Round 6, Pick #178: DE/OLB Arthur Moats - James Madison

SDS

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so much for lafevour?

I was hoping the Bills would have taken LeFevour with this pick. I at this moment have to say this could be the worst draft in years for me. First they take Spiller, Area of need, huh. I would have been ok if they traded Lynch, but they did not. They have yet to take a QB. a good OT, Hell, I would have been happier if we took a DB than that last pick. We reached for Troup. We could have had so many better players than who we took. Campbell gets traded for peanuts. We suck. Now we know that Nix was in charge of last years draft taking Maybin. I am done.

I was hoping the Bills would have taken LeFevour with this pick. I at this moment have to say this could be the worst draft in years for me. First they take Spiller, Area of need, huh. I would have been ok if they traded Lynch, but they did not. They have yet to take a QB. a good OT, Hell, I would have been happier if we took a DB than that last pick. We reached for Troup. We could have had so many better players than who we took. Campbell gets traded for peanuts. We suck. Now we know that Nix was in charge of last years draft taking Maybin. I am done.

Are you people for real?!? Show some proof instead of coming up with a bunch of BS just because Buddy and co. didn't pick your guy.

Mike Mayock, NFL Network

Some of other non-Division IA kids are coming off the board now. Arthur Moats, a conversion prospect out of JMU, is athletic and explosive. He needs to get stronger, but he fits the Buffalo Bills' new 3-4 defense.

A DE conversion to LB is a gamble, but what the hell. It didn't work out so good for Corey Moore who flopped for the Bills a decade ago.

Dude, sixth round picks are supposed to be projects.

Arthur Moats

OLB, James Madison

War Room analysis

Strengths: Is well-built. Plays with intensity; is always around the ball. Consistently makes big plays, including tackles behind the line of scrimmage. Tight ends have difficulty blocking him one-on-one. Shows good instincts. Plays with natural leverage. Is good getting off blocks and making tackles all over the field. Has the bulk to take a consistent pounding.

Weaknesses: Is a 'tweener, a college defensive end who must move to outside linebacker. Must improve agility to be effective in in coverage. Lacks great lateral speed. Tackling technique must improve. Tends to use shoulder tackles, knocking targets down rather than wrapping up. Has limited range against the run.

Bottom line: Moats will be a solid small-school pick who could become a good linebacker if he can make the transition quickly. He is disruptive, a good pass rusher who be sound against the run. Coaches must focus on his open-field play. He also could become a rush end. Moats will be a solid mid-round selection and could develop into a starter.

Good pick! :lol:

Fwiw, I heard him on Sirius NFL Radio and Moats stated that there were 3-4 defenses interested in him as an ILB prospect.

Makes a lot of sense. Physically, he's built better for ILB than OLB. Usually you like your OLBs taller than 6'0.5":

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/...-for-model-olbs

But I've always liked the shorter ILBs. London Fletcher, Zach Thomas, Sam Mills - none of them particularly over 6', all of them great players. Going past the height thing, we can look at his vertical and short shuttle times, which are the two measurements that best predict pass-rush success:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/nfl-draft...ducing-sackseer

36.5" vertical and a 4.37 s short shuttle seems pretty solid, but unspectacular (the short shuttle looks below average, the vertical looks probably above average). I won't be disappointed if he's moved inside.

I love the fact that Moats was the I-AA DPOY. I feel like the best defensive player in I-AA in any given year is going to be able to make it in the NFL. Of course, sometimes the best player doesn't win the award, and it's not like I saw any I-AA games in any case, but still. I'd usually rather have the small school or I-AA cream of the crop than a BCS conference player who has ideal size, but stunk his whole career. In the late rounds, anyway.

Moats was clearly a notch or two above his competition athletically, which is a good sign. Definite special-teamer right now. Might be a legit player down the road. Or he might never make an NFL roster. That's the problem with these late picks.

Apparently will be moved to ILB:

And as for the move to inside linebacker, Roth believes while that might be his best fit he has the versatility as a pass rusher to play on the edge as well.

"Initially, I think he's going to be inside," said Roth. "Right off the bat he's going to be on coverage teams until he gets more familiar, you know, with the inside position. But he has pass rush ability too. He’s got all the tools to make it."

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3...59-aedc24bf4f9a