Bledsoe's fake QB sneak, lateral

zow2

Several quotes I've seen and heard in national media have made reference to that play and how great it was. The NFL is such a copycat league. I wonder if we'll see some other NFL team try that play down the stretch?

Several quotes I've seen and heard in national media have made reference to that play and how great it was.  The NFL is such a copycat league.  I wonder if we'll see some other NFL team try that play down the stretch?

140771[/snapback]

I'm sure it will be copied, and I'm sure it'll be a testament of the creativity of whomever drew that one up. I really would like to know if this was something Mularkey had always wanted to do, and if not, who came up with it.

Like John Madden says, "What teams do is make you think their gonna do what you think their gonna do, and then not do that thing that you thought they were gonna do. And when you start to do that thing they thought you were gonna do, and then stop doing that thing, and then you do another thing, that's what coaches try to do and then, and then, and then you can do that play. So...do what they think you're gonna do, let them think you're doing it, then don't do it, and it'll work."

I was thinking about that play yesterday...Can you imagine the pressure that DB had on him when he heard they were running that play? They took 3 pts off the board, DB had to execute a perfect fake and turn around and throw a "TOUCH" pass,(which we all know is not DB's finest work) to Willis. With all the Negative press he has rightfully been recieving, if he would have screwed up that pass, even though we were winning, would have been devastating to his psyche. IMO.. <_<

"What teams do is make you think their gonna do what you think their gonna do, and then not do that thing that you thought they were gonna do. And when you start to do that thing they thought you were gonna do, and then stop doing that thing, and then you do another thing, that's what coaches try to do and then, and then, and then you can do that play. So...do what they think you're gonna do, let them think you're doing it, then don't do it, and it'll work."

lmfao

I don't care what everybody says, I still like that guy;-)

I've yet to see anybody else run MM's fakeaudible directsnap and I kinda doubt anybody will copy the sneakfake throwback. Coaches might steal schemes every week but I think most of them are too proud to steal another guy's innovative trick plays.

Although I'd love to see Mularkey steal that fake modified statueofliberty that NewHampshire was running last Saturday.

Thats why he makes the big bucks. He is expected to make those plans & many more.

I was thinking about that play yesterday...Can you imagine the pressure that DB had on him when he heard they were running that play? They took 3 pts off the board, DB had to execute a perfect fake and turn around and throw a "TOUCH" pass,(which we all know is not DB's finest work) to Willis. With all the Negative press he has rightfully been recieving, if he would have screwed up that pass, even though we were winning, would have been devastating to his psyche. IMO.. <_<

140804[/snapback]

I'm sure it will be copied, and I'm sure it'll be a testament of the creativity of whomever drew that one up. I really would like to know if this was something Mularkey had always wanted to do, and if not, who came up with it.

Like John Madden says, "What teams do is make you think their gonna do what you think their gonna do, and then not do that thing that you thought they were gonna do. And when you start to do that thing they thought you were gonna do, and then stop doing that thing, and then you do another thing, that's what coaches try to do and then, and then, and then you can do that play. So...do what they think you're gonna do, let them think you're doing it, then don't do it, and it'll work."

140788[/snapback]

On the Mularkey radio show Monday night he reported that "they" (I'm assuming he and Clements) have had that play available for a number of years, back to their time together in Pitt. He said that they ran it once approximately 4 years ago successfully, and that it was a matter of getting just the right look from the defense in order to pull it off.

One of the great things about plays like that (aside from the benefit of when they actually work in the game) is that opposing teams need to spend time and energy preparing and worrying about similar situations during games. It also gives the opportunity to show the same look for a certain situation but do a variation or something even very different from a 'trick' play that has been run before.

One of the great things about plays like that (aside from the benefit of when they actually work in the game) is that opposing teams need to spend time and energy preparing and worrying about similar situations during games.

Which means the next time we show a sneak the LB's are likely to be a half-step late to their gaps. <_<

On the Mularkey radio show Monday night he reported that "they" (I'm assuming he and Clements) have had that play available for a number of years, back to their time together in Pitt. He said that they ran it once approximately 4 years ago successfully, and that it was a matter of getting just the right look from the defense in order to pull it off.

140836[/snapback]

I'd agree with that. Being in the same division as Cincy, I get to see a lot of Steelers ball. They run "trick" plays with some frequency - aided in the past by Kordell Stewert's skills and recently, Randel-El's.

At the Booster meeting last night it was said that it was the first time that play had been used in the NFL. That's why it is getting the talk of the Marino fake spiked ball against the Jets. Congrats to the person who called it.

I'd agree with that.  Being in the same division as Cincy, I get to see a lot of Steelers ball.  They run "trick" plays with some frequency - aided in the past by Kordell Stewert's skills and recently, Randel-El's.

140941[/snapback]

Not to mention Hines Ward's. There were times you could have four college quarterbacks on the field at the same time, and it really opened things up especially in short-yardage, goal-line, and two-point situations. By now Mularkey has figured out who can do what for this offense, regardless of what position the player normally plays, and I think we're going to see more trickery down the road.

Amazing how we all love trick plays when they work. We've come a long way from Josh Reed's dropped flea-flicker bomb and Travis Henry's halfback option.

I still see the "Marino fake spike" play used once or twice a year. It doesn't fool anybody nowadays. The fake QB plunge could easily be pulled off by guys like Peyton or Brady since they do QB sneaks now and then to get that 3rd and half a yard. I guess it's all about the timing and type of defense in front of the QB. I'm sure we'll see it again at some point.

Speaking of Bledsoe,,,,I did count at least 3 nice touch passes in the Seattle game. I was pleasantly surprised. He had a couple duds too but at least he is getting a little better at them.

Amazing how we all love trick plays when they work.  We've come a long way from Josh Reed's dropped flea-flicker bomb and Travis Henry's halfback option.

140970[/snapback]

I believe this is the truest part of the thread. People love 'em when they work and hate 'em when they don't. The issue really becomes how you feel about them before they happen. Some don't like them regardless. I prefer having them in the arsenal and working overtime to get the execution down because it just throws another wrinkle into things for opposing teams to worry about.

Tasker was right about the lateral play, though. When you consider where we were on the field, and how we stood in the game, if that play didn't work, it could have backfired on us in a big way. Same with the onside kick to open the half.

"I'll take Gutsy Stuff I Like for 200, Alex."

At the Booster meeting last night it was said that it was the first time that play had been used in the NFL.  That's why it is getting the talk of the Marino fake spiked ball against the Jets. Congrats to the person who called it.

140957[/snapback]

It's not the first time, as MM reported on his show, he ran it @ 4 years ago. It's very cool he hung on to it though :lol: