Jamon Meredith - Might be better than a lot of us think

I went back to the 2009 PFW Draft Preview to see what they had to say about JM. They pegged him as a LT with very good attributes to play the position. The knocks on him are he's a locker room lawyer (I still don't know what that means), has motivational problems, won't play through pain and lacks mental toughness. It sounds to me like someone needs to give him a swift kick in the ass.

They had him pegged as a 2nd to 3rd round talent. He was drafted at #162 by GB in the 5th round and was put on the practice squad.

If Gailey's staff can motivate him and get him in good condition, and the other players can make him start taking the game seriously and to be nasty on the field he could be a real find. The problem is that there is a lot to fix and he'll have to want to change.

I'm hoping the light turns on for him this offseason. If it does the LT spot may not be as dire as a lot of us believe.

Here's what TSN's War Room said about him last year;

Jamon Meredith

T, South Carolina

War Room analysis

Strengths: Is thick-bodied, with strength to dominate defenders once he gets hands on them. Has experience starting at left guard and both tackle spots. Bends his knees and sinks his hips to pass block with good leverage; when doing so, slides well laterally to handle pass-rush moves. When getting his hands on defensive linemen first in pass protection, extends his arms well to keep them pinned on the line. Seals and drives defensive linemen down the line on side blocks when playing aggressively.

Weaknesses: Does not play with intensity often. Usually blocks with poor technique. Is not a fire-off-the-snap in-line run blocker; is more of a stand, grab and hold blocker. Does not use his hands aggressively to punch defensive linemen; often allows pass rushers to get into his chest, and gets jolted and driven back by bull rushers. Stops his feet after making contact, falling off blocks. Lacks quick footwork and speed to pull and lead on outside runs, and struggles to adjust to block moving targets in the open field. Is terrible at cut blocking defensive linemen. Is not a quick-twitch athlete. Has been hampered by injuries this season.

Bottom line: Meredith is one of the more disappointing prospects our scouts evaluated this year. Although he came into the season with high grades from many scouting services, he's simply not that good of a player. Meredith had to miss the first season's two games because of a previous NCAA ruling about his eligibility. He later sat out a couple games with an ankle injury. He's best suited to play guard or right tackle in the NFL because he lacks the top athleticism for left tackle. But if he does not play with much greater passion on every snap and improve his technique, Meredith won't last long, regardless of where he lines up.

I hope somebody turns on the light for this kid.

This is from NFL.com

Jamon Meredith (OT)

Height: 6'5"

Weight: 304

College: South Carolina

Conference: SEC

Hometown: Simpsonville, SC

High School: Hillcrest

Combine Results:

40 Yard Dash : 5.03 seconds

Bench Press : 31.0 reps

Vertical Jump : 28.0 inches

Broad Jump : 105.0 inches

3 Cone Drill : 8.01 seconds

20 Yard Shuttle : 4.82 seconds

Featured Prospects

Selected by: Green Bay Packers

Round: 5

Pick (Overall): 26 (162)

Pick Analysis: The former Gamecock may emerge as one of the draft's biggest sleepers after landing with the Packers. Meredith has multi-positional flexibility and will add quality depth to their offensive-line rotation.

Overview

One of the smartest offensive linemen in the Southeastern Conference, the fifth-year senior boasted a 3.74 grade-point average, receiving the school's Harold White Award for his academic excellence in 2008. As a sophomore, he was named the university's recipient of the Andrew Sorensen Scholar-Athlete Award for Football.

Meredith started 38 games during his career at South Carolina and had a string of 28 consecutive starts snapped heading into the 2008 campaign. He lined up at both tackle positions prior to shifting to left guard as a senior. That move was brought about so that he could mentor Georgia Military Institute transfer, Jarriel King, at Meredith's familiar left tackle slot.

Meredith was a standout strong-side defensive end at Hillcrest High School, where he lettered three times under the guidance of head coach Wayne Garrick. He earned All-League honors as a senior and received a two-star prospect rating from Rivals.com.

Despite a banner senior prep season, Meredith was lightly recruited by the colleges. Former South Carolina offensive line coach Dave DeGuglielmo saw that Meredith had great athleticism when he recruited him at Hillcrest, the high school that produced former USC and current Carolina Panthers offensive lineman Travelle Wharton.

"He had that athletic ability like Wharton. He was long, he was lean and he was athletic," said DeGuglielmo, who is a coach with the Miami Dolphins. "He was low-key and had an even temperament -- and I liked that about him. I didn't want someone who was too excitable."

Meredith enrolled at South Carolina in 2004, spending most of the season acclimating to the right offensive tackle position on the scout team. He received his first collegiate game action in the seventh contest vs. Vanderbilt, but did not play the rest of the year.

In 2005, Meredith spent the first part of the season as a key reserve at both right and left tackle. He took over right tackle duties midway through the Arkansas clash, going on to start four games, including the Independence Bowl vs. Missouri. He finished the year with 34 knockdowns and six touchdown-resulting blocks, as the offense averaged 315.92 yards per game.

The following season, the Andrew Sorenson Scholar-Athlete Award winner started all 13 games. He started the first seven contests at right tackle and the final six on the left side, delivering 62 knockdowns for the campaign. He was named Southeastern Conference Offensive Lineman of the Week vs. Clemson, helping the Gamecocks improve their offense from a 100th-place ranking in 2005 to 20th in 2006 (395.0 yards per game).

As a junior, Meredith earned ESPN Academic All-District honors and was named his team's Outstanding Offensive Lineman. Starting all 12 games at left tackle, he made 75 knockdowns and twelve touchdown-resulting blocks. He allowed just three quarterback sacks on 443 pass plays and also recorded three solo tackles, along with recovering a fumble.

After sitting out the first two games of 2008, based on his agreement with the NCAA, Meredith returned to the lineup at left tackle vs. Georgia, but then spent the rest of the year at left guard. A right ankle sprain in fall camp affected his foot speed and balance, and was further compounded when he again injured it early in the Louisiana State game. He saw limited action the next two games, finishing with nine starts. He posted 48 knockdowns and five touchdown-resulting blocks, as both Meredith and USC struggled, with the offense ranking 97th nationally with an average of 316.54 yards per game.

High School

Attended Hillcrest (Simpsonville, S.C.) High School, playing three seasons as a strong-side defensive end for head coach Wayne Garrick...Earned All-League honors as a senior and received a two-star prospect rating from Rivals.com.

This is from the Packers Website;

Jamon Meredith | Tackle | South Carolina | 6'5" - 304 lbs.

Story: Meredith Brings More Competition To O-Line

OVERVIEW

Versatility is one of Meredith's best traits, along with his team-first work ethic. One of the smartest offensive linemen in the league, the fifth-year senior boasted a 3.74 grade point average, receiving the school's Harold White Award for his academic excellence last spring. As a sophomore, he was named the university's recipient of the Andrew Sorensen Scholar-Athlete Award for Football.

Meredith started 38 games during his career at South Carolina. During his time with the Gamecocks, he has lined up at both tackle positions prior to shifting to left guard as a senior. That move was brought about so that he could mentor Georgia Military Institute transfer, Jarriel King, as Meredith's familiar left tackle slot.

Meredith was a standout strong-side defensive end at Hillcrest High School, where he lettered three times under the guidance of head coach Wayne Garrick. He earned All-League honors as a senior and received a two-star prospect rating from Rivals.com.

Despite a banner senior prep season, Meredith was lightly recruited by the colleges. Former South Carolina offensive line coach Dave DeGuglielmo saw that Meredith had great athleticism when he recruited him at Hillcrest, the high school that produced former USC and current Carolina Panthers offensive lineman Travelle Wharton.

"He had that athletic ability like Wharton. He was long, he was lean and he was athletic," said DeGuglielmo, who is presently a coach with the Miami Dolphins. "He was low-key and had an even temperament - and i liked that about him," DeGuglielmo added. "i didn't want someone who was too excitable."

Meredith enrolled at South Carolina in 2004, spending most of the season acclimating to the right offensive tackle position on the scout team. He received his first collegiate game action in the seventh contest vs. Vanderbilt, but did not play the rest of the year.

In 2005, Meredith spent the first part of the season as a key reserve at both right and left tackle. He took over right tackle duties midway through the Arkansas clash, going on to start four games, including the Independence Bowl vs. Missouri. He finished the year with 34 knockdowns and six touchdown-resulting blocks, as the offense averaged 315.92 yards per game.

