Lynch article

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing I try to keep in mind, I guess, is that the kid is 25 years old, or something like that. Would I have acted in a more mature manner at 25? Probably. But no one ever waved $XX million dollars in my face at 25, so I can't tell you whether I'd have sprouted an attitude, or not. At the end of the game, however, it's probably unrealistic to expect this kid to act in a manner that those of us who have reached "maturity" would find acceptable.

I wrote in another thread that I thought it would be a good move all 'round if the Bills traded him. I'm guessing it won't happen now, and let's hope for the best from a very good running back.

really? with respect, is it so easy to be dismissive, when you add into the equation that this is a first-round draft pick?

jw

John, your logic is messing with the validity of his posts. You need to relax with common sense :thumbsup:

Despite being overdrafted and highly over-rated, Lynch does bring an extra element to the team. If he can learn to lower his shoulder and plow ahead, rather than dancing behind the line like he's Barry Freaking Sanders, he could add the power element and turn this running game into a true 3 headed monster.

And seeing how he's already received most of the money for his rookie contract, we have two capable replacements, and he has 3 yrs left on his contract, this guy has zero leverage. He needs to swallow his pride, lower his shoulder, and score touchdowns if he wants to get his way.

righto: with that, i think it's time the Bills just cut Spiller and be rid of him. :thumbsup:

jw

All I see is a pretty boy who is all about himself. Offer him a minimum salary contract and if he doesn't sign it, we are better off anyways!

exactly.

C.J. Spiller NFL Stats:

GP GS Carries Yards Rushing Touchdowns Receptions Yards Receiving Touchdowns

0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

jw

Plus he's disruptive in the locker room, he's apparently already alienated his teammates, judging by our Pro-Bowl running back's statements.

Plus he's disruptive in the locker room, he's apparently already alienated his teammates, judging by our Pro-Bowl running back's statements.

and he's selfish, too. i've seen him run the ball in practice and he refuses to give it up while trying to out-run everyone chasing him. sheesh.

jw

really? with respect, is it so easy to be dismissive, when you add into the equation that this is a first-round draft pick?

jw

John, You are assuming that the first round picks for Buffalo usually make an impact. Mike Williams didn't. McGahee for the most part didn't. Maybin hasn't. Losman didn't. McCargo didn't.

Sometimes the best thing for a player and team is to part ways, even without getting fair value. Mike Williams was not going to be successful in Buffalo. After a few years and a long journey which included being out of football and relegated to a Duke fat farm he is doing well as the starting right guard for the Skins. Anthony Hargrove had his troubles in Buffalo, which included a league suspension. He also had some "incidents' with his first team, the Rams, which made them very happy to get rid of him for a medium price. He eventually ended up with the Saints due to his prior association with Greg Williams. He has seemed to have turned it around and focused on his profession instead of giving too much attention to the club scene.

My point is simply sometimes a player needs a change of scenery to get back on the right path. Sometimes an organization is better off from a team perspective with the departure of a player, even a very good player. You can call it addition by subtraction. The new regime in Buffalo is trying to establish a culture of responsibility. Marshawn Lynch is not buying in. He has his own agenda. My view is to trade him for whatever you can get and then move on. With him there is always going to be a saga. We can do without the drama.

John, You are assuming that the first round picks for Buffalo usually make an impact. Mike Williams didn't. McGahee for the most part didn't. Maybin hasn't. Losman didn't. McCargo didn't.

Sometimes the best thing for a player and team is to part ways, even without getting fair value. Mike Williams was not going to be successful in Buffalo. After a few years and a long journey which included being out of football and relegated to a Duke fat farm he is doing well as the starting right guard for the Skins. Anthony Hargrove had his troubles in Buffalo, which included a league suspension. He also had some "incidents' with his first team, the Rams, which made them very happy to get rid of him for a medium price. He eventually ended up with the Saints due to his prior association with Greg Williams. He has seemed to have turned it around and focused on his profession instead of giving too much attention to the club scene.

My point is simply sometimes a player needs a change of scenery to get back on the right path. Sometimes an organization is better off from a team perspective with the departure of a player, even a very good player. You can call it addition by subtraction. The new regime in Buffalo is trying to establish a culture of responsibility. Marshawn Lynch is not buying in. He has his own agenda. My view is to trade him for whatever you can get and then move on. With him there is always going to be a saga. We can do without the drama.

JohnC:

you're points are well taken and completely understood. the trouble i have is not with anything that you've said, but how some posters completely dismiss the "Lynch not here" story because he's essentially a third-string running back.

well, that's not the entirety of the equation. no matter where he ranks on the Bills depth chart, what makes this situation troubling -- and newsworthy -- is that Lynch is a former first-round pick.

jw

and another thing about Spiller, and something Crayonz would agree with: isn't his dedication to the NFL in question because he actually refused to enter the draft a year ago in order to get his diploma? man. :thumbsup:

Despite being overdrafted and highly over-rated, Lynch does bring an extra element to the team. If he can learn to lower his shoulder and plow ahead, rather than dancing behind the line like he's Barry Freaking Sanders, he could add the power element and turn this running game into a true 3 headed monster.

And seeing how he's already received most of the money for his rookie contract, we have two capable replacements, and he has 3 yrs left on his contract, this guy has zero leverage. He needs to swallow his pride, lower his shoulder, and score touchdowns if he wants to get his way.

Much has been made of the braindead decisions of Marv Levy(hiring Jauron/the Whitner/McCargo draft, etc..) but in addition to those he undermined the organization by letting players choose whether they wanted to play in Buffalo or not. Letting Clements off the franchise hook, trading McGahee and Spikes at their request....those things all happened after Levy's first year as GM and that set the stage for the Peters fiasco.

