Schobel says he's not coming back

yall

The Houston issue aside do you think his waffling has hurt this team in terms of opportunity to find or draft a replacement if he leaves or being way behind and out of condition if he doesn't retire?

1] As evidenced and proven by the drafting of Spiller, Nix and company were going to draft the guy they thought was the BPA and could help the team the most. They knew Schobel wasn't going to be here forever even if he came back, and they drafted two LBs. If Spiller was gone, they could have easily decided on Rolando McClain in round one if they thought he was the best player, regardless of position and regardless of Schobel. They also needed to fill two OLB positions once they made the switch. So no, I don't think his indecision had any affect whatsoever on who they drafted or who they signed in free agency.

2] Schobel has been known to not practice much, but then shows up on Sundays and gives 100% (and you can't give more than 100%). He never seemed out of shape, and he never seemed to miss assignments or be unprepared. His job was to rush the passer and stop the run, and if he played OLB in this defense, 90% of the plays he would be rushing the passer like Bryce Paup used to. Frankly, I don't really think he needs a lot of practice to do what he needs to do (not to say other guys don't, I think Maybin and Kelsay and all of the other guys need as much practice as they possibly can get).

3] I also think that Schobel has done enough to deserve special treatment. I know there is another side to that concept, and I totally understand others thinking no one deserves special treatment, but I do. I also think he REALLY, genuinely honestly, can't quit. He wants to but he knows it's hard. He wants to play because once it's gone it's gone. So he wants to do it on his own terms and I think he's earned it.

4] There may be things going on behind the scenes that shine some more light on the whole issue that makes it make a lot more understandable.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A true professional that always skipped voluntary practices, has left the bills hanging this year about his retirement, a guy who was never a team captain and has spoken out about the organization. That guy? It's is amazing to me how this guy gets such a pass. I suppose his family was too good to live in the city of Buffalo. If his family wanted to be around their husband more and he wanted them around he could have moved them to Buffalo.

He did.

1] As evidenced and proven by the drafting of Spiller, Nix and company were going to draft the guy they thought was the BPA and could help the team the most. They knew Schobel wasn't going to be here forever even if he came back, and they drafted two LBs. If Spiller was gone, they could have easily decided on Rolando McClain in round one if they thought he was the best player, regardless of position and regardless of Schobel. They also needed to fill two OLB positions once they made the switch. So no, I don't think his indecision had any affect whatsoever on who they drafted or who they signed in free agency.

2] Schobel has been known to not practice much, but then shows up on Sundays and gives 100% (and you can't give more than 100%). He never seemed out of shape, and he never seemed to miss assignments or be unprepared. His job was to rush the passer and stop the run, and if he played OLB in this defense, 90% of the plays he would be rushing the passer like Bryce Paup used to. Frankly, I don't really think he needs a lot of practice to do what he needs to do (not to say other guys don't, I think Maybin and Kelsay and all of the other guys need as much practice as they possibly can get).

3] I also think that Schobel has done enough to deserve special treatment. I know there is another side to that concept, and I totally understand others thinking no one deserves special treatment, but I do. I also think he REALLY, genuinely honestly, can't quit. He wants to but he knows it's hard. He wants to play because once it's gone it's gone. So he wants to do it on his own terms and I think he's earned it.

4] There may be things going on behind the scenes that shine some more light on the whole issue that makes it make a lot more understandable.

It is amazing how two players can do nearly the same thing and one is a hero and one is a goat. We will just have to disagree. I don't give the golden boy a pass. I look at all of the factors I have mentioned and I see a selfish guy who skips off season activities. You try to justify his actions claiming that Nix and co were going to draft who they were going to draft but that is such a shallow attempt to try to excuse his actions.

Jason Peters needed you for a PR guy. I don't see much difference at all between the two guys in many respects but Schobel is the golden boy hero and Peters was a selfish dougnut eating bastard. I just don't get it. At least Peters held out of OTAs because that is what you do during a contract dispute. Schobel was just lazy and didn't want to show up. Peters went to more probowls but people couldn't run him out of town fast enough. Schobel had one good year and he gives everything on the field and people love him?

COME ON MAN!!!!

It is amazing how PERCEPTIONS can be so incredibly different with somewhat similar situations.

