Brohm VS Meredith

I think it is because when they got to the NFL level one of them was a little further along in their development then then the other was at his position........

- I cannot say this for sure as there has not been anything in print that defines it but I get the feeling that Brohm came into the NFL a little immature........something about the whole situation just says to me "I was good in College so I will automatically be good in the Pros and have a sense of entitlement" then BAM......Brohm falls off the face of the earth....I LOVED this kid in college and thought he was a franchise QB but even franchise QB's have to continue to work on their game......

- Where as Meradith looked like he showed flashes of being a very good RT.....and I really think he is going to be OUR starting RT of the now and future. And Meradtith did it with a body of work against other NFL DL

Yes a QB rating is a great barometer of a young QB on a new team with 1 week of first team reps. Really he is on par with Edwards who had a 51 rating at MIA, then followed up with a stellar 52 at home against Cleveland.

It is when the player was cut by the team that drafted him and looked awful in the preseason.

There is an assumption that all teams treat their practice squad the same.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ...quad/index.html

I'd submit that perhaps Green Bay did not do a very good job in teaching and coaching Brohm and Meredith, who do have talent. I think it's tough to be Brohm or Meredith and go from practice squad on one team to starting on another in the same season and fans to expect them to execute the playbook to perfection.

This season will be the true test of what the Bills have in those guys.

I'd submit that perhaps Green Bay did not do a very good job in teaching and coaching Brohm and Meredith, who do have talent. I think it's tough to be Brohm or Meredith and go from practice squad on one team to starting on another in the same season and fans to expect them to execute the playbook to perfection.

:)

interesting article. maybe we should raid the Bengals practice squad! :)

I lived in Wisconsin for 5 years and my in-laws are all big Packer fans. My father-in-law told me last year how much depth they had and were going to have to make some difficult cuts. I wasn't suprised the Bills took two off their practice squad.

Brohm didn't show enough in the preseason games to make the roster. When he was drafted Rodgers had never started before so he was an insurance pick. He could blossom under Chan Gailey. The odds are more likley not, but it's such a low-risk high-reward type of signing I'm glad they took a chance on him.

Meridith is another guy like Bell. He's got a high upside if he puts it all together. Just like Bell he needed a redshirt-type of year. Unfortunately the desparate OT situation didn't allow for it. He still got a chance.

There is a very interesting thing going on amongst this board in regards to Brohm and Meredith. There are many posters on here who are just soooo hung up on how Brohm was claimed from the Packers PS and because of that it is evident he will never amount to anything. Then many of those same people turn around and show support for Meredith, who ironically travelled almost the identical path to get to the Bills.

Both are unproven, both have potential...however, Meredith doesnt get bashed nearly as much, in fact barely at all, for being claimed off the Packers PS while Brohm continuously does in heated posts.

So, why does Brohm provoke so much negative emotion from how he got here and not Meredith?

1. Both were highly rated coming out of college

2. Both slipped (Brohm to the 2nd and Meredith to the 5th)

3. Both didnt develop fast enough to hold onto a roster spot in GB

However, Meredith played a position where GB was greatly lacking in, the OL, and Brohm played a position where GB is top 5 in, QB. And lets be real here, the QB position is pretty much the consensus hardest position to play at the Pro level of just about any team sport and has the steepest learning curve. So, its really pretty normal for a young QB to struggle in his first year or two, especially when you are not getting many reps.

Yet, Meredith some how gets a much bigger pass on how he got here even though he couldnt make the active roster of a team who desperately needed help at his position. I just dont understand the reasoning.

I for one like that we have both young prospects who have great upside with little risk given how cheap we were able to get them. But for some reason, many posters on here insist Brohm is nothing more than a 3rd string QB because "he couldnt beat out a 7th rounder" while Meredith doesnt get that same criticism from many of them even though he couldnt make the active roster as even a reserve on a team that needed at lot of help on the OL.

Maybe they both fail, maybe they develop...who knows...but I just dont get the uneven reception of them getting a shot as they both offer a lot of upside at positions of great need on this team.

All this coming from a guy who said Brohm's college tape (from 2007, mind you) was more relevant than his pre-season ("it's just exhibition!") and regular season ("it was one game!") tape here in the pros. You'll excuse me if I don't quite regard your opinion so highly.

All this coming from a guy who said Brohm's college tape (from 2007, mind you) was more relevant than his pre-season ("it's just exhibition!") and regular season ("it was one game!") tape here in the pros. You'll excuse me if I don't quite regard your opinion so highly.

Huh? Did I miss someting? Either you have a skewed memory of what I have said and decided to try and quote me very inaccurately, or you simply are thinking of another poster.

