If anyone is still up, C2C's show tonight is on how sports are fix

Link

Are Sports Fixed?

Date: 06-12-10

Host: Ian Punnett

Guests: Brian Tuohy

Ian Punnett welcomes sports conspiracy expert, Brian Tuohy, who reports on the showbiz manipulations of some your favorite sports teams, and how the games' outcomes could be fixed.

Website(s):

# thefixisin.net

Book(s):

# The Fix is In

The conversation starts at 2am.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love one of the links from The Bleacher Report on http://www.thefixisin.net/ about why the Patriots are no longer world beaters : http://bleacherreport.com/articles/308221-...longer-cheating

What aided in erasing that memory was Tom Brady's season-ending injury in 2008. No one could blame the Patriots failure to make the playoffs last year on anything but the absence of Brady. Video taping? What video taping? The team's MVP and future Hall of Fame quarterback was gone. How can someone even think about the video taping considering that situation?

thanks for the heads up.

I have no doubt what so ever that game 6 of the 2002 Western Conference Finals was rigged (Lakers vs Kings). Watching the game as a 13 year old I knew something wasn't right with that game. Then disgraced official Tim Donaghy confirmed it when the feds questioned him about rigging games.

The NJ Nets had made it in the East and the NBA wanted to avoid a Kings vs Nets finals (The Kings were winning the series 3 games to 2) so they wanted to push the series to 7 games and give the Lakers a chance to win (They won game 7 with a bunch of questionable calls towards the end).

All you have to know about that game is that Kobe Bryant elbowed Mike Bibby in the head and Bibby got called for a foul.

I actually used to be a subscriber to a theory that NFL games were fixed. However, a friend came up with an argument that I found difficult to counter and I now am pretty sure they are not fixed.

She asked, of they were fixed couldn't they produce results which were more interesting?

If I was fixing the games I know even I would create better storylines than they come up with/

If it was fixed it sure would be a lot more interesting than it is.

I actually used to be a subscriber to a theory that NFL games were fixed. However, a friend came up with an argument that I found difficult to counter and I now am pretty sure they are not fixed.

She asked, of they were fixed couldn't they produce results which were more interesting?

If I was fixing the games I know even I would create better storylines than they come up with/

I think with NFL games they are fixed based on the spread not who wins. Do you remember a game against the Pats* in 1996? Bills were down 28-18 with little time left. Kelly throws to the endzone and the ball is tipped to Reed for a TD.The play seemed so staged it was funny. Bills made a 10 point game 3 points. Lots of money changed hands because of that TD.

I love one of the links from The Bleacher Report on http://www.thefixisin.net/ about why the Patriots are no longer world beaters : http://bleacherreport.com/articles/308221-...longer-cheating

thanks for the heads up.

I fell asleep! <_<

I have no doubt what so ever that game 6 of the 2002 Western Conference Finals was rigged (Lakers vs Kings). Watching the game as a 13 year old I knew something wasn't right with that game. Then disgraced official Tim Donaghy confirmed it when the feds questioned him about rigging games.

The NJ Nets had made it in the East and the NBA wanted to avoid a Kings vs Nets finals (The Kings were winning the series 3 games to 2) so they wanted to push the series to 7 games and give the Lakers a chance to win (They won game 7 with a bunch of questionable calls towards the end).

All you have to know about that game is that Kobe Bryant elbowed Mike Bibby in the head and Bibby got called for a foul.

I think it's much easier to fix a game in baseball, basketball and hockey because there are fewer officials and more judgment calls. The NFL also has the most liberal use of instant replay of any league. If an official is on the take it's gonna be much harder for them to influence a game.

I doubt there are too many players who'd fix a game, because if there teammates found out they'd be dead men.

I don't know about all sports or even all individual games within the NBA, but the overall NBA script is decipherable if you pay attention.

A year and a half ago I revealed the script for the Finals both last year and this. People started in with denial, the first stage of grief, and I had to get into more detail. From my second link, keep reading in that thread. The discussion also continues in this years NBA playoffs thread with some gradually moving into the anger phase of grief. Some have already reached acceptance.

I remember that game well and agree, the refs did everything they could to the game to the Lakers.

On the flip side though didn't the Kings miss a bunch of free throws?

I don't believe games in the NFL are outright fixed -- but I do believe that the league tries to push results a certain direction by giving favorable calls to the teams they want to win and overlooking things that would help the team they don't care about.

Let's face it, the league doesn't care if Buffalo is in the playoffs. Now watch our games - how many calls go our way? How many calls go against us to help the other team?

As for "interesting," how is it not a great story that after 9/11, the PATRIOTS rise to the top? After Katrina the NEW ORLEANS Saints rise to the top? That Manning, the poster child for the league, is on the top? Heck, that the Buffalo Bills go to *4* straight Super Bowls!

I think with NFL games they are fixed based on the spread not who wins. Do you remember a game against the Pats* in 1996? Bills were down 28-18 with little time left. Kelly throws to the endzone and the ball is tipped to Reed for a TD.The play seemed so staged it was funny. Bills made a 10 point game 3 points. Lots of money changed hands because of that TD.

The question remains though as to whether you know of any objective evidence as to how this conspiracy works in detail or is it all just a "theory" based on guessing what could possibly motivate events happening the way they did.

Are folks claiming that this vast conspiracy involves the finely tuned and co-ordinated actions of not only Kelly and Reed to mount such an unlikely comeback, but their fellow "performers" on the opposing D who somehow engineered a tip drill TD to produce this unlikely TD.

I only wish it was a conspiracy because if it were these guys are really good.

