Any wine suggestions? (semi-LAMP)

Hey all,

As you might know from the official happy bday thread, it's my 21st today. Seeing as it's finals week here at Cornell, I'm waiting until the weekend to hit the bars...but I have to fulfill my obligation for buying alcohol on my birthday, so I'm looking to patronize one of the great local vineyards around here.

Problem is, as much as I enjoy wine, I know nothing about.

Is anybody willing to provide helpful suggestions?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey all,

As you might know from the official happy bday thread, it's my 21st today. Seeing as it's finals week here at Cornell, I'm waiting until the weekend to hit the bars...but I have to fulfill my obligation for buying alcohol on my birthday, so I'm looking to patronize one of the great local vineyards around here.

Not a wino my friend, love me some vodka though.....kettle one, mmmmmmmm. :thumbsup: Happy f-in b day by the way, be safe and don't do what I did on my 21st.

Hey all,

I'm in the same boat as you Sage. I'm 22 and haven't really dabbled with wine too much so I also know nearly nothing about it. Good thread, I will also be checking in the see the suggestions. :thumbsup:

Happy Birthday btw.

Sage - Happy 21'st - If you are hitting the Finger Lakes wine trails you are likely to find that the wines tend to be among the sweet varieties. It has been many years since I have visited the wineries so probably not fair for me to pick one over another. Visit a few, the owners are generally very gracious and helpful.

BTW - good luck with finals - it's a great feeling to put those things to bed. Enjoy some good grease laden food at Louie's for me.

Vineyard on your 21st?? Classy...a little too classy though. My roommate and I turned 21 on the same day and we were fed double shots of plastic bottle tequila and Admiral Nelson (Captain Morgan's rougher and angrier shipmate). Ugly.

I'm not a huge wine guy, but I favor Cabernets. A Robert Mondavi has never steered me wrong. But I'd definitely echo Buffalobill below -- If you are going to a vineyard, take a few samples and ask for some guidance. You'll walk out with something you like.

Enjoy! :thumbsup:

Sage - Happy 21'st - If you are hitting the Finger Lakes wine trails you are likely to find that the wines tend to be among the sweet varieties. It has been many years since I have visited the wineries so probably not fair for me to pick one over another. Visit a few, the owners are generally very gracious and helpful.

BTW - good luck with finals - it's a great feeling to put those things to bed. Enjoy some good grease laden food at Louie's for me.

Excellent stuff, BB. My roommates and I live all the way on the South Hill now, but we still make a weekly voyage up to North Campus for some Louie's.

Doube cheeseburger with pickles and olives, with an order of cajun fries. Yummmmm.

Vineyard on your 21st?? Classy...a little too classy though. My roommate and I turned 21 on the same day and we were fed double shots of plastic bottle tequila and Admiral Nelson (Captain Morgan's rougher and angrier shipmate). Ugly.

I'm not a huge wine guy, but I favor Cabernets. A Robert Mondavi has never steered me wrong. But I'd definitely echo Buffalobill below -- If you are going to a vineyard, take a few samples and ask for some guidance. You'll walk out with something you like.

Enjoy! :thumbsup:

Oh, I'll be getting sh*t-faced...just waiting til Friday or Saturday.

Tons of really good wineries down where you are up and down Cayuga and Seneca lake. Just pick up one of the maps of the trails and pick a few places to go. I always like Lucas, Hazlitt, and Americana. All of them are really accommodating and friendly. Don't be afraid to ask questions when you are there. Sample whites and reds and figure out what you like. Careful though, those little "shots" of wine start to hit you after a while. Have fun.

Red wine is much better than white,imo.

Yeah, but if he's going to a NYS vineyard then he's generally much better off with the whites. Unless he likes super-sweet reds...and if that's the case then I don't envy the hangover he's going to have. The only drinkable reds that I have found come from Ravines (in Hammondsport) and Red Newt (on Seneca) and Anthony Road (on Seneca). I'm not saying that these are the only drinkable reds in the region, but they are few and far between.

Tons of really good wineries down where you are up and down Cayuga and Seneca lake. Just pick up one of the maps of the trails and pick a few places to go. I always like Lucas, Hazlitt, and Americana. All of them are really accommodating and friendly. Don't be afraid to ask questions when you are there. Sample whites and reds and figure out what you like. Careful though, those little "shots" of wine start to hit you after a while. Have fun.

Seneca has some great wineries. Plus they have the region's only distillery (that I know of).

http://www.fingerlakesdistilling.com/

Locally made whiskey, gin, vodka, grappa and liqueurs.

Hey all,

I wish I could be of more help here. I don't know the wineries on your side of the Finger Lakes too well. Maybe The Senator can be of some help here.

But here is an interactive map of FL wineries:

http://www.fingerlakeswine.com/apps/pbcs.d...LS0903/70525012

Just move the map until you get your area in view, and then check out the offerings. Maybe a cruise where you can taste at more than one winery would be the way to go. Anyway, I'm looking forward to a report next week.

BTW, Happy Fuc#ing Birthday!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

OK the question is are you a dry, semi-dry, semi-sweet, sweet kinda wine person.

I just went on a wine tour a couple weeks back, outstanding time, get up at 10am drink wine till 6. wake up sunday at 11 and do it all over again!!!

The best Finger Lake Wineries in my opinion are:

Dr. Konstantin Frank - Was very integral in the growth of the wine industry in the Finger Lakes.

Herron Hill - Wines ok but the place is nice

Henry J. Wiemer - Great whites, small place

Red Newt - Probably the best reds in the region

I'm sure there are many others but this is what I remember from the research I did for a trip back there a couple of years ago. Will be heading back there this August with a friend I've reconnected with after 25 years.

I went to Old Main Inn in Fredonia on my 21st....did about 25 shots of kamchatka...made out with a fat girl, ate about 7 slices of pizza and woke up in a field....All in all a good night

At least you remember yours. I'm sure mine was not one of my finest moments.