Jos. A. Bank Rocks

Chef Jim

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just went out to get a couple of suits and they had a sale on. They always have some sort of sale going on. Today it was buy one suit get the second, two shirts and two ties for free. So I got two $750 suits, two $80 shirts, three ties (two were $50 and the one he gave me free was $100) for $975 including tailoring. They have great suits with great prices but this just shows what a rip it is to pay full retail for a clothing.

Do they sell laundry starch? It's been hard to find these days. This is a legit question.

I don't think so. Are you just talking spray starch?

No. The product that is added to the wash, that you then iron when the clothing is still slightly damp.

The spray product (brand name "Niagara") is fairly available. But it's an iffy product in my experience- spotting in ironed areas that received more spray deposition.

I seldom have call for fancy dress, but when I do (sadly, mostly funerals these days) I will have my pant creases, shirt sleeve crease and cuff, and collar crisp. Old school, I know...

No. The product that is added to the wash, that you then iron when the clothing is still slightly damp.

The spray product (brand name "Niagara") is fairly available. But it's an iffy product in my experience- spotting in ironed areas that received more spray deposition.

I seldom have call for fancy dress, but when I do (sadly, mostly funerals these days) I will have my pant creases, shirt sleeve crease and cuff, and collar crisp. Old school, I know...

SIC, I iron pretty much anything I wear and have never heard of such a product but would love to get my hands on some. I use the spray and for the life of me can not remember the name but it leaves no spots or white flakes while leaving a medium to light body. The best so far, retails for about 1.39 a can. I would starch the dog if i could, i hate a wrinkled mess, nothing worse.

I'm not a big fan of the spray starch either that's why my dress shirts get sent out for dry cleaning. I don't know what they use but it works.

SIC, I iron pretty much anything I wear and have never heard of such a product but would love to get my hands on some. I use the spray and for the life of me can not remember the name but it leaves no spots or white flakes while leaving a medium to light body. The best so far, retails for about 1.39 a can. I would starch the dog if i could, i hate a wrinkled mess, nothing worse.

The product I prefer is added to the wash, then you have to air dry or tumble in the dryer with no heat - with an eye to be sure in both cases that the clothing still has a bit of moisture. Today, most fabrics are called wash 'n wear - which is good in most cases. Ironing is more a "touch up" operation than in years past.

The heat imparted by subsequent ironing sets the starch. I only use it for my special dress garb. General wrinkles of washed clothing isn't a problem for me - timing of a dryer cycle goes a long way - for me. My wife probably irons 20% of her clothing.

She won't let me wash her clothing. I'm always willing, but I only know warm/cold wash and towel/medium drying. :doh:

BTW - don't skimp on a flat iron purchase. Do research and buy the best one you can afford. We have a 15 year old Rowena, but I would guess the brand name (if it still exists) is now owned by some oriental holding company and if the name is still out there, it is manufactured by who knows who.

Also - if you buy barbering scissors, buy authentic Italian...mine is 30 years old, still tight, and only needed a sharpening 3 years ago.

Laundry starch:

http://www.rosebrand.com/product14/Argo-St...amp;info=Primer

I mostly sent my shirts out to be done (light starch) but sometimes would use spray starch at home (cuffs and collars only).

Rowenta still makes great irons.

http://www.rowentausa.com/rowenta/frame.aspx

Laundry starch:

http://www.rosebrand.com/product14/Argo-St...amp;info=Primer

I mostly sent my shirts out to be done (light starch) but sometimes would use spray starch at home (cuffs and collars only).

Rowenta still makes great irons.

http://www.rowentausa.com/rowenta/frame.aspx

Thanks Dean. The Rowenta irons are pricy but may take a shot at them if they really last. Some one bought me the Shark, what a POS, kept leaking on my clothes. $50 and it sits in the closet. I still have the one from when i was single, a cheap $20 target model but works great.

Thanks Dean. The Rowenta irons are pricy but may take a shot at them if they really last. Some one bought me the Shark, what a POS, kept leaking on my clothes. $50 and it sits in the closet. I still have the one from when i was single, a cheap $20 target model but works great.

If you are looking to save a buck or two, Panasonic makes decent irons, too.

http://www.consumersearch.com/steam-irons

I really like my Rowenta, though. Best iron I've ever used.