Flutie was a STUD !!

He was especially a stud on defense.

Did they show the end of the playoff game against the Dolphins?

When Trace Armstrong's helmet blasted in Flutie's armpit, anyone QB in the league would have hung onto the ball...right? It's too bad Moulds fumbled a sure TD and Reed had a hissy fit by throwing the ball at the ref getting a game ejection and a 15 yard personal foul penalty (when it was at the goaline). Stop blaming Flutie already.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll never forget the '98 season…

Rob Johnson was the starting QB…we were 0-3 going into the bye week.

Erkie Kailebourne was Chairman for the Business backs the Bills campaign. The team was trying to sell the suites and club seating to trigger an extension in the lease.

Tickets were not selling.

There was a very real fear that our fair city would lose its football team.

Then Flutie took over as the starting QB and suddenly that AWESOME DEFENSE WHICH STARTED THE SEASON 0-3 went 10-3 down the stretch.

People who say it was the great defense do not have a clear memory of that season.

As soon as Flutie took over for Johnson, the Bills started winning, Flutie Fever took over, the luxury seating sold out, and the Bills stadium lease was extended.

And many Bills fans are ingrates.

The 1998 Wild Card game in Miami?

The game we lost 24-17? (nice job, defense)

The game that Flutie threw for 360 yards and ran for 29 more?

The game where Eric Moulds set an NFL record with 240 yards receiving?

The game where Flutie twice (and almost 3 times) rallied the Bills from deficits?

The game where Flutie led a late heroic comeback, twice driving the Bills down the field late in the 4th quarter?

Do you remember the second last drive…the unsportsmanlike conduct call against Andre Reed? A horrible call by the officials…we had to settle for a field goal.

Do you remember the final drive? Flutie led the team on a 10 play, 64 yard drive culminating with him being stripped from behind on a great play by Trace Armstrong.

Flutie rescued the season (remember our great defense and Rob Johnson were 0-3 before Flutie took over) AND the Bills existence in Buffalo.

And people want to slam him for losing against Miami.

It was after this game that Jimmy Johnson, the Miami coach stomped on a box of Flutie Flakes.

Unbelievable, many Bills "fans" have since treated Flutie with less class than did the Miami coach.

The moron "Coach Dickerson" did one thing while polluting the airwaves on local sports radio: he was able to brainwash many idiot fans into thinking that Doug Flutie did not contribute heavily to the Bills last two playoff seasons.

Flutie was not a great quarterback. But he was the ultimate competitor and managed to win games in spite of his physical limitations. He was a resourceful, savvy, and fiery player. Don't care what kind of person he was. Wish any of our quarterbacks since Flutie had his competitive fire.

Amen brother :P

Let me just educate you on one of the basic truths of football...it's a team game and while he played well in 98, to say he played well in 99 is ridiculous to say the least...the #1 defense in the league carried the team and kept the team winning when the egotistical midget refused to throw the ball to wide open receivers with regularity. Moulds and Reed were wide open a lot when Flutie decided to tuck and run...drives that would've ended with TDs with a real QB stalled and brought Chris Mohr onto the field thanks to the midget.

Giving credit to any single player for wins-losses is ignorant as well as insulting to that player's teammates, regardless of position.

Glad the 2000 Ravens stuck with Trent Dilfer all the way to the Superbowl to go along with one of the best defenses in league history. It's too bad the Ravens (like the Bills) screwed it up by letting go of Dilfer. Bottom line, if it's not broke, don't fix it, regardless of stats the Bills & Ravens were winning under Flutie & Dilfer. How well did the Bills do under Johnson? How did the Ravens do under Grbac? Exactly!!!

Glad the 2000 Ravens stuck with Trent Dilfer all the way to the Superbowl to go along with one of the best defenses in league history. It's too bad the Ravens (like the Bills) screwed it up by letting go of Dilfer. Bottom line, if it's not broke, don't fix it, regardless of stats the Bills & Ravens were winning under Flutie & Dilfer. How well did the Bills do under Johnson? How did the Ravens do under Grbac? Exactly!!!

