Were Bills interested in Tebow?

I don't buy it, if that is the case then why didn't the Bills go after Jason Campbell or a different named QB like Clausen or McCoy once Tebow was gone if they wanted a QB?

There were rumors that the Bills were interested in Tebow and more rumors that they were not interested in any QB in this years draft with the exception of Sam Bradford. The rumors were even more hot and heavy over Jimmy Clausen, and then Colt McCoy. I tend to believe the Bills were not interested in any QB in this years draft besides Bradford, who was unattainable because of the price the Rams would ask.

About the only QB we sorta know for certain the Bills made an offer for was Donovan McNabb and McNabb turned down Buffalo.

I tend to think that the Bills have their eyes planted on what the Dolphins are doing with 4 QB's on the roster in Chad Henne, Pat White, Chad Pennington and Tyler Thigpin. The odd man out in that situation might just be Pennington if he doesn't fully recover from his shoulder surgery.

Henne is the starter and the Dolphins will want to keep Pennington if healthy and should Henne falter they have seasoned vet to bail them out, Pennington did take them to the playoffs. Pat White is the developmental project to run the "wildcat".

That leaves Tyler Thigpin as perhaps the guy left out in the cold in Miami...and Buffalo may be his next stop.

Henne Penny talk:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/1345727...overlist_footer

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/1346143...coverlist_photo

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't buy it, if that is the case then why didn't the Bills go after Jason Campbell or a different named QB like Clausen or McCoy once Tebow was gone if they wanted a QB?

There were rumors that the Bills were interested in Tebow and more rumors that they were not interested in any QB in this years draft with the exception of Sam Bradford. The rumors were even more hot and heavy over Jimmy Clausen, and then Colt McCoy. I tend to believe the Bills were not interested in any QB in this years draft besides Bradford, who was unattainable because of the price the Rams would ask.

About the only QB we sorta know for certain the Bills made an offer for was Donovan McNabb and McNabb turned down Buffalo.

I tend to think that the Bills have their eyes planted on what the Dolphins are doing with 4 QB's on the roster in Chad Henne, Pat White, Chad Pennington and Tyler Thigpin. The odd man out in that situation might just be Pennington if he doesn't fully recover from his shoulder surgery.

Henne is the starter and the Dolphins will want to keep Pennington if healthy and should Henne falter they have seasoned vet to bail them out, Pennington did take them to the playoffs. Pat White is the developmental project to run the "wildcat".

That leaves Tyler Thigpin as perhaps the guy left out in the cold in Miami...and Buffalo may be his next stop.

Gailey didn't want to add another guy at QB

He wanted Tebow to run the Pistol as their base offense, not as a gimmick change of pace.

Those other QBs don't bring the attributes he wanted.

Downplay it all you want, but the reaction from OBD (especially Ralph) when Denver ruined their plans tells the story.

I wouldn't call it "making **** up" as it was trying to put 2 and 2 together given the Bills' needs, talking-him-up before the draft, and bringing him in for a visit. Speaking of which, the percentage of players the Bills draft after bringing them in for a pre-draft visit to OBD approaches nil, which has led me to cross off anyone who visits there. And Nix said that the Bills did try to move up, but not for Tebow. Why lie about it not being Tebow?

OK. Fair enough. Flip it around though and ask why bother with the testy denial at all? Indeed, as the reporter said, it is rather bizarre that an NFL owner comes right out guns blazing to criticize another organization's performance in the draft. :rolleyes:

OK. Fair enough. Flip it around though and ask why bother with the testy denial at all? Indeed, as the reporter said, it is rather bizarre that an NFL owner comes right out guns blazing to criticize another organization's performance in the draft. :rolleyes:

Maybe because both ESPN and the NFLN (teams have them both on during the draft) kept talking about how the Bills were "desperately" trying to trade up for him, citing Schefter, and because he felt the Broncos believed it/took the bait and overpaid? Why is it so hard to believe, and since when was Schefter infallible?

Maybe because both ESPN and the NFLN (teams have them both on during the draft) kept talking about how the Bills were "desperately" trying to trade up for him, citing Schefter, and because he felt the Broncos believed it/took the bait and overpaid? Why is it so hard to believe, and since when was Schefter infallible?

Of course, nobody said Schefter was infallible.

to get back to the original post,

yes, the Bills were heavily interested in Tebow

and reports during the draft indicated that they had a deal in place with the Jets to move back into the bottom of the 1st round to draft him.

Denver made a more aggressive move (because they had positioned themselves to be able to do so), which is what got Ralph's Depends in such a bunch.