The following season, the Andrew Sorenson Scholar-Athlete Award winner started all 13 games. He started the first seven contests at right tackle and the final six on the left side, delivering 62 knockdowns for the campaign. He was named Southeastern Conference Offensive Lineman of the Week vs. Clemson, helping the Gamecocks improve their offense from a 100th-place ranking in 2005 to 20th in 2006 (395.0 ypg).

As a junior, Meredith earned ESPN Academic All-District honors and was named his team's Outstanding Offensive Lineman. Starting all 12 games at left tackle, he made 75 knockdowns and twelve touchdown-resulting blocks. He allowed just three quarterback sacks on 443 pass plays and also recorded three solo tackles, along with recovering a fumble.

Meredith started 2008 as a left tackle vs. Georgia, but then spent the rest of the year at left guard, finishing with nine starts. He posted 48 knockdowns and five touchdown-resulting blocks, as both Meredith and USC struggled, with the offense ranking 9th nationally with an average of 316.54 yards per game.

CAREER NOTES

Meredith started 38 games at South Carolina, including eight at right guard, eleven at right tackle and 19 at left tackle... In his final two seasons, the lineman delivered 123 knock-downs, 17 touchdown-resulting blocks and six down field blocks... During that span, he was penalized nine times (seven false starts, two holding calls)... Allowed seven quarterback pressures and seven sacks on 753 pass plays... Also recorded four solo tackles and recovered one fumble.

2008 SEASON

Recipient of the Harold White Grade Point Average Award (3.7 gpa)... Meredith started nine of the 11 games he appeared in... Was the team's starting left tackle in his first 2008 appearance, vs. Georgia, and then shifted to left guard for the balance of the schedule... Recorded 48 knockdowns with five touchdown-resulting blocks and two down field blocks, grading 80.0% for blocking consistency... Penalized twice and allowed four quarterback sacks and two pressures... Part of a front wall that saw the Gamecocks slip to 9ih in the nation in total offense (316.54 ypg), 96th in scoring (20.77 ppg), 11 ih in rushing (94.08 ypg) and 111th in sacks allowed (3.00 spg).

2007 SEASON

ESPN Academic All-District selection... Started all twelve games at left offensive tackle, collecting 75 knockdowns while leading the Gamecocks with twelve touchdown-resulting blocks... Added four down field blocks as he finished with an 81.42% grade for blocking consistency... Was part of an offense that finished third in the Southeastern Conference and 37th in the country in passing (258.17 ypg)... The ground attack struggled though, placing 101st in the nation with an average of 113.67 yards per game, as the front wall ranked 92nd in the country in sacks allowed (2.58 spg)... Also recorded three solo tackles, including one each vs. Mississippi State, Florida and Tennessee and recovered a fumble in the Georgia contest.

2006 SEASON

Presented the Andrew Sorensen Scholar-Athlete Award for Football... Started all 13 games, lining up at right tackle for the seven contests before taking over left tackle duties... Named the Southeastern Conference's Offensive Lineman of the Week vs. Clemson... Registered 62 knockdowns and eight touchdown-resulting blocks, as the Gamecocks ranked 19th in the nation in passing (250.69 ypg), 21st in pass efficiency (146.55 rating) and 20th in total offense (395.0 ypg).

2005 SEASON

Meredith played in every game, seeing action at both offensive tackle positions... Moved into the starting lineup at right tackle midway through the Arkansas clash, going on to start four late season games, including vs. Missouri in the Independence Bowl... Produced 34 knockdowns and six touchdown-resulting blocks, including eight knockdowns in his first career start, vs. Kentucky... Helped the team average 315.92 yards in total offense, 23.67 points and 220.75 yards passing per game.

2004 SEASON

Appeared briefly as a reserve offensive tackle in the team's seventh game of the season vs. Vanderbilt... Was granted a redshirt year by the NCAA.

CAMPUS AGILITY TESTS

5.11 in the 40-yard dash... 1.80 10-yard dash...2.95 20-yard dash.. .4.78 20-yard shuttle... 7.87 three-cone drill. ..28.5-inch vertical jump... 9'2" broad jump... Bench pressed 225 pounds 21 times... 33 1/8-inch arm length... 9 7/8-inch hands.

