Were Bills interested in Tebow?

Gailey didn't want to add another guy at QB

He wanted Tebow to run the Pistol as their base offense, not as a gimmick change of pace.

Those other QBs don't bring the attributes he wanted.

Downplay it all you want, but the reaction from OBD (especially Ralph) when Denver ruined their plans tells the story.

You are entitled to your opinion, no matter how off base it is.

The facts are ...the Bills were trying to trade up in the first round and stopped trying after Bulaga was taken by GB.

They had serious talks with the Rams before day 2 started about trading up to get the first selection in the second round.

Now, who was there that the Bills would even be interested in besides Rodger Saffold who the Rams chose with that first selection?

Then recently the Bills made news again about an interest in trading for Jared Gaither the LT of the Ravens.

The Bills have shown me that they KNOW they are still lacking at LT and tried to do something about it... and perhaps still will.

The only QB they showed any interest in so far was Donavon McNabb, NOT Jason Campbell, NOT Tim Tewbow, NOT Colt McCoy, NOT Jimmy Clausen. The Bills basically had their pick of ANY QB in this years draft and free agency and decided to stay with the QB's they have in camp. My take is that if none of the QB's in camp can make a decent impression on Gailey he will then look elsewhere, like at Tyler Thigpin.

Tim Tebow was rated a 2-3 year project at best to become a starter at QB, unless it was for a part time wildcat / pistol option player.

I think Ralph Wilson made that statement about Denver panicking because it was true.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The facts are ...the Bills were trying to trade up in the first round and stopped trying after Bulaga was taken by GB.

They had serious talks with the Rams before day 2 started about trading up to get the first selection in the second round.

Now, who was there that the Bills would even be interested in besides Rodger Saffold who the Rams chose with that first selection?

Then recently the Bills made news again about an interest in trading for Jared Gaither the LT of the Ravens.

The Bills have shown me that they KNOW they are still lacking at LT and tried to do something about it... and perhaps still will.

The only QB they showed any interest in so far was Donavon McNabb, NOT Jason Campbell, NOT Tim Tewbow, NOT Colt McCoy, NOT Jimmy Clausen. The Bills basically had their pick of ANY QB in this years draft and free agency and decided to stay with the QB's they have in camp. My take is that if none of the QB's in camp can make a decent impression on Gailey he will then look elsewhere, like at Tyler Thigpin.

Tim Tebow was rated a 2-3 year project at best to become a starter at QB, unless it was for a part time wildcat / pistol option player.

I think Ralph Wilson made that statement about Denver panicking because it was true.

This is my line of thinking as well.

Both viewpoints seem to have quite a bit a validity. I don't know what to think anymore. Still leaning towards the Bills wanted Tebow...We will probably never know and I guess who really cares now.

If the Bills wanted Saffold, they had already had a deal in place with the Jets to move into the 1st round. they passed because the guy they wanted to move up for had already gone to Denver.

As you say, Tebow would not need to wait 2-3 years to learn a pro-style offense if he was running a spread / pistol scheme. and who better to implement just such an offense than Gailey, especially since the Bills have no QBs on the roster capable of running a pro style offense. Gailey wants to run the pistol and wanted Tebow to be the trigger man.

In fact, the one QB they did draft, is more suited to run the pistol than a pro-style offense.

Gailey didn't want to add another guy at QB

He wanted Tebow to run the Pistol as their base offense, not as a gimmick change of pace.

Those other QBs don't bring the attributes he wanted.

Downplay it all you want, but the reaction from OBD (especially Ralph) when Denver ruined their plans tells the story.

I have to agree. Had the Bills not been interested, there would have been no comments from OBD whatsoever. Ralph definitely sounded like someone who had just been stung. In any event, I'm glad it worked out the way it did. The downside for me (being in the Gainesville, FL area now) is that I could have routinely gotten Bills news from the Gator Gazette (errr, I mean the Gainesville Sun) had Tebow been taken by the Bills instead of the Broncos.

So it's all media BS. Just as I thought...

It's highly unlikely the NFLN had anyone at the Ralph on draftday. More likely, talking heads saying, "Boy, I bet the Bills are Mad..."

Perhaps John Wawrow could clarify who besides the BN, D&C and maybe local TV types were on hand on day 1.

people: no one was upset as far as i know about Tebow going to Denver. in fact, Ralph Wilson came out the next day and said the Bills had no intention of drafting Tebow and if the Broncos took him in fear the Bills were going to do so with their next pick, well, they were essentially fooled.

i never got the impression the Bills were seriously interested in Tebow. i believe they liked the kid, but not to become their quarterback of the future. in hindsight, it becomes clearly evident that Buddy and Chan dropped plenty of hints that Spiller was going to be their pick. and, i think, many drew too much focus on Jim Kelly having dinner with Tebow during his visit here.

so, to repeat, no one that i know of was visibly upset once Tebow was off the board: though, that would be hard to tell considering Bills officials didn't meet with the media after the first round was over.

jw

If the Bills wanted Saffold, they had already had a deal in place with the Jets to move into the 1st round. they passed because the guy they wanted to move up for had already gone to Denver.

