Kevin Mawae

8-time probowler at a "technical" position....and last i checked, we have a punching bag LT..

I think he's worth signing.

If we don't sign him he has a great year for another team. If he comes here he's a bust, luck of the Bills.

I think Nix and Co. believe we are set at Center with Hangartner and the young guys brought in. As for Mawae, I wouldn't mind him coming in, but he's 40 and nothing more than a stop gap for a season or two. From the looks of things, Nix has no interest in patchworking a line, but building from scratch.

8-time probowler, proven guy at a position we desperately need. Does this make sense to anyone else?

On top of the reasons expressed by others, I disagree that center is a "position we desperately need."

The team is rebuilding, a 39-year-old center doesn't fit the roster. Hangartner and/or Wood will man the position and grow with the team.

If we're going to consider a free agent offensive lineman, it has to be a left offensive tackle. Now THAT is a position we desperately need, IMO.

I think Nix and Co. believe we are set at Center with Hangartner and the young guys brought in. As for Mawae, I wouldn't mind him coming in, but he's 40 and nothing more than a stop gap for a season or two. From the looks of things, Nix has no interest in patchworking a line, but building from scratch.

Stop gap is the operative word. I am sick of opposing NTs being in our backfield to take the hand-off. Let him stop that for a year or two.

Stop gap is the operative word. I am sick of opposing NTs being in our backfield to take the hand-off. Let him stop that for a year or two.

And then when he retires we either hire another stop gap or go back to the drawing board and develop a center. That my friend is the cycle of mediocrity that Nix is trying to stop.

And then when he retires we either hire another stop gap or go back to the drawing board and develop a center. That my friend is the cycle of mediocrity that Nix is trying to stop.

But if he is an upgrade, even for a year or two, do you not take him and draft a suitable replacement? That my friend, is called upgrading your roster.

But if he is an upgrade, even for a year or two, do you not take him and draft a suitable replacement? That my friend, is called upgrading your roster.

If he was the key to the playoffs or Super Bowl then yes you take him. I don't see Center as being the final piece to the puzzle to get this team over .500. Personally, I think Hangartner did a good job with two rookie guards next to him and both we adjusting to new positions from college.

Looking at this list, Mawae doesn't seem to offer any major upgrade over Hangartner. http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.ph...&numgames=1

Is Mawae a Pro Bowler? yeah, but so were Jason Peters and Travis Henry

If he was the key to the playoffs or Super Bowl then yes you take him. I don't see Center as being the final piece to the puzzle to get this team over .500. Personally, I think Hangartner did a good job with two rookie guards next to him and both we adjusting to new positions from college.

Looking at this list, Mawae doesn't seem to offer any major upgrade over Hangartner. http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.ph...&numgames=1

Is Mawae a Pro Bowler? yeah, but so were Jason Peters and Travis Henry

good point. i was thinking a year max, but i do see what you're saying...i think im grasping for anything at this point.

To those saying that Mawae is no better than Hangartner, or is simply a "stopgap"...you are full of crap. Just because the Bills have signed useless pieces like Terrell Owens in the past, and it hasn't worked, young players will only get better, when there are some pieces around them that allow them to succeed...Mawae is still one of the best centers in the NFL. Hangartner is mediocre. He had a great 2009 season. Sure, he won't play a lot longer, but why head into every NFL season, hampered by your offensive line woes. Everyone is high on Wood and Levitre, honestly, I am not sure why. Not saying they won't be good football players, as they are young, but why not let them get their sea legs under the tuteledge of a proven guy like Mawae (who is still playing at a very high level) than an average player like Hangartner, who appears to have plenty to learn himself, at this point?

The reason 31 teams are not interested in Mawae, is because they don't want the NFL players rep on their team, in a year where there will most likely be labor issues. For the Bills, there is that, and the fact that they are playing under their own self-imposed salary cap, that will not allow them to pay what it would take to sign a player like Mawae. Call it shrewd, call it smart, or call it stupid...the Bills are who we know they are...

My disclaimer is that I'm not necessarily talking about the Kevin Mawae situation specifically. I am speaking generally about the idea of bringing in a proven veteran to start over an unproven player who shows promise.

