Schobel says he's not coming back

yall

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How could a roster bonus like that in March be tied to playing time? He gets it in installments?

without knowing the details of the contract, i would guess -- and this is a guess -- that once a player in Schobel's case misses a reporting deadline, then there could well be some provisions written into the deal that require a certain amount of playing time.

it's also very likely that there were already such provisions written into most -- all? -- standard contracts in regards to roster bonuses, preventing a player from reporting and then, say, retiring and/or holding out.

i should have made this clearer in my piece, and will do so the next time this issue is revisited. and trust me it will be.

jw

Where are all the multitudes of fans who classify all pro athletes as selfish, ego-maniac, money-grubbing mercenaries when Schobel is (allegedly) willfully leaving $40 million on the table to be closer to his family?

Well, he's certainly being selfish in the way he's going about it. If you're going to retire, then just retire. Instead, he's just not going to show up?

And until he pays back some of his bonus money, I'll classify him as money-grubbing.

Well, he's certainly being selfish in the way he's going about it. If you're going to retire, then just retire. Instead, he's just not going to show up?

And until he pays back some of his bonus money, I'll classify him as money-grubbing.

buddy, please read this through carefully. he hasn't received one cent of the bonus money.

jw

Screw Schobel. The guy is a selfish prick who is not a good team mate. Way to screw over the franchise you have been with for your entire career. We have a new staff. A new DC coordinator. Our entire defense is in flux shifting to the 3-4. People are playing new positions and this jack ass says he will "let us know" in September!?!?!??!?!

What a douche bag. How about you make up your freakin mind and make a commitment one way or another so the TEAM can plan on you being there, being in shape and being FAMILIAR WITH THE DEFENSE. If you don't want to play you should have said something before the draft so that that could be taken into consideration when we made our picks and looked at free agents.

I have no idea why this guy gets a free pass from everyone. Some thought Peters was undeserving up his pro bowl appearances but Schobel was pro bowl material and deserved it? What a joke. Some have complained that Lynch is ruining his career and is selfish and dumb for not attending voluntary work outs. Schobel has been the BIGGEST offender on the team FOR YEARS yet he is not thought of in a negative light.

Hrmmm, now that I think of it I might finally get why Schobel gets a pass <_<

Someone started another thread on this article but it claims that Schobel wanted to dictate his schedule to the front office. It appears very likely this is the subtext of what little communication their has been about the subject. Buddy Nix says he wants him here but if he decides to retire...he "wishes him well". Schobel says it's in the Bills hands. What a jerk. Not that anyone will hold it against him because Schobel has always been given a pass for things that we condemn others for.

Maybe I'm wrong for all of a sudden thinking that Schobel would be concerned about the team. Oh well, "sacks don't matter anyway"

http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/06/11/1078...-a-spot-on.html

He said the only other team he would consider would be Houston, but even then he's not sure if he would play if traded. Then he said he would like to retire a Buffalo Bill, so why doesn't he just officially retire and send in the papers, I don't understand how he thinks this is in the Bills' hands.

He said the only other team he would consider would be Houston, but even then he's not sure if he would play if traded. Then he said he would like to retire a Buffalo Bill, so why doesn't he just officially retire and send in the papers, I don't understand how he thinks this is in the Bills' hands.

Schobel has apparently made it clear what his demands are to the Bills and is leaving it up to them to concede or not. Note that he has expressed that he would consider playing for the Texans. Doesn't it sound like he is trying to get traded? He is not being extremely vocal in the media about it but this has all the ear marks of a disgruntled player who is holding out in an attempt to get traded. But none of the normally hyper critical Bills fans on this board would dare consider that the golden boy is taking that tact.

Schobel has apparently made it clear what his demands are to the Bills and is leaving it up to them to concede or not. Note that he has expressed that he would consider playing for the Texans. Doesn't it sound like he is trying to get traded? He is not being extremely vocal in the media about it but this has all the ear marks of a disgruntled player who is holding out in an attempt to get traded. But none of the normally hyper critical Bills fans on this board would dare consider that the golden boy is taking that tact.

It looked to me in that article that the reporters ASKED him if he would want to go to Houston in a trade, and he said that is probably the only team he would consider, but he wasn't even sure if he would play there. That's hardly holding out in an attempt to get traded.

Schobel like Peters is putting personal considerations ahead of team considerations- I don't blame either of them, the NFL makes a lot of players rich but it also leaves a lot of players physical wrecks, you better get some while the getting's good, he want's to play in Houston then let him, don't expect getting full value, take a 6th round pick and be happy.

And he also said:

"But I don't even know if I'd play in Houston at this point. I really wanted to finish my career in Buffalo."

If he's bucking for a trade, he's not making it easier for it to happen with comments like that.

If you were Houston, would you trade for a player who publicly stated he's not sure he would play for you?

Edited by Cynical

Now money doesn't matter to you? Wonder what you said about Peters contract demands? If money didn't matter we should have kept our probowl LT. <_<

Peter's play did not warrent a top-3 contract. That's a long way from bitching about a guy returning some of his signing bonus because he decides to retire.

BTW, I responded to this one, but you're ignored based on the 'quality' of your preceding posts.

It looked to me in that article that the reporters ASKED him if he would want to go to Houston in a trade, and he said that is probably the only team he would consider, but he wasn't even sure if he would play there. That's hardly holding out in an attempt to get traded.

Unless that was just a rehash of a comment that I heard months ago I think he has stated that Houston is an option for him. Whether this was an answer to a question or mentioned freely it doesn't really matter does it? He is stringing along the Bills screwing up our off season plans because of his selfishness.

2 Scenarios

1) He retires. The Bills missed out on free agency and the draft to back fill his spot.

2) He plays and is not properly conditioned with our new strength training staff and has no clue about the new defense or chemistry with the players that have showed up and put in the time.

Whether he actually retires or not he has already boned us. If he plays for Houston he basically spoke softly and extended a HUGE middle finger to Buffalo and the Bills.

Peter's play did not warrent a top-3 contract. That's a long way from bitching about a guy returning some of his signing bonus because he decides to retire.

BTW, I responded to this one, but you're ignored based on the 'quality' of your preceding posts.

ROFLOL. The "quality of my posts" backed up with factual supporting data, stats and plausible logic. Please continue to ignore me. If you can't handle the truth it's not worth really discussing anything with you in a forum is it. When you contradict yourself I don't really want to waste my time discussing anything with you.

I don't understand your stance on Peters' contract? I really don't. First of all his play did warrant the contract he was asking for. Secondly, didn't you just state

"QUOTE (Lurker @ Jun 11 2010, 12:45 PM) *

Why? Is it YOUR money? wallbash.gif:

Make up your mind buddy. If you don't care about the money don't care about the money for Peters AND Schobel. You can't play it both ways based on your personal emotional feelings about the guys. It's all a business.

Whether this was an answer to a question or mentioned freely it doesn't really matter does it? He is stringing along the Bills screwing up our off season plans because of his selfishness.

I think it matters enormously. If he is freely and independently offering up Houston as a possible solution unprovoked to reporters, that to me means he is strongly considering it as option, and may try to get the Bills to trade him there.

If, on the other hand, he is answering a lot of questions from reporters and they say, "What about Houston, it's close to your home, would you consider playing for Houston if the Bills traded you there?" -- and Schobel replies, "Well, that's the only one I would consider because it's close but I don't know if I would even play there. I want to stay in Buffalo" -- which is what he said -- that, to me, doesn't at all sound like he wants a trade or is trying to force the Bills' hand. And this is what it seemed like happened from the article. The reporter posed that question without using quotes, but it looked like they asked him about Houston flat out.

You can't fault a guy wanting to be around his familty more. He was a true professional on and off the field. He will be missed.

i would have loved to see him play a OLB in our new 3-4 defense. I think he would have been a beast.

I think it matters enormously. If he is freely and independently offering up Houston as a possible solution unprovoked to reporters, that to me means he is strongly considering it as option, and may try to get the Bills to trade him there.

If, on the other hand, he is answering a lot of questions from reporters and they say, "What about Houston, it's close to your home, would you consider playing for Houston if the Bills traded you there?" -- and Schobel replies, "Well, that's the only one I would consider because it's close but I don't know if I would even play there. I want to stay in Buffalo" -- which is what he said -- that, to me, doesn't at all sound like he wants a trade or is trying to force the Bills' hand. And this is what it seemed like happened from the article. The reporter posed that question without using quotes, but it looked like they asked him about Houston flat out.

The Houston issue aside do you think his waffling has hurt this team in terms of opportunity to find or draft a replacement if he leaves or being way behind and out of condition if he doesn't retire?

You can't fault a guy wanting to be around his familty more. He was a true professional on and off the field. He will be missed.

i would have loved to see him play a OLB in our new 3-4 defense. I think he would have been a beast.

A true professional that always skipped voluntary practices, has left the bills hanging this year about his retirement, a guy who was never a team captain and has spoken out about the organization. That guy? It's is amazing to me how this guy gets such a pass. I suppose his family was too good to live in the city of Buffalo. If his family wanted to be around their husband more and he wanted them around he could have moved them to Buffalo.