We need a mobile QB

major

For years, I've felt we needed a mobile QB, due to our line. We need someone in the vain of a Steve Young or Roger Staubach that can move around and make things happen. Right now, I don't think any of our 3 QB's fit that mold.

The last mobile QB we had was Doug Flutie. Before you start bashing the concept of a mobile QB, remember that this style of QB play took us to our last playoff appearance.

With the direction we are headed a mobile QB would not fit. Our WR core (yes, eye meaned that, sea the post a few weeks passed) is not going to adapt to getting in to position to allow that qb to make the throws, Flutie had the same problem. Eventually, to beat us, they're only count on him as a runner and stuff the box with a spy. A mobile QB would set us back to 0...again.

Doug Flutie was the last quarterback to take us to the playoffs because he was the last good quarterback we've had, not because he was the last mobile quarterback we had. You acquire the best quarterback available and fix the offensive line. You don't acquire a quarterback just because he's mobile and then assume that the offensive line can now be disregarded.

Doug Flutie was the last quarterback to take us to the playoffs because he was the last good quarterback we've had, not because he was the last mobile quarterback we had. You acquire the best quarterback available and fix the offensive line. You don't acquire a quarterback just because he's mobile and then assume that the offensive line can now be disregarded.

That's absurd. The Bills made the playoffs that year because they had the 2nd best ranked defense in the NFL.

That's absurd. The Bills made the playoffs that year because they had the 2nd best ranked defense in the NFL.

You're correct there, but missing the point. Flutie was the Bills last good quarterback because he was the Bills last good quarterback, not simply because he was mobile.

I know I'm opening myself up to a bashing here, but a guy who has come to my mind a lot this offseason is Jeff Garcia. Sure, he's old - but, he's never played old - he's quick, accurate, and I think he's actually played well the last few times he's been given a chance. His attitude about being the starter is the only drawback in my mind - he'd not want to be a second stringer. But, he'd come in and be the best QB on our team immediately, and I think would be a good signing for two years - unless Edwards or Brohm - doubtfully Brown - step up and really show improvement. My fear, though, with Edwards, is that he looks great in practice and when it doesn't count, maybe even looking like he finally gets it and does great for a few games, and then the mental terror sets in with him and he loses his nerve. So, I guess if you give Edwards the chance again you set yourself up for disaster - so, I think you bring in a guy like Garcia and let him take over if he shows he's still got it, and a guy like Edwards psychologically would probably come off the bench with a chip on his shoulder (or, being seen as the second string guy, he'd have nothing to prove, much less pressure - and would probably thrive in that role).

Gaither or the guy from New Orleans and a vet QB like Garcia, and we'd be, I think, capable of 9-7 or 10-6 and a wildcard spot.

You're correct there, but missing the point. Flutie was the Bills last good quarterback because he was the Bills last good quarterback, not simply because he was mobile.

Flutie was not a good QB. He was just better than those who have come after him. Akili Smith may be a better QB than those who succeeded Flutie.

And I'm not sure he's better than Bledsoe, though maybe in their Buffalo tenures, Flutie was better than Bledsoe.

Ryan Fitzpatrick is the first QB in almost 20 years to throw a 50 yard TD pass and a 50 yard TD in the same game (Surprising Vick never had one of those games). I think Fitz could be classified as a mobile QB. Now clearly Fitz is just a solid backup and not the answer at QB.

I think we should just focus on getting our O-line in order rather then getting a QB that can compensate for our bad O-line. If we get Gaither then we have 3 core pieces to our O-line (Gaither at LT, LG Levitre and RG or C with Wood) and having a bunch of prospects at RT with Bell, Meridith, and Wang who could pan out. However even if we don't get Gaither we have to hope one of our Tackle prospects pans out at RT or LT.

A mobile quarterback to compensate for a bad offensive line? I think fixing the offensive line and going with a qb who will operate from the pocket might be a better way to go. Trying all sorts of things to compensate for a bad offensive line seems somewhat bizarre to me.

A mobile quarterback to compensate for a bad offensive line? I think fixing the offensive line and going with a qb who will operate from the pocket might be a better way to go. Trying all sorts of things to compensate for a bad offensive line seems somewhat bizarre to me.

Thank you. I was hoping someone would point this out.