Because he knew he was retiring in the next year or two and he didn't want to keep yanking three young kids in and out of schools.

Why would they be yanked in and out of school? You said they lived in Buffalo right? Wouldn't they stay in the same school in Buffalo? Sounds like he yanked them out of school in Buffalo to move them to Texas. Now he is using the desire to be around his family that he just moved out of Buffalo as an excuse to leave Buffalo.

1) If he was going to retire THIS year....Why didn't he do it before the draft and all the good free agents were gone?

2) If he was going to retire NEXT year...why move his family this year and then waffle about retiring this year?

Doesn't make a lot of sense does it?

Why would they be yanked in and out of school? You said they lived in Buffalo right? Wouldn't they stay in the same school in Buffalo? Sounds he yanked them out of school in Buffalo to move them to Texas and is now using the desired to be around his family that he just moved back to Texas as an excuse to leave Buffalo.

because Aaron Schobel's family -- his parents, his wife's parents, his brothers, his friends -- live in Texas. that is where he is from and that's where he plans to live once he's finished playing. he wants his kids to be with his family, his entire family as they grow up.

also, his children are now of school age. why should they be put in a position to make friends at schools in Buffalo when it's very apparent they won't be able to keep them as friends because they won't be living here in Buffalo for very long.

it's a simple math equation.

jw

It is amazing how two players can do nearly the same thing and one is a hero and one is a goat. We will just have to disagree. I don't give the golden boy a pass. I look at all of the factors I have mentioned and I see a selfish guy who skips off season activities. You try to justify his actions claiming that Nix and co were going to draft who they were going to draft but that is such a shallow attempt to try to excuse his actions.

Jason Peters needed you for a PR guy. I don't see much difference at all between the two guys in many respects but Schobel is the golden boy hero and Peters was a selfish dougnut eating bastard. I just don't get it. At least Peters held out of OTAs because that is what you do during a contract dispute. Schobel was just lazy and didn't want to show up. Peters went to more probowls but people couldn't run him out of town fast enough. Schobel had one good year and he gives everything on the field?

COME ON MAN!!!!

First, do you really think that Nix or Modrak targeted LBs, wanted to draft them or sign them and then didn't because Schobel was leading them on and stringing them out? No friggin' way. If there were guys out there to sign or draft that were OLBs they would have made their play. We need a few of them. And the Spiller example was PROOF that they didnt care about position, they wanted their guy. So if they had a guy they would have went after him Schobel or not. Try to name me some free agent we would have went after but didnt because of what Schobel was or wasn't doing. Name me some stud that was available in the draft when our pick was up that was such an obvious stud and great choice but because Aaron Schobel said he MIGHT play one more year we ignored this stud and took someone else instead because Schobel couldnt make up his mind.

Second, for the record, I think the Bills totally screwed up the Jason Peters situation, but I didn't blame Peters as much as others on here did. You can look it up, I said it over and over on this board. Their situations were different, however, because Schobel earned his special treatment, IMO. Personally, I think we should have paid Peters, and all the crap about him not wanting to be in Buffalo was bullschit. He wanted to be in Buffalo, he just wanted to be paid in Buffalo what he thought he was worth. The Bills didnt think he was worth 10 mil a year and that was a legitimate stance to take. It's impossible to KNOW for sure if a guy is worth 9 mil or 10 mil. The Bills said 10 mil was too much. Peters would have been thrilled to stay in Buffalo if the team was willing to pay him what Philly paid him.

because Aaron Schobel's family -- his parents, his wife's parents, his brothers, his friends -- live in Texas. that is where he is from and that's where he plans to live once he's finished playing. he wants his kids to be with his family, his entire family as they grow up.

also, his children are now of school age. why should they be put in a position to make friends at schools in Buffalo when it's very apparent they won't be able to keep them as friends because they won't be living here in Buffalo for very long.

it's a simple math equation.

jw

I hear ya. So why hasn't he already retired this year? What is the hold up? BE WITH YOUR FAMILY! Instead he is waffling. If his commitment to his family is that strong which I respect, he should have been with his family after week 17!!!!! We could have drafted his replacement or found a suitable free agent. Instead he is keeping us guessing when apparently he has already made up his mind. Oh...but he's not ready to retire...he would "consider the Texans".

People need to open their eyes. Schobel was tired of Buffalo and has a hope that he can play another year in Texas. The only credit I give him is that he has not come out and made public demands about what he wants. I can respect that he wants to do thing behind closed doors so fans don't get pissed at him. At the same time I think ...be a man and say what you mean and state what you want like Peters did. But, like Peters you risk the fan backlash.

First, do you really think that Nix or Modrak targeted LBs, wanted to draft them or sign them and then didn't because Schobel was leading them on and stringing them out? No friggin' way. If there were guys out there to sign or draft that were OLBs they would have made their play. We need a few of them. And the Spiller example was PROOF that they didnt care about position, they wanted their guy. So if they had a guy they would have went after him Schobel or not. Try to name me some free agent we would have went after but didnt because of what Schobel was or wasn't doing. Name me some stud that was available in the draft when our pick was up that was such an obvious stud and great choice but because Aaron Schobel said he MIGHT play one more year we ignored this stud and took someone else instead because Schobel couldnt make up his mind.

Second, for the record, I think the Bills totally screwed up the Jason Peters situation, but I didn't blame Peters as much as others on here did. You can look it up, I said it over and over on this board. Their situations were different, however, because Schobel earned his special treatment, IMO. Personally, I think we should have paid Peters, and all the crap about him not wanting to be in Buffalo was bullschit. He wanted to be in Buffalo, he just wanted to be paid in Buffalo what he thought he was worth. The Bills didnt think he was worth 10 mil a year and that was a legitimate stance to take. It's impossible to KNOW for sure if a guy is worth 9 mil or 10 mil. The Bills said 10 mil was too much. Peters would have been thrilled to stay in Buffalo if the team was willing to pay him what Philly paid him.

So your argument is basically because you don't think that Nix and co wanted anyone else that it is ok that he boned us? We obviously didn't want another LT or we would have drafted one or found a free agent so I guess Peters did us no harm either?

How exactly did Schobel earn his special treatment?

Skipping OTAs for years?

Demanding a renegotiated contract in 2006?

Having one good year in his career? (Actually 2010 was decent again)

Never being a company man or proponent of all things Bills?

Never being a team captain?

Exactly what did he earn?

Normally I would rise to the challenge but I am not up on LB free agents and draft picks because we didn't need one until Schobel retired....or discussed retiring...or was it playing for Houston? I don't have the time so how about I turn the question around on you and ask you a question that is much easier to answer?

Do you think that Chris Kelsay and Aaron Maybin are solid at our outside LB spots?

Would you take them over all of the available FA LBs or someone we could have found in the 2nd or 3rd round?

Would you have preferred that we got someone who has actually played the position before whether it were in the draft or free agency?

I think the smart answer is that we can't feel to comfortable with what we have.

I would not take them over all of the available FA and rookies in the draft

I would have preferred to get someone in the draft or FA.

Normally I would rise to the challenge but I am not up on LB free agents and draft picks because we didn't need one until Schobel retired....or discussed retiring...or was it playing for Houston? I don't have the time so how about I turn the question around on you and ask you a question that is much easier to answer?

Do you think that Chris Kelsay and Aaron Maybin are solid at our outside LB spots?

Would you take them over all of the available FA LBs or someone we could have found in the 2nd or 3rd round?

Would you have preferred that we got someone who has actually played the position before whether it were in the draft or free agency?

I think the smart answer is that we can't feel to comfortable with what we have.

I would not take them over all of the available FA and rookies in the draft

I would have preferred to get someone in the draft or FA.

That's precisely the point. <_< We need a few of them, Schobel or not. So if there were any guys they wanted to sign, they WOULD HAVE SIGNED OR DRAFTED them. Torbor is a perfect example. They needed guys, waited until they got him for the price they wanted and they signed him. We still need one or two more in fact. It's not as if they liked guys who were available and wanted them but refused to sign them because of anything AS did or didn't do. We needed more than him because we started with one guy, Poz. So how is he hurting the team? :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I hear ya. So why hasn't he already retired this year? What is the hold up? BE WITH YOUR FAMILY! Instead he is waffling. If his commitment to his family is that strong which I respect, he should have been with his family after week 17!!!!! We could have drafted his replacement or found a suitable free agent. Instead he is keeping us guessing when apparently he has already made up his mind. Oh...but he's not ready to retire...he would "consider the Texans".

People need to open their eyes. Schobel was tired of Buffalo and has a hope that he can play another year in Texas. The only credit I give him is that he has not come out and made public demands about what he wants. I can respect that he wants to do thing behind closed doors so fans don't get pissed at him. At the same time I think ...be a man and say what you mean and state what you want like Peters did. But, like Peters you risk the fan backlash.

drafted his replacement? the bills are/were well aware of Aaron Schobel's position. he informed the team of his uncertainty during end of year meetings. as noted in my story from yesterday, he spoke with management in March in hopes to work out a deal that would allow him to get certain days off to travel home to be with his family.

the bills were certainly aware of Schobel's position, given that Buddy Nix in March noted the possibility that he'll retire. so what the heck are you going on about. this didn't come from left field.

and why would you say he's tired of Buffalo? where do you get that. he's never said it. he's growing tired of football and the wear and tear on his body. he would've retired after last season if not for the fact that he surprised himself by being so productive. he likes Buffalo. in fact, if you check my story from yesterday, there was a note that he vows to return to Buffalo at some point because he can't resist the wings up here.

too often, people like to make these things one-sided. either he stinks or he's great. well, there's a true gray area here and why not respect the fact that he spent 9 years here, marched to his own drumbeat, never caused a commotion and was a consistent producer.

we get it. you don't like him.

jw

too often, people like to make these things one-sided. either he stinks or he's great. well, there's a true gray area here and why not respect the fact that he spent 9 years here, marched to his own drumbeat, never caused a commotion and was a consistent producer.

Hell, the simple fact that he's being so non-committal about the decision is itself a pretty clear indication that 1) it's a complex issue for him, not even remotely black-and-white, and 2) he's actually kinda conflicted over it.

That's precisely the point. <_< We need a few of them, Schobel or not. So if there were any guys they wanted to sign, they WOULD HAVE SIGNED OR DRAFTED them. Torbor is a perfect example. They needed guys, waited until they got him for the price they wanted and they signed him. We still need one or two more in fact. It's not as if they liked guys who were available and wanted them but refused to sign them because of anything AS did or didn't do. We needed more than him because we started with one guy, Poz. So how is he hurting the team? :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Tobor is an inside LB so not a replacement for Schobel.

The fact that we needed LBs already and Schobel is pulling this makes his waffling that much more damaging. He has taken a position of potential weakness and made it even worse.

If your car is down 2 quarts of oil your saying if we lost another quart that it is ok because we already needed 2 qts anyway? That is just DUMB!!! The engine, or the Bills, could seize up now that we have lost even more to continue the metaphor. All the while you applaud his decision.

I see that you didn't really address any of the questions that I posed to you as I continue to answer yours because I am confident of my position and it stands up to scrutiny. Let's try again and see if you have the integrity to answer my questions

Skipping OTAs for years?

1) If he was going to retire THIS year....Why didn't he do it before the draft and all the good free agents were gone?

2) If he was going to retire NEXT year...why move his family this year and then waffle about retiring this year?

The fact that we needed LBs already and Schobel is pulling this makes his waffling that much more damaging. He has taken a position of potential weakness and made it even worse.

If your car is down 2 quarts of oil your saying if we lost another quart that it is ok because we already needed 2 qts anyway? That is just DUMB!!! The engine, or the Bills, could seize up now that we have lost even more to continue the metaphor. All the while you applaud his decision.

I see that you didn't really address any of the questions that I posed to you as I continue to answer yours because I am confident of my position and it stands up to scrutiny. Let's try again and see if you have the integrity to answer my questions

Skipping OTAs for years?

I already answered your questions in several of the above posts. Apparently, you don't pay too much attention to these things because Torbor is playing OLB for the Bills right now, and they signed him for his versatility in playing both, so I am not sure why I am going over this stuff with you.

It's a difficult decision for AS, and anyone to make. He's conflicted. He tried to play this year and the Bills won't let him do what he wants to do. I already said, IMO, he's earned the treatment because he played his ass off for nine years, rarely missed a game, and didn't complain much even though the guys and coaches around him for the most part sucked. His body can't take much more of the pounding, which is the only reason besides his family that he is considering retiring when he doesnt have to.

