I'd Rather Be Judged By 12

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You might what to look into this. I have no personal knowledge of them, but seems like a good plan.fingerprint safe

Of course since you live in Canada, I have no idea if they make a version big enough to accommodate the single black powder 6 foot long flint lock Brown Bess muzzle loader your Government allows you to have.

:w00t: I takes forever to load the :thumbsup: thing as well.

I have an assortment of handguns and shotguns in the house......all kept in my master bedroom under lock and key.....but everyone in my house right down to my 14 year old daughter knows how to handle all the firearms and we go shooting regularly.

I take home security pretty seriously....the police chopper regularly is over our heads at night. I have dogs, a home security system, and weapons.

It is more of a deterrant then wanting to hurt somebody.....but if the choice is my family or them.....its gonna be my family.

I have been thinking about purchasing a gun. I live in a neighborhood in Philly that is relatively safe, however, there have been a spat of burglaries and home invasions recently, and, living with 2 females in a house that, outside of locks and deadbolts, is pretty devoid of a "security", I feel as though some added "protection" couldn't hurt.

I was always opposed to guns, however, I work with a guy whose mother just got carjacked at gunpoint not too far from where I work and he has since bought a gun for him and her, which has provided him, his fiance, and his mother peace of mind.

I had the same thought as you about a year ago, and opted to start with a shotgun. Until someone can convince me otherwise, the shotgun makes the most sense (for me) for home security primarily because all you really need to do is point it in the general direction of the badness. I've since added a .22, and will get a handgun next, but I won't rely on them for security right now because I'm still working on accuracy. Still, as others mentioned, you can't just get a gun and wait for the moment to use it. You need to learn and practice.

I had the same thought as you about a year ago, and opted to start with a shotgun. Until someone can convince me otherwise, the shotgun makes the most sense (for me) for home security primarily because all you really need to do is point it in the general direction of the badness. I've since added a .22, and will get a handgun next, but I won't rely on them for security right now because I'm still working on accuracy. Still, as others mentioned, you can't just get a gun and wait for the moment to use it. You need to learn and practice.

There's nothing better for close quarters defense than a shotgun. I have a Mossberg Persauder 12 gauge loaded with 00 buckshot.

I have an assortment of handguns and shotguns in the house......all kept in my master bedroom under lock and key.....but everyone in my house right down to my 14 year old daughter knows how to handle all the firearms and we go shooting regularly.

I take home security pretty seriously....the police chopper regularly is over our heads at night. I have dogs, a home security system, and weapons.

It is more of a deterrant then wanting to hurt somebody.....but if the choice is my family or them.....its gonna be my family.

I can't say I would do anything different, if that was the case for me. Family first!

There's nothing better for close quarters defense than a shotgun. I have a Mossberg Persauder 12 gauge loaded with 00 buckshot.

I like my mini 14. Not as accurate as a AR, but VERY handy for close work. Also as sure to function as a hammer, regardless of what I feed it. No recoil, great for follow up shots.

I like my mini 14. Not as accurate as a AR, but VERY handy for close work. Also as sure to function as a hammer, regardless of what I feed it. No recoil, great for follow up shots.

I love my mini-14. I wish they still cost $250 like they did back in the day.

I agree. For home protection a shotgun is best. It also is much less likely to penetrate walls and go on to hit an unintended target.

I wonder if they will prosecute this hero or if this will be swept under the rug and forgotten about. If you truly believe in the merits of total handgun bans, you have to put this 80 year old vigilante in prison! Hopefully this will help point out how assinine gun bans are. Criminals don't obey them and good citizens can't legally protect themselves from armed criminals. Thank god this man didn't let the government deny him of his constitutional right to protect himself.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/05/26/year-...test=latestnews

Reminds me of one of my favorite old quotes..."I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Aren't you more likely to shoot someone in your own family then a criminal? I don't like owning a gun (I like to shoot them for fun at a range sometimes) because its an unnecessary danger to have one in your house. I don't know enough about the laws to say wither bans are good or not because as you said criminals will find a way to get guns anyway but there are a lot of accidents that occur in peoples homes as well.

Its a sad day in this country when an 80 year old man potentially faces prosecution for defending himself and his wife from an armed intruder.

If he possessed the gun illegally, then I would hope he does get prosecuted - he broke the law. There are legal ways to possess a gun, and he should use one of those. If he didn't, then why shouldn't he be prosecuted? And if you don't like living in a location with strict laws on gun ownership, then you can always move.