Gailey planned on having Tebow run the Pistol from day 1 which is also why he got Spiller.

Good Post first time I heard of this plan. Thanks.

How is it you can tell this person that this forum is about expressing opinions, and then in the same sentence, tell them if they don't like it, to get off the board? Don't they have the right to express their opinion about yours? Or is this a one-way street?

[/quote

Good point Fish. I was "out of line" with my comment. Just thought Buffalo was arrogant and rude when he responded to my post. As a result, I fired back inappropriately.

Of course, nobody said Schefter was infallible.

Well, that's what's driving the belief that the Bills targeted Tebow in the late 1st round. To the point that the denials from Nix and Wilson were outright lies.

Look at it this way. Are the Bills going to talk-up a player, bring him in for a visit and have him meet with Kelly, for anything other than the 9th overall spot? Does it make sense that they wined him and dined him for a possible trade up in the late 1st, when there was no guarantee of getting him?

Well, that's what's driving the belief that the Bills targeted Tebow in the late 1st round. To the point that the denials from Nix and Wilson were outright lies.

Not really. The denials are in and of themselves suspicious because they are overreactions and completely unnecessary. Then you have the reports at the time that "Bills officials were angry." Not laughing, but downright pissed, when the Broncos pulled off a deal.

It could be that only Schefter had his eyes open (or was experiencing a hallucination from a night of partying) and only he saw this and he told everyone else at MSG about it, of course, to further his agenda against the poor Buffalo Bills. :rolleyes:

Look at it this way. Are the Bills going to talk-up a player, bring him in for a visit and have him meet with Kelly, for anything other than the 9th overall spot? Does it make sense that they wined him and dined him for a possible trade up in the late 1st, when there was no guarantee of getting him?

Due diligence doesn't mean planning one and only one option, nor does it have anything to do with whether or not the Bills tried to downplay/deny their true interest in Tebow or not. To the contrary, you don't wine and dine a job candidate that you have zero interest in in any business. It would be a waste of everyone's valuable time and most businesses would have trouble justifying burning money like that. So, it speaks against your POV to believe hook-line-and-sinker in the fallible Mr. Wilson's post-draft explanation that the Bills never had any interest in Tebow. The fallible Mr. Wilson has made many mistakes in recent years, has tasted the lash of public appraisal, and it would be absolutely no surprise whatsoever if he was a wee bit sensitive to anything he feels might be too critical of his baby. Al Davis has very publicly had a number of such moments in recent years; is it really impossible to believe Ralph could to?

Not really. The denials are in and of themselves suspicious because they are overreactions and completely unnecessary. Then you have the reports at the time that the Bills officials were visibly angry. Not laughing, but downright pissed, when the Broncos pulled off a deal.

It could be that only Schefter had his eyes open (or was experiencing a hallucination from a night of partying) and only he saw this and he told everyone else at MSG about it, of course, to further his agenda against the poor Buffalo Bills. :rolleyes:

The Bills were "visibly upset?" Is this caught on camera somewhere? Or is that also from Schefter's "source" inside the Bills?

Due diligence doesn't mean planning one and only one option, nor does it have anything to do with whether or not the Bills tried to downplay/deny their true interest in Tebow or not. To the contrary, you don't wine and dine a job candidate that you have zero interest in in any business. It would be a waste of everyone's valuable time and most businesses would have trouble justifying burning money like that. So, it speaks against your POV to believe hook-line-and-sinker in the fallible Mr. Wilson's post-draft explanation that the Bills never had any interest in Tebow. The fallible Mr. Wilson has made many mistakes in recent years, has tasted the lash of public appraisal, and it would be absolutely no surprise whatsoever if he was a wee bit sensitive to anything he feels might be too critical of his baby. Al Davis has very publicly had a number of such moments in recent years; is it really impossible to believe Ralph could to?

There's a difference between doing due diligence and wining and dining someone. You don't take just anybody out to a fancy restaurant with the ambassador of the Bills, if you're not planning on taking him high in the draft, i.e. when you'd clearly have a shot at him (which they did, and they passed on him). I can't remember the last time the Bills did that with a draft pick, much less drafted a player they brought in for a pre-draft visit.

Agreed. I suspect Ralph was reacting to the so-called experts, who said it was a fait accompli that Tebow was going to be a Bill.

The old guy loves to smack down know-it-all media types...

Then you have the reports at the time that the Bills officials were visibly angry. Not laughing, but downright pissed, when the Broncos pulled off a deal.

And I repeat, where were these reports? Prove it by putting a link to this statement...

The Bills were "visibly upset?" Is this caught on camera somewhere? Or is that also from Schefter's "source" inside the Bills?