That, to me, earns you the right to ask for things that other people don't have the right to. I also already said that I understand if people don't agree with that POV, which you clearly don't. I'm not trying to convince you either. I'm only saying there are two sides to it, and I am on Schobel's side. You don't have to be. But I have been answering your questions all along, you're not reading into them.

And understanding someone's position does not equal applauding it. I'd applaud if he said he wanted to play and showed up. I understand, however, where he is coming from.

wrong, wrong, wrong. torbor can play both inside and outside. and, for your information, he's practiced at the outside spot this week. get your facts straight

what kind of engine are we talking about, and how did we lose that oil. is it a persistent leak or did someone not fasten the plug properly. i'd personally get it to a mechanic, because this could lead to severe maintenance problems. i encountered this problem with my last car and the entire engine sezied up and i broke a rod.

got $250 for it, so i'd suggest a mechanic, and i've got a real good one, who just happens to be down the road from Ralph Wilson Stadium. i can hook you up if you like, though i'm not sure what his opinion is of Aaron Schobel or whether he even worked on his cars.

he might have, so i'll ask him, because he's got some brake work to do on my car next week. ...

Skipping OTAs for years?

-- i don't recall him demanding a renegotiated contract. the bills, i believe, in fact approached him.

-- one good year? really? (oh, sorry, you actually clarified your position in between brackets, so not to confuse your point)

-- two good years, really?

-- what do you mean he was never a good company man? when did he rip the Bills other than to say things were a little dysfunctional last season, which, for all intents and purposes they were.

-- correct me if i'm wrong, but Gordie Howe was never captain of the Detroit Red Wings. man, he stunk.

again, the Bills were aware of Schobel's uncertainty. why are you blaming him solely for this.

i don't Doesn't make a lot of sense does it?

fixed it for you.

jw

One less loser from the disgraceful 2003 team. It may have only been his 2nd year in the league, but he is still tainted.

Happy trails, Aaron. <_<

Except that the "disgraceful 2003 team" actually boasted a top 5 defense of which Schobel played an integral part. The disgrace that year was almost exclusively on the offensive side of the ball (after the first two games), when Bledsoe's decline became clear, and Gilbride forgot about the running game.

WTF?

You think he's worried about fan backlash? Hell, you're proof the "silent strategy" has already failed.

And Peters was so "hurt" by fan backlash, he's one of the highest paid LT in the league.

I already answered your questions in several of the above posts. Apparently, you don't pay too much attention to these things because Torbor is playing OLB for the Bills right now, and they signed him for his versatility in playing both, so I am not sure why I am going over this stuff with you.

It's a difficult decision for AS, and anyone to make. He's conflicted. He tried to play this year and the Bills won't let him do what he wants to do. I already said, IMO, he's earned the treatment because he played his ass off for nine years, rarely missed a game, and didn't complain much even though the guys and coaches around him for the most part sucked. His body can't take much more of the pounding, which is the only reason besides his family that he is considering retiring when he doesnt have to.

That, to me, earns you the right to ask for things that other people don't have the right to. I also already said that I understand if people don't agree with that POV, which you clearly don't. I'm not trying to convince you either. I'm only saying there are two sides to it, and I am on Schobel's side. You don't have to be. But I have been answering your questions all along, you're not reading into them.

And understanding someone's position does not equal applauding it. I'd applaud if he said he wanted to play and showed up. I understand, however, where he is coming from.

I will agree to disagree on the being on Schobel's side or not. What I still contend you haven't answered the questions that I posed directly. There was some side stepping. There was explanation but no answer. I asked yes or no questions. I saw no yes or no answers.

OMG you mean the organization isn't caving in to a player to set his own practice schedule and work out routine. That's never happened before. Again to the questions I have asked what has he done to deserve even the consideration for such special treatement. There have been maybe a handful of football players EVER in the ENTIRE history of the NFL who deserve to make such a bold ultimatum. Schobel ISN'T EVEN CLOSE to being one of them.

This is part of why I consider him a selfish prick he actually had the gall, the arrogance to ask for that kind of special treatment. Supposedly the OTA dodger has earned the right? WHAT A JOKE!!!!

I will go out on a limb and say that you make no such explanations and excuses for Peters who I did support because we were screwing him out of his paycheck. Contracts mean nothing in the NFL. Some people can't get their heads around what that means "figuratively" others can't.