Official NBA Playoffs thread.....

Special K

Any comments on the 2-3-2 format?... I always felt that it negated the home court advantage. True, the Lakers have to do is win at home... But really that format is a series killer.

Of course I am rooting for the Lakers... Just some early sour grapes...

Really... Games 6 and 7 should not be on in the same arena! Never! I don't buy the travel BS... Come on, they can't afford one more travel date in the jet age and billions of dollars in business. Is basketball the only game that does it... Or do the others still do?

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I definitely think 2-3-2 is better for the team with homecourt. It's hard to hold serve for those middle 3 games - I don't think it's a coincidence the '04 Pistons are the only team that has legitimately done it when you exclude the Wade/Miami sham.

I definitely think 2-3-2 is better for the team with homecourt. It's hard to hold serve for those middle 3 games - I don't think it's a coincidence the '04 Pistons are the only team that has legitimately done it when you exclude the Wade/Miami sham.

It isn't about holding serve... It is about coming away with a game one or two win for the team WITHOUT home court/field/ice... Then picking up 2 at home. IMO, going up 3-2 is very critical even if the team has to pick up the final game on the road.

Is there any stats on this? Either prove me wrong or right... It just seems it takes a little edge off of home advantage.

It isn't about holding serve... It is about coming away with a game one or two win for the team WITHOUT home court/field/ice... Then picking up 2 at home. IMO, going up 3-2 is very critical even if the team has to pick up the final game on the road.

Is there any stats on this? Either prove me wrong or right... It just seems it takes a little edge off of home advantage.

Could be mistaken, but I think I heard, nine times, teams have been in the position the Celtics are right now...up 3-2 with two games on the road as their chance to win the series. Six times, of those nine, the team has won, but never in game 7. So, the odds are, if the Celtics win this series, they have to win Tuesday night...

Could be mistaken, but I think I heard, nine times, teams have been in the position the Celtics are right now...up 3-2 with two games on the road as their chance to win the series. Six times, of those nine, the team has won, but never in game 7. So, the odds are, if the Celtics win this series, they have to win Tuesday night...

Yah, 9 isn't much of a sample. Off the top of my head I know Jordan's Bulls were 2 of those teams vs. Phoenix and Utah.

On another note it's sort of impossible for a series to be interesting if the road team isn't up exactly 3-2 after 5, which is another reason 2-2-1-1-1 is better. This series would be finished if the Lakers won last night.

Does that point to an advantage in a 2-3-2 series if a team can break home court in the game one or two...??

Still no matter what... 7 games gotta be 2-2-1-1-1.

All you gotta do is break game one or two and your team is set... Doesn't really matter if you win all three on your home court... Just win 2 out of 3. Nerves may be at a factor for the home team in game one and then nerves in game one. To the Celts credit they did win game 2. What I am saying is game five is THEE most important game in s 7 game series and in a 2-3-2 that game should be played on the court of the team that has home advantage.

Even know the Celts took game two and the Lakers game three... Still momentum is going the Celts way because they are staring at two more games on the parquet.

To me it is so glaringly obvious... Yet, then again... I did say to me! :devil::w00t:

I agree......I think the Celtics have to win the next game or they lose the series

Does that point to an advantage in a 2-3-2 series if a team can break home court in the game one or two...??

Still no matter what... 7 games gotta be 2-2-1-1-1.

All you gotta do is break game one or two and your team is set... Doesn't really matter if you win all three on your home court... Just win 2 out of 3. Nerves may be at a factor for the home team in game one and then nerves in game one. To the Celts credit they did win game 2. What I am saying is game five is THEE most important game in s 7 game series and in a 2-3-2 that game should be played on the court of the team that has home advantage.

Even know the Celts took game two and the Lakers game three... Still momentum is going the Celts way because they are staring at two more games on the parquet.

To me it is so glaringly obvious... Yet, then again... I did say to me! :flirt::thumbsup:

Not really commenting on the 2-3-2 format good or bad (though I think 2-2-1-1-1 is better) just how it pertains to the Celitics chance of winning another title!!!! That's all that matters, to me...yet, then again...I did say to me :cry::lol:

This has been a fantastic finals so far. Yes, officiating has been questionable but it's not ruining the matchup for me.

So far we have some heroes

1.Pau and Kobe are playing like superstars. Gasol has improved his strength/conditioning dramatically and it shows. He should be getting more looks. Kobe is the best player in the league and I'm not sure it's very close.

2. Rajon Rondo is everywhere. He has actually carried the Celtics at times this postseason and he makes that team go.

3. Andrew Bynum is the x-factor in this series. His length and athletic ability seem to neutralize Garnett, Davis, and Perkins. The Celtics have a much better time attacking the basket when he's not healthy.

4. The Celtics bench is deep and good. At this point of the season, the bench is a major factor. IMO, the Celtics bench is way ahead of the Lakers.

...and some goats

1. Ron Artest and Lamar Odom are ineffective and timid. Do they know it's the finals? Artest shouldn't even look at the basket on offense.

2. Kendrick Perkins is a little overrated. They rave about his defense, but I think he is only slightly better than your average big body stiff.

3. Kevin Garnett looks like he is breaking down. He has had his moments but IMO his body is older than his age. I'm not sure he belongs in the goat category but he is running on fumes.