I was always opposed to guns, however, I work with a guy whose mother just got carjacked at gunpoint not too far from where I work and he has since bought a gun for him and her, which has provided him, his fiance, and his mother peace of mind.

I can't believe you think this would help. Yeah, there's a chance that having a gun would have prevented the carjacking. It's also far more likely that it would have turned into a shootout. I'd rather lose my car than risk my life. BTW, same thing with the Chicago story. Yeah, the burglar might have harmed them, but he probably wouldn't have - the vast majority of burglaries don't involve violence.

Aren't you more likely to shoot someone in your own family then a criminal? I don't like owning a gun (I like to shoot them for fun at a range sometimes) because its an unnecessary danger to have one in your house. I don't know enough about the laws to say wither bans are good or not because as you said criminals will find a way to get guns anyway but there are a lot of accidents that occur in peoples homes as well.

NCHS Accidental Death Statistics:

motor vehicles (37%)

poisoning (22%)

falls (17%)

suffocation (5%)

drowning (2.9%)

fires (2.5%)

medical mistakes (1.7%)

environmental factors (1.3%)

pedal cycles (0.7%)

firearms (0.5%)

Translation: There are not "A LOT" of firearm deaths that occur in people's homes.

NCHS Accidental Death Statistics:

motor vehicles (37%)

poisoning (22%)

falls (17%)

suffocation (5%)

drowning (2.9%)

fires (2.5%)

medical mistakes (1.7%)

environmental factors (1.3%)

pedal cycles (0.7%)

firearms (0.5%)

Translation: There are not "A LOT" of firearm deaths that occur in people's homes.

Compared to a lot of other things yes but the fact that there are about 500 deaths to accidental deaths to children and teenagers each year. While that is small compared to the number killed in car accidents its still a lot of children and teenagers killed each year by the very weapon their parents wanted to use to protect them.

All in all I just feel like the simple fact that the gun you buy is more likely to be used on a member of your family then a burglar is astounding enough to warrant not owning one (From me at least). I would like to see the stats on how many crimes and burglaries get stopped by people with guns vs accidents in the home.

Where is that legal? Or are you just making another fear-mongering strawman?

I have never bought a gun, but I was under the impression that there are few if any restrictions on gun ownership, especially if you buy one at a gun show. Am I wrong? I recall when I lived in Texas back in the 80's seeing handguns and ammo for sale in supermarkets.

PTR

Compared to a lot of other things yes but the fact that there are about 500 deaths to accidental deaths to children and teenagers each year. While that is small compared to the number killed in car accidents its still a lot of children and teenagers killed each year by the very weapon their parents wanted to use to protect them.

All in all I just feel like the simple fact that the gun you buy is more likely to be used on a member of your family then a burglar is astounding enough to warrant not owning one (From me at least). I would like to see the stats on how many crimes and burglaries get stopped by people with guns vs accidents in the home.

Wrong mind set.Many potential assaults /murders are prevented by the intended victim showing a gun, with no shots fired. Those do not show up in your beloved"stats"

I have never bought a gun, but I was under the impression that there are few if any restrictions on gun ownership, especially if you buy one at a gun show. Am I wrong? I recall when I lived in Texas back in the 80's seeing handguns and ammo for sale in supermarkets.

PTR

They still are, if YOU GO THOUGH THE BACK GROUND CHECK :wallbash:

PTR

There are 20,000 laws on the books covering gun ownership. There is NOTHING more regulated in the United States.

There is no such thing as a "Gun Show Loophole". If you're a registered gun dealer, you have to follow the law regardless of where you perform your transaction - EVEN if you're selling one of your PRIVATE weapons.

An FBI study released in 2006 showed that 97% of weapons used in crimes against law enforcement were obtained through illegal means. CRIMINALS DON'T FOLLOW LAWS.

Now we can spend a lot of time, money, and effort trying to stop the .7% of guns used in crimes that are procured at gun shows or we could actually enforce the 20,000 gun laws on the books and make a serious dent in the other 99.3%. The government is great at passing laws, horrible at enforcement. One of the first things they take off the table to get criminals to plea is the gun charge - which generally means violent scummers get out way earlier.

I'm not sure why it would matter that there is guns/ammo for sale at a supermarket.