Bills contacted Ravens about Gaither

Gaither has the Jason Peters look all over him. I'd pass if that was the case.

But they have to pick up a LT before opening day. Not only is Bell still not 100 percent physically, I don't think he is ready to play just yet.

They maybe waiting to see who is cut during training camp. Either way they better hope they find somebody or it will be last year all over again on the line.

Ravens would/should accept a third rounder in next years draft. Problem is Nix and Gailey avoid players with bad attitude re work ethic like the plague (unless they are already stuck with them-ML). The only team with a more dogmatic approach on attitude and locker room atmosphere is Denver. Gaither should wind up a cowboy.

no one else has been able to get it done either. what are you willing to give up for an OT with work ethic issues whose current team is trying to move him?

move up?!? is this an OPTIMISTIC post? or do you mean like, move up from #3 to #1? :thumbsup:

ok..i'll bite...what exactly are the work ethic issues with Gaither?

If Baltimore is still shopping the guy, Nix better take another good, hard look at Gaither. Now that the draft is over and done with, Nix can't possibly be satisfied with the guys he has playing LT heading into the new season. I, nor anyone else around here can possibly know what Baltimore is asking for when it comes to Gaither. It was long rumored to be a 2nd. But it seems to me that if a team is shopping a young and legit LT at that price, it is either a) a load of crap; or b) there's something very wrong with him.

I'm no GM, but if you have no LT and can get one who's shown he can play for a 2nd round pick, you do that deal. It would strengthen our team, address a need at the game's 2nd most important position and put a lot of Bills fans at ease about the upcoming season.

This would also allow us to use next year's 1st round pick to address QB or WR.

It is well known that Gaither is a talent who is also a slacker. His work habits and discipline level are below par. His college coach at Maryland made the comment that he would rather play a player who was less talented and gave maximum effort than play a more talented player who was lackadaisical.

The Bills need to develop their own players and stop hoping that players other teams are happy to get rid of would be different type players and people with a change of scenary.

he may not be the optimal choice but he plays left tackle pretty well and we could use someone who plays left tackle pretty well. He isn't skipping games or practices, is he? I had the impression he was hurt a good part of last year and came back to play left tackle well. We aren't going to get an all pro lt at this stage of the game. There really aren't any teams as dumb as the Bills to let one go easily.

The good thing is that he is really young and that might be intriguing to Nix who looks like he's building for the long term. If we start the year with Bell at LT, don't see how they're giving this team or the QB's a chance at all.

The Ravens also have a need at CB, which they didn't address in the draft. I wouldn't trade draft picks for Gaither. Draft picks are too important to a team like the Bills. How about McKelvin for Gaither?

I would give up a 2nd next year in a heart beat. Deff not a 1st. If he gets free agency we won't get him unless we extremely over pay because dallas will offer him a lot and we all know how free agents and coming to buffalo is.

Give up a second for a guy who, in your own words, we won't be able to sign? Unless he is willing to sign an extension with the Bills, then no way should they trade any high pick for him.

I'd give up a 2nd next year with no problems.

I'd even go so far as offer up a conditional 1st if the Bills make the playoffs.

I love it! I don't like trading away draft picks but would do that deal in a second. We add Gaither and if we can stay healthy, we will surprise next year

Give up a second for a guy who, in your own words, we won't be able to sign? Unless he is willing to sign an extension with the Bills, then no way should they trade any high pick for him.

Obviously. Agree to an extension and trade. There's a big difference in trying to sign him in free agency where teams won't have to give up picks, and they just have to pay him a big contract. A team like dallas wouldbe abe to offer him less and hell accept because its dallas, not buffalo.

I would give up a 2nd next year in a heart beat. Deff not a 1st. If he gets free agency we won't get him unless we extremely over pay because dallas will offer him a lot and we all know how free agents and coming to buffalo is.

ummm why can't we throw the franchise tag on him like every other team does with their good players

Best move they could make as I see it there are three big holes on the offense. WR QB and LT. Right now we aren't going to get a franchise QB post draft. WR we are going with the young guys. Right now Gaither is the only place were we could make a real improvement as far as our big three offensive needs.

Gaither is a nasty 6 foot 9 LT who could anchor our line for years. Gaither would be a great addition and worth a future second and mid round pick in order to obtain him. All in all by fixing our LT issue we make our new running backs better and put our QB's in a better position to have success.

There's no sense trading for a guy who is going to demand top dollar next year if he isn't worth it. And what's with offering up a young, talented, highly-touted corner in McKelvin for him? I don't understand some people.

Face it. We should have drafted Charles Brown in the second round. After digesting it for a few days, I'm not pleased with the fact that we ignored the offensive line the first four rounds when there was talent out there to be had. I sure hope this Ed Wang guy is up to the task.

You know, there are two ways to read this story. I personally like the one where you take out the guesses and pay attention only to the facts.

The facts are that the Bills sniffed around at Gaither and yet made no offer apparently.

The guesses are as to why. The guesses are that he is even available. All that is based on old stories about Gaither being available based on sportswriter's guesses that he might possibly be available. Everyone has treated this as fact when it's not even close.

The explanation that fits the facts that nobody has mentioned (because it's not sexy) is that the Bills "sniffed" by saying "Hey, is Gaither available?" and the Ravens said "Nope, not in a million years."

All you have to do to figure out whether Oher would actually make a good LT is look at the summary of his season here:

http://profootballfocus.com/by_player.php?...p;playerid=4946

Look at the game-by-game summary of Oher's season. He was one of the absolute best RIGHT tackles in the game and also one of the WORST LEFT tackles in the game. All in the same season.

The whole Gaither thing was based on rumors. At this point, idiots like Florio are hearing that teams may have sniffed about Gaither and nothing happened and taking that as confirmation that he's available, all based on the original stories which were very very clearly guesses by sportswriters on the Baltimore Sun. There's never been anything solider than his tender to say he's available.

I'd love to get Gaither. I'd also love to get Peyton Manning. Neither will happen.