If Edwards is starting (*) then so is Marshawn.

DarthICE

Both lost their jobs to better people. In the QB case maybe not that much better, but Edwards rightfully lost his job.

so that means if Edwards is the automatic starter then so is marshawn.

(*) BTW I haven't heard nor read anything saying OBD Gives edwards this mysterious vote of confidence I have seen being slung around here. I have read where they are open to BROHM winning the job and I have heard and read where they plan on developing Brown.

Edwards lovers need to understand, your boy is done. Nix has seen how badly he sucks, he flat out said we need a guy with a strong arm which kitty doesn't have. Also, do you really expect Ralph, Russ and Nix to parade out a loser and try to sell tickets? No. Edwards time came and passed. He has had enough time for anyone with a brain to see he isn't the answer.

1. It is open competition.

2. Nothing is "done."

3. The starting QB has nothing to do with the starting RB

4. The Bills don't have to try and sell tickets. (its not Jacksonville, no one in Buffalo has **** else to do besides go to the game.)

I don't think Trent is a good QB or will be the starter but this is post is on the short list of stewpiderest posts ever.

Both lost their jobs to better people. In the QB case maybe not that much better, but Edwards rightfully lost his job.

(*) BTW I haven't heard nor read anything saying OBD Gives edwards this mysterious vote of confidence I have seen being slung around here. I have read where they are open to BROHM winning the job and I have heard and read where they plan on developing Brown.

Edwards lovers need to understand, your boy is done. Nix has seen how badly he sucks, he flat out said we need a guy with a strong arm which kitty doesn't have. Also, do you really expect Ralph, Russ and Nix to parade out a loser and try to sell tickets? No. Edwards time came and passed. He has had enough time for anyone with a brain to see he isn't the answer.

Tell us how you really feel bout Trent...LOL...But IMO he's the best QB we got Fitz is a good backup and brohm just sucks to be honest...if Trent would just throw to a receiver he would be fine...

4. The Bills don't have to try and sell tickets. (its not Jacksonville, no one in Buffalo has **** else to do besides go to the game.)

You know i was thinking the samething... *in willis mcgahee voice* what-else is there to do in Buffalo...lol ...

Is it really a shock to think that Marshawn and Jackson are going into the season as the number 1 and 2 backs? Both are 1,000 yard rushers and Jackson was the best player on the team in '09 by a mile.

Spiller is not going to start. He's not even an every down back. He'll play 60% of the offensive snaps. Maybe less.

2 words, READING COMPREHENSION. Work on it, open competition is what Nixley has been saying.

Gailey always does more with less at the QB position. He will have less to work with here that is for sure. We will see who fits his style best. I hope it is not PatrickFitzRyanRyanFitzPatrick. I would love to see TE recover but I do not believe it will be easy. Once fans get down on someone it is hard to overcome that. Brohm is an unknown, if he can get it together he has the arm and head for the game.

That being said, without a better solution at LT we will be severely limited by the OL. I'd like a vet to be brought in. I also hope they move Bell to the right side and he competes with and beats out Green and proves a more than adequate solution.

2. Nothing is "done."

I don't think Trent is a good QB or will be the starter but this is post is on the short list of stewpiderest posts ever.

Yeah, but unfortunately it is also how the Bills have seemed to make their personnel decisions--running through good players, and so never creating a foundation of players on which to build the team.

Trent Edwards had the following statistics in 2008:

-an 85.4 rating

-65.5% in pass completions

And even last year, he completed over 60% of his passes and had a rating of 73.9.

Edwards has not proved a failure to this point. He definitely should be able to compete for the starting job, which he will likely win.

"Throw the bums out!" I wonder how many of the people calling for Edwards' head are also almost begging the Bills to throw Lynch out as well. (Anyone have some time to research?)

Edwards and Lynch have the ability to evolve into high level starters. They may not. But enough of this nonsense, of calling for players' heads until they are booted out of town. I think we have two football guys in Gailey and Nix, finally, who won't be persuaded by irrational fans.

Thanks for clearing that up. I had no idea how you felt about the subject.

FWIW, it is going to be an open competition. I have no doubt that Chan will start whoever he thinks will help the Bills win. I obviously disagree with you about Edwards, but will live with whatever the new staff decides (presuming the decision is based on the merits and not based on placating the whingers on this board, elsewhere, and Jerry Sullivan - whose name is synonymous with whinger)

2. Nothing is "done."

Livitre + Wang = Wood.

Guest dog14787
Good thing he's "buds" with the mods, otherwise he would've been banned by now for crusading, as clearly outlined in the TOS.

We have a small handful of posters that are so dead set against Trent Edwards starting, its almost like half the posters here on TSW are against TE.

Ice is the icing on the cake.

Ice why don't you just admit you're a *patsies fan and get it over with. There is no way someone this stupid is a Bills fan. You're like Connor, pBrain, etc... just on the Bills side of the board.

