Beerball brought up the point...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You do NOT draft project players with a first round pick, especially in the top 15.

Yes, the Mike Williams pick was bad, but when one looks at the circumstances surrounding both picks, the Williams pick can be justified. The Maybin pick was flat out stupid. Now we have to wait 2-3 years to find out.

There are those on this board that just don't get that.

:thumbsup:

The guy was considered a 1-2 year project coming out of college, so I think we have to wait until next year to see if he can become any kind of player.

But right now, the Maybin pick is looking to be one of the worst (if not the worst) draft pick in the history of the franchise.

Aaron Maybin: Reason number 5,214,931 why DJ sucked.

Kid is a project, and I'm glad he's at mini-camp. Maybe the staff is making him realize that the HC who picked him isn't around and there aren't any free-passes, nor should he plan on starting.

You do NOT draft project players with a first round pick, especially in the top 15.

Yes, the Mike Williams pick was bad, but when one looks at the circumstances surrounding both picks, the Williams pick can be justified. The Maybin pick was flat out stupid. Now we have to wait 2-3 years to find out.

Yeah, it depends if we're talking worst result or worst decision. The floor on Williams was supposed to be that he would end up a solid starter at RT who couldn't jump to the left side. McKinnie seemed like and became the better option, but it wasn't a disaster of a pick until he showed up.

Personally, I think this quote from McKelvin is more alarming:

"So I got them off Brohm, but it was pretty good to get my hands on a lot of balls"

:thumbsup:

Naw, this was a follow-up to him talking trash about Levi Brown who he knows because they both went to the same college (Troy). McKelvin said to Levi that he was going to intercept some of Levi's passes but turned out to never be on the field at the same time with him. But he got two off of Brohm and was happy about it. That's all, it's a non-issue.

And my point is "Shouldn't Maybin at least be pencilled in as a starter within this group?"

Hopefully he will earn that, but as of now I wouldn't pencil him in over anyone. Expecting instant success out of Maybin at LB is really pushing it.

Aaron Maybin is definately going to be on the roster this upcoming season. The coaching staff is most likely using this time too evaluate the new guys. This is also the best chance Batten and Coleman will get to make their case.

I read somewhere that it was either Batten or Coleman had a quicker short shuttle time, was faster off the line, than Maybin was coming out last year - clocked. Now, he's supposed to have a really fast jump off the ball. I'd be really pleased if we had that kind of speed on both sides chasing down the qb.

As for a bust - well, if others can out-perform him, then put 'em on the field. He's had all the opportunity - if he can play, they'll let him. Personally, I think we're going to have a great combo of outside linebackers for the next four or five years.

I think most of us are operating under the assumption that this was a horrible last gasp pick by Jauron last year, and expect the worst.

If Maybin provides any sort of a positive contribution on defense this season, it will be more than I'm expecting.

I just think it's a clear sign from Buddy that Maybin wasn't his pick. And yes, a number one pick should be starting. If Maybin = Batten, he won't be on the squad. We should know soon enough. I don't think we need three years to evaluate this guy.

I just think it's a clear sign from Buddy that Maybin wasn't his pick. And yes, a number one pick should be starting. If Maybin = Batten, he won't be on the squad. We should know soon enough. I don't think we need three years to evaluate this guy.

Thank god you have no say on personnel. By that brilliant logic, you would have cut Eric Moulds after his 2nd season.

Naw, this was a follow-up to him talking trash about Levi Brown who he knows because they both went to the same college (Troy). McKelvin said to Levi that he was going to intercept some of Levi's passes but turned out to never be on the field at the same time with him. But he got two off of Brohm and was happy about it. That's all, it's a non-issue.

nevermind.....

is taking 2nd team snaps…behind 6th round pick Danny Batten and undrafted free agent Antonio Coleman.

Many people here are hopeful and/or predicting that Maybin will experience instant success as a rush linebacker in our new 3-4 scheme.

He was our first round draft pick last year.

Snide "bust" comments notwithstanding, isn't this more than a bit alarming that Maybin is taking snaps behind a 6th round draft pick and an undrafted free agent?!?!?

Maybe they're trying to light a fire under his ass. Either that or they think more highly of the other two players. There's not too many possible explanations out there.

exactly where he should have been drafted

is taking 2nd team snaps…behind 6th round pick Danny Batten and undrafted free agent Antonio Coleman.

Many people here are hopeful and/or predicting that Maybin will experience instant success as a rush linebacker in our new 3-4 scheme.

He was our first round draft pick last year.

Snide "bust" comments notwithstanding, isn't this more than a bit alarming that Maybin is taking snaps behind a 6th round draft pick and an undrafted free agent?!?!?

Maybe they're trying to light a fire under his ass. Either that or they think more highly of the other two players. There's not too many possible explanations out there.

What is to be expected? He was NOT a nix pick. Hell nix has hinted he never would have taken a guy like Maybin. Nix and Gailey aren't going to automatically start him over guys they picked who performed for YEARS in College.

Thank god you have no say on personnel. By that brilliant logic, you would have cut Eric Moulds after his 2nd season.

Moulds wasn't a one hit wonder that only got on the field because the guy in front of him got suspended. Maybin would never have seen the field if not for that.

Where are you getting the info that he isn't working with the 1st group? The article on BB.com merely said:

"Sixth-round pick Danny Batten as expected played outside linebacker on the strong side while fellow sixth-round pick Arthur Moats was inside. College free agent Antonio Coleman lined up opposite Batten at the other outside linebacker spot."

This was under the heading "Lineups" and was explaining what positions all of the new players on the team were lining up at. Not which unit they were playing with.

It's open to interpretation but I (and some others) are not seeing it the way you are, Baby Joe. Here's the entire quote:

Lineups

"On the whole there weren’t many lineup surprises. Second-round pick Torell Troup lined up at nose tackle with the first group here at this minicamp with third-round pick Alex Carrington flanking him at left end. Marlon Favorite saw some time at end and nose tackle.

Rashaad Duncan, who was signed last season as a defensive tackle, appears to be more of an end in the Bills new 3-4 scheme and lined up on the edge in practice Friday.

Sixth-round pick Danny Batten as expected played outside linebacker on the strong side while fellow sixth-round pick Arthur Moats was inside. College free agent Antonio Coleman lined up opposite Batten at the other outside linebacker spot."

So I'm treating the second paragraph as a logical extension of the first…which players were taking "first team" snaps.

Not saying I'm right and I see where you're interpreting it differently.