Terrell Troup

I was thinking about a fan post I read the other day, I can't remember what the title was or what it was supposed to be about.,but everyone started to talk about Torell Troup and the fact that he has to play well, for our defense to be successful. It struck me as odd because there was little disagreement on this matter.

I was thinking about the truth in that summary, when it dawned on me that he has to play well for the whole team to be sucessful.

Think about it, if he gets shoved all over the field this year, rookie or not, that's a lousy pick. He's a very high draft choice and Nix and Modrak stated that your ones and twos (draft choices) have to be able to play as rookies. I for one, for the most part, agree with that statement.

And if he's a lousy pick, he will remind you of a another lousy pick; John McCargo. McCargo was drafted under the same circumstance as Terrel. Drafted way higher than most had him rated. This continuity suggests perhaps that the same guy drafted them, and that guy would be Tom Modrak . Not only that, but his boss, Buddy Nix approved it. So, it would suggest that it is highly likely that we will have to start from scratch soon, yet again.

So if we want to learn if the Bills new braintrust knows how to find talent, and we do; Torel Troup's rookie season will be as good indicator as anything....

All Hail Torrel Troup!

Terell Troup!

GO BILLS

I was thinking about a fan post I read the other day, I can't remember what the title was or what it was supposed to be about.,but everyone started to talk about Torell Troup and the fact that he has to play well, for our defense to be successful. It struck me as odd because there was little disagreement on this matter.

I was thinking about the truth in that summary, when it dawned on me that he has to play well for the whole team to be sucessful.

Think about it, if he gets shoved all over the field this year, rookie or not, that's a lousy pick. He's a very high draft choice and Nix and Modrak stated that your ones and twos (draft choices) have to be able to play as rookies. I for one, for the most part, agree with that statement.

And if he's a lousy pick, he will remind you of a another lousy pick; John McCargo. McCargo was drafted under the same circumstance as Terrel. Drafted way higher than most had him rated. This continuity suggests perhaps that the same guy drafted them, and that guy would be Tom Modrak . Not only that, but his boss, Buddy Nix approved it. So, it would suggest that it is highly likely that we will have to start from scratch soon, yet again.

So if we want to learn if the Bills new braintrust knows how to find talent, and we do; Torel Troup's rookie season will be as good indicator as anything....

All Hail Torrel Troup!

Terell Troup!

GO BILLS

:mellow:

I'm lost. And it is not just because for some reason you decided big text would make it sound better :mellow:.

But I don't see why he has to play well for the whole team to be successful. He aint playing offense or special teams and he aint the only NT on the team. The NT postion is going to be rotational.

The bills success doesn't lean all on troup. To be honest, for this whole team to be successful (make the playoffs) it would take a near miricle or some amazing coaching.

But there is no way our success is going to be good or bad based on a 2nd rounder who hasn't even played a down yet. You have to actually be a franchise player to be THAT important.

Just dont look at the stats too much, over 90% of 1st yr dlineman that last 8 yrs have had below avg #'s, plus being a NT he wont have big #'s anyway.

oh, and mccargo and troup arent remotely close to being the same, aside from both being dlinemen.

I'm lost. And it is not just because for some reason you decided big text would make it sound better :mellow:.

But I don't see why he has to play well for the whole team to be successful. He aint playing offense or special teams and he aint the only NT on the team. The NT postion is going to be rotational.

The bills success doesn't lean all on troup. To be honest, for this whole team to be successful (make the playoffs) it would take a near miricle or some amazing coaching.

But there is no way our success is going to be good or bad based on a 2nd rounder who hasn't even played a down yet. You have to actually be a franchise player to be THAT important.

Because he's a high pick, and a wierd pick (i.e. we took him high when most rated him a forth rounder) His play, by years end, will be a good indicator of our braintrusts (modrak, nix and the guy from pitt) abilty to draft well....

GO BILLS!

I'm lost. And it is not just because for some reason you decided big text would make it sound better :huh:.

I wish they wouldn't have shot off their mouth before the draft, and not announced to 31 other teams that they were going to a 3-4 and were in the market for a NT. Same with the "scatback' pap...grrr. :mellow:

Even the idiot Candy Stripers by the Ohio River realized the value of keeping one's trap shut...

"Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer hasn't decided yet if he's going to show more 3-4 looks out of his base 4-3 this year than in his two previous seasons in Cincinnati. He's not showing his cards. Just to keep foes guessing, he has simplified the scheme and given more players more roles just in case the Bengals do use more 3-4."...

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/New-...93-15d29dc0acf7

Because he's a high pick, and a wierd pick (i.e. we took him high when most rated him a forth rounder) His play, by years end, will be a good indicator of our braintrusts (modrak, nix and the guy from pitt) abilty to draft well....

GO BILLS!

Well, these are the same people (Except Whaley) that picked Byrd in the 2nd round last year, so maybe that indicates somthin?

And it wasn't a wierd pick. The main reason he wasn't rated high by the talking heads was because he came from a small school, and they get a lot less exposure. A lot of people thought terrance cody would be better, but in reality, troup was a safer pick because he was in better shape and didn't have the conditioning issues cody had.

I think last year's draft was really where things changed and nix came aboard. I don't think their standing with the fans is going to depend on this one pick. Especially if a lot of those other picks workout really well. It depends on how the draft class does as a whole, not what one pick does. Last years draft class was pretty good, but maybin still sucked it up, which was kind of expected. But as a whole (byrd, wood, levitre) were great.

Just dont look at the stats too much, over 90% of 1st yr dlineman that last 8 yrs have had below avg #'s, plus being a NT he wont have big #'s anyway.

oh, and mccargo and troup arent remotely close to being the same, aside from both being dlinemen.

I'm well aware of young linemen's rookie woes....but you can see if they have skills or not (if you watch closely or if he gets shoved down the field often).

and about my Mccargo/ Troup comparison....whaddaya mean?!! It doesn't really matter what positions they play! They were both drafted way higher than expected, they were both drafted very high overall, and they were both the second selection of their draft. But I do think the fact that they are both Defensive lineman adds to the familiararity of the 2 picks....

Man you guys are a tough crowd....complaining about text size? nitpicky things,,,,maybe the poster has little computer knowledge and maybe somethin' screwy happend when he was cutting and pastin'; or somethin like that

...so picky...tsk...tsk...tsk

GO BILLS!

Man you guys are a tough crowd....complaining about text size? nitpicky things,,,,maybe the poster has little computer knowledge and maybe somethin' screwy happend when he was cutting and pastin'; or somethin like that

GO BILLS!

Don't deflect, blame your error onto this board's posters. You know full well what is common usage here after your 91 posts. If something "screwy" happened, go back and edit - simple. You have the ability to modify the font and size of what you post.

RIGHT?

That's my theory, barring unpreventable things like injury, illness and other things....

So, spillar, Carrington, Easley can be just awesome this year and troup can suck it up and the front office would still suck? I just don't see how the front office can be judged by one pick. They should be judged by the draft class as a whole.

Last years draft looks REALLY good right now, even though maybin had a terrible rookie season and is a huge question mark. But with wood, levitre, and byrd, that draft class is lookin mighty good so far. Judging by just one pick sounds kinda silly.

Well, these are the same people (Except Whaley) that picked Byrd in the 2nd round last year, so maybe that indicates somthin?

And it wasn't a wierd pick. The main reason he wasn't rated high by the talking heads was because he came from a small school, and they get a lot less exposure. A lot of people thought terrance cody would be better, but in reality, troup was a safer pick because he was in better shape and didn't have the conditioning issues cody had.

I think last year's draft was really where things changed and nix came aboard. I don't think their standing with the fans is going to depend on this one pick. Especially if a lot of those other picks workout really well. It depends on how the draft class does as a whole, not what one pick does. Last years draft class was pretty good, but maybin still sucked it up, which was kind of expected. But as a whole (byrd, wood, levitre) were great.

Your point about byrd, levitre and wood is well taken, but historicly, most great talent gatherers, almost always hit on their high picks and catch a couple low-ones here and there.

And as far as Troup goes...

there are tons of small school players that were well known before the draft and were drafted highly. McCargo and Troup are not two of them....

GO BILLS!

Your point about byrd, levitre and wood is well taken, but historicly, most great talent gatherers, almost always hit on their high picks and catch a couple low-ones here and there.

And as far as Troup goes...

there are tons of small school players that were well known before the draft and were drafted highly. McCargo and Troup are not two of them....

GO BILLS!

I dunno what you are talking about with the low/high picks. Wood was a 1st rounder and byrd was a second rounder (all higher than the spot Troup was taken) and levritre was a second round pick. Those ARE high picks. And I don't know any teams that almost always hit on their high picks (I am guessing you mean top 3 rounds?)

And if high picks are so important, why is troup's success more important than Spillar, who is a first rounder?

All Hail Torrel Troup!

Terell Troup!

GO BILLS

Cut and pasted from the Rumblings site, eh....?

So, spillar, Carrington, Easley can be just awesome this year and troup can suck it up and the front office would still suck? I just don't see how the front office can be judged by one pick. They should be judged by the draft class as a whole.

Last years draft looks REALLY good right now, even though maybin had a terrible rookie season and is a huge question mark. But with wood, levitre, and byrd, that draft class is lookin mighty good so far. Judging by just one pick sounds kinda silly.

Historically, most primo talent evaluators, hit on high picks. I don't think that it's impossible for the braintrust to do well, I think Troup's play will be a good indicator of future success....

And yes, last years draft class is looking very good, point taken!

GO BILLS!

Don't deflect, blame your error onto this board's posters. You know full well what is common usage here after your 91 posts. If something "screwy" happened, go back and edit - simple. You have the ability to modify the font and size of what you post.

RIGHT?

what error???!!!

I dunno what you are talking about with the low/high picks. Wood was a 1st rounder and byrd was a second rounder (all higher than the spot Troup was taken) and levritre was a second round pick. Those ARE high picks. And I don't know any teams that almost always hit on their high picks (I am guessing you mean top 3 rounds?)