To be fair, RJ played stiffer competition. He still sucked badly.

There is no question that Flutie energized Buffalo fans to buy those club seats. He probably single-handedly saved the Bills that year. And he had a great game that day...BUT...he was one yard from the tying TD and he got the ball stripped from his hands. It might have been a great defensive play, but he still lost us the game.

Did the refs job us? Yes. Did Flutie play a great game? Absolutely. Did he choke on the last play of the game? Without question. To be a great QB you have to close the deal. Being a stud right up to the moment you blow it still means you blew it. Funny how no one talks about the great game JP Losman had against the Jets when he fumbled the game away. All we talk about is how he lost us the game.

Doug was awesome but his legend exceeds reality.

PTR

When Trace Armstrong's helmet blasted in Flutie's armpit, anyone QB in the league would have hung onto the ball...right? It's too bad Moulds fumbled a sure TD and Reed had a hissy fit by throwing the ball at the ref getting a game ejection and a 15 yard personal foul penalty (when it was at the goaline). Stop blaming Flutie already.

But I bet you blame RJ for losing the Titans game.

PTR

The Bills made the playoffs because the defense was kickass those years. Flutie was a football Dominique Wilkins. Great highlights, mediocre performances.

Since Kelly, it's a debate between Flutie and Bledsoe over which was the better Bills QB...but that's not because Flutie was good. He's just better than RJ, Collins, AVP, Losman, Edwards, Fitzpatrick (who'd I miss?).

Flutie was perfect for that team. He was a human band aid for the piss poor offensive line. He thrived on broken plays. I was at RWS when the handoff to Thurman was botched and he ran it in for the winning score. It was the most exciting sporting event I have ever attended. He was also a fierce competitor, and once threw a perfect block on a Monday Night game vs. the jets as if he was a 250 pounder. Do you (or anybody) remember that play?

That said, I couldn't stand him as a person. As I recall he booked his band at a superbowl party while the Bills were in the playoffs. :P

Rob "I hurt myself falling on a football" Johnson sucked. Flutie was almost adequate.

Say what you want about Rob Johnson but the guy took a beating- some of it his own fault like Trent Edwards. He WAS a tough QB- sorry he wasn't born in PA.

Flutie gotted screwed by Ralph in 1999 vs the Titans but RJ left the field with the lead.

BTW, the "falling on a football" quote is just stupid.

It happens- it's football.

It's a legit injury-like when you roll over on the couch and the remote gets stuck in your fat gut.

Was it 6 or 7 sacks?

We were winning when he left the field, which is more than you can say about Doug Flutie's playoff day. This comment proves my point. People make excuses for Flutie. He never lost a game, the rest of the Bills team let him down.

PTR

Was it 6 or 7 sacks?

What is your point?

I remember the first Bills drive in that game.

Backed up DEEP in their own end.... crowd going CRAZY.... the Bills "brain trust" decides to pass.. pass.. pass.

The OL struggled with communication and execution and got their ass KICKED.

But of course, it was Rob Johnson's fault.

Homerun Throwback?

Rob Johnson's fault.

Whatever.

Flutie was only good if teams couldn't gameplan for him. Once teams had film on him from a few games he was terrible. As soon as he was forced to be a pocket passer he couldn't do anything. Having said that it doesn't follow from what I was saying he was a wrose option than Johnson and I really don't want to re-open that debate.

so terrible that we couldnt beat him when we played against him in SD? did we not have enough film on him a year after he was our qb for 3 years? He was always good but had a bad coordinator that couldnt adjust to defenses. I think it was Pendry, 5 wide spread??? only the best can run that, how bout a little play action w the run?, thats when flutie excelled.

worse option that rob johnson?? You dont know football. Stop posting.

I have to give Flutie props for a lot of things but he rarely if ever accepted responsibility or blame.

I remember him being ABSOLUTELY horrendous against the NYG on a beautiful October day- the NYG had practice squad players in their secondary that day and after the game Flutie could not bring himself to say he had a bad day, of course he had an exuse for everthing.

