High School: Bunnell

Depth Chart details | roster

1. WR - M. Easley | 6-2, 219, Sr.

2. WR - M. Smith | 6-0, 192, So.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Easley is a very raw talent who struggled on the bench for three years before bursting on the scene during his senior year at UConn. He has a rare combination of size and straight-line speed and can make acrobatic catches. The problem is Easley does not appear to trust his hands and will not only drop some catchable passes but tends to let the ball get into his body to trap it rather than reach out to pluck it. He is a bit of a strider and will need a lot of work on getting in and out of his breaks. The nice thing is that he has a good chance to see some action on special teams. He was a core special-teams performer at UConn during his first three years as he tried to earn a scholarship."

This is where scouts make their money. None of us have heard of him. It's nice to have the name recognition of your pick and have a little media hype behind the pick. But I guess we'll just have to wait and see with this guy.

I can't argue with it. Its not like they don't need help at that position. Easley didn't produce until his senior year, but 6'3 210lb WRs who run a 4.39 don't grow on trees. Worth the risk in R4 for a WR-deficient team, IMO.

Marcus Easley #29

Easley, Marcus

Wide Receiver

Height: 6-foot-2

Weight: 219 pounds

Class Year: Sr

Experience: 2V

Hometown: Stratford, CT

High School: Bunnell

Depth Chart details | roster

1. WR - M. Easley | 6-2, 219, Sr.

2. WR - M. Smith | 6-0, 192, So.

04/02/2010 - PRO DAY RESULTS: When position coaches are dispatched to a pro day, it typically signifies a definite interest in a particular prospect. Remember that when it comes to Connecticut WR Marcus Easley (6-foot-2 3/4, 211 pounds). Included among the 20 team representatives on hand for UConn's pro day were the receivers coaches from the Jets and Ravens. That could be a good sign for Easley's draft stature, and he took advantage of the attention. He stood on most of his numbers from the NFL Scouting Combine, but posted an impressive 37 1/2-inch vertical jump and looked good in position drills. - Gil Brandt, NFL.c

What's strange about it?

He's just a guy that was on a pretty bad team that never really stood out. Apparently his combine performance had him looking pretty good, but he just didn't look all that great on the field.

I think there was some really good talent at other positions of need that could have been considered, but if they wanted a WR there were some guys that really showed more talent on the field available. There must be something Nix and/or Gailey like about Easley, I'm just no sure what it is. So for me, it's a strange pick.

Other than a 1 year starter at the Football power Uconn that would be there in Round 7... Nothing strange at all.

You mean the powerhouse UCONN team that beat the pretty damn good SEC team South Carolina in their bowl game this season right?

ESPN has STILL not announced the pick. We're at pick 112 and they're STILL talking about Bruce Campbell at 106. Their draft coverage is absolutely TERRIBLE.

It's the same deal every year. Once they get to the 4th round the talk is very random. The "name" picks or more popular teams get the time. Nothing new.

This is purely a size/speed pick at a position of need.

Certainly Easly's 7 career starts in the Big-East conference don't justify a 4th round pick, but 6'2 3/4" and 210lbs

with 4.42 speed generates interest.

Bills definitely need WR help, but this pick is all about potential not production.

What does this pick say about James "9 mm" Hardy and everyone's favorite, Steve Johnson?

It says the team isn't real high on either player to draft a guy in the 4th round.

Nor should they be. I'm not going to advocate that the Bills should cut them, but they've done absolutely nothing to this point to deserve the free pass that many seem to give them.

Jaws on ESPN loves Easly, showed highlights of him running by CB's at Pittsburgh and said he even separated from the Patriots first round pick McCourty.

Jaws loves him? In other news, my cat's breath smells like cat food.

Other than a 1 year starter at the Football power Uconn that would be there in Round 7... Nothing strange at all.

Only because you've never heard of him. Consider the possibility that your fotball knowledge is more limited that guys who do this for a living.

So now that the ESPN talking heads, especially Jaws, loves the Easley pick, are all those emotions leveled a bit?

"Waaa, I've never heard of that guy because I only watch half a dozen college games and read my favorite draft blogs...I want a guy with numbers from the draft....I want a guy with a name I've heard!..." Sound familiar? That's the voice in your head, isn't it?

Only because you've never heard of him. Consider the possibility that your fotball knowledge is more limited that guys who do this for a living.

And consider that there are busts in every round every year and that the people who do this for a living make mistakes too. I'm not sure I understand the desire to immediately trash ANY alternate opinions.

This was a good pick. On the second day, err, third day of the draft, all you want are prospects with high upside and Easley easily qualifies as such. He might bust but he might also be another TO; you can't get rich without taking risks. From that standpoint, this was probably a better pick than Troup in Round 2.

Only because you've never heard of him. Consider the possibility that your football knowledge is more limited that guys who do this for a living.

BLASPHEMER! :beer:

We actually did need to address the WR position. The guy has the physical traits but only started showing production in his senior year. CBS has him rated at the 13th best WR and NFL.com has him rated at 5.'something low'.

From what I'm reading I feel like it was a bit of a reach, but I can't complain with addressing another need.

NFL.com's pick analysis:

Pick Analysis: The Bills bypass an opportunity to pick up an offensive tackle or quarterback to nab Marcus Easley. The athletic pass catcher from Connecticut flashes big-play ability, and has the potential to develop into a solid third- or fourth-receiver. With the Bills slated to run a spread offense, the addition of Easley gives them another weapon in the passing game.

slated to run the spread? I thought we'll be running the wishbone

:beer:

He's just a guy that was on a pretty bad team that never really stood out. Apparently his combine performance had him looking pretty good, but he just didn't look all that great on the field.

I think there was some really good talent at other positions of need that could have been considered, but if they wanted a WR there were some guys that really showed more talent on the field available. There must be something Nix and/or Gailey like about Easley, I'm just no sure what it is. So for me, it's a strange pick.

pretty bad team? maybe you should look up some stats before thinking you know what you are talking about

Connecticut is a program on the rise the last few years and went 8-5 in the Big East this year

What does this pick say about James "9 mm" Hardy and everyone's favorite, Steve Johnson?

It says the team isn't real high on either player to draft a guy in the 4th round.

No, it says "If you guys want the job you are going to have to compete".