Felser: Armchair Bills analysts overdose on despair

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Realists around here are mostly pessimists or those who haven't a clue so they take the far easier road of negativity. A select few can express their their negative bias in an intelligent manner, but most grab the "easy" way out.

A true Realist would leave room for a favorable surprise knowing that evaluating this team is not a science. Too many unknowns.

Meanwhile, let's stop disturbing the majority of this town's sports fans, the ones for whom there is joy in possibility.

"Joy in possibility" has been Felser's philosophy all along. Here's how Chuck Pollock described it in 2001:

POLLOCK: Tribute to a friend is well deserved

Felser introduced me to sports figures I’d only previously read about, invited me to some quality restaurants from Boston to San Diego, and gave me plenty of great advice.

One bit of wisdom was so profound that, even now, I pass it on to young sports journalists.

It was back in the late 1970s when the Bills were in the midst of a five-year absence from the playoffs and winning barely a third of their games.

“There’s an awful lot of negative to be written right now,” he told me. “But you’ve got to remember that, for the most part, readers are fans. It’s their recreation ... their enjoyment.

“After a point, you can’t keep pounding them with bad news. That’s why, even at the worst times for a team, I try to write a piece that gives them reason for hope ... that’s all they want.”

(Don't think I qualify as "young," but I'll gladly count myself as one of the many writers to whom Chuck has forwarded Larry's message over the years.)

I'd like to think of Buffalo Bills fans as more then just casual fans, I think the Bills have some of the most diehard fans in all sports and are very knowledgeable about their team.

Its tough to find joy in a team where most fans are aware of how bad coaches and players are before they actually show it to the rest of the world.

If this new HC can't overhaul the offense in terms of a better scheme, better game plan and actually out think the opponents on game day then he won't be an improvement over the last staff. Most already realize he will out play call the last two OC's, its just a question of "IF" he can find innovative ways to get the receivers open and make holes for the running backs.

If Chan Gailey can actually improve the O line performance without upgrading both tackle positions he will be a miracle worker in my eyes. The biggest question is... will the line allow whomever the QB is to take 5-7 step drops to deliver a deep pass?

It's articles like this that make me wish Felser was still writing full time for the News.

Well, it may be a good article (not very much to it), but, does anyone remember Felser in his heyday? He was as negative as anyone...I think it is funny that the same crowd that is always ready to hang Jerry Sullivan, remembers the "good old days" of Larry Felser. I loathed Felser growing up in the 1970's and 1980's because he was every bit the "buzz kill" that Sullivan is perceived to be, but he wasn't as good a writer, and, he had a much smaller sample size to work with...

I'd like to think of Buffalo Bills fans as more then just casual fans, I think the Bills have some of the most diehard fans in all sports and are very knowledgeable about their team.

Its tough to find joy in a team where most fans are aware of how bad coaches and players are before they actually show it to the rest of the world.

If this new HC can't overhaul the offense in terms of a better scheme, better game plan and actually out think the opponents on game day then he won't be an improvement over the last staff. Most already realize he will out play call the last two OC's, its just a question of "IF" he can find innovative ways to get the receivers open and make holes for the running backs.

If Chan Gailey can actually improve the O line performance without upgrading both tackle positions he will be a miracle worker in my eyes. The biggest question is... will the line allow whomever the QB is to take 5-7 step drops to deliver a deep pass?

As long as the quarterback is not Edwards then yes

To be honest with you...in Gailey's offense, I dont think you will see much more than 3-5 step drops...

Especially with our O-Line and offensive weapons/speed...there will be no need for 7 step drops!

Well, it may be a good article (not very much to it), but, does anyone remember Felser in his heyday? He was as negative as anyone...I think it is funny that the same crowd that is always ready to hang Jerry Sullivan, remembers the "good old days" of Larry Felser. I loathed Felser growing up in the 1970's and 1980's because he was every bit the "buzz kill" that Sullivan is perceived to be, but he wasn't as good a writer, and, he had a much smaller sample size to work with...

