Holy Crap, this team wasn't doing Squats?!?!?!!?

http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/05/27/1064...work-under.html

Are you !@#$ing kidding me? No cleans, No squats? No wonder our guys legs were getting blown out and our linemen sucked....no !@#$ing leg strength!

In all seriousness, if this team wasn't doing squats as the baseline for their leg strength....Holy **** that explains a LOT! Man most high school football teams use the Squat, hang clean and bench as the baselines to their programs.

BTW I love the fact the coaches monitor ever rep in the squat to ensure both safety and effectiveness. I like the part if they can't do it they lighten it some. That is SMART strength training.

Im sorry but an NFL team not squatting just blows me away.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i guess we werent in the wrong with all of the "Bring back Rusty Jones" threads. even if it wasnt Rusty Jones specifically, anything was better than what we had since he left.

cant get over no squatting either. it's one of the best and most basic power exercises.

Are you !@#$ing kidding me? No cleans, No squats? No wonder our guys legs were getting blown out and our linemen sucked....no !@#$ing leg strength!

In all seriousness, if this team wasn't doing squats as the baseline for their leg strength....Holy **** that explains a LOT! Man most high school football teams use the Squat, hang clean and bench as the baselines to their programs.

BTW I love the fact the coaches monitor ever rep in the squat to ensure both safety and effectiveness. I like the part if they can't do it they lighten it some. That is SMART strength training.

That explains why a majority of the Bills injuries have been knee injuries or some other leg injury. Thank goodness for new S&C coaches!!

That is surprising to hear, although I'm sure there's some kind of new-fangled science behind the idea, so I'll give professional trainers the benefit of the doubt. That being said, I'm glad to hear they're doing those kind of core strength training techniques again.

That explains why a majority of the Bills injuries have been knee injuries or some other leg injury. Thank goodness for new S&C coaches!!

And it explains why the OL keeps getting pushed on their asses as well.

The Bills ran a very primitive operation. The owner runs out competent managers such as Polian and Butler/A.J. Smith and replaces them with the likes of Levy/Jauron, remnants of the dinosaur age. What aspect of the operation was run in a professional and modern way?

It is a testament to how far the franchise has sunk when the standard course of professionalism is considered to be remarkable. At least there is now some hope that the Nix regime is doing things the right way and will eventually lead to some positive results.

I was in complete amazement when I read that. The squat and other olympic strength training is essential to core strength. This is fundamental. They did this stuff, at some basic levels, as far back as the 50's.

Gailey and his people are going to turn this thing around.

Could this be a part of the reason why Peters left? Hell if I'm a 300+ lb lineman and my team doesn't believe in strengthening my legs I'd be worried.

"It's hard to work out in the NFL"-DJ

unbelievable, well, not really.

Just another example of how god-awful DJ and his popgun staff was, no lifting, bad conditioning, then they stand around looking bewildered when the injuries pile up. :thumbsup::w00t:

"Some guys haven't squatted since they left college," Whitner said. "My max was 405 [pounds] and that was three or four reps and I haven't done that since college. The way that they do it, you're not skipping a rep. They stand there and watch you. Every rep that you take they tell you what to put on there and if you can't do it, you go down a little."

I think this last part of the quote bothers me more. Without getting into a philosophical debate, squatting and cleans can be hard on the back and knees. There are alternatives, such as leg press, and some S&T coaches may prefer to utilize alternatives. Regardless of what exercises the players are told to do, Donte's quote implies that the S&T coaches really didn't keep tabs on the QUALITY of the player's workouts and that is simply unacceptable.

Could this be a part of the reason why Peters left? Hell if I'm a 300+ lb lineman and my team doesn't believe in strengthening my legs I'd be worried.

I seriously doubt anyone on the previous staff was preventing players from squating...more likely, they were letting them do their own thing (thinking, as Marv used to, that they're "mature" enough to put in the work).

Still, it puts another nail in Jauron's reputational coffin...

This Ross Tucker story gets to the heart of the injury problems the Bills suffered.

The Bills ran a very primitive operation. The owner runs out competent managers such as Polian and Butler/A.J. Smith and replaces them with the likes of Levy/Jauron, remnants of the dinosaur age. What aspect of the operation was run in a professional and modern way?