HIGH SCHOOL

Attended Hillcrest (Simpsonville, S.C.) High School, playing three seasons as a strong-side defensive end for head coach Wayne Garrick... Earned All-League honors as a senior and received a two-star prospect rating from Rivals.com.

PERSONAL

Graduated in May, 2008, with a degree in Sport and Entertainment Management, as he earned several academic honors by accumulating a 3.7 grade point average... Born James J. Meredith on 5/11/86... Resides in Simpsonville, South Carolina.

This is from SI.com;

BIOGRAPHY: Three-year starter used at both tackle spots as well as offensive guard. Suffered through his senior season with an ankle injury.

POSITIVES: Athletic tackle who plays with terrific fundamentals. Bends his knees, sets with a wide base, and blocks with terrific leverage. Keeps his feet moving throughout the action, and displays the ability to slide off the edge, covering a lot of area. Shows top footwork in space. Stays square, anchors in pass protection, and nicely adjusts the oncoming defenders. Extends his hands into opponents and keeps them away. Displays solid movement skills and effective blocking in motion. Quickly picks up blitzes and works well with teammates.

NEGATIVES: Must improve his blocking balance, as he's on the field too much. Does not consistently attack assignments. His passion for the game and toughness has been questioned by NFL scouts.

ANALYSIS: When he hits on all cylinders, Meredith is one of the better pass protectors in the draft. He comes off a poor senior campaign and will be selected much later than his talents warrant. Meredith offers a lot of upside, and he could very easily break into the starting lineup at the all-important left tackle position if he gets his game back on track and consistently plays on a high level.

PROJECTION: Second Round

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/...l#ixzz0m9BWtH1R

Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

So he's both athletic and not athletic, a sleeper and a disappointment, a guy who was lucky to make a practice squad and a guy who should've been in the regular rotation. I also notice that he played with injuries except for when he didn't play with injuries.

And that's why scouting is a science and by Saturday night you could give a final grade to every team's draft.

Watched Meredith a lot in college..he held up against some of the SEC's best DEs, he has great footwork and he is long (I believe the State Paper once said he had almost a 7 ft wing span) but he wasn't very strong (especially in the upper body) and was bull rushed a lot...when the Bills got him I thought it was a steal..if they can just add bulk and strength to his frame..since we fired our sorry*ss strength coach maybe there is a chance of that happening....

also..our OL will be better this year just because we have not one but 2 real strength coaches instead of one Richard Simmons wanna be running our strength program...

the knocks on him are he's a locker room lawyer (I still don't know what that means)

I think it means that he will start arguments over anything to prove a point or make it look like he isn't at fault. I have seen the term used mostly with basketball players so I am just guessing based on the context they have used it.

I went back to the 2009 PFW Draft Preview to see what they had to say about JM. They pegged him as a LT with very good attributes to play the position. The knocks on him are he's a locker room lawyer (I still don't know what that means), has motivational problems, won't play through pain and lacks mental toughness. It sounds to me like someone needs to give him a swift kick in the ass.

They had him pegged as a 2nd to 3rd round talent. He was drafted at #162 by GB in the 5th round and was put on the practice squad.

If Gailey's staff can motivate him and get him in good condition, and the other players can make him start taking the game seriously and to be nasty on the field he could be a real find. The problem is that there is a lot to fix and he'll have to want to change.

I'm hoping the light turns on for him this offseason. If it does the LT spot may not be as dire as a lot of us believe.

Time to move past what the scouts said about him two years ago because he has not lived up to it. He needs to perform as an NFL linemen. That includes motivation and training and wanting to a good player. It has to come from within.

From what I saw last year he has some skills but still not a top notch starter. I sure hope he can develop.

So he's both athletic and not athletic, a sleeper and a disappointment, a guy who was lucky to make a practice squad and a guy who should've been in the regular rotation. I also notice that he played with injuries except for when he didn't play with injuries.

And that's why scouting is a science and by Saturday night you could give a final grade to every team's draft.

I get about six scouting previews every year and do a lot of internet searches too, I know I'm a geek. Anyhoo, it always strikes me as funny how some guys can have completely different takes on some of these things. I've heard the term "long strider" used in a both positive and negative way.