And if high picks are so important, why is troup's success more important than Spillar, who is a first rounder?

Troup was a high 2nd rounder as well. I'm not sure were the cut-off line of what a high pick is, but a high 2nd id a high pick.

Look at the Ravens and Colts for the best current GMing, but you're right, noone hits all the time. What I'm trying to say is that troup's play (because of the aforementioned reasoning) will be a good indicator, nothing more....I hope he isn't another McCargo...

Spiller doesn't count because he was, by far, the safest pick in this year's draft, and maybe our staff took him for that reason.....

All Hail Torrel Troup!

Terell Troup!

GO BILLS

Absolutely correct in saying that a lot of our success or lack thereof this year will be the result of Troup's play. He is going to be one of the biggest cogs in the run defense, which should translate into time of possession, which translates to offensive chances, etc, etc.

I agree with this being an important pick for the new FO and one that will show how well they can evaluate talent. Troup was picked early in the 2nd round and basically started a run on NT prospects through the second round and into the third. They had their pick of the NTs and they choose Troup. He's their guy and has to produce this year. It's for this reason I think your comparison to McCargo is way off. McCargo was a reach out of need. There were no other DTs taken until late in the third or fourth round that year - basically not a good year for DTs. In the case of Troup, they took him because they thought he was the best, not because that's all that was left.

I'm well aware of young linemen's rookie woes....but you can see if they have skills or not (if you watch closely or if he gets shoved down the field often).

and about my Mccargo/ Troup comparison....whaddaya mean?!! It doesn't really matter what positions they play! They were both drafted way higher than expected, they were both drafted very high overall, and they were both the second selection of their draft. But I do think the fact that they are both Defensive lineman adds to the familiararity of the 2 picks....

GO BILLS!

Cut and pasted from the Rumblings site, eh....?

You ain't in Kansas anymore, buddy. Buffalorumblings.com is OTAs and this is overtime in the Super Bowl as far as poster intensity is concerned. It's dog eat dog, punch your sister in the face, steal Tim Anderson's lunch pail here.

I think that...

in order for Troup to succeed, he may also have to be successful at something(as far as being successful at succeeding is concerned). in my experience, that's one of the quickest ways to gain success.

OMG, that's IT !

"we have nothing to succeed at, but success itself." i'm so brilliant.

wait... whud i say ?

AS

I, I don't care if they, if they lay me off either, because I, I told Bill that if he moves my desk one more time, then, then I'm quitting. I'm going to quit. And I told Dom too because they've moved my desk four times. I used to be by the window, where I could see the squirrels and they were merry. But then they switched from the Swingline to the Boston stapler, but I kept my Swingline. They have my staples for the Boston and I kept the staples from the Swingline stapler.

That's my theory, barring unpreventable things like injury, illness and other things....

Ever heard of Bill Walsh? A great eye for talent, one of the best ever. He traded up to get JJ Stokes and called him the next Jerry Rice...I bet you have never heard of JJ Stokes who was never anything more than a 2nd or 3rd WR and basically a bust.

Point is, FO people miss all the time no matter how great the FO. In fact, statistically the FO will be wrong MORE than they are right, but its the ability to find depth and players consistently in each draft...but not every player, even high drafted players are going to pan out.

FYI: We took players below where they were graded in almost every round...and draft grades are meaningless once the season begins.

All Hail Torrel Troup!

Terell Troup!

GO BILLS

It's Torrell Troup. Not Terell, not Torrel or Torel. You have used three names and none of them correct.

There is quite a bit of faulty logic going on there, IMO.

First off, don't discount Kyle Williams. He's a tough, tough player - and his size is not much different than Dallas Cowboys NT - who is considered an up and coming talent - which is to say, Kyle can get it done there. But, our F.O. knows that he'll be better if he doesn't have to play every down. Keeping him fresh will be big. Also, our F.O. took Troupe when there were still a bunch of options at NT - inluding Mount Cody, who by all reports is looking really good so far in Baltimore. Our scouts and evaluators must've seen some very special things in Troupe to go ahead as quickly as they did with the pick. Even if he just holds his own, it'll be an o.k. pick. Consider players like B.J. Raji and Ziggy Hood, and there's another guy who looked a lot like Warren Sapp who came out - did he go to the Saints? - but, these guys have been pretty silent in their rookie campaigns, and no one is saying they are busts. It'll take time for these rookies, but my guess is that he'll play alright for us, despite being a rookie, because I don't think our coaches will ask more of him than he'll be capable of.

All Hail Torrel Troup!

Terell Troup!

GO BILLS

I love the whole mentality that somebody needs to be 330 to play DT in a 3-4. Kelly Gregg is a fine nose in Baltimore and he's 6'0" 305. Jay Ratliff in Dallas isn't that big, he's about 305. Its about the mentality.

There is not a player in the league who will outwork Kyle Williams. Troup will be an important rotational piece, no doubt. But, Williams will surprise me if he doesn't hold it down in the middle. All this guy has done since he was drafted was prove people wrong.