We became a professional football team again the day we hired Nix

cwchze

I would agree if we hired Marty Schotenheimer as HC. Nix don't get me wrong with his draft and free agency tactics (Which I agree with except for the ignoring of the O-line but hey you can't get them all) has impressed me as a grounded football mind who knows how to build a team and draft.

HOWEVER the hiring of Gailey was a very uninspiring hire that said to me that Nix was part of the Good Ole Boys network of the NFL and made a hire based off of recommendations his friends who were trying to get their friend another chance.

Now you could make the case of the Gailey hire being one of best guy available as our job isn't one that gets top dibs in the NFL. HOWEVER that goes completely out the window when the reports of Marty Ball wanting the job surfaced that excuse of well who else was going to take the job went out the window. Also We could have had Marty Ball and Gailey as the OC so we could have had both.

Nix is a football mind a professional football mind but that hire at HC really botches him as being the savior at least in my eyes lets hope it turns out good for us.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOWEVER the hiring of Gailey was a very uninspiring hire that said to me that Nix was part of the Good Ole Boys network of the NFL and made a hire based off of recommendations his friends who were trying to get their friend another chance.

Nix is a football mind a professional football mind but that hire at HC really botches him as being the savior at least in my eyes lets hope it turns out good for us.

Actually, you are wrong. The Bills pursued Chan Gailey after being strongly endorsed by Bill Cowher himself.

And Marty actually clarified that he had no interest in the HC position of the Buffalo Bills (That was pure speculation on the part of ESPN).

Actually, you are wrong. The Bills pursued Chan Gailey after being strongly endorsed by Bill Cowher himself.

And Marty actually clarified that he had no interest in the HC position of the Buffalo Bills (That was pure speculation on the part of ESPN).

Still thought that the hire was mental. There were better guys out there and you could have still had Gailey as OC. To me Nix just went with what his boys told him.

Still thought that the hire was mental. There were better guys out there and you could have still had Gailey as OC. To me Nix just went with what his boys told him.

May be you are right....However, we really had only Leslie Frasier in the mix and he is a DC. The Bills really needed an Offensive minded coach and that probably tiled in Chan's favor.

I would agree if we hired Marty Schotenheimer as HC. Nix don't get me wrong with his draft and free agency tactics (Which I agree with except for the ignoring of the O-line but hey you can't get them all) has impressed me as a grounded football mind who knows how to build a team and draft.

Now you could make the case of the Gailey hire being one of best guy available as our job isn't one that gets top dibs in the NFL. HOWEVER that goes completely out the window when the reports of Marty Ball wanting the job surfaced that excuse of well who else was going to take the job went out the window. Also We could have had Marty Ball and Gailey as the OC so we could have had both.

Chan has presided over some great offenses(pittsburgh in 90's).When they were talking to Cowher,he was going to bring

chan with him to straighten out the offense.That is when I said if we dont get cowher, look for Chan.Believe me from the 90's with that explosive offense to the past decades offense of crap,We need Chan.Cant wait to see what he does with

Spiller..!

I've been a bills fan a longtime since mid to late 70's.Lived thru the

Super Years( we could win every game but one).

We became a halfassed organization when Ralph fired John Butler.of

course they(including buddy)went to SD, became buffalo west and you

know what happened.

We, on the other hand, hired the arrogant idiot Donahue, and equally arrogant ass

greggo"I dont like fat guys"Wiliams, watched a proud organization get run into the ground.

brought Marv back for stability because we became a laughingstock.watched him and realized

he was a good coach, but not a Gm.suffered thru the Jauron/tampa 3 crap."Its tough to win

in this league"geez what an idiot.

Now we are back to what we never should have let go.Buddy and Chan are Football men building

a football team, with excellent coaches and a frim belief of their philosophy.Teams used to

be scared to play in Buffalo,they will again.

Keep up the good work!No more undersized players.Thank God..!

:thumbsup: GO BILLS!