The draft grades given immediately after the draft are based on how teams filled needs and the players they got to fill them. this why a lot of pundits are giving them low grades now. They didn't draft Clausen or Bulaga so they suck at drafting. :unsure:

Watched Meredith a lot in college..he held up against some of the SEC's best DEs, he has great footwork and he is long (I believe the State Paper once said he had almost a 7 ft wing span) but he wasn't very strong (especially in the upper body) and was bull rushed a lot...when the Bills got him I thought it was a steal..if they can just add bulk and strength to his frame..since we fired our sorry*ss strength coach maybe there is a chance of that happening....

also..our OL will be better this year just because we have not one but 2 real strength coaches instead of one Richard Simmons wanna be running our strength program...

:doh:

I'm not sure what he needs more. Conditioning or self motivation.

I think it means that he will start arguments over anything to prove a point or make it look like he isn't at fault. I have seen the term used mostly with basketball players so I am just guessing based on the context they have used it.

I think there may be more to it than that but I do think you're on the right road.

What people think he was before he was drafted doesn't matter. What matters is how he did as a pro. He wasn't that great. That's why he ended up on the practice squad. How many "2nd to 3rd round talents" end up on the practice squad? They don't. He may have been thought to be a 2nd to 3rd round talent, but what Jamon Meredith is is a 5th rounder who wasn't good enough for Green Bay to keep on the active roster and didn't play well for us last year when he had a chance.

Is Clausen a top ten talent just because some guys thought he might be taken there? Nope. I think Clausen might be a huge success, but he was picked in the mid-second, and that's how he should be referred to. Remember "1st or 2nd round talent" "how did we ever get him in the 4th" Ko Simpson? How did that turn out?

I understand the urge to desperately look for the silver lining. But it often leads you to fool yourself. He's an RT, and hasn't even shown himself to have the talent to be a starter there.

Time to move past what the scouts said about him two years one year ago because he has not lived up to it. He needs to perform as an NFL linemen. That includes motivation and training and wanting to a good player. It has to come from within.

From what I saw last year he has some skills but still not a top notch starter. I sure hope he can develop.

Fixed.

Whenever I hear that a professional athlete needs motivation my antennae go up. It's beyond ridiculous.

Unless Meredith shows in OTAs, training camp, pre-season, and every day he shows up at One Bills Drive that he is a professional and knows how to be one from a dedication standpoint, then I have NO qualms about cutting his unmotivated A** regardless of his potential. That potential will never be realized unless he and he himself decides he wants it.

We'll know soon enough how much he's dedicated himself to his off-season training regimen. If he hasn't adhered to it, he may not make it past training camp.

GO BILLS!!!

What people think he was before he was drafted doesn't matter. What matters is how he did as a pro. He wasn't that great. That's why he ended up on the practice squad. How many "2nd to 3rd round talents" end up on the practice squad? They don't. He may have been thought to be a 2nd to 3rd round talent, but what Jamon Meredith is is a 5th rounder who wasn't good enough for Green Bay to keep on the active roster and didn't play well for us last year when he had a chance.

Is Clausen a top ten talent just because some guys thought he might be taken there? Nope. I think Clausen might be a huge success, but he was picked in the mid-second, and that's how he should be referred to. Remember "1st or 2nd round talent" "how did we ever get him in the 4th" Ko Simpson? How did that turn out?

I understand the urge to desperately look for the silver lining. But it often leads you to fool yourself. He's an RT, and hasn't even shown himself to have the talent to be a starter there.

Only 64 players are drafted in the first and second round... Its possibly maybe 65 or more had the talent to be picked there

Whenever I hear that a professional athlete needs motivation my antennae go up. It's beyond ridiculous.

Unless Meredith shows in OTAs, training camp, pre-season, and every day he shows up at One Bills Drive that he is a professional and knows how to be one from a dedication standpoint, then I have NO qualms about cutting his unmotivated A** regardless of his potential. That potential will never be realized unless he and he himself decides he wants it.

We'll know soon enough how much he's dedicated himself to his off-season training regimen. If he hasn't adhered to it, he may not make it past training camp.

GO BILLS!!!

The fact that he's been at the voluntary OTA's is a good sign.