How many touches of the football by Spiller will make you happy?

Keep in mind, I am referring to touches as total touches. That means KR/PR, WR, and RB. I consider 20 acceptable. 15 would sorta piss me off. Probably should have done a poll, but would really like a discussion about how viable it is to use him in so many roles. He seems smart, except for that wonderlic thingie...

Edited title - Particularly upsetting to myself since I just discussed the need to bullet proof posts. Of course I was talking about PPP.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every punt, KR and about 15 offensive touches.

agreed on punt and KR, and also agree on 15 as long as we're spreading the ball around and Lynch/Jackson are getting 20 touches between the two of them as well. if it works out that Spiller becomes our main back, then i want to see his return numbers lower and his offensive touches well above 20.

agreed on punt and KR, and also agree on 15 as long as we're spreading the ball around and Lynch/Jackson are getting 20 touches between the two of them as well. if it works out that Spiller becomes our main back, then i want to see his return numbers lower and his offensive touches well above 20.

Spiller as WR intrigues me. Throw Lynch or Jackson in the backfield and you present two different formations with Spiller at WR. Power Running or is Jackson getting the ball? Or is it designed to get Spiller the ball a couple of yards (or 40 with an OL) down the field.

Spiller should get his share of 'touches', but so should Lynch, Jackson, Evans, Hardy, and Nelson. One of the most brilliant offensive minds in the game subscribes to the theory of spreading the football around equally to all its skill players, making it impossible to focus on defending one or two specific players...

"You try to get the ball in everyone's hands because then it makes the whole offense harder to keep track of. If they aren't spreading the ball around, they aren't forcing the defense to cover the entire field. They are leaving empty spaces unprobed."

- Mike Leach -

I guess I would be happy with Jackson getting much of the early action, Spiller on 3rd down (assuming the RBs aren't forced to block on most pass plays). Then more touches in the run game in the second half for CJ. Maybe something along the lines of 15 runs, 5 passes per game.

Depends on how he is in the slot. From the backfield I am happy with 15 or so. Also depends on if McLovin is ready to return kicks at an elite level in which case I think he can share the load on returns.

I think he is clearly as a style of player somewhere between Tomlinson and Reggie Bush, and it is up to our staff to make him have an impact. I don't think 25+ will help him make as big an impact. I want him fresh and explosive every touch, and hope Marshawn will stay around to be our masher and wear down the lineman a little.

Keep in mind, I am referring to touches as total touches. That means KR/PR, WR, and RB. I consider 20 acceptable. 15 would sorta piss me off. Probably should have done a poll, but would really like a discussion about how viable it is to use him in so many roles. He seems smart, except for that wonderlic thingie...

Edited title - Particularly upsetting to myself since I just discussed the need to bullet proof posts. Of course I was talking about PPP.

enough so that he has 2 or 3 big plays a game...

I don't think Spiller should ever return one kick off or one punt during his entire Bills' career. If this kid has "Chris Johnson-like" size and strength, he should get get at least 20 carries per game, and let Freddy filter in with another 10 - 15 per game himself. If Edwards ends up the starter, you won't have to worry about him getting his catches, he'll lead the Bills in receptions until Trent gets his annual injury.

If Chan Gailey is as smart as people on this board make him out to be, the Bills should become a top 5 rushing offense for 2010. That will keep his lousy QB's from losing games all by themselves, it will keep his brand new 3-4 defense from being on the field the entire game, and it will keep his Bills in just about every game they play this season. RUN and STOP THE RUN. That's the entire mantra Gailey should be preaching to his coaching buddies from his past, that are now in charge of our down-trodden Bills.

Chan and Buddy have decided not to sign any talented offensive skill position players in FA this year. They kicked T.O. to the curb. Evans is now back to being our number one WR unable to get open, with nothing but a bunch of unproven kids playing opposite from him now that Reed is gone too. Same three unproven QB's plus Levi Brown to throw them the ball. Yes sir, it seems like "Ground Chan" would be the most successful offensive strategy our head coach/offensive coordinator should adopt.

"You try to get the ball in everyone's hands because then it makes the whole offense harder to keep track of. If they aren't spreading the ball around, they aren't forcing the defense to cover the entire field. They are leaving empty spaces unprobed, and if the players disrespect this concept, then you lock them in the shed, with no water or light until they understand it, that's how I roll, GO TEAM!!"

I love that guy!