Do you even know what a tight end is? and no it isn't your boyfriend ass.

Is it really a shock to think that Marshawn and Jackson are going into the season as the number 1 and 2 backs? Both are 1,000 yard rushers and Jackson was the best player on the team in '09 by a mile.

Spiller is not going to start. He's not even an every down back. He'll play 60% of the offensive snaps. Maybe less.

Jackson isn't a wart on Spillers assand if you dont' think the kid is going to end up starting, you are on crack

We have a small handful of posters that are so dead set against Trent Edwards starting, its almost like half the posters here on TSW are against TE.

Ice is the icing on the cake.

Edwards sucks ass so YES I am against him even being on the roster. It is a waste of time. he is a POS that never should have started one game in the NFL if not for that !@#$ up Jauron.

I think they both will be the starters opening day. Its just my thoughts. I could be wrong.

I see so two guys that lost their jobs with TWO different HC's are all of a sudden going to start? Over guys that have already beat them out? right....

Edwards may start, he may not. It IS open competition at this point. Gailey may be "leaning" towards Edwards since he technically is the incumbent starter, but I think Brohm has a pretty good shot at taking over. Fitzpatrick remains a back-up, if he makes the team now with Brown's presence, IMO.

On the contrary, I think Spiller will end up winning the starter job at some point this season and he can be an everydown back. You don't see Chris Johnson moving piles like talking about do you? He does enough and has decent hands. Spiller has better hands and the same skillset as a RB. They may not ride Spiller too hard this season because it will be his first and you have to pace your RB's now days, but to say he's not an "every down" back is just not true. It doesn't matter if Spiller can carry 3 or 4 people at a time like Lynch because he can just as well leave them looking stupid, holding their jock in their hands, while he still running towards the endzone. :flirt:

On the contrary, I think Spiller will end up winning the starter job at some point this season and he can be an everydown back. You don't see Chris Johnson moving piles like talking about do you? He does enough and has decent hands. Spiller has better hands and the same skillset as a RB. They may not ride Spiller too hard this season because it will be his first and you have to pace your RB's now days, but to say he's not an "every down" back is just not true. It doesn't matter if Spiller can carry 3 or 4 people at a time like Lynch because he can just as well leave them looking stupid, holding their jock in their hands, while he still running towards the endzone. :flirt:

We'll see, but it's rare to have a RB of his size be able to endure the pounding he will take with 350+ carries a season if he's the every down back. There have been very few NFL RBs who have endured that who are under 200 pounds like he is.

It has nothing to do with being a pounding back or a speed back, in the NFL you're going to take hits. And they add up over the course of a season. Which is why teams use 2 RBs. And now we have 3.

I'll stick to my percentages. He will only see 60% or less of the offensive snaps in 2010 unless Marshawn is dealt.

Wait, did we draft a QB #9?

DarthLice, You are starting to get very weird on us. How did you ever come to your peculiar conclusion about how the Edwards evaluation affects ML?

For the 1000th time the new coaching staff has made it abundantly clear (to everyone but you) that there is going to be an open competition for the qb starting position. Why would this new regime have any preference for any of the candidates for the position? Certainly, their desire is to have the prospective qbs earn the starting position. Why would it be any other way?

At this stage of Ralph's life he is lucky if he has an on time bowel movement. Who the starting qb is unimportant to him as long as his profit margin is at his acceptable level. Ralph's cognizant level is such that he believes that Jack Kemp is his franchise qb.

I think BOTH Trent and Marshawn deserve a fair chance at winning the job and keeping it. There is certainly enough carries for Jackson and Spiller, as well as receptions. Lynch was a 1st round pick, he lost his job due to injury. He had a lot going on. He is a very good running back and he proved that to us before. However, he has to get his stuff together and get into Buffalo to start training. He has the potential to be a Top-10 back in this league. He has to earn it and prove to his coaches, his teammates, us fans and everybody else that he can do it.

Same goes for Trent. He has suffered through a lot, was a 3rd round pick and deserves a shot at the job. He has to earn it and prove it, just like Lynch. He also has the potential and showed that to us before too.

With some new weapons, a stronger o-line, a stout defense...and an entirely new coaching staff...both these players should do well and this team should improve. Are they the long-term answers? Who knows...but what I do know, is they deserve the chance to prove to us that they are the solutions...and not the problems.

The ball is in their court.

(Hardy, Johnson, Parrish, Nelson, Schouman, Whitner, Youboty, Maybin....ALL OF THEM, have to step it up and earn the trust of this coaching staff. They are being given the opportunities...can they seize them or will they flop? Only time will tell and I trust the front office more than I have in a very long time. All the horrible teams are getting better...Cardinals, Lions, 49ers, Seahawks, Saints...they have all improved in recent years. I hope our new regime can help us do the same!)