Sorry Dougie,... when you bounce the ball to your receivers all day - YOU suck.

I don't remember him ever taking responsibility.

But I bet you blame RJ for losing the Titans game.

PTR

I do, 97 yards passing, sack galore with one of our tds coming after a roughing the passer on third down(rj's longest play that day i believe) Flutie threw for 300+ the year before in a playoff game. hmmmm, last plays dont tell the whole story...ask Brett farve this year, does he suck? I gues travaris jackson was a better option after all. what about Norwood? was it his fault or the bills d in that one game???

Flutie was perfect for that team. He was a human band aid for the piss poor offensive line. He thrived on broken plays. I was at RWS when the handoff to Thurman was botched and he ran it in for the winning score. It was the most exciting sporting event I have ever attended. He was also a fierce competitor, and once threw a perfect block on a Monday Night game vs. the jets as if he was a 250 pounder. Do you (or anybody) remember that play?

That said, I couldn't stand him as a person. As I recall he booked his band at a superbowl party while the Bills were in the playoffs. :P

Don't get me wrong: Flutie was amazing to watch and wanted to win. He worked because that line sucked...but he also made the line bad because he was not able to stand in the pocket . The better teams that concentrated on wide edge rushes made him look terrible.

Would I rather have him than all the guys since? Yes. But that's not saying much.

Flutie was a stud.

Smart.

Tough.

Resourceful.

Athletic.

If you saw him on the street you would think...he's just like the rest of us.

But he wasn't.

How tall was he? Maybe 5' 10"

He could dunk a basketball.

He had the heart of a lion.

Flutie got it done because he was a football player.

Rob Johnson was the starting QB…we were 0-3 going into the bye week.

Erkie Kailebourne was Chairman for the Business backs the Bills campaign. The team was trying to sell the suites and club seating to trigger an extension in the lease.

Tickets were not selling.

There was a very real fear that our fair city would lose its football team.

Then Flutie took over as the starting QB and suddenly that AWESOME DEFENSE WHICH STARTED THE SEASON 0-3 went 10-3 down the stretch.

Guess you didn't watch that closely....the 3rd loss...was a case of the defense tanking it at the end of the game after we had the Rams beat...the 4th game of the season, which RJ started, was a win with one of the loudest crowds the stadium has ever had.

People who say it was the great defense do not have a clear memory of that season.
People saying it was the great defense are talking about the 1999 season (LEARN TO READ)...Flutie gets plenty of credit for 1998...don't accuse people of saying something they aren't to make your point....dishonesty is a disgusting character trait...guess your parents never taught you about being honest?
The moron "Coach Dickerson" did one thing while polluting the airwaves on local sports radio: he was able to brainwash many idiot fans into thinking that Doug Flutie did not contribute heavily to the Bills last two playoff seasons.
Dickerson's an idiot....and no one is saying that Flutie wasn't a big contributor to the playoff run in 98...if you think the midget was any good in 99, you better keep an eye out for the DEA because you have to be on drugs...HE STUNK in 1999...ran around like a chicken with its head cut off, not throwing the ball to WIDE OPEN WRs...our #1 defense that year (AGAIN, 1999, not 1998 is what we're referring to) carried the team

Flutie was not a great quarterback.
:P
But he was the ultimate competitor and managed to win games
wrong...the team won games...sometimes partly because of Flutie and many times in 1999, in spite of Flutie

Was it 6 or 7 sacks?

Guess you didn't notice we had a patchwork O-line that would've made any O-line we've fielded since then look like a bunch of all-Pros

I do, 97 yards passing, sack galore with one of our tds coming after a roughing the passer on third down(rj's longest play that day i believe) Flutie threw for 300+ the year before in a playoff game. hmmmm, last plays dont tell the whole story...ask Brett farve this year, does he suck? I gues travaris jackson was a better option after all. what about Norwood? was it his fault or the bills d in that one game???

So you are saying it's more important to have good stats than to win games?

PTR