The people covering the draft said "Bills officials" were very upset. You are the one claiming that they lied. The burden of proof falls on you, not me. You claim that the reporters on NFL Network were making **** up and did nothing but regurgitate what Schefter, who works for ESPN, told them to say. This was within a minute or two of the Broncos making the pick, so Schefter got the word out fast. If your spin seems less than accurate, it isn't my problem.

You want a camera? Frankly, I didn't see a lot of shots of any Bills officials during the coverage. They don't stick a camera up every guy's ass in Madison Square Garden. Maybe you should put that in their suggestion box though.

And I repeat, where were these reports? Prove it by putting a link to this statement...

As if a link on the intardnet proves reality. ;)

I and others watched it on NFL Network. No, they don't transcribe every word said on air for your gratification.

Edit: Attack the source. Discredit NFL Network. Prove that what they say on air during the draft is ****. That they have no idea what they are talking about by virtue of evidence in various cases. Prove that what they report is just lazy horse **** that they pick up off the internet from other people that don't know ****. If they are reporting ****, it would behoof us all to know about it.

The people covering the draft said "Bills officials" were very upset. You are the one claiming that they lied. The burden of proof falls on you, not me. You claim that the reporters on NFL Network were making **** up and did nothing but regurgitate what Schefter, who works for ESPN, told them to say. This was within a minute or two of the Broncos making the pick, so Schefter got the word out fast. If your spin seems less than accurate, it isn't my problem.

You want a camera? Frankly, I didn't see a lot of shots of any Bills officials during the coverage. They don't stick a camera up every guy's ass in Madison Square Garden. Maybe you should put that in their suggestion box though.

Again, I didn't say Schefter "lied" because he's beholden to his sources, who can feed him right or wrong information. Most say he verifies stuff, but I can't see him having even 1 source inside OBD, much less another inside source to verify that source. Nor do I believe that the Bills went around telling the team or teams they were trying to trade up with who they were trying to get, who would then report it to Schefter. So excuse me if claims without proof mean squat to me, in the face few teams believing he has a future at QB, the Bills coming out and denying their interest in Tebow and hosting Tebow like he was a potential HOF'er, only to bypass him with the 9th overall pick. Hell, I don't even buy that they were "upset" when they missed-out on the guy they really wanted, since it's not like you're assured of trading back into the 1st round and getting who you want.

How is it you can tell this person that this forum is about expressing opinions, and then in the same sentence, tell them if they don't like it, to get off the board? Don't they have the right to express their opinion about yours? Or is this a one-way street?

Good point Fish. I was "out of line" with my comment. Just thought Buffalo was arrogant and rude when he responded to my post. As a result, I fired back inappropriately.

+1 for this response. Even if someone is arrogant and rude, you can respond (or not) without resorting to escalating arrogance and rudeness. And admitting you were out of line just bumped you up on the Respect-O-Meter.

QUOTE (mpl6876 @ May 31 2010, 10:44 PM)

Like I said in my response I don't normally go off on a rant, but your comments about confidence in a new front office because of a rumored interest in Tebow baited me out of my normal realm. In saying that I apologize if I came off as rude and arrogant. My intent was more to comment on the content of your post and I obviously got too personal. I apologize for that as well.

to get back to the original post,

yes, the Bills were heavily interested in Tebow

and reports during the draft indicated that they had a deal in place with the Jets to move back into the bottom of the 1st round to draft him.

Denver made a more aggressive move (because they had positioned themselves to be able to do so), which is what got Ralph's Depends in such a bunch.

Gailey planned on having Tebow run the Pistol from day 1 which is also why he got Spiller.

bull ****. Making **** up and posting it on an internet message board doesn't all of a sudden make it true. This post is nothing but lies and fabrications.

I and others watched it on NFL Network.

So it's all media BS. Just as I thought...

The people covering the draft said "Bills officials" were very upset.

It's highly unlikely the NFLN had anyone at the Ralph on draftday. More likely, talking heads saying, "Boy, I bet the Bills are Mad..."

Perhaps John Wawrow could clarify who besides the BN, D&C and maybe local TV types were on hand on day 1.

QUOTE (mpl6876 @ May 31 2010, 10:44 PM)

Like I said in my response I don't normally go off on a rant, but your comments about confidence in a new front office because of a rumored interest in Tebow baited me out of my normal realm. In saying that I apologize if I came off as rude and arrogant. My intent was more to comment on the content of your post and I obviously got too personal. I apologize for that as well.

Buffalo, I owe you an apology too. I am trying to change my negative ways regarding the Bills.