Why would Lynch feel like he needs to be a good soldier when he's seen Clements, McGahee and Peters dictate terms to the Bills and subsequently get paid big time?

Lynch may not have much leverage but those guys didn't have much either.

I'm not a big Lynch fan but he's not misunderstood. He's the one who doesn't get it. His indiscretions aren't the problem, it's his lack of accountability. People are forgiving, but we naturally reject people who don't own up to their mistakes. When you are a millionaire who only has to show for work 6 months per year it's easy to throw money and time around to try to make yourself look good. How you handle adversity shapes peoples opinion of you, and the image of Lynch hitting someone with his car, leaving the scene, stonewalling police for weeks then acting like he was the victim is going to be hard to shake. The common theme with him is always that he is the victim. His ex-girlfriend accuses him of rape...he's the victim. His car gets shot up...he's the victim. He hits that woman...he's the victim. All of his traffic stops...he's the victim. He wants potentially very dangerous dogs for pets and people don't want him to have them because they know he won't be accountable if something happens....yeah.

But trading him for any less than market value plus just re-inforces the notion that you can come and go as you please as a Buffalo Bill and that has to stop. This issue is bigger than having a no account fool as a rotational RB on your team or trying to get some value in trade for him. If it's true that Nix has held out for a second round pick, then I applaud him for understanding the gravity of the problem the organization has with regard to getting players to respect their contracts and team authority. RB's are a dime-a-dozen IMO, but if it was my decision Lynch would rot before I let him get away for anything less than a painful draw on some other teams resources.

But trading him for any less than market value plus just re-inforces the notion that you can come and go as you please as a Buffalo Bill and that has to stop. This issue is bigger than having a no account fool as a rotational RB on your team or trying to get some value in trade for him. If it's true that Nix has held out for a second round pick, then I applaud him for understanding the gravity of the problem the organization has with regard to getting players to respect their contracts and team authority. RB's are a dime-a-dozen IMO, but if it was my decision Lynch would rot before I let him get away for anything less than a painful draw on some other teams resources.

I'm not rah-rah'ing out there for Lynch, either. Rbs have a visceral draw that sells tickets. An 80-yard bomb excites, but not nearly as much as an rb that pops out of the OL/DL melee and takes it to the house. A fact not lost on the business. If an rb is having a spiff year, it can get noticed by the broadcasters and they give a contest wider distribution, chasing the buck - which redounds to the particular franchise. It also encourages the local advertisers to scoop up unsold tix in hope that they can hop on the same gravy train.

I'm with you about rbs being a dime-a-dozen, but you have to have at least one that tickles the hoi polloi. Hence Spiller.

What market value is there for him? It isn't much. Do I think he is talented? I certainly do. However, he has made it clear that he doesn't want to be in Buffalo. If he were focused and ready to give it his all on the field he could be a dynamite player with us, that includes playing with Jackson and Spiller. The problem with Lynch is that he is self-absorbed and not the type of personality who can handle not having enough touches. Marshawn Lynch is not a bad person. He is a very self-centered and immature person. Those aren't unique traits for today's professional athlete.

As I previously posted in my comment to John W the new Bills coaching staff is trying to create an environment of accountability. Lynch is not buying in. Now is the time for the organization to start fresh and lay the foundation for success. I'm not worried about Lynch being rewarded with a trade because he is being a distraction. I'm not even concerned that he might be a resounding success elsewhere. The Bills personnel people have to make decisions which are overall best for the

team. In my view moving this distracting player is the right thing to do for the team both in the short run and certainly the long run.

What market value is there for him? It isn't much. Do I think he is talented? I certainly do. However, he has made it clear that he doesn't want to be in Buffalo. If he were focused and ready to give it his all on the field he could be a dynamite player with us, that includes playing with Jackson and Spiller. The problem with Lynch is that he is self-absorbed and not the type of personality who can handle not having enough touches. Marshawn Lynch is not a bad person. He is a very self-centered and immature person. Those aren't unique traits for today's professional athlete.

As I previously posted in my comment to John W the new Bills coaching staff is trying to create an environment of accountability. Lynch is not buying in. Now is the time for the organization to start fresh and lay the foundation for success. I'm not worried about Lynch being rewarded with a trade because he is being a distraction. I'm not even concerned that he might be a resounding success elsewhere. The Bills personnel people have to make decisions which are overall best for the

team. In my view moving this distracting player is the right thing to do for the team both in the short run and certainly the long run.

The first part of accountability would be that you don't always get your way. Trading Lynch at this point sends the wrong message. Let him sit out the rest of his contract. Have him run around the facility cleaning up trash. Open an Applebees in the stadium and let him be the bus boy.

Who says he is distracting? The people who get paid to write 'interesting' article about the Buffalo Bills? I'm sure the players will somehow manage to move on with Lynch.

Like I said, IMO in light of what has gone on in Buffalo the past 4 seasons, the issue is bigger than those concerns. Lynch's market value is probably no better than a 4th to a handful of needy teams and zero to most. I wouldn't trade him for less than a 2nd on principle. If this trend is not stopped it will continue. The lack of backbone the Bills have shown in recent offseasons leads to disrespect for management and coaching. Play or be inactive.

And while I don't feel that Lynch is by any means a key to the Bills future success, I would like to point out something that Bills fans too easily discount. The effect of time and winning on wounds. Has anyone lobbied as hard to be traded as Chad Ochocinco did in Cinci? Distractions are overrated. Look around the league. Teams occasionally trade players who are unsatisfied, but not usually. The Bills ALWAYS trade unsatisified players and fans have wrongly come to believe that it is always the right thing to do. It's not. It's instant gratification, but if you let talented players who aren't thrilled with being a Buffalo Bill dictate terms to you then the ones you really need will too. There is a reason why this scenario keeps repeating itself here.