Improve the practice

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Few thoughts while attending the practice...

My point is....if u wanna do a nice thing for fans and season tix holders...cater to what fans need and wish to see for a gosh darn little 2 hours.....in june....do it right !!!!!! you made many of us feel like unwelcome guests....

Wow my 11 year old son and I walked away with the completely opposite opinion!

1) Season ticket holders got a coupon for a free dog, drink and popcorn ... one per ticket.

2) Entrance and parking all free.

3) Not sure what open practice you were at, but there were nowhere near 20000 people there. Drop a zero and you would be a lot closer to reality

4) They had bouncy house stuff outside for the smaller kids ... free.

5) They took pictures of us with the field as a background they we can look at online and use on facebook if we like ... free.

6) Yeah it was only 2 hours, but it was a full 2 hours. Got to sit in the first row and watch all 4 QBs run drills and work the 7 on 7's for example.

I thought overall is was very well done ... and did I mention free ... and we are definitely planning on going next year if they do it again! We cooked in the parking lot too so if you are upset about not getting a cheap pretzel try that next time. Seems stupid to go there in June for a two hour practice and spend any of it getting food.

you can bring in your own food/drinks (non-alcoholic) at camp.

well, ok. i was mostly referring to what people get to see on the field, which is generally referred to as "practice." how the OP thought he was going to see some type of a dazzling show is beyond me.

for those struggling with the definition of "practice," it generally entails a lot of drills: individual, partial team and full team, and even special teams. sometimes players stand around and wait. sometimes they huddle up. every once in a while a pass is completed in a spectacular fashion.

more often than not, there are players hitting sleds, running backs getting handoffs and doing running drills on the side; defensive backs practicing interceptions and yes, even a bunch of riveting walk-through sessions.

now, if the Bills had provided an "Open Game" setting, that would be different, in that it would be an actual game. but given how the team's played of late, not sure if many would tell the difference, but that's another story.

if the OP decided to use his/her free time to drive to Orchard Park to get to see an open "practice" for free and expect to be entertained, well, that's his/her problem. i could've told him/her what to expect, because, as noted, i've seen these practices over 10 years now, and they're no different than what happens at training camp.

and you can see it happen in the crowd every year at St. John Fisher, especially during the night sessions. everyone shows up buzzing, expecting some kind of show, and a half-hour in, all the cheers have died down into a ambivalent murmur.

again, let me repeat: this was practice. what did anyone expect?

jw

jw

I've been to enough of the SJF training camp that I don't even bother unless I'm going to be in the area, or some of the TBD regulars from out of town are going to be there.

Got a little story for everyone from years ago. You need to be familar with how camp is set up to understand this. Saturday morning practice, back when I was in the Blue Coats, and my assignment was to man the gate between the public stands and the VIP tent to insure no one got through without the proper credential. They started practice down by the VIP end of the field. People kept coming up to me asking when they were going to come down to the public end of the field. "Don't worry", I told them, "they'll work their way down the field." Well, once they hit the end of the VIP section of the field and were about to start doing plays on the public end... BRAPPPP! Horn sounds, practice over, everyone run to the locker rooms. I think less than 10 players stuck around for autographs, mostly rookies. Many pissed off "fans" that day at camp.

Wow my 11 year old son and I walked away with the completely opposite opinion!

1) Season ticket holders got a coupon for a free dog, drink and popcorn ... one per ticket.

2) Entrance and parking all free.

3) Not sure what open practice you were at, but there were nowhere near 20000 people there. Drop a zero and you would be a lot closer to reality

4) They had bouncy house stuff outside for the smaller kids ... free.

5) They took pictures of us with the field as a background they we can look at online and use on facebook if we like ... free.

6) Yeah it was only 2 hours, but it was a full 2 hours. Got to sit in the first row and watch all 4 QBs run drills and work the 7 on 7's for example.

I thought overall is was very well done ... and did I mention free ... and we are definitely planning on going next year if they do it again! We cooked in the parking lot too so if you are upset about not getting a cheap pretzel try that next time. Seems stupid to go there in June for a two hour practice and spend any of it getting food.

