Jos. A. Bank Rocks

Chef Jim

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread got me to remember the old WKRP episode:

Herb is such a douche (and wears a bad suit), so are the suits and I am totally a "dungaree"... So eff off all you "suits!"

:thumbsup::beer:

Except for when it was hot and humid, I really didn't mind wearing a suit to work as it really made it easier picking out clothes in the morning...just put on the uniform, so to speak. But back then I rarely wore a suit outside of work. Wearing one all day was enough. Most of my suits then were decent, but nothing too high end, for the most part.

Then, when I didn't wear suits to work much, I liked getting dressed in a really nice suit on occasion. At this stage, I bought mostly very nice suits.

Now in FLA I wear shorts almost every day and I'm way too fat to fit into any of my suits. :D I hope to drop a few pounds so I can wear the largest suits I own on occasion. Now getting "dressed up" constitutes a sport coat and khaki pants. Doesn't really cut it, IMO. I have always sort of like the coat and tie with jeans look for a night out, though.

TMI

:thumbsup:

I mean the military gets one thing right with fatigues... Way better than jeans... They get wet at work, they dry faster... And rip stop... Ya... Maybe too much info with the waistband thingy... And you can blouse them into your safety shoes so the don't get in the way... But, it works the other way, when you lose weight, you just crank them down!

Just went out to get a couple of suits and they had a sale on. They always have some sort of sale going on. Today it was buy one suit get the second, two shirts and two ties for free. So I got two $750 suits, two $80 shirts, three ties (two were $50 and the one he gave me free was $100) for $975 including tailoring. They have great suits with great prices but this just shows what a rip it is to pay full retail for a clothing.

LOL, for only $975??? You probably could have gotten the two shirts and three ties at Kohls for about $70 and nobody would have known the difference. Then, went to the Mens Warehouse, and got two more suits that are not quite as nice as the one's you got, but two suits that people would have complimented you on for $250 with their buy one get one sale.

With the $625 you have remaining, you could have then bought two Bills season tickets in the Rockpile.

LOL, for only $975??? You probably could have gotten the two shirts and three ties at Kohls for about $70 and nobody would have known the difference. Then, went to the Mens Warehouse, and got two more suits that are not quite as nice as the one's you got, but two suits that people would have complimented you on for $250 with their buy one get one sale.

With the $625 you have remaining, you could have then bought two Bills season tickets in the Rockpile.

Trust me, people know the difference.

Trust me, people know the difference.

With a tie on, there's what, maybe 4 inches of shirt showing when someone wears a suit? People must have some pretty good eyes. More expensive ties, yeah, there's a difference, but there are also $15 ties that you can easily get compliments on. Same with suits.

I feel ya though, I saw the Jos A Bank ad on tv during the playoffs, and still realized that I'd pay over $1,000 to get all that stuff. LOL. It's kinda like the shoes in those places. They are about $85 to start and look almost the same as the $30 on sale shoes at department stores and people actually buy them. How much of a man's shoe even shows anyway? Not $55 dollars worth for a universal black color.

It's also kind of like the Mitchell and Ness jerseys out there. You know how ridiculously overpriced they are. They themselves, have been doing 50% sales all spring for certain days, teams, leagues, etc. Probably make their $275 jerseys for about $20. It's amazing how much furniture and high end clothing stores are coming off of their profits nowadays. And you know they arne't losing money, even with the "sales".

Sorry Chef, I'm just pissed off at a furniture store for something, and I took it out in this thread. Soapboxing. LOL

I apologize. Hope you look great.

It's funny, I keep thinking about I need to buy a new suit, been at least 10 years since I bought a new one. I sell enterprise software, and I just am not in suits much anymore. Only time I wear one is for a meeting with a C level exec, so thats usually 5-8 times a year at most.

Must say I have a suit from Banks i still wear, albeit rarely, that I know has to be at least 15 years old. Have a suit or two from Century 21 in NY, and have bought at least 5 blazers there, which is what I wear most often now

I always thought that stood for Italian Retard Out Cruising?

In reference to the car, yeah that's true. But I've also worked in places where it refered to Idiot Right Out of College.

Have a suit or two from Century 21 in NY, and have bought at least 5 blazers there, which is what I wear most often now

Another downtowner? Nice. Century 21 is a good spot; only problem is it's always packed.

I Like MW and Jos A Bank as well. My only issue is fitting. I have a 50 inch chest and a 38 inch waist and forget about the shoulders. I really don't have trouble with suits, now shirts are a pain in the butt. Having a 20 1/2 inch neck does not bode well for off the rack and all of my shirts are tailored to me because they are made for whales, no offense to whales. So if I but a nice shirt for say $75 it cost me another $25 or so to tailor it.

My brother lives in Okinawa and constantly goes in and out of Korea, I am thinking about sending him my measurements and getting 5 suits made. He said the deals and fabric are unreal, same in Hong Kong (where do you all think this stuff comes from). Anyway has anyone had any luck with suits from overseas? Just curious, I know there is a lot of military folks here.

I have a gray pin stripe, navy, khaki (which is really nice) and a navy pin stripe. Want a light gray, black and maybe black pin or something really sharp and a tux.

True and IMO that is a bad thing. It works the other way with me. I would never throw my money to a sharp dressed person... It just doesn't do anything for me.

That's why I buy good suits not custom made suits. I'm not sure what you mean by sharp dressed but people aren't throwing money at me if I show up to our meetings in khakis and a polo shirt.

That's why I buy good suits not custom made suits. I'm not sure what you mean by sharp dressed but people aren't throwing money at me if I show up to our meetings in khakis and a polo shirt.

I wear a suit maybe once a month. Only when I travel, weddings or what have you. But there is nothing like a good fitting comfortable suit. Worth the money. I wear khakis and a collared or golf shirt every day.

Believe me, there is not much of a price difference and a huge quality difference between a good off-the-rack and a custom. I get my customs for approx $650-800 depending on the fabric.

Believe me, there is not much of a price difference and a huge quality difference between a good off-the-rack and a custom. I get my customs for approx $650-800 depending on the fabric.

Which isn't much given today's dollars... I read somewhere that a nice suit years ago (early half of the 1900's) went for about 90 bucks... I thought that seemed high! That number has to be too high??