No lead pony in QB race

In the wide open quarterback competition for the Bills, head coach Chan Gailey provided an answer when asked if he saw any of the candidates establish themselves as an early front runner.

“No, and if anyone did I wouldn’t tell you,” said Gailey.

awesome answer!!! <_<

I am getting the feeling, like it or not, Trent Edwards is going to be given every opportunity to win this job, back. I like the fact that it has been stated that he seems "uber-confident"...confidence, IMO, was the key thing missing from his game last season. If Chan Gailey is the guy he is purported to be, I think he can get Edwards back on track, to be, at the very least, a serviceable

QB.

Guest dog14787
Yeah...quotes like this make me think that the real answer is "Yes." Why would you put that disclaimer at the end otherwise?

You can't say its an open competition and then turn around and say, well, on the other hand I favor this guy or that guy because it would take the wind out of the other QB's and you want them all to perform like they could win the start. In my opinion Chan Gailey will not openly make any preference to any particular QB when addressing the public until he's made a decision on who the starters going to be.

Hence the disclaimer, don't bother asking because I'm not going to tell you.

You can't say its an open competition and then turn around and say, well, on the other hand I favor this guy or that guy because it would take the wind out of the other QB's and you want them all to perform like they could win the start. In my opinion Chan Gailey will not openly make any preference to any particular QB when addressing the public until he's made a decision on who the starters going to be.

Hence the disclaimer, don't bother asking because I'm not going to tell you.

True, and because you don't even want your starter thinking he won the job so easily. You want him to fight every play to win the job and learn the playbook as much as he possibly can to win the job. Once you have made the decision, of course, you need to get him in there and get the reps with the first string.

I am really starting to like Gailey a lot as a football coach. Of course, it means little until we see results on the field in the form of wins on sundays that matter, but he is a tough, smart, experienced, thoughtful, demanding coach. I love his answers to the media when usually coaches never give decent answers.

To get the reporters to stop asking?

Not sure what the story is here.

Looking at that lineup of potential QBs, reporters are going to ask the question.

CG, staring down at the hand he's been dealt, is going to bluff and say "nothing".

Ona and on it will go until it's obvious to everyone who will be the starting QB. There will be no need to make an announcement.

Guest dog14787
True, and because you don't even want your starter thinking he won the job so easily. You want him to fight every play to win the job and learn the playbook as much as he possibly can to win the job. Once you have made the decision, of course, you need to get him in there and get the reps with the first string.

I am really starting to like Gailey a lot as a football coach. Of course, it means little until we see results on the field in the form of wins on sundays that matter, but he is a tough, smart, experienced, thoughtful, demanding coach. I love his answers to the media when usually coaches never give decent answers.

+1