As you say, Tebow would not need to wait 2-3 years to learn a pro-style offense if he was running a spread / pistol scheme. and who better to implement just such an offense than Gailey, especially since the Bills have no QBs on the roster capable of running a pro style offense. Gailey wants to run the pistol and wanted Tebow to be the trigger man.

In fact, the one QB they did draft, is more suited to run the pistol than a pro-style offense.

In regards to the bolded, Can you provide a link to the so called move up trade with the Jets, or is this pure BS speculation?

I already stated they wanted to trade back into the first for Brian Bulaga and when he went to the Packers so they stop trying to trade up, JMO.

NOW, even if they did want Tebow and he was gone in the first, then why did they have serious discussions with the Rams before day 2 started?

This link is directly from the official Buffalo Bills website:

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/04/23/r...ng-to-trade-up/

Even Chris Brown stated he thought the Bills were interested in a LT ""Personally, I think the Bills are targeting a left tackle prospect.""

people: no one was upset as far as i know about Tebow going to Denver. in fact, Ralph Wilson came out the next day and said the Bills had no intention of drafting Tebow and if the Broncos took him in fear the Bills were going to do so with their next pick, well, they were essentially fooled.

i never got the impression the Bills were seriously interested in Tebow. i believe they liked the kid, but not to become their quarterback of the future. in hindsight, it becomes clearly evident that Buddy and Chan dropped plenty of hints that Spiller was going to be their pick. and, i think, many drew too much focus on Jim Kelly having dinner with Tebow during his visit here.

so, to repeat, no one that i know of was visibly upset once Tebow was off the board: though, that would be hard to tell considering Bills officials didn't meet with the media after the first round was over.

jw

Thank you for the clarification on Tebow.

Chan got his 'water-bug", the one he was talking about long before the draft even took place,

Question, I'm still very perplexed as to why the Bills have not made a move to fortify the LT position yet, it looked like they attempted to on several occasions and didn't get it done. Any news on this situation would be much appreciated.

Thank you for the clarification on Tebow.

Chan got his 'water-bug", the one he was talking about long before the draft even took place,

Question, I'm still very perplexed as to why the Bills have not made a move to fortify the LT position yet, it looked like they attempted to on several occasions and didn't get it done. Any news on this situation would be much appreciated.

i believe they've tried to do so at LT but missed on a couple of free agents. they'll keep looking, is my guess, but chances of addressing that position from this point going forward are relatively slim. from my perspective, this is a team that's building with what it's got, and planning to address other key holes next offseason.

jw

jw

Thanks, jw. Fair enough. (Note that I never said these anonymous Bills officials were upset, only that it was reported that they were upset. A distinction that some cannot grasp.) So, that just leaves the mystery as to why it was reported that they were upset that the Broncos took Tebow. Perhaps it was reporting idle speculation and rumor or, as others have suggested, just unsubstantiated parroting of some other network's gossip. NFL Network's reporting just took a hit in my opinion.

PS: I see that I did slip in the word "visibly" in an earlier post without the proper qualifications and caveats. The conversation had drifted towards the ridiculous (IMHO) argument that "Bills officials" never said (with the spoken word or typed by Chris Brown in an official blog) that they were upset. Clearly, one doesn't always have to say anything to convey that they are angry. There are other visual clues ("body language") under the right circumstances that could convey such an emotion unequivocally. NFL Netowrk said these officials were upset. They didn't say how they knew that. I had made the inference that they may have had a reporter covering the Bills who saw some sort of reaction and reported back about it. Then again, it is only the Bills, so perhaps there was no such coverage at all. My mistake for trying to convey that not every person's emotional reactions are captured on a Youtube link.

Does that mean that "...reports during the draft indicated that they had a deal in place with the Jets to move back into the bottom of the 1st round" are BS, too?

You're confusing me with someone else. I never heard nor read that, never mentioned it, and never even commented on it until this post. I have no idea if it was a lie nor do I really care.

FWIW, as I stated initially, and even with jw's post, given the layers of uncertainties involved, we will never know if what was said on NFLN was a simple lie, just speculation that was conveyed as fact, or an accurate statement (someone, who?, was angry) but that the wrong inferences (Tebow) were drawn.

Again, as I said from the start, the way the draft played out was perfectly in keeping with Nix's comments that he lets the draft come to him and isn't at all interested in being a Donahoe wheeler dealer type. It is also perfectly plausible from the Bills recent past that Russ Brandon could have been interested in Tebow as his latest genius sales gimmick.

Given what did happen, it does seem that Nix is in charge. For now, anyway.

Have a good weekend, d00d.