Josh Reed

Josh Reed has made the most out of his limited talents. IMO, he might sign with a team for the minimum and fill a hole on someone's roster but for most teams there are younger, cheaper, and more talented WRs already in place.

The Bills decided not to bring him back and you would have to think that was Reed's best shot.

Hmmm Limited talent? He won the Biletnikoff trophy in 2001 for the best receiver in the nation, was one of the most decorated LSU players ever, ranks 9th in Bills team history with 284 receptions and 10th with 3,284 receiving yards. Not sure I would call that limited talent.

The dude was one of the best slot receivers in the NFL for two or three years at least. He went through a bad case of the drops there for a year or so but he worked through it. Always played hard, blocked well, durable.

When the Bills drafted him 36th overall I remember Polian saying Josh Reed is Andre Reed. He obviously never filled those shoes but he was there for our team on some days when nobody else seemed to get open.

Plus he always looked like he was smiling in the huddle which used to crack us up. I think he was squinting or something but it looked like he was either constipated or about to burst out laughing. A lethal combination.

I agree that developing another receiver is best for us now but I'll miss the guy. He'll catch on with a team when injuries hit.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The dude was one of the best slot receivers in the NFL for two or three years at least.

I'm not even sure his agent would have the balls to make that claim.

He had a chance to step up in 2003 and failed miserably. He redeemed himself somewhat through hardwork and a willingness to get nasty with the downfield blocking, but he never could get separation at the NFL level.

He was a total failure as a top 36 pick (thanks Tom Modrak). They should have pulled the plug in 2006.

All across the NFL, veteran players with something left are prematurely going into unwanted retirement. I can't help but forget Derrick Brooks, a future HOF'er who was unceremoniously dumped in TB. He never caught on with another team, and while it's possible he was through, I think teams would prefer to play rookie minimum than veteran minimum.

From what Brooks said, he had offers but he turned them down because they weren't in the right ballpark. Basically, Derrick wasn't interested in renting out his body as a stop-gap player for a little extra pocket change (by his standards). Edgerrin James did that and got dumped in mid-season.

He's had tryouts with the Patriots and Steelers within the last few months...both passed.

I'd be surprised if he didn't end up playing somewhere on a 1 year deal.

Same here. I'm thinking Las Vegas or Sacramento.

He dropped too many balls and came up a yard short too many times, for me. I don't really have anything against him, but I'm very glad the team is moving on.

Maybe Winnipeg.

There is no way of knowing this, but I always thought that Josh Reed would probably make a pretty good 3rd down back in the NFL. At 5'10 210 he could block when need be, run when need be, and he definitely runs better patterns than almost any 3rd down back in the league. He could be a Kevin Faulk kind of player that isn't supposed to put up huge numbers, just make a lot of 5-7 yard plays and get first downs.

The funniest or saddest thing about Reed is he was a former RB and all the talking heads would talk about his run after catch ability. I can't recall even one broken tackle run after the catch play in his entire career.

i recall quite a few for his limited play time go watch miami buf second meeting 2007 i billieve. jp to reed TD

Wow guys I guess I have some news for you. Josh Reeds stinks and always has his career is over we should have cut him three years ago. He's not serviceable, tell me how good of a blocker he is again. Yeah that 5-7 frame was tough to move around. He's just another bad mistake Marv made as GM. Jauron stuck with him had to pretend no no we like Josh he's a good player. With Evans and Owens Josh had the back up corner on him all the time He will rip it up. Ended up ripping us off.

A lot of guys the Bills let go or cut the career in the NFL is over not just Buffalo

Josh Reed does stink :unsure:

Hmmm Limited talent? He won the Biletnikoff trophy in 2001 for the best receiver in the nation, was one of the most decorated LSU players ever, ranks 9th in Bills team history with 284 receptions and 10th with 3,284 receiving yards. Not sure I would call that limited talent.

The dude was one of the best slot receivers in the NFL for two or three years at least. He went through a bad case of the drops there for a year or so but he worked through it. Always played hard, blocked well, durable.

When the Bills drafted him 36th overall I remember Polian saying Josh Reed is Andre Reed. He obviously never filled those shoes but he was there for our team on some days when nobody else seemed to get open.

Plus he always looked like he was smiling in the huddle which used to crack us up. I think he was squinting or something but it looked like he was either constipated or about to burst out laughing. A lethal combination.

I agree that developing another receiver is best for us now but I'll miss the guy. He'll catch on with a team when injuries hit.

this is exactly what i meant when i asked about reed......i always thought we didn't use him right...and feared that the pats* or someone else would figure out how to get the ball to him on quick slants etc, as we were never successful on......those are the pats* bread and butter.....so i was kinda surprised when he didn't get signed AFTER meeting with the pats*.....

but yes, it's all very early, but i would think reed wouldn't demand a ton of money and would have been snatched up quickly......he always kept himself in awesome physical condition and was a great blocking receiver......just a great locker room guy and hard worker......