A couple of points to add about judging "football men":

I remember Wade Phillips' first draft; we didn't have a first, and he took Sam Cowart with the 2nd round pick. That told me he was about creating a tough, run and stop the run team. Fast forward to Jauron's first pick, while most of us were salivating when Ngata was available, he picks Whitner, which told me all I needed to know about his philosophy...ugh. Ngata goes on to become a Pro Bowl DT with Baltimore.

While most wanted to see an OT at #1, Spiller was too good to pass up relative to who was left at OT (and DT).

The next two picks sent the right message (in my mind). An interesting note as a way to judge Nix in a few years, much like judging Jauron, will we look back and wish we had the guy that Baltimore took (Troup vs Cody)?

my 2 cents

A couple of points to add about judging "football men":

I remember Wade Phillips' first draft; we didn't have a first, and he took Sam Cowart with the 2nd round pick. That told me he was about creating a tough, run and stop the run team. Fast forward to Jauron's first pick, while most of us were salivating when Ngata was available, he picks Whitner, which told me all I needed to know about his philosophy...ugh. Ngata goes on to become a Pro Bowl DT with Baltimore.

While most wanted to see an OT at #1, Spiller was too good to pass up relative to who was left at OT (and DT).

The next two picks sent the right message (in my mind). An interesting note as a way to judge Nix in a few years, much like judging Jauron, will we look back and wish we had the guy that Baltimore took (Troup vs Cody)?

my 2 cents

Dickhead Jauron's problem was that he belives in buildin a defense form the back in...not

from the line out.That is why he never has had success.He did build a strong defensive

backfield, but we were vulnerable to the run....typical jauron....did same thing in chicago.cold

weather teams need to stop the run,we are not in a dome!

It started last year when Nix came back and got to work on improving the scouting department. And he's promised to enlarge the department going forward (and as we're learning, if Buddy says it, he's going to do it).

In my eyes this is the best part of the new FO - talk is no longer cheap from the FO. No more of this, we're going to tell you one thing and then get too scared (or realize it wasn't well-thoughtout enough to do) and do another. These guys are at least making an earnest effort to make the team better and are sticking to their philosophy. It reeks of conviction.

HC's are only as good as their players. How GREAT was Belichek before he got to NE? Look at Lombardi's late career and the total nosedive of Jimmy Johnson. The good coaches put great players in the right positions and know enough to stay out of the way.

I'll never forget how sick I felt when Butler left. Thought Donahoe had a clue right up until he hired Mr. Air Horn (GW). They just got to cute on draft days doing things to get attention, but that didn't help the team. The Mike Williams fiasco, JP Losman trade, etc... I hope Buddy and Chan can make the Bills into a solid contender for years to come. Go Bills!

One big change: with Donahoe our drafts were regularly regarded as "shrewd" and given an "A grade". From my small sampling, it looks like people are giving Nix and Gailey pretty mediocre grades for this draft. Maybe that is a good thing. :thumbsup:

know what happened.

We, on the other hand, hired the arrogant idiot Donahue, and equally arrogant ass

greggo"I dont like fat guys"Wiliams, watched a proud organization get run into the ground.

brought Marv back for stability because we became a laughingstock.watched him and realized

he was a good coach, but not a Gm.suffered thru the Jauron/tampa 3 crap."Its tough to win

Now we are back to what we never should have let go.Buddy and Chan are Football men building

a football team, with excellent coaches and a frim belief of their philosophy.Teams used to

Finally someone else with a little optimism on the board. Excellent post and I agree whole heartedly. These guys will bring back the proud franchise that once was, and this week (at least I thought) was a good start to it.

know what happened.

I think we are watching a disaster in the making - remember 1985!

know what happened.

:flirt:

And Assistant GM Whaley will soon take over and continue to build a winner. I really like the hiring of this guy.

I think we are watching a disaster in the making - remember 1985!

There are two differences 25 years later:

1. The owner isn't in his mid-60s, but a nonagenarian 91.

2. Contrary to some homer fans, the Bills have not hired arguably the best personnel man in the past 25 years as their GM.

This is a 2-3 year rebuild and there's no guarantee they'll have that time, particularly with a strike looming after the 2010 NFL season.

Marty one and done Schotenheimer? Gailey didn't inspire you? Who are you and what good is inspiring you going to do for this team?