I remember Felser in his heydey and he called as he saw them...but was never as dripping, sour and incessently negative as Sullivan. Sully never has a good day where things go right. Felser had plenty of them.

It's "off-season fever." I see it every year. There is so little going on that posters generate their own controversy by making up a scenario then going batshit over it like its real. The fact that we haven't made the playoffs is immaterial, actually, because people will always B word about what you fail to do. If we made the playoffs we'd suck because we can't get past the first round. If we won the AFC championship we'd suck because we couldn't win the Super Bowl. People in Detroit and St. Louis dream of the day they can go 7-9. It's all relative.

PTR

I remember Felser in his heydey and he called as he saw them...but was never as dripping, sour and incessently negative as Sullivan. Sully never has a good day where things go right. Felser had plenty of them.

Sullivan writes plenty of positive things about the Bills/Sabres...and every time, he is proven wrong. From what Lori posted, it doesn't sound like Larry really "called 'em like he saw 'em"...he called them like he thought fans wanted them to be seen.

Felser was always down on the Bills, even in their (admittedly fewer) good times. I think he had a change of heart, later in life, as his status as a sportswriter (or, the status of sports writing more or less) took on less significance. The Felser love, IMO, is just another case of "back in the good old days, when times were bad"....the column referred to by the OP, is really nothing...

Sullivan writes plenty of positive things about the Bills/Sabres...and every time, he is proven wrong. From what Lori posted, it doesn't sound like Larry really "called 'em like he saw 'em"...he called them like he thought fans wanted them to be seen.

Felser was always down on the Bills, even in their (admittedly fewer) good times. I think he had a change of heart, later in life, as his status as a sportswriter (or, the status of sports writing more or less) took on less significance. The Felser love, IMO, is just another case of "back in the good old days, when times were bad"....the column referred to by the OP, is really nothing...

What columns are you reading? "Positive" and Sully don't mix! I've read Felser for many decades. He dished out criticism when it was called for and kudos when things went well. He never had the corrosive, ridiculing and Ad Hominem ways of Sullivan. Sully is the little cloud that cried and enjoys p*ssing in everyone's cheerios daily. And it's a shame he's such in a negative funk because he's very smart and often right. There's no need to be the downward spiral he's become.

It's "off-season fever." I see it every year. There is so little going on that posters generate their own controversy by making up a scenario then going batshit over it like its real. The fact that we haven't made the playoffs is immaterial, actually, because people will always B word about what you fail to do. If we made the playoffs we'd suck because we can't get past the first round. If we won the AFC championship we'd suck because we couldn't win the Super Bowl. People in Detroit and St. Louis dream of the day they can go 7-9. It's all relative.

PTR

What you say is flatout true. If the Bills ever demonstrated that they can walk on water, the folks at WGR and Sully would merely take it as proof that the Bills cannot swim.

PTR

when does journalistic positivity regarding a perennial loser become propaganda?

Disagree. Larry called it as he saw it. Sometimes negative and critical to be sure but not all the time. Whe Larry was negative and critical it made an impact. I think Sully goes out of his way to be negative and confrontational.; sarcasm is his norm.

Today the media ia much different so its hard to compare. The one thing I do know is that Larry was, and still is, well respected among his peers. Not sure the same can be said for Sully at this stage of his career.

when does journalistic positivity regarding a perennial loser become propaganda?

When it becomes devoid of analysis and research into why something is done and becomes a constant blare of negativity because the FO does something the media deems wrong. If we don't sign a QB in the first round....we suck.....blah, blah.

They don't report, the B word.

When it becomes devoid of analysis and research into why something is done and becomes a constant blare of negativity because the FO does something the media deems wrong. If we don't sign a QB in the first round....we suck.....blah, blah.

They don't report, the B word.

Bingo. There is a huge difference between being critical and being negative. Critical means there is thought and analysis. Negative is just always looking about something to complain about. The Bills have problems. No one denies that. But how rational is it to declare failure before the season even begins?

PTR