I'd Rather Be Judged By 12

I wonder if they will prosecute this hero or if this will be swept under the rug and forgotten about. If you truly believe in the merits of total handgun bans, you have to put this 80 year old vigilante in prison! Hopefully this will help point out how assinine gun bans are. Criminals don't obey them and good citizens can't legally protect themselves from armed criminals. Thank god this man didn't let the government deny him of his constitutional right to protect himself.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/05/26/year-...test=latestnews

Reminds me of one of my favorite old quotes..."I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone knows that only politicians and celebrities deserve the right to self defense. :angry:

Its a sad day in this country when an 80 year old man potentially faces prosecution for defending himself and his wife from an armed intruder.

How do you like the LCP? That is the polymer framed .38 revolver right?

It's a nice pistiol for a lady, shoots .380.

I carry things that make larger holes, but if I'm not around..........................

I have been thinking about purchasing a gun. I live in a neighborhood in Philly that is relatively safe, however, there have been a spat of burglaries and home invasions recently, and, living with 2 females in a house that, outside of locks and deadbolts, is pretty devoid of a "security", I feel as though some added "protection" couldn't hurt.

I was always opposed to guns, however, I work with a guy whose mother just got carjacked at gunpoint not too far from where I work and he has since bought a gun for him and her, which has provided him, his fiance, and his mother peace of mind.

I have been thinking about purchasing a gun. I live in a neighborhood in Philly that is relatively safe, however, there have been a spat of burglaries and home invasions recently, and, living with 2 females in a house that, outside of locks and deadbolts, is pretty devoid of a "security", I feel as though some added "protection" couldn't hurt.

I was always opposed to guns, however, I work with a guy whose mother just got carjacked at gunpoint not too far from where I work and he has since bought a gun for him and her, which has provided him, his fiance, and his mother piece of mind.

I think once you learn to safely handle a gun, you will be much more comfortable with the idea of owning one. Contrary to the rhetoric you often hear, virtually all responsible gun owners hope they never have to use their weapon to defend themselves. The chances of you turning into a crazed vigilante are pretty slim despite what Michael Moore would have you believe. There are a handfull of relatively knowledgeable gun owners on the board if you have any questions prior to purchasing. I always recommend the Smith & Wesson M&P compact series.

I was always opposed to guns, however, I work with a guy whose mother just got carjacked at gunpoint not too far from where I work and he has since bought a gun for him and her, which has provided him, his fiance, and his mother piece of mind.

If you decide that you are going to buy a gun,, , , , take a good handgun course that includes extensive hands on training. A good tactical pistol course is a must if you are really going to try to use the weapon for personal protection. It is a lot harder than just pointing the gun at the target and pulling the trigger. With no training, or minimal training, you are setting yourself up for failure, or a serious accident.

All three of them? What a horrible, tragic story. :angry:

I wonder if they will prosecute this hero or if this will be swept under the rug and forgotten about. If you truly believe in the merits of total handgun bans, you have to put this 80 year old vigilante in prison! Hopefully this will help point out how assinine gun bans are. Criminals don't obey them and good citizens can't legally protect themselves from armed criminals. Thank god this man didn't let the government deny him of his constitutional right to protect himself.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/05/26/year-...test=latestnews

Reminds me of one of my favorite old quotes..."I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Gun bans will never eliminate crime or prevent the truly determined to get a gun. But I can't understand why you go the completely opposite direction and make guns available to anyone at anytime for any reason? Does it make any sense that they make people take driving tests to drive a car and take your license away if you are caught driving drunk, but you can be certifiably crazy and still get a gun in 5 minutes? I know a guy who is on disability for his depression and yet he has a small arsenal in his house. I'm waiting to see him on the 11 o'clock news one day.

I have no problem if you want a gun but is it too much to ask to get a background check and training first?

PTR

Owning a firearm would be the last option. I would pursue other alternatives (ie home security system, Rottweiler, etc) first. Plus it would be something that I would have to run by the old lady. I agree with everyone; a class and education about firearms would be the first thing I would do if I ever decide to go that route.

Gun bans will never eliminate crime or prevent the truly determined to get a gun. But I can't understand why you go the completely opposite direction and make guns available to anyone at anytime for any reason? Does it make any sense that they make people take driving tests to drive a car and take your license away if you are caught driving drunk, but you can be certifiably crazy and still get a gun in 5 minutes? I know a guy who is on disability for his depression and yet he has a small arsenal in his house. I'm waiting to see him on the 11 o'clock news one day.

I have no problem if you want a gun but is it too much to ask to get a background check and training first?

PTR

I hate to bring facts into a perfectly good rant, but you do have to meet qualifications to purchase a gun. Background checks are called in for any firearm purchase including rifles and shotguns. Restrictions can also be placed on an individual based on criminal history. Nowhere in my post did I advocate giving a gun to "anyone at anytime". The point was that Chicago has the strictest gun restrictions in the country and somehow criminals still manage to get guns. I'm simply shocked that the criminals ignore the ban :angry: . There is a reason the majority of mass shootings happen in "gun free zones".

Gun bans will never eliminate crime or prevent the truly determined to get a gun. But I can't understand why you go the completely opposite direction and make guns available to anyone at anytime for any reason?

Where is that legal? Or are you just making another fear-mongering strawman?

Where can you keep the gun so you can get to it quickly if someone kicks the door down, but your kids can't get a hold of it?

You might what to look into this. I have no personal knowledge of them, but seems like a good plan.fingerprint safe

Of course since you live in Canada, I have no idea if they make a version big enough to accommodate the single black powder 6 foot long flint lock Brown Bess muzzle loader your Government allows you to have.