I'm not surprised he hasn't been signed. I can't imagine that there is any great market for WRs who are 30 years old, undersized, and slow....not to mention who have a career resume that includes such highlights as having never had even 600 yards receiving in a single season or more than two TD receptions.

its not sad, we kept him because he was serviceable and knew the team and playbook, good blocker, but lots of guys who can still play dont get picked up when teams would rather develop a young guy w better measurables, exactly what we're doing with hardy this year. He may suck but hes got the job, maybe reed will be someones 5th receiver after injuries. heck we had Bill Brooks his last year and he was awesome, next year out of football.

dont put him down or the Bills, this happens with tons of players

The Bills defy logic at every corner...I thought the more competition the better? I thought Josh Reed really came into his own in the past few years. It's not he's fault that Captain Checkdown can't throw a 10 yard pass half the time...I've seen

Edwards throw it into the turf many times, overthrow, underthrow, hold on to long, get sacked which leads to concussions. It's not because all his receivers are covered and often it is not because the line didn't hold off defenders. I've seen Trent on occasion have all day and he stares down his primary receiver and don't look for other reads or look of his intended target. Cornerbacks must love T. Edwards! As far as Josh Reed I don't hold him that responsible for his lack of production last year. If your QB can't get you another series of downs on each possession then it affects everyone's stat's. I also am not a huge T.O. fan but he would occasionally catch a big pass and get everyone excited, now we don't have that. Yes, it sounds as Spiller has big play ability but he is a unproven commodity at this juncture in the NFL. He isn't going to be catching the ball deep most of the time if any either. So, he may catch a little swing pass or something and take it for 10 or 20 yards, but it will probably be rare that he is going to bring it to the house when he makes a reception. We should've kept T.O. and Reed, especially Reed as he comes cheap and provides experience, and depth at the position. Right now, we have some rookie free agents, a mid-round draft pick, Hardy who has been a non-factor and may still have injury problems, Stevie Johnson who occasionally makes a play and Lee Evans who is a good to very good receiver, but not a

hall of famer at this point. So where is the depth??? Get Josh Reed back soon!!!! :unsure:

Another poster talked about the ESPN article about T.O. being washed up and nobody picking him up......but i'm kinda shocked josh reed is out there....he can't be asking for much more than the minimum.....i thought the bills didn't resign him because they were going in a different direction, not because he was incompetent......if he is that bad, how sad is it we've clung to him for the past few years?

anyone have any insights into josh reed's status or visits?

thanks

He'll land someplace

Josh Reed was never one of the best slot receivers in the NFL. He made plays in college and always worked hard at any level but yes he was limited in NFL talent. The guy was small, slow, and had problems with drops. I'm glad he was a Bill but your best attributes as a WR shouldn't be blocking and not getting hurt.

All across the NFL, veteran players with something left are prematurely going into unwanted retirement. I can't help but forget Derrick Brooks, a future HOF'er who was unceremoniously dumped in TB. He never caught on with another team, and while it's possible he was through, I think teams would prefer to play rookie minimum than veteran minimum.

I was really hoping the Bills would've tried him out last year! I know - he probably was washed up, but the tampa 2 - he knew it so well...

Anyway, I think the Saints would be a great place for Josh Reed, or Detroit. He'd make a decent 3rd reciever in Detroit and could block for their new RB. In New Orleans, Brees knows how to hit a reciever, and Josh was pretty good and finding soft spots...

Wow guys I guess I have some news for you. Josh Reeds stinks and always has his career is over we should have cut him three years ago. He's not serviceable, tell me how good of a blocker he is again. Yeah that 5-7 frame was tough to move around. He's just another bad mistake Marv made as GM. Jauron stuck with him had to pretend no no we like Josh he's a good player. With Evans and Owens Josh had the back up corner on him all the time He will rip it up. Ended up ripping us off.

A lot of guys the Bills let go or cut the career in the NFL is over not just Buffalo

Josh Reed in my opinion is a very good number 3, we just never happened to have a legit QB or line play here to get the ball to him as is the case with Lee Evans. Marv resigned Josh is the mistake you're talking about? The quaterback play has been **** here and Josh reed will land somewhere and be serviceable to what degree who knows, but buffalo has a new staff and has to see what they have in these young receivers thats the reason he's no longer a bill.

Josh Reed was never one of the best slot receivers in the NFL. He made plays in college and always worked hard at any level but yes he was limited in NFL talent. The guy was small, slow, and had problems with drops. I'm glad he was a Bill but your best attributes as a WR shouldn't be blocking and not getting hurt.

yes. i wish him the best but there's a low ceiling with this guy