field. Right now this team has no identity. Right now these guys are free to go out this season and create a new team. I think we'll be pleasantly surprised by how these recievers handle themselves on the field this year.

...Not to mention - New Orleans greatest strength offensively is that the opponent never knows who's going to be getting the ball. They get everyone involved, and they never appear to be zeroing in on anyone. You could practically see N.E.'s defensive player's heads spinning last year when N.E. got spanked - they didn't know who to defend.

When you've got a guy like T.O. - who demands the ball, or else he starts pouting and going half!@#$#@ss'd, then you're giving the defense the advantage. In this regard, anonymity might be our greatest weapon this year.

PTR

The results last year are positive proof that there were limits to TO's game. However, pretty difficult to truthfully deny (by anyone who is driven by reality rather their own preconceived notions) is that a significant part of the lack of results were not caused primarily by TO issues but were based in the Bills not running anywhere near an adequate O last year.

This is not a claim that TO is a great player. He is not.

However, the question which confronts the Bills is simply one of which whether they can get a better player at the cash level they are willing to pay for a #2 WR?

The answer to that question right now is pretty clearly maybe or maybe not.

It is quite possible that Hardy, Steve Johnson, or even the much maligned Parrish might develop into an acceptable #2. However, none of these players has offered any real world proof that they are capable of producing as a #2. One can easily be also hopeful about Easley, but hope is about the best one can credibly claim for any rookie.

TO is not the player he was when he was younger and without a doubt put up HOF worthy #s, but the simple fact is that even a former HOF level receiver who is lucky enough to get older has proven a lot more than any of the Bills developing WRs have.

The argument that some seem to want to trot out that by keeping TO around it costs the quality rookies development time seems to be only worthy of the comment that the Bills coaches do not seem to think this way. Competition seems to be what they are all about and Gailey is on record saying that it is impossible to have too many good players on the roster and also has identified instant TD producers as something this team needs.

I think TO is done as the #1 WR he used to be but I have few doubts the Bills would sign him if the price was right. The likely perspective is that if Hardy, Johnson, etc are not good enough to force the Bills to give them practice reps over TO then this is proof they are not good enough (yet) to start in games. This strategy of playing losers in hopes that one day they will develop into winners really inly is a guarantee of losing right now.

If TO is forced by the market to come down in price I am pretty confident the Bills would sign him and this sets up the good situation that if one of our developing WEs is good enough they will sit TO and if TO throws a hissy fit then like Moulds experienced with the Bills they sit him and then cut him.

I have no problem with any of that.

I would not be against the Bills bringing in a proven #2 WR to play with Evans, If the "young guys" are good, they can show it to the coaches and make the coaches put them in. I don't like guys being given the spot just to see if they can play, make them prove they are players with some competition for the spot. Every spot should be up for grabs with competition.

I would just say no to TO cause he isn't worth it and hasn't done anything in the last few years to show he is worth bringing in besides dropping balls and giving a half-@ssed effort on plays he knows aren't going to him

The results last year are positive proof that there were limits to TO's game. However, pretty difficult to truthfully deny (by anyone who is driven by reality rather their own preconceived notions) is that a significant part of the lack of results were not caused primarily by TO issues but were based in the Bills not running anywhere near an adequate O last year.

However, the question which confronts the Bills is simply one of which whether they can get a better player at the cash level they are willing to pay for a #2 WR?

It is quite possible that Hardy, Steve Johnson, or even the much maligned Parrish might develop into an acceptable #2. However, none of these players has offered any real world proof that they are capable of producing as a #2. One can easily be also hopeful about Easley, but hope is about the best one can credibly claim for any rookie.

TO is not the player he was when he was younger and without a doubt put up HOF worthy #s, but the simple fact is that even a former HOF level receiver who is lucky enough to get older has proven a lot more than any of the Bills developing WRs have.

The argument that some seem to want to trot out that by keeping TO around it costs the quality rookies development time seems to be only worthy of the comment that the Bills coaches do not seem to think this way. Competition seems to be what they are all about and Gailey is on record saying that it is impossible to have too many good players on the roster and also has identified instant TD producers as something this team needs.

I think TO is done as the #1 WR he used to be but I have few doubts the Bills would sign him if the price was right. The likely perspective is that if Hardy, Johnson, etc are not good enough to force the Bills to give them practice reps over TO then this is proof they are not good enough (yet) to start in games. This strategy of playing losers in hopes that one day they will develop into winners really inly is a guarantee of losing right now.

If TO is forced by the market to come down in price I am pretty confident the Bills would sign him and this sets up the good situation that if one of our developing WEs is good enough they will sit TO and if TO throws a hissy fit then like Moulds experienced with the Bills they sit him and then cut him.

Umm...the Bills told Owens they were not interested in bringing him back, period. I don't think his salary had anything to do with it. We know a lot more about what Owens can bring to this team (not much on the field) than we do about what guys like Hardy, Johnson and Easley can add to it. With Owens, or without him, this team is very likely not going to win more than it loses this season... your argument that guys like Johnson and Hardy not being good enough to take reps from Owens last season is way off base. You are giving the previous coaching staff far too much credit. If it was up to them, Fred Jackson would likely have never seen the field. Jauron, and company, may not be the best evaluators of talent. They would have never had the balls to bench Owens (he was making too much money to sit on the bench, and he would, IMO, have proven to be a great distraction), in favor of Hardy or Johnson. I don't mean to say that Hardy and Johnson may not turn out to be stiffs, but we will never know if they don't play. This roster has already had a lot of changes, you can bet there will be more in year two of this regime. Again, Owens wouldn't really add anything to the mix, even if he played the way he did last year, and was a solid citizen. I do think Owens could be more valuable, to a team that is closer to contention than the Bills. I think he will end up with Tennessee.

Is it possible TO would turn us down if we offered??? Not saying he would, but I think it is reasonable to think he may turn us down (in which case, we would probably never hear @ it). If it were in the off-season, he may say..."I'll wait to see if a better offer comes around". I'm not saying, I'm just sayin'...

The Bills are not re-signing TO for one simple reason. This season is a building block for the future. So what if TO plays better than Easley, Johnson or Hardy today. When the guy who emerges from this bunch is playing on a team that is a legitimate contender, TO won't be around. It's not always about today, sometimes you form your roster with an eye on tomorrow-TO has very few tomorrows left. One of the 3 other WRs might just have a lot of tomorrows-in Buffalo.

He would help and may have a little bit more to prove this year.

They don't need the F'n BUM. He drops too many passes in critical situations. There is a reason (other than his obvious character issues) WHY he isn't signed...the guy is washed up...finished, history.

Is it possible TO would turn us down if we offered??? Not saying he would, but I think it is reasonable to think he may turn us down (in which case, we would probably never hear @ it). If it were in the off-season, he may say..."I'll wait to see if a better offer comes around". I'm not saying, I'm just sayin'...

I also doubt he'd want to return. But the Bills could use him.