I don't believe games in the NFL are outright fixed -- but I do believe that the league tries to push results a certain direction by giving favorable calls to the teams they want to win and overlooking things that would help the team they don't care about.

Let's face it, the league doesn't care if Buffalo is in the playoffs. Now watch our games - how many calls go our way? How many calls go against us to help the other team?

As for "interesting," how is it not a great story that after 9/11, the PATRIOTS rise to the top? After Katrina the NEW ORLEANS Saints rise to the top? That Manning, the poster child for the league, is on the top? Heck, that the Buffalo Bills go to *4* straight Super Bowls!

Even for the "interesting" stories there would have to be too much intricate choreography involved for a conspiracy to occur (was somebody really planning on collapsing Bledsoe's lung to get Brady in there) and the script as you read it is actually a bit different than you read (like it or not Manning only has 1 SB win credit on his resume and like it or not this poster child is gonna go down in history as a great almost in so many ways.

I agree that results do get pushed in particular directions, but I think the push comes from reality (almost everyone was rooting for NO after Katrina) rather than this being the dictate from what Charles Schultz called in a Charilie Brown Christmas "a large eastern syndicate" that runs things.

People desperately want to believe in conspiracies because this states that someone is in charge and that curses "THEY" are running things.

I am afraid the desperate truth is that things just happen. Sure they are related if only temporarily but it is simply wishful thinking to pretend that someone is in charge and everything happens for a reason or based on someone's plan.

I record the c2c shows on an MP3 recorder so I'll have to give this a listen.

*Does anyone recall an NFL Sunday in the early 80's where all of the favorites won the early and late games except one national game that was running late? I forget which teams were playing but all other games were over, and the network switched to this one. It was late in the 4th quarter and the favorite was losing but moving the ball and in field goal position. Bear in mind that a field goal would have meant that every favorite would have covered the point spread for that Sunday (I don't know the history on this but I bet it is quite rare). On other words, the people that finance bets would have had to come up with significant amounts of their own cash because of such unbalanced results.

Well anyway, the "favorite" team was on the opponents 35 or so, less than 2min left. All of a sudden, the zebras got into the act big time, calling 3 penalties in a row against this team. before you knew it, they were back near their own 20 yard line and time ran out, canceling an all favorites against the spread day.

I agree with this part--but I think it's subconscious, and not a concerted effort. I.e., the good teams get the calls. It's always been that way.

If the Commissioner was consistently telling referees to skew games I think that by now people would know about. Too many people would be involved to cover that up. At some point some one would have squealed.

Even for the "interesting" stories there would have to be too much intricate choreography involved for a conspiracy to occur (was somebody really planning on collapsing Bledsoe's lung to get Brady in there) and the script as you read it is actually a bit different than you read (like it or not Manning only has 1 SB win credit on his resume and like it or not this poster child is gonna go down in history as a great almost in so many ways.

I agree that results do get pushed in particular directions, but I think the push comes from reality (almost everyone was rooting for NO after Katrina) rather than this being the dictate from what Charles Schultz called in a Charilie Brown Christmas "a large eastern syndicate" that runs things.

People desperately want to believe in conspiracies because this states that someone is in charge and that curses "THEY" are running things.

I am afraid the desperate truth is that things just happen. Sure they are related if only temporarily but it is simply wishful thinking to pretend that someone is in charge and everything happens for a reason or based on someone's plan.

In order to effectively fix a game a group would have to pay off almost every member of both teams. I think that would be an almost impossible task to accomplish. The could also bribe officials but I think it would need to be a whole team so they don't accidentally overturn a call. After about three bad games they'd be questioned and looked into by the NFL. JMO

Also, don't underestimate a lot of players desire for a SB ring.

If the Commissioner was consistently telling referees to skew games I think that by now people would know about. Too many people would be involved to cover that up. At some point some one would have squealed.

Yes, agreed!

NASCAR has what they call, IIRC, "The Frenchman". The Frenchman calls a team and says their car will not be closely inspected that week, which allows the team to cheat in many different ways.

There is no way, IMO, that in this day and age of NASCAR that any team is going to go through inspection and not get caught. Every crew chief watches the car in front of them, their car and the car behind them go through inspection. Too many people would have to be in on it and with all of the major sponsors something like that wouldn't be viewed nicely by all of the corporations who lost.

I feel strongly that NFL games are manipulated by referees. I will not go so far as to say by players. Refereeing has been so indefensible for so long that I do not believe these calls are being made in good faith.

I'm glad someone brought this up. I'm not saying I believe it, but I'm asking you to merely consider this - and, keep in mind, there are a ton of people who would deliberately dismiss anything but very hard proof because it would damage the reputation of the NFL.

A few years ago Michael Vick was arrested and put in prison for a dog fighting ring and whatever was tied to that. It was reported that many players in the NFL and other sports had viewed these dogfights. Why do players or people, for that matter, get into dogfighting? Gambling. These guys were gamblers. How many players in the NFL look and act like thugs, gangsters? How many times do players show the fans what is their main priority - money. They'll hold out and underperform because a few millions isn't enough for these guys. Look at Marvin Harrison. The guy was quiet and no one noticed, but it looks like he might have been a real gangster, too. O.k., now consider this. Vick, before he went to prison, his previous two seasons, I think if you were to look at his week to week QB ratings, you'd see something like 90, 60, 100, 55, 89, 60... and on and on, over two seasons. How could a guy throw a game? Well, this QB who was so good that people would bet on his team to win merely because you can't ever count out Vick - right?- who, coincidentally got busted for a gambling ring, has a record of performing outstanding one week, and terrible the next.

If he threw a game, who would know?