Yeah, but you don't understand the point of the OP...it's June and they're NOT HANDING OUT FREEZIE POPS!!!!!! WTF??????????????

jw

The OP wanted to be ushered to his 50 yard line seats inside the air conditioned luxury boxes, have the stadium wait staff bring him and his precious charges milk shakes, sno-cones and slurpies and full plates of sausage and peppers, potato salad, and beans. After being properly stuffed he wanted the coaches to have the O take the field unopposed so they could score touchdown after touchdown to the adulating oohs and ahhs of the attendant 85,000 strong. Following that, the D should have taken the field and performed a smart martial arts demonstration and karate chopping paper cups which would disappear with loud popping sounds and thunderous audience applause. Next, a 45 minute fireworks display would consume the entire sky above Orchard Park, punctuated by a grand finale which featured the Army's Golden Knights parachute team jumping out of the Goodyear blimp.

Finally, when the smoke cleared and everyone regained a semblance of composure, the entire crowd would be brought to the turf where they would get a free authentic jersey of their favorite player - two even - if they couldn't decide between which two Bills they really liked the most. Gailey would then hand out to each attendee a genuine NFL Wilson football autographed by the entire team. A limousine service would then return everyone to their home - a mere 3 1/2 hours after the same limo picked them up to bring them to the Ralph.

Hey, this is America. We've got a right to this kind of thing, ya know.

The OP wanted to be ushered to his 50 yard line seats inside the air conditioned luxury boxes, have the stadium wait staff bring him and his precious charges milk shakes, sno-cones and slurpies and full plates of sausage and peppers, potato salad, and beans. After being properly stuffed he wanted the coaches to have the O take the field unopposed so they could score touchdown after touchdown to the adulating oohs and ahhs of the attendant 85,000 strong. Following that, the D should have taken the field and performed a smart martial arts demonstration and karate chopping paper cups which would disappear with loud popping sounds and thunderous audience applause. Next, a 45 minute fireworks display would consume the entire sky above Orchard Park, punctuated by a grand finale which featured the Army's Golden Knights parachute team jumping out of the Goodyear blimp.

Finally, when the smoke cleared and everyone regained a semblance of composure, the entire crowd would be brought to the turf where they would get a free authentic jersey of their favorite player - two even - if they couldn't decide between which two Bills they really liked the most. Gailey would then hand out to each attendee a genuine NFL Wilson football autographed by the entire team. A limousine service would then return everyone to their home - a mere 3 1/2 hours after the same limo picked them up to bring them to the Ralph.

Hey, this is America. We've got a right to this kind of thing, ya know.

that's all well and good, but the OP would then be left to complain that there was no free beer .... :thumbsup:

jw

Some people would be pissed that they won a 2010 Corvette just for showing up because it wasn't their favorite color.

And they'd have to pay taxes on it. And the insurance would be too high. And it takes premium gasoline. And the gas mileage is poor.

why do i get the feeling that there's going to be another "Apologies to Everyone" post -- a la bananathumb and bush-league Buffalo -- coming from the OP, explaining how he had a bad day and got drunk and regrets ever posting this on the intrawebs.

jw

There should be. Just as assuredly as proper Board Justice has been invoked. :thumbsup:

Can the coaching staff /admin acknowledge that there are 20,000 fans there and conduct 1 hour of practice thats somewhat geared toward entertaining fans....few 7 on 7's??? etcccc....my god its June....u can afford the 1 hour of practice time

Can they acknowledge most are there to see CJ Spiller and many wish to see some plays go his way???? Showcase what u have and what many there wish to see......why is this so hard to understand????

Now Ive read it all.

The practices geared towards entertaining fans.

Wow.

The Clipper took full advantage of open practice and the Bills' "On the cheap" stadium security, to hide a season's worth of booze in various locations throughout the stadium.

While you suckers will be paying $8.50 for a lukewarm Labbats, the Clipper will be enjoying some Crown Royal poured right out of the bottle...preferably down the cleavage valley of some 18 yo blonde chick sitting in the Rockpile section.

You'd be amazed how many places throughout the stadium go unchecked throughout the season or are left for dead. My favorite place to hide things used to be in Tom Modrak's office, but to my amazement, it looks like Buddy and Chan converted it into a pigpen to raise some baby farm animals.

While you suckers will be paying $8.50 for a lukewarm Labbats, the Clipper will be enjoying some Crown Royal poured right out of the bottle...preferably down the cleavage valley of some 18 yo blonde chick sitting in the Rockpile section.

Giving alcohol to people under 21 ... busted!!!!!!