4. The officials. I like how Rasheed Wallace gets T'd up immediately after he gives a disgruntled look but Kobe can be seen flailing his arms and yelling mother *&%*#! virtually every game. One example of many bad calls that go both ways.

This has been a fantastic finals so far. Yes, officiating has been questionable but it's not ruining the matchup for me.

So far we have some heroes

1.Pau and Kobe are playing like superstars. Gasol has improved his strength/conditioning dramatically and it shows. He should be getting more looks. Kobe is the best player in the league and I'm not sure it's very close.

2. Rajon Rondo is everywhere. He has actually carried the Celtics at times this postseason and he makes that team go.

3. Andrew Bynum is the x-factor in this series. His length and athletic ability seem to neutralize Garnett, Davis, and Perkins. The Celtics have a much better time attacking the basket when he's not healthy.

4. The Celtics bench is deep and good. At this point of the season, the bench is a major factor. IMO, the Celtics bench is way ahead of the Lakers.

...and some goats

1. Ron Artest and Lamar Odom are ineffective and timid. Do they know it's the finals? Artest shouldn't even look at the basket on offense.

2. Kendrick Perkins is a little overrated. They rave about his defense, but I think he is only slightly better than your average big body stiff.

3. Kevin Garnett looks like he is breaking down. He has had his moments but IMO his body is older than his age. I'm not sure he belongs in the goat category but he is running on fumes.

4. The officials. I like how Rasheed Wallace gets T'd up immediately after he gives a disgruntled look but Kobe can be seen flailing his arms and yelling mother *&%*#! virtually every game. One example of many bad calls that go both ways.

RE: Kevin Garnett

KG played great this entire playoff run...but he seemed to hit a wall the first two games of this series. By game three, however, I think he returned to form. I know he is a bit older, and the short time between games likely hurts him, but, I think that knee of his is starting to get stronger. I think he still has another productive year or two in him.

Every single prediction I have heard for tonights game has said the Lakers win tonight...so, I am feeling better and better, the C's win #18 tonight!

I have to say... This is where 2-3-2 actually helps the Lakers... I am shocked that game 6 is a Lakers blowout.

So, what you are saying, it seems, is nothing is sure...you just have to win 4 games.

Ugly game for the Celtics...I know they will be better in game 7. All respect to the Lakers...there was no question, tonight, who the better team was. Losing Perkins hurts, body wise, but he was stinking up the court before the injury...the whole team looked very out of synch. Pierce, IMO, was trying too hard to draw fouls...it wasn't happening tonight...the refs put away the whistles, for the most part. In a strange way, I am actually glad the Celtics got embarrassed, rather than lose a close heartbreaker...I am hoping Celtic pride rears its' head in game 7...

Can't wait until Thursday!

So, what you are saying, it seems, is nothing is sure...you just have to win 4 games.

Ugly game for the Celtics...I know they will be better in game 7. All respect to the Lakers...there was no question, tonight, who the better team was. Losing Perkins hurts, body wise, but he was stinking up the court before the injury...the whole team looked very out of synch. Pierce, IMO, was trying too hard to draw fouls...it wasn't happening tonight...the refs put away the whistles, for the most part. In a strange way, I am actually glad the Celtics got embarrassed, rather than lose a close heartbreaker...I am hoping Celtic pride rears its' head in game 7...

Can't wait until Thursday!

Well Buff this is it......we are all in.....

Game 7 whod a thunk it....:rolleyes:

Yep! :rolleyes:

Really, when it comes to motivation... The away team really has it in a 2-3-2 format. I am shocked that BOS laid an egg.

It guess it was meant to be. 7 of 9 2-3-2 formats at game 6, the away team took it. No away team has won game 7.

IMO, look to see the Celtics take game 7 and break that trend. It has to happen sometime where the away team wins game 7. You should be happy with my prediction! :P

Ah... Crayonz... :rolleyes: He just had games 2 and 3... 5 and 6 switched up... We will see if game seven is switched too. :P

15 pages of arguing over something that has been scripted for a long long time. That doesn't even count the pages from last year's thread. I guess next year's thread will only add to the total.

The individual games were hard to predict as they were played mostly legitimately. Game 6 of course had to go to the Lakers.

I don't mean to be flippant though; I hope all the NBA fans here enjoy the extremely rare opportunity not only to watch a game 7, but a legitimate game 7 that ends a multi-year story line. They deserve that. I look forward to reading about all the x's and o's between now and Thursday because this time they matter. I guess I'll start them by saying that the Perkins injury cannot help the C's. It is too bad. I hope he can come back and play but from the highlights it sure doesn't look good. It is only one game though. Maybe Wallace and Baby can pick it up. It's not as if they are bad players. I don't know much about the bench guy that will get extra minutes. Maybe Buftex knows if he can produce with his extra minutes.

Good luck to all.

Coudn't ask for a better ending. The 2 most storied franchises playing a Game 7. The series has been an ebb & flow-er, culminating with a final showdown. Lots of storylines- Kobe's inevitable Jordan titles comparison, Zen-master's legacy and Boston's old guard summoning one more great effort.

I hope the game goes OT. 7+ games to figure it out.