It is a testament to how far the franchise has sunk when the standard course of professionalism is considered to be remarkable. At least there is now some hope that the Nix regime is doing things the right way and will eventually lead to some positive results.

:thumbsup::w00t:

"Even if we thought we were working hard before, it's a lot harder now," he added. "It's almost like a welcome to the NFL type of thing."

This quote supports my contention that Jauron is a great teacher, and he should be working with kindergartner's not well paid elite athletes.

For some of the best information on training check out:

www.ericcressey.com -

www.robertsontrainingsystems.com -

these two guys are changing the way people and athlete's approach training. Sounds like our two new Strength coaches are cut from similar cloth.

Hopefully the Bills new movement biomechanics expert and manual therapist will also pay dividends. I believe his name is Dr. Brian Zelasko, DC.

Squats are terrible for your knees, back, & hips and the muscles worked can be done so doing other exercises. Heavy olympic style lifts are becoming regarded as "primitive."

"Some guys haven't squatted since they left college," Whitner said. "My max was 405 [pounds] and that was three or four reps and I haven't done that since college. The way that they do it, you're not skipping a rep. They stand there and watch you. Every rep that you take they tell you what to put on there and if you can't do it, you go down a little."

I think this last part of the quote bothers me more. Without getting into a philosophical debate, squatting and cleans can be hard on the back and knees. There are alternatives, such as leg press, and some S&T coaches may prefer to utilize alternatives. Regardless of what exercises the players are told to do, Donte's quote implies that the S&T coaches really didn't keep tabs on the QUALITY of the player's workouts and that is simply unacceptable.

That Donte's max squat is 405 bothers me a helluva lot more than any other part of that. I never "max" out my squats but before a recent injury, I did 50 reps twice a week at 305...and I'm a 6'2" 175 lb 39yo guy. I could probably max out at a stone throw from 405 and be at 405 in no time if that was my goal (it's not especially not post torn hamstring tendon).

Now granted I have strong legs compared to a lot of people but I'm not an Olympic lifter and I'm not a pro athlete. I just work out a lot, cycle, and play a lot of basketball.

That an NFL player is about a strong as me in any lifting category is a sad indictment of the team's training regimen. I'm glad to hear it's changing.

And I am a firm believer in the squat. It's not as hard on the knees if proper form is used and no NFL player should be doing ANYTHING in the weight room that hurts their knees.

Self perpetuating in a way. The Jauron apologists always like to trot out that he was a great coach because he was able to take the field with "gems" picked up off practice squads and street free agents and plug a lineup full of injuries -- those guys played hard for him. But the record number of injuries seems to have been fueled, at least partially, by an incredibly lame S&C program. That in turn meant that the systems installed necessarily had to be brain-dead simple since it was inevitable that unprepared players would be forced onto the field. The vicious treadmill of mediocrity is in full display.

I am about as far as you get from a professional athlete but how was Donte Whitner only squatting 405 for 3 or 4 when graduating from Ohio State and being picked in the top 15 of the NFL Draft?

I went to Webster High School in New York and we had at least 8 or 10 guys doing this in HIGH SCHOOL. Not all of them were lineman either. I was only 205 at the time and was doing 405 for 12. (This isn't about me so don't say I'm a tough guy or anything like that)

My point is, how does an NFL caliber player only squat 405 for 3 or 4? I can't help but question work ethic in that case. Maybe it's just me.

Agree wholeheartedly! I'm 51 years old, 6' tall and weigh 165 and I squat EVERY MORNING. That, and plenty of

Metamucil, is how I stay regular. If I didn't squat I'd need a colonic.

Nothing new, I've heard reports for years that the Bills SC was mainly work on machines- probably under the theory of "please God don't let a player get injured in my weight room" basic movements with heavy free weights which is what really builds functional strength also have higher risk of injury and need close supervision- btw who hasn't noticed how few of the Bills rookies gain muscular weight between year 1 and year 3 in comparison to other teams- my little joke use to be " well we can be pretty sure that none of the Bills are using performance enhancing drugs".