Beerball brought up the point...

is taking 2nd team snaps…behind 6th round pick Danny Batten and undrafted free agent Antonio Coleman.

Many people here are hopeful and/or predicting that Maybin will experience instant success as a rush linebacker in our new 3-4 scheme.

He was our first round draft pick last year.

Snide "bust" comments notwithstanding, isn't this more than a bit alarming that Maybin is taking snaps behind a 6th round draft pick and an undrafted free agent?!?!?

Maybe they're trying to light a fire under his ass. Either that or they think more highly of the other two players. There's not too many possible explanations out there.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is taking 2nd team snaps…behind 6th round pick Danny Batten and undrafted free agent Antonio Coleman.

Many people here are hopeful and/or predicting that Maybin will experience instant success as a rush linebacker in our new 3-4 scheme.

Snide "bust" comments notwithstanding, isn't this more than a bit alarming that Maybin is taking snaps behind a 6th round draft pick and an undrafted free agent?!?!?

Maybe they're trying to light a fire under his ass. Either that or they think more highly of the other two players. There's not too many possible explanations out there.

Isn't this camp supposed to be for the rookies?

Way too early to tell anything...

The guy was considered a 1-2 year project coming out of college, so I think we have to wait until next year to see if he can become any kind of player.

But right now, the Maybin pick is looking to be one of the worst (if not the worst) draft pick in the history of the franchise.

Isn't this camp supposed to be for the rookies?

Maybin is in attendance. All first and second year players can attend "voluntarily."

I thought in fact that Maybin had tweeted how excited he was to be attending…could be wrong.

But he was on the official list of players participating and I believe Beerball said that he saw him in the video on the Bills' site.

So I'm pretty damn sure that he's there.

I'm pretty shocked that people are dismissive of the fact that the 11th overall pick in last year's draft is taking snaps behind a 6th round pick and an undrafted rookie.

Too early? I just don't know about that. Very few things are devoid of meaning here. Gailey has implied that the top three QBs in OTAs will be brought to camp. The top three. The Bills have 4 QBs.

This is not a picnic in the park. There is competition for jobs going on as we speak.

I think it's is way too early to read anything into this considering it is the FIRST day of ROOKIE Minicamp. The fact is, anyone here who thought that Maybin would have INSTANT success at any position was off their rocker. Many here felt that he was MORE LIKELY to have success at the OLB or RushLB position due to his size and speed, but he is a raw talent who came out of school early and has a lot of room to grow with upside. Can we please just leave the bust comments to a minimum until the guy has, I don't know, started a couple of games in the league? Many first round picks take two or three years to fulfill their potential. Expecting every first round pick to be an instantaneous success is like expecting to find gold and a leprechaun at the end of every rainbow. Let's get serious folks. Give the kid a chance to see what he can do at the position before the bashing and hating begin.

Rookies, first year and second year players can attend.

And why wouldn't the coaches want to see more snaps taken by the draftees than first and second year players that they've been watching film on for the last five months? Bet 'cher ass those first and second year players should be bustin' a gut to impress the coaches that they'll do ANYTHING to be a starter.

The guy was considered a 1-2 year project coming out of college, so I think we have to wait until next year to see if he can become any kind of player.

But right now, the Maybin pick is looking to be one of the worst (if not the worst) draft pick in the history of the franchise.

:thumbsup: Mike Williams?

Maybin is in attendance. All first and second year players can attend "voluntarily."

I thought in fact that Maybin had tweeted how excited he was to be attending…could be wrong.

But he was on the official list of players participating and I believe Beerball said that he saw him in the video on the Bills' site.

So I'm pretty damn sure that he's there.

I'm pretty shocked that people are dismissive of the fact that the 11th overall pick in last year's draft is taking snaps behind a 6th round pick and an undrafted rookie.

Too early? I just don't know about that. Very few things are devoid of meaning here. Gailey has implied that the top three QBs in OTAs will be brought to camp. The top three. The Bills have 4 QBs.

This is not a picnic in the park. There is competition for jobs going on as we speak.

I guess I wasn't clear. When I reread what I wrote it didn't come across right. I meant that since this is for rookies I would think they are going to get the vast majority of playing time. JMO

I think it's is way too early to read anything into this considering it is the FIRST day of ROOKIE Minicamp. The fact is, anyone here who thought that Maybin would have INSTANT success at any position was off their rocker. Many here felt that he was MORE LIKELY to have success at the OLB or RushLB position due to his size and speed, but he is a raw talent who came out of school early and has a lot of room to grow with upside. Can we please just leave the bust comments to a minimum until the guy has, I don't know, started a couple of games in the league? Many first round picks take two or three years to fulfill their potential. Expecting every first round pick to be an instantaneous success is like expecting to find gold and a leprechaun at the end of every rainbow. Let's get serious folks. Give the kid a chance to see what he can do at the position before the bashing and hating begin.

agreed. i'm not here to say maybin will definitely succeed, but he's a bill and i'm going to root for him. as it's often said about donte, it's not maybin's fault he was picked where he was - or that he was picked by us at all. i see a lot of misdirected hostility on this board.

And my point is "Shouldn't Maybin at least be pencilled in as a starter within this group?"

Anyway, through constructive posts, we now have three possibilities:

1) They want to see more of the rookies (although Steve Johnson was ahead of Marcus Easley and Jamon Meredith was ahead of Ed Wang), so I'm not seeing that theory

2) They are trying to light a fire under Maybin's ass

3) They think the other guys are better players than Maybin

Of course it's early…but that doesn't mean that there's no meaning in the player rotations.

Okay. Sorry to interrupt the Trent Edward threads. Apparently I'm one of the few that finds this to be an interesting development. I guess there's almost no point in discussing rookie minicamp because it's too early. My bad. :thumbsup:

Where are you getting the info that he isn't working with the 1st group? The article on BB.com merely said:

"Sixth-round pick Danny Batten as expected played outside linebacker on the strong side while fellow sixth-round pick Arthur Moats was inside. College free agent Antonio Coleman lined up opposite Batten at the other outside linebacker spot."

This was under the heading "Lineups" and was explaining what positions all of the new players on the team were lining up at. Not which unit they were playing with.

:thumbsup: Mike Williams?

You do NOT draft project players with a first round pick, especially in the top 15.

Yes, the Mike Williams pick was bad, but when one looks at the circumstances surrounding both picks, the Williams pick can be justified. The Maybin pick was flat out stupid. Now we have to wait 2-3 years to find out.