(OT) Best War Movies, new and old.

PIZ

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Band of Brothers is incredible. On the rare occasion that catches me channel surfing, any time an episode is on HBO, I stop and watch.

141151[/snapback]

History Channel has been showing it at 10PM EST. Unedited, but there are commercials. Last night was Bastogne.

Full Metal Jacket, Platoon and Saving Private Ryan are my favorites.

140816[/snapback]

The first hour of Full Metal Jacket is as intense as anything I have ever seen. Was the first of many film roles for R. Lee Ermey who was cast as the drill instructor and had been one in real life.

The first hour of Full Metal Jacket is as intense as anything I have ever seen.  Was the first of many film roles for R. Lee Ermey who was cast as the drill instructor and had been one in real life.

141417[/snapback]

Actually, Ermey's first film role was a bit part in Apocalypse Now. He was hired as a technical advisor on the film...but for some reason that I can't recall, they ended up casting him as a Huey pilot when the Air Cav hits the beach. It's just a three-second "color" shot...but it's unmistakably him. No one else has eyebrows like that...

Actually, Ermey's first film role was a bit part in Apocalypse Now.  He was hired as a technical advisor on the film...but for some reason that I can't recall, they ended up casting him as a Huey pilot when the Air Cav hits the beach.  It's just a three-second "color" shot...but it's unmistakably him.  No one else has eyebrows like that...

141446[/snapback]

And apparently the barber never gets the order to clip them while doing his white walls.

And apparently the barber never gets the order to clip them while doing his white walls.

141451[/snapback]

Probably thought the same thing I did when I first saw 'em: "Those caterpillars will crawl off his face eventually...won't they?"

Not that I'd ever say that to his face, mind you... :lol:

Probably thought the same thing I did when I first saw 'em: "Those caterpillars will crawl off his face eventually...won't they?"

Not that I'd ever say that to his face, mind you...  :lol:

141455[/snapback]

You hit that nail on the head.

I just hope I get to meet him someday. He seems like a really cool dude.

Actually, Ermey's first film role was a bit part in Apocalypse Now.  He was hired as a technical advisor on the film...but for some reason that I can't recall, they ended up casting him as a Huey pilot when the Air Cav hits the beach.  It's just a three-second "color" shot...but it's unmistakably him.  No one else has eyebrows like that...

141446[/snapback]

According to IMDB, his first role was in The Boys in Company C which is listed a year ahead of Apocalypse Now.

His role in that film is a real departure from his later roles.....he's a drill instructor. :lol:

The guy loves war movies, but I'm not sure what to get him.  He's already getting Band of Brothers from his wife.  Are there any good ones that are out?  Any classics that every one likes?

140810[/snapback]

One of my favorite's is Glory. A great cast as well.

This is my favorite.

140857[/snapback]

Agreed,...My other favorites include

The Bridge on the River Kwai

Guns of Navarone (the boat scene is so brilliant)

Force 10 from Navarone

Where Eagles Dare

The Eagle has Landed (the book was awesome)

Come on, nobody's mentioned Heartbreak Ridge! That was a war movie... sort of. :lol:

Don't do that, man, he's just a jarhead fool

You're right, but hold me back just in case I lose my cool

Cause we're the RECON! platoon, we always GUNG HO

Gung ho to party and watch the Late Show

Til Highway came along, his abuse we don't need

But we'll end all this stevestojan when Highway meets The Swede!

SWEDE! SWEDE! SWEDE!

What did you say to him?

I said, Don't give the son of a B word the satisfaction.... sir.