What I have said that a ROOKIE QB's performance in his first preseason is about the dumbest thing to rely on as proof a QB can make it or break it in the NFL...and it goes both ways. Some succes in the preseason doesnt mean it will translate to consistency or the regular season.

Case example 1: Kolb did ok in his preseason games then went out in the regular season and was atrocious in every appearance going into the 2009 where he had 0 TD's and many turnovers.

Its pretty much the consensus most difficult position in team sports to succeed at when playing at the Pro level and has the steepest learning curve going from college to Pros...yet you seem to think his preseason tape in his rookie year where he hardly played is somehow the defining evidence of his ability.

I agree and would say that "those guys" can be applied to most of the team and not just Brohm and Meredith. Especially on the offensive side of the ball.

YE OLE has a very simple take on this: anyone who thinks that Brohm or Meredith can't make it big because they were on the Packers PS is a MAROON. However, that is not to say that either are guaranteed to turn into anything. The great thing about this situation for us is, there is no risk and all reward. We didn't give anything for these guys.

The thing YE OLE struggles with in regard to this issue is quite simply, how many Kurt Warner type stories do we have to see before we accept that players... even GREAT players DO slip through the cracks. Jason Peters went undrafted in '04 and then was cut and put on our practice squad... only later to develop into a pro bowl left tackle. Are there really those of us that are still making an argument that Brohm can't be good simply because he was relegated to the Packers practice squad? Bottom line is Meredith and Brohm have serious potential be good players. Get them in the right situation and they may flourish. There's just no way to tell yet... but to write them off based on this is ridiculous.

There is a very interesting thing going on amongst this board in regards to Brohm and Meredith. There are many posters on here who are just soooo hung up on how Brohm was claimed from the Packers PS and because of that it is evident he will never amount to anything. Then many of those same people turn around and show support for Meredith, who ironically travelled almost the identical path to get to the Bills.

Both are unproven, both have potential...however, Meredith doesnt get bashed nearly as much, in fact barely at all, for being claimed off the Packers PS while Brohm continuously does in heated posts.

So, why does Brohm provoke so much negative emotion from how he got here and not Meredith?

However, Meredith played a position where GB was greatly lacking in, the OL, and Brohm played a position where GB is top 5 in, QB. And lets be real here, the QB position is pretty much the consensus hardest position to play at the Pro level of just about any team sport and has the steepest learning curve. So, its really pretty normal for a young QB to struggle in his first year or two, especially when you are not getting many reps.

Yet, Meredith some how gets a much bigger pass on how he got here even though he couldnt make the active roster of a team who desperately needed help at his position. I just dont understand the reasoning.

I for one like that we have both young prospects who have great upside with little risk given how cheap we were able to get them. But for some reason, many posters on here insist Brohm is nothing more than a 3rd string QB because "he couldnt beat out a 7th rounder" while Meredith doesnt get that same criticism from many of them even though he couldnt make the active roster as even a reserve on a team that needed at lot of help on the OL.

Maybe they both fail, maybe they develop...who knows...but I just dont get the uneven reception of them getting a shot as they both offer a lot of upside at positions of great need on this team.

Not fer nuttin, but your avatar is killing me. I can't be on this site when the kids are up.

It must be that rather than the fact that he was cut by the team that drafted him in the second round and his putrid 43 QB rating.

I can't find 2009 pre-season stats, but did you know Brohm only threw 42 passes for GB in 2008 preseason? You'd think a #2 pick would warrant more than 100 passes before you cut him loose. It just seems weird that the Pack gave up so quickly on this guy. Who knows??

Not fer nuttin, but your avatar is killing me. I can't be on this site when the kids are up.

Fixed :wallbash:

Although, it was mild compared to many on here that it was just a bikini top...but I updated it none the less

Part of it might be that people like to see other people fall from the top while watching people rise from the bottom. It is fun to a lot of people to put down a guy who started at the top. Brohm was touted as the next Farve after Rodgers was failing. Meredith started at the bottom and now is working his way to the top.

I still do not think Brohm is the answer. Edwards, in my opinion is the better QB, but both have as many drawbacks. Of course, whoever starts will get my backing!

Part of it might be that people like to see other people fall from the top while watching people rise from the bottom. It is fun to a lot of people to put down a guy who started at the top. Brohm was touted as the next Farve after Rodgers was failing. Meredith started at the bottom and now is working his way to the top.

I still do not think Brohm is the answer. Edwards, in my opinion is the better QB, but both have as many drawbacks. Of course, whoever starts will get my backing!

Yeah, society seems to rally more for the underdog and pile on a fall from grace...

Although, if you think about it...aren't they both underdogs at this point?

You're right. They both suck (especially Brohm).