Best Sports Movie

bills_fan

Best Sports Movie  

67 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best sports movie of all time?

• Bull Durham
    • The Natural
    • Hoosiers
    • North Dallas Forty
    • Major League
    • Slapshot
    • Field of Dreams
    • Brians Song
    • Caddyshack
    • Pride of the Yankees
    • Rocky
    • Raging Bull
    • Other (Explain)

Yup, that one is so great......I love this one, too:

Terence Mann: Ray, people will come Ray. They'll come to Iowa for reasons they can't even fathom. They'll turn up your driveway not knowing for sure why they're doing it. They'll arrive at your door as innocent as children, longing for the past. Of course, we won't mind if you look around, you'll say. It's only $20 per person. They'll pass over the money without even thinking about it: for it is money they have and peace they lack. And they'll walk out to the bleachers; sit in shirtsleeves on a perfect afternoon. They'll find they have reserved seats somewhere along one of the baselines, where they sat when they were children and cheered their heroes. And they'll watch the game and it'll be as if they dipped themselves in magic waters. The memories will be so thick they'll have to brush them away from their faces. People will come Ray. The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... people will come Ray. People will most definitely come.

In the book it wasn't Terence Mann, it was actually J.D. Salinger. Good book, sappy movie.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Field of Dreams :P If it's a movie my wife loves and I mean loves seeing she watches it whenever it's on and we don't typically watch movies it is NOT a sports movie.

I've never been able to figure out the attraction that movie has. It's overly dramatic.

Anybody seen "Breaking Away"? Solid cycling movie, set in Bloomington, IN. Not sure it's the best, but should be on the list.

I couldn't remember the name of that movie but it is a great film! :wallbash:

In the book it wasn't Terence Mann, it was actually J.D. Salinger. Good book, sappy movie.

Great book. Great movie.......No way was JD letting them use his name in the movie........Kinsella was lucky to get away with it in the book!

I've never been able to figure out the attraction that movie has. It's overly dramatic.

Well, let's see - you're on record as saying baseball is a silly game, and somehow you can't figure out the attraction of the movie?

And, over dramatic how? You know what's overdramatic - car scenes, action films that have to go over the top in the last 15 minutes, that's overdramatic...........Playing catch with your dad - wow - how over the top!!

Well, let's see - you're on record as saying baseball is a silly game, and somehow you can't figure out the attraction of the movie?

And, over dramatic how? You know what's overdramatic - car scenes, action films that have to go over the top in the last 15 minutes, that's overdramatic...........Playing catch with your dad - wow - how over the top!!

I like Bull Durham. :wallbash:

Let's see, a guy builds an empty baseball diamond in his cornfield just to have his dad come back from the dead and play catch with him? :P

Great book. Great movie.......No way was JD letting them use his name in the movie........Kinsella was lucky to get away with it in the book!

Aren't names public domain? I'm pretty sure if I wanted to create a fictional character whose name just happens to be Elvis Presley, there's nothing his estate can do about it.

Aren't names public domain? I'm pretty sure if I wanted to create a fictional character whose name just happens to be Elvis Presley, there's nothing his estate can do about it.

Go ahead and test that theory by writing an interracial homoerotic comedy with the main characters named Barack Obama and George W Bush

"Field of Dreams" makes me tear up every time I watch it. How can you not get the feeling in your stomach, when Ray asks his father for a game of catch?

"Hoosiers" is the other movie on that list that gets to me. Gene Hackman and Dennis Hopper are absolutely fantastic in that movie. Dennis Hopper is one of my all time favorites and my thoughts go out to him. The world will have a lost a talented entertainer when he goes.

"Without Limits" hasn't been mentioned yet and I think it deserves recognition. It's a really solid movie about Steve Prefontaine featuring Billy Crudup and Donald Sutherland. I'm not sure if many people have seen it but it's a nice watch.

From Newsweek's Salinger obit earlier this year:

The book itself was famously banned from ever becoming a movie, and Salinger also banned the use of his name in the film version of Field of Dreams, the book version of which he has appeared in as a character. In the movie, James Earl Jones instead plays Terence Mann, a prickly and reclusive author who represents a fictionalized version of Salinger.

If you google it, there are a ton more references to it. I would actually think you are right, but I've heard this story for years. (The book was called Shoeless Joe)

I'm gonna throw one into the mix from left-field:

The Big Lebowski

The Dude is an epic character.

I agree a great movie and character or should I say characters. Like most Cohen bros flicks its chalk full of characters. It's a big stretch classifying it as a sports movie though.

I agree a great movie and character or should I say characters. Like most Cohen bros flicks its chalk full of characters. It's a big stretch classifying it as a sports movie though.

I agree with it being a stretch classifying it as a sports movie, however it is Bowling that brings all the characters together and really ties the movie together. Just like the rug tied the room together "man." :P

Love the Cohen Bros., they are so creative with their movies.

From Newsweek's Salinger obit earlier this year:

The book itself was famously banned from ever becoming a movie, and Salinger also banned the use of his name in the film version of Field of Dreams, the book version of which he has appeared in as a character. In the movie, James Earl Jones instead plays Terence Mann, a prickly and reclusive author who represents a fictionalized version of Salinger.

If you google it, there are a ton more references to it. I would actually think you are right, but I've heard this story for years. (The book was called Shoeless Joe)

Hmm, that's interesting. I'm afraid I don't understand how one can legally prevent an artist from using their name.

"Field of Dreams" makes me tear up every time I watch it. How can you not get the feeling in your stomach, when Ray asks his father for a game of catch?

Oh yeah, that scene !@#$s me up every time. I think that's the point I was making. No sports movie should made you cry....other than Brian's Song. :P you cancer!

I'm gonna throw one into the mix from left-field:

The Big Lebowski

The Dude is an epic character.

Bowling is not a sport . But it makes for a great movie :P and a greater Saturday afternoon. I've spent many a Saturday back visiting WNY with crappy weather rolling a few balls and drinking many, many beers. :wallbash: