Were Bills interested in Tebow?

I am new to the forum so forgive me if this topic was already addressed. During the draft, Adam Scheftner stated the Bills were highly upset the the Broncos picked Tebow at 25. I know the Bills front office has denied this. They have to deny it after the fact. How could they admit they were beaten to the punch. Was Adam's reporting inaccurate? What did he base his report on? I happen to believe that the Bills were going to select Tebow. All reports prior to the draft seemed to indicate Tebow and not Clausen was our guy. Clearly, Clausen wasn't after the fact.

IMO, Tebow would have been a HUGE mistake. Thank God for dumb AS_ Josh Mcdaniels. What really bothers me (if this report was true) is how the heck can I have confidence with this new Bills front office if they were going to make a decision like this???

What do you guys think?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess you missed that pinned Tebow thread right before and during the draft. To summarize, I believe we had an equal number of Bills fans pro and against Tebow.

In the end I believe we were interested in Tebow, but not to the extent that we would make a huge reach for him. I think we went after the best available player (in the Bill's opinion) in each round. We picked up a developmental player in Brown and if he doesn't pan out then no biggie. Either way we knew going in that whoever we picked in the first two rounds had to be able to come in and contribute immediately. Tebow wasn't it. It was Bradford or no one QBwise. I think McDaniels took a big gamble for Tebow wrt to the picks he gave up. He'll either end up unemployed for the rest of his NFL career or will be heralded a future HOF genius, depending on which way the Tebow coin falls.

Look for us to go after a franchise first round QB next year.

I guess you missed that pinned Tebow thread right before and during the draft. To summarize, I believe we had an equal number of Bills fans pro and against Tebow.

In the end I believe we were interested in Tebow, but not to the extent that we would make a huge reach for him. I think we went after the best available player (in the Bill's opinion) in each round. We picked up a developmental player in Brown and if he doesn't pan out then no biggie. Either way we knew going in that whoever we picked in the first two rounds had to be able to come in and contribute immediately. Tebow wasn't it. It was Bradford or no one QBwise. I think McDaniels took a big gamble for Tebow wrt to the picks he gave up. He'll either end up unemployed for the rest of his NFL career or will be heralded a future HOF genius, depending on which way the Tebow coin falls.

Look for us to go after a franchise first round QB next year.

Hey thanks for the response and update.

"Look for us to go after a franchise first round QB next year." A quick response to this comment. I sure do hope we can find that QB next year. Will we be in the position to draft a franchise QB? Will there be a franchise QB to draft? Look at the huge risks involved in drafting a QB in the top 5 or so picks... To make a long story short...I was really pissed off and disappointed we didn't take Clausen at 41. Enough aide because I had a previous post about this...received plenty of contrary opinions.

It doesn't matter at this point does it? Who knows what they were thinking. Buddy Nix said no so that is good enough for me.

Bills fans need to stop dwelling on the past Superbowl years and the last 10. It's a new beginning. Lets see what Nix and Gailey got. Based upon comments its completely new for everyone. When they have almost 100 percent participation from their players that is good. We don't have any players with contract problems. We are mostly healthy.

The only two issues the Bills have right now are Aaron Shoebel and Marshawn. Aaron is basically retired. Marshawn just needs to wake up.

It doesn't matter at this point does it? Who knows what they were thinking. Buddy Nix said no so that is good enough for me.

Bills fans need to stop dwelling on the past Superbowl years and the last 10. It's a new beginning. Lets see what Nix and Gailey got. Based upon comments its completely new for everyone. When they have almost 100 percent participation from their players that is good. We don't have any players with contract problems. We are mostly healthy.

The only two issues the Bills have right now are Aaron Shoebel and Marshawn. Aaron is basically retired. Marshawn just needs to wake up.

I am a fan of the Buffalo Bills. I believe this gives me a right to analyze my team. How long have you been saying its a new beginning? Let me guess 10 years. I guess your ok with that. Well, i am not!

The Bills have alot more than two issued to focus on...YOU WAKE UP!

I am new to the forum so forgive me if this topic was already addressed. During the draft, Adam Scheftner stated the Bills were highly upset the the Broncos picked Tebow at 25. I know the Bills front office has denied this. They have to deny it after the fact. How could they admit they were beaten to the punch. Was Adam's reporting inaccurate? What did he base his report on? I happen to believe that the Bills were going to select Tebow. All reports prior to the draft seemed to indicate Tebow and not Clausen was our guy. Clearly, Clausen wasn't after the fact.

IMO, Tebow would have been a HUGE mistake. Thank God for dumb AS_ Josh Mcdaniels. What really bothers me (if this report was true) is how the heck can I have confidence with this new Bills front office if they were going to make a decision like this???

What do you guys think?

I don't think the Bills were interested in drafting Tebow.

I don't think the Bills were interested in drafting Tebow.

I think they were.

(1) All reports from media and Bills front office prior to the draft indicated they were. I know it could have been smoke but it seems like this isn't Nix style. (remember the Spiller comments)

(2) I don't think Adam Schefner made up the story. He isn't always right but he was quite convincing when he broke the story on draft day.

Just my two cents.

"Look for us to go after a franchise first round QB next year." A quick response to this comment. I sure do hope we can find that QB next year. Will we be in the position to draft a franchise QB? Will there be a franchise QB to draft? Look at the huge risks involved in drafting a QB in the top 5 or so picks... To make a long story short...I was really pissed off and disappointed we didn't take Clausen at 41. Enough aide because I had a previous post about this...received plenty of contrary opinions.

Hey mpl

I don't really follow college ball, so I go by what some of the more informed posters here on TBD say. The general consensus on TBD as well the many news articles pre draft was that a. the 2010 draft wasn't a deep QB draft and that b. the 2011 draft will be a deep one.

Some of the QB's being talked about right now include Jake Locker (washinton), Andrew luck (stanford), Ryan Mallet (ark) among others.

If our QBs turn out to be a duds again and we end up in the middle of the pack in the first, I wouldn't be suprised if we went all out to get one of those QBs.

If we're lucky, Seattle agrees to a Lynch trade for a second and we use that second to move up the table in 2011.

Just saying.

Hey mpl

I don't really follow college ball, so I go by what some of the more informed posters here on TBD say. The general consensus on TBD as well the many news articles pre draft was that a. the 2010 draft wasn't a deep QB draft and that b. the 2011 draft will be a deep one.

Some of the QB's being talked about right now include Jake Locker (washinton), Andrew luck (stanford), Ryan Mallet (ark) among others.

If our QBs turn out to be a duds again and we end up in the middle of the pack in the first, I wouldn't be suprised if we went all out to get one of those QBs.

If we're lucky, Seattle agrees to a Lynch trade for a second and we use that second to move up the table in 2011.

Just saying.

Good response I respect your viewpoint. GO Bills.....

Here is the predraft thread for your reading enjoyment.

My guess is that there is truth to both sides of this and that the brass wasn't united on the "Tebow question". First, Nix has said he wasn't interested in making trades, preferring to let the draft come to him, and wasn't interested in Tebow. Given the way the draft played out, that seems accurate. On the other hand, reporters were saying on camera at the time that Bills officials were obviously upset when the Broncos took Tebow. Tebow would obviously have been another "big splash" sort of marketing move just like T.O. was last year. The Bills haven't shied away from such ploys in the past and seeing as many of the same people were employed by the Bills then and now, it doesn't really sound far fetched at all.

Adam Schefter reported the Bills were trying to move back into the first round, and at around pick 15 is when we first heard that rumor. I believe he was speculating it was for Tim Tebow.

Most Bills fans were thinking something different, at least I was. The fact that the Bills were rumored to be interested in trading for Raven LT Jared Gaither awhile back sorta confirms what perhaps the Bills fans were thinking during the draft. That in fact they were trying to get back into the first to draft Brian Baluga for LT and not Tebow.

Baluga went at 23 and the Bronco's traded up to grab Tebow who went at 25 because they thought the Bills were after him. Later after the first day of the draft it was reported that Ralph Wilson had said the Bronco's "panicked" in moving up to take Tebow.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...enver-panicked/

More rumor/ or proof http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/04/23/r...ng-to-trade-up/ Rodger Saffold?

more stuff- http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/4/23/...to-go-with-a-qb

Then again Schefter is a guy who I believe knows whats going down long before anyone else in the media does, so only the people in the Bills war room really know.

http://ballhype.com/story/twitter-adam-sch...ebow-to-denver/

What do you guys think?

What I don't understand is how you can say "What really bothers me (if this report was true) is how the heck can I have confidence with this new Bills front office if they were going to make a decision like this???" when the guy hasn't played yet? And who even cares he's not on our team.

You say it as if we all need to convince you the front office knows what they're doing, and to this point they've shown they very much do. Now I have to build your confidence in the FO on your random thoughts? Well lets start with this. You have no idea and I mean no idea if Tebow will be a success, how about wait a few years before you judge the FO on Tebow - a guy we didn't draft.

Furthermore, you're saying you didn't want them to take Tebow. Ok, they didn't. So now they have to coddle you about a rumor? And hope they can somehow get your support again? You don't have confidence in our FO because of a rumor that they wanted Tebow? A rumor? Seriously?

The previous regime indulged fans, this regime has a plan and is sticking to it. Right or wrong - works or doesn't work, that is the right approach. Screw signing FA's to give fans the warm and fuzzies, they are saying give us time to build a winner and that's what you'll like.

I normally don't rant, but you come on here over a Month after the draft saying forgive me if this topics been covered - and then have the most irresponsible, uninformative, unsubstantiated, BS criticism of our front office over a player we were rumored to have been interested and want our thoughts on how you're ever going to be able to have confidence in a front office like this.

ok, sorry, I'm done. This one just flew all over me.

Adam Schefter reported the Bills were trying to move back into the first round, and at around pick 15 is when we first heard that rumor. I believe he was speculating it was for Tim Tebow.

Most Bills fans were thinking something different, at least I was. The fact that the Bills were rumored to be interested in trading for Raven LT Jared Gaither awhile back sorta confirms what perhaps the Bills fans were thinking during the draft. That in fact they were trying to get back into the first to draft Brian Baluga for LT and not Tebow.

Baluga went at 23 and the Bronco's traded up to grab Tebow who went at 25 because they thought the Bills were after him. Later after the first day of the draft it was reported that Ralph Wilson had said the Bronco's "panicked" in moving up to take Tebow.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...enver-panicked/

More rumor/ or proof http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/04/23/r...ng-to-trade-up/

more stuff- http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/4/23/...to-go-with-a-qb

Then again Schefter is a guy who I believe knows whats going down long before anyone else in the media does, so only the people in the Bills war room really know.

http://ballhype.com/story/twitter-adam-sch...ebow-to-denver/

The one point that doesn't make sense with regard to Wilson's comment is that why would reporters at the draft say "Bills officials" were fuming and angry immediately after Tebow was selected? (Baseless conspiracy theories aside.) From Wilson's comment, you'd think the "officials" would be giggling like little school girls at faking out the Broncos.

The one point that doesn't make sense with regard to Wilson's comment is that why would reporters at the draft say "Bills officials" were fuming and angry immediately after Tebow was selected? (Baseless conspiracy theories aside.) From Wilson's comment, you'd think the "officials" would be giggling like little school girls at faking out the Broncos.

If there's been one consistent thing this off season, it is that the Bills don't do what the pundits think they are going to do and it seems to make the pundits very angry.

It seems that they've gone old school and tell the reporters something different than what they plan to do.

What do you guys think?

We'll have to wait for a full season is under our belt to be able to analyze just what direction we are heading. It easy to make a rash judgement based on some unknown factor like the Tebow story or after winning a short string of games like we did a couple of years ago when we started 4-0 and then 5-1, but finished 7-9..Everyone, including myself had all these

happy feelings about where we were and where we were headed. All of the sudden Levy was a genius, Edwards was a franchise QB, and whispers of the Superbowl, and confidence that we would make the playoffs that year was a given.

We know how ugly it turned out to be from there and that this organization was not headed in the right direction, but if you would have polled everyone right then and there you would have been just as ready to sign Dick Jauron up for another 3 year extension on his contract just like Ralph did!!! It was unneccessary to do that, but Ralph was just as caught up, and fooled as we all were!! I think judgement day will require the full 2010 season to conclude if the new Bills front office is heading in the right direction, and if we have a future franchise QB or not (which I am skeptical on that one!)..... :)