Wills on game night

Mile High

Just has to pi$$ you off that it took MM so long to give Willis the playing time he deserved.  In a year where 1 friggin play would have made the difference in 3 games... :huh: .  Coulda, woulda, shoulda.  Damn!  Damn!  Damn!  MM has hit his stride, and the team has responded will to him, but they are paying for having a rookie HC.  That 0-4 start could have been averted.

137354[/snapback]

He may very well not have been ready to play - having never played a regular season NFL down, coming off a catastrophic injury, playing behind a former Pro Bowler, etc. But let's blame Mularkey for all that.

I was amazed at the difference when Travis came in for a few plays (Rams game, I think) and pretty much stepped aside for the blitzer! It was amazing how little effort T Henry put into that pass protection.

That is a HUGE deficiency in Travis' game.  Willis is very good at picking up blitzers, IMO.

137078[/snapback]

He talks about being patient, waiting for the play to develop, and then hitting the hole, but one thing I noticed yesterday was he seemed to do the same thing picking up the blitz. On a few occasions, the blitzing lineback came off his right side while he was to Bledsoe's left. Instead of chasing, he waited for the angle of the LB and then went after him. I don't recall Henry every being like that, though I've always been a Henry fan...and still am one today.

He may very well not have been ready to play - having never played a regular season NFL down, coming off a catastrophic injury, playing behind a former Pro Bowler, etc.  But let's blame Mularkey for all that.

137361[/snapback]

So you never thought that Willis should have been used more in weeks 1-4? Even after TH bumbled and stumbled repeatedly? Who makes the decision on who is used in short yardage? Not ready to play? Apparently you think he made a miraculous recovery or did some extra study work and it made all the difference? Call it blame, call it whatever you like. This team started 0-4 and WM saw the field in a very limited way. Yes, that was a mistake on MMs part IMO.

I heard that interview too... Man is it me or did Willis really seem as dumb as a fox of frogs?? Nice kid and all - but if ever there was a man who sounded like his bran was in his jock strap it's Willis.

Can a person say 'you know w'ahm sayin' any more times in the space of 3 minutes?

I heard that interview too... Man is it me or did Willis really seem as dumb as a fox of frogs?? Nice kid and all - but if ever there was a man who sounded like his bran was in his jock strap it's Willis.

Can a person say 'you know w'ahm sayin' any more times in the space of 3 minutes?

137483[/snapback]

Nick, ever hear Travis Henry talk ? That guy is 1 chromozone away from... Well ya know.... :lol:

So you never thought that Willis should have been used more in weeks 1-4?  Even after TH bumbled and stumbled repeatedly?  Who makes the decision on who is used in short yardage?  Not ready to play?  Apparently you think he made a miraculous recovery or did some extra study work and it made all the difference?  Call it blame, call it whatever you like.  This team started 0-4 and WM saw the field in a very limited way.  Yes, that was a mistake on MMs part IMO.

137408[/snapback]

He may not have been physically ready. I don't know that and neither do you. I don't know if he was mentally ready and neither do you. No one should ever be handed a job, they should EARN it. He has now but to say it was a mistake is playing the hindsight game and has little basis in reality. That's bull stevestojan.

Mularkey is a rookie coach but he's not