[SUW] Favorite Holiday song?

Just Jack

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

'Blue Christmas' by Elvis Presley.

In fact, "Elvis' Christmas Album" is probably my favorite album/CD of all time. The first half has classics like 'White Christmas', 'I'll Be Home For Christmas', 'Blue Christmas', etc. while the last half has religious/spiritual songs that are both Christmas and gospel. Great stuff.

Guest Southern Man (unregistered gun)
:o  :lol:  :lol:  i just heard this song on the radio, and i think hes trying to sing "Rudy the Red-Beaked reindeer".... but yea it does sound like hes singing it the other way..... or maybe hes singing about Rudolph's encounter with a virgin?  :lol: either way thats hilarious :lol:

141165[/snapback]

That's a plausible explanation. I knew one of y'all would figure it out.

It's gotta be "Red-beaked".

On the other hand, Rudolph did have a thing for Donner's girl, Clarise. Maybe he had been rubbing up against the "Bumble" and got one of them red lipstick dog woodies.

No, but I have heard (via the Don and Mike show's annual "Elvis Death Day" show) him doing "Are You Lonesome Tonight" and cracking up while on stage.  I'll be on the lookout for the Blue Christmas you're referring to.

140998[/snapback]

I miss "Don and Mike". The station here that carried them went under. Too bad. They made the afternoon VERY entertaining.

Honorable mention: any really good tenor singing "O Holy Night". Pavarotti is great, but I've always been partial to Placido Domingo myself....

141013[/snapback]

I'd recommend the Yale singers (Whiffenpoofs?) version of "O Holy Night".

A Capella... awesome.

Well, as long as this thread is already in motion, I need to mention something.

I had to make a copy of the Rat Pack Christmas Album for my wife, and I slipped the CD into the car stereo to make sure the newly burned CD copy was playable.

While listening to Dean Martin's version of "Rudolph" I noticed something odd.

If anyone has the version of him singing Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer, please check out the final verse that goes, "Then all the reindeer loved him, as they shouted out with glee...."

Martin, who sounds like he'd had a few cocktails during the recording sessions, refers a few times to Rudolph as "Rudy" and then in the final verse after the words "shouted out with glee", sings, "Rudy the RED DICK (or red dicked) reindeer...you'll go down in history".

If you have this access to this recording, check it out. Are my ears deceiving me? Please confirm that you're hearing the same thing or is there a better explanation for the lyric he's singing?

140844[/snapback]

Heard it just a few minutes ago (on Sirius Channel 4). Because I am at work I couldn't turn it up alot, but he is definitely not saying Red Nosed in that line.

Heard it just a few minutes ago (on Sirius Channel 4). Because I am at work I couldn't turn it up alot, but he is definitely not saying Red Nosed in that line.

141376[/snapback]

Have you figured out why you started this thread yet? What's your favorite?

It appears to be "beaked"

http://www.oldielyrics.com/lyrics/dean_mar...e_reindeer.html

(Rudolph Rudolph)

Rudolph the red nose reindeer

Had a very shiny nose

And if you ever saw it

You would say it glows

All of the other reindeer

Used to laugh and call him names

They never let poor Rudy

Join in any reindeer games

Then one foggy Christmas eve

Santa came to say

Rudolph with your nose so bright

Won't you guide my sleigh tonight

Then how the reindeer loved him

As they shouted out with glee

Rudy the red nose reindeer

You'll go down in history

(Rudolph the red nose reindeer

Had a very shiny nose

And if you ever saw it

You would say it glows

All of the other reindeer

Used to laugh and call him names

They never let poor Rudolph

Join in any reindeer games)

Then one foggy Christmas eve

Santa came to say

Rudolph mit your nose so bright

Won't you guide mein sleigh tonight

Then how the reindeer loved him

As they shouted out with glee

Rudy the red beaked reindeer

You'll go down in history

Have you figured out why you started this thread yet?  What's your favorite?

141380[/snapback]

I keep waiting for it to come on Sirius, they played it 3 times yesterday that I heard. I do prefer the "older" hits, sung by people like Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, etc.

For now, here's what CD's I have of Christmas music:

Time-Life Treasury of Christmas

25 All Time Christmas Favorites

A Charlie Brown Christmas: The Original Sound Track Recording Of The CBS Television Special

Christmas 1984

Christmas Party With Eddie G.

Holiday in Dementia - Dr. Demento