Putting Patrick Kane's goal in perspective

tomdayfan

"So he’s 21 years old, and he’s scored a Stanley Cup winning goal. In overtime. The only thing that could have made Patrick Kane’s goal a bigger deal is if it had been a Game Seven overtime Stanley Cup winning goal."

Hmmmm... I have heartburn with this statement and even Pat Kane might agree.

The only thing that could have made Patrick Kane’s goal a bigger deal is if it had been a Game Seven overtime Stanley Cup winning goal FOR THE BUFFALO SABRES.

I know, I know... He is a Blackhawk... But still he still has to hold the Sabres even more dear to his heart EXCEPT when he is playing for Chicago which is his job...

Maybe this is just me and not anybody else or Pat Kane... I mean come on... He cut his teeth at the Aud and HSBC, in the hockey card, at groundbreaking for HSBC... etc... etc...

I'd have to say Laettner's shot was bigger...........It's one of the most iconic moments in sports history AND you actually see it go in!

I agree. The Laettner shot was one of the greatest in the history of basketball. And Duke ultimately won the championship.

I agree. The Laettner shot was one of the greatest in the history of basketball. And Duke ultimately won the championship.

Yeah, but Laettner was a douchebag. Plus, he should have been thrown out of that game earlier for stomping on Mashburn.

Yeah, but Laettner was a douchebag. Plus, he should have been thrown out of that game earlier for stopping on Mashburn.

He actually stepped on Aminu Timberlake. But yeah, he should have been booted. I'm sure if the roles were reversed, Timberlake would have been kicked out.

This column raises an interesting comparison....how does Kane's cup-winning goal compare to other accomplishments by athletes from Buffalo? Not ones who played here, but were either born or grew up here.

A Kane comparison

Here's one. The role that Steve Mesler played in the 2010 USA Gold Medal Bobsled Team.

Jason Arnot in game 6 of the 2000 was in double OT and coming off of a game that went into triple OT. I say the Arnot goal was much more epic then the Kane goal. But that could be just because I am a Devils fan BUT that Stars vs Devils series was epic.

Jason Arnot in game 6 of the 2000 was in double OT and coming off of a game that went into triple OT. I say the Arnot goal was much more epic then the Kane goal. But that could be just because I am a Devils fan BUT that Stars vs Devils series was epic.

Was Jason Arnott from WNY? I think that is the whole point of the thread. :flirt: