Drafting Wang drops WNY to a distant 2nd place

Having spent time throughout China the last few years, their infatuation with Yao Ming as a native son playing pro sports in the U.S. is unprecedented. Every game the Rockets play (when he's healthy) is on national TV!

I'll make a prediction today: Wang jerseys will be the most purchsed Bills garb in history before next season ends. -maybe before KO vs. the Fish!

Welcome new Bills fans!

Having spent time throughout China the last few years, their infatuation with Yao Ming as a native son playing pro sports in the U.S. is unprecedented. Every game the Rockets play (when he's healthy) is on national TV!

I'll make a prediction today: Wang jerseys will be the most purchsed Bills garb in history before next season ends. -maybe before KO vs. the Fish!

Welcome new Bills fans!

But... they'll be the Chinese knock-offs that we see someone here asking about every so often, about what you get for a $20-30 jersey.

Welcome new Bills fans!

Maybe, but let's slow down. Wang is a fifth round pick who isn't even guaranteed to make the team. Yao was the #1 overall pick in the NBA draft. Also, I believe that Wang was born in the US -- while Yao is a full-fledged Chinese citizen who lives there in the offseason.

Maybe, but let's slow down. Wang is a fifth round pick who isn't even guaranteed to make the team. Yao was the #1 overall pick in the NBA draft. Also, I believe that Wang was born in the US -- while Yao is a full-fledged Chinese citizen who lives there in the offseason.

True. But Wang's parents were Olympians. Dad was a high jumper, Mom a 110 m hurdler on the Track team. B/c he is the first Chinese (2nd generation) player in the NFL it WILL be a big deal in China.

The main issue is that most people in China don't know the difference between football and rugby. Besides, Yao Ming was already a household name before NBA while very very few people there know who Wang is.

A good comparison is Hines Ward. Before Steelers won superbowl, nobody in Korea cares about him or football. Only after Steelers won in superbowl XL, Ward's Korea heritage is a big news in Korea media and Ward become a super star there.

Welcome new Bills fans!

:thumbdown:

What a horrendous pick! I've never heard of him! We should've taken Pike, LeFevour, Bruce Campbell, Cam Thomas or a white receiver! In all seriousness, Gil Brandt said he could've snuck into the FIRST ROUND and most publications had him projected as a third rounder. Great pick.

Welcome new Bills fans!

Maybe the Bills could even play one game in China too! lol

True. But Wang's parents were Olympians. Dad was a high jumper, Mom a 110 m hurdler on the Track team. B/c he is the first Chinese (2nd generation) player in the NFL it WILL be a big deal in China.

You'd have to say he's got the pedigree to do well, if they can just get him to have a bit of a mean streak. Having Olympians are parents has helped some other pro athletes. Not saying he'll be as good as Ovechkin in hockey or Yao in basketball, but athleticism is in his blood. Now the Bills need to harness it.

It will be interesting to see if anyone in China will stand up and notice. Great PR move if nothing else, but I do think there's potential.