In any given situation, you can have a situation where a veteran player is impeding the development of a young player OR one in which he is aiding the development of that same young player.

Take Terrell Owens for instance. He reportedly took Hardy and Johnson under his wing last year. But would they have been better off getting snaps instead of advice? Reps instead of recommendations? Actual playing time instead of visualization exercises?

If both have strong 2010 seasons does that mean that they benefitted from TOs presence or does it mean that TO stood in their way when they were all ready to contribute in major roles on the team?

No one knows the answer in any specific case. But the people who are in the best position to know if a prospective veteran acquisition is more likely to impede or aid a young player is the coaching staff. We can have faith in their ability to make that decision or we can choose not to have faith.

On a related point, if we treat it as a given that the Bills are not a playoff team, then what is the value of bringing in Kevin Mawae?

The only value would be as a mentor to our younger O-linemen. But isn't that mentoring value discounted as a result of Mawae taking valuable playing time away from Hangartner and/or Wood?

I am not against the idea of bringing in veteran players to bolster this roster. But I'm not feeling the Kevin Mawae argument. I could definitely go along with Jared Gaither, Jamaal Brown, or better yet, a free agent like Flozell Adams.

The reason for my opinion is that the Bills are viewed as fairly solid in the interior O-line but very shaky at OLT. Furthermore, if the Bills are to evaluate their trio of veteran QBs, it does make sense to have a solid left tackle substantially upgrading and protecting the blind side…more sense IMO than upgrading a position where the Bills are already adequate AND promising.

My disclaimer is that I'm not necessarily talking about the Kevin Mawae situation specifically. I am speaking generally about the idea of bringing in a proven veteran to start over an unproven player who shows promise.

In any given situation, you can have a situation where a veteran player is impeding the development of a young player OR one in which he is aiding the development of that same young player.

Take Terrell Owens for instance. He reportedly took Hardy and Johnson under his wing last year. But would they have been better off getting snaps instead of advice? Reps instead of recommendations? Actual playing time instead of visualization exercises?

If both have strong 2010 seasons does that mean that they benefitted from TOs presence or does it mean that TO stood in their way when they were all ready to contribute in major roles on the team?

No one knows the answer in any specific case. But the people who are in the best position to know if a prospective veteran acquisition is more likely to impede or aid a young player is the coaching staff. We can have faith in their ability to make that decision or we can choose not to have faith.

On a related point, if we treat it as a given that the Bills are not a playoff team, then what is the value of bringing in Kevin Mawae?

The only value would be as a mentor to our younger O-linemen. But isn't that mentoring value discounted as a result of Mawae taking valuable playing time away from Hangartner and/or Wood?

I am not against the idea of bringing in veteran players to bolster this roster. But I'm not feeling the Kevin Mawae argument. I could definitely go along with Jared Gaither, Jamaal Brown, or better yet, a free agent like Flozell Adams.

The reason for my opinion is that the Bills are viewed as fairly solid in the interior O-line but very shaky at OLT. Furthermore, if the Bills are to evaluate their trio of veteran QBs, it does make sense to have a solid left tackle substantially upgrading and protecting the blind side…more sense IMO than upgrading a position where the Bills are already adequate AND promising.

Agree and disagree...if the line continues to struggle (and it was pretty bad last year, people seem to be forgetting, not a slam on Wood and Levitre), the whole offense is held back. Like you, I am not necessarily saying that Mawae is the guy to sign, but I think experienced guys, with skills (like Mawae) would help the entire offense more than guys that they have been signing. I was really unimpressed by Hangartner last season. He many not be a bad football player, but that whole line looked really inept, more often than not. A guy like Mawae would give them some stability, and, ultimately, confidence...this team really needs to experiences some success... perhaps Gailey and his staff will be able to do something in this area (I have almost forgotten the notion of good coaching), but, I would rather sign one real linemen, than a bunch of scrubs who have spent the bulk of their time in the NFL on other teams IR lists, or practice squad.

8-time probowler, proven guy at a position we desperately need. Does this make sense to anyone else?

we desperately need centers? last I saw we have two starting centers on our O-line. but maybe I missed something.

plus, ya, he's 40 and we all know pro-bowl means nothing but popularity for the o-line, just ask good 'ol ruben brown....

It might make sense to different GM/Coaches around the NFL, but not our Buddy & his Chan Gang from GA. Tech. They are eager to do better with last years' mess of an OL. Chan's Gang will "coach 'em up", and throw the "Wanger" into the mix, from his "lofty" 4th round draft position. Same deal with the QB's from last year. Chan will "coach 'em up".

Older veterans with useful years still left need not apply to the Bills.

+1

This would be a rather expensive signing for a guy that has a couple of years left at best. It's no secret the Bills are not loading up for a 2010 Super Bowl run, but are attempting to build a team from the ground up that will be "competitive" this season, and a legitimate playoff threat within 2-3 years.

Signing Mawae under those circumstances makes no sense in light of the Nix/Gailey plan.

Hangartner right now is better than Mawae right now? Didn't look that way to me.

Why can't one of the best in the league come in for a year and teach Wood how to play? We don't have one decent, experienced O-lineman who can tutor this shaky group. Why should it be this way?

Dump Hangartner.

I've often times wondered this myself, as Mawae has dominated play since he was a Titan.

I can remember when he signed with the Jets, and had to manage Mt. Washington twice a season when he was with us.

While I agree that the C position is probably one of the few on a football team that can handle getting up there in age, he probably has at best, 1 complete season left in the tank to truly make a difference.

And I'm also at a point where I am more intrigued by our undrafted free agent offensive linemen that are being signed than any interior line free agents.

Great player, but is probably too close to the end of a career.

I'd pass.

+1

This would be a rather expensive signing for a guy that has a couple of years left at best. It's no secret the Bills are not loading up for a 2010 Super Bowl run, but are attempting to build a team from the ground up that will be "competitive" this season, and a legitimate playoff threat within 2-3 years.

Signing Mawae under those circumstances makes no sense in light of the Nix/Gailey plan.

Oh yeah...I always forget, fans should always be concerned, first and foremost, with how much money Ralph saves! :wallbash:

This is a sentiment I see way too often here...too many Bills fans have become more concerned with how the Bills bean counters perform, than how the team competes on the field...see the thread about "stubborn fans"! Who cares about how much money he costs, if it helps the team get better? The Bills are not close to the salary cap limit...

Oh yeah...I always forget, fans should always be concerned, first and foremost, with how much money Ralph saves! :wallbash:

This is a sentiment I see way too often here...too many Bills fans have become more concerned with how the Bills bean counters perform, than how the team competes on the field...see the thread about "stubborn fans"! Who cares about how much money he costs, if it helps the team get better? The Bills are not close to the salary cap limit...

There is no salary cap limit at the moment... but regardless there is a valid point. RW likely has a certain budget, whatever it is, and players who underperform their contract reduces the budget for better players.

If you're 40 years old, the only position on the field that's probably a fit is the punter.

Outside of Brett Farve, I can't recall any 40+ years old players starting besides the punter and the 71st resurrection of Junior Seau.

From the looks of things, Nix has no interest in patchworking a line, but building from scratch.

+1

I think these guys want to build with youth, even if it means a couple positions might not be as solid as they could be with available vets. Exhibit A: TO

GTFO if you think hes too old to do it anymore, he's only been blocking for Chris F**king Johnson for the past couple of seasons. he's blocked for so many backs that have had great careers. If its kevin mawae or geoff hangartner, the choice is almost too obvious. he's not going to be expensive and its going to be a short deal. we have over 20 mill of cap space.

GTFO if you think hes too old to do it anymore, he's only been blocking for Chris F**king Johnson for the past couple of seasons. he's blocked for so many backs that have had great careers. If its kevin mawae or geoff hangartner, the choice is almost too obvious. he's not going to be expensive and its going to be a short deal. we have over 20 mill of cap space.

Technically we have infinity dollars in cape space this year...

Technically we have infinity dollars in cape space this year...

yeah but realistically we shouldn't just throw money at people because we can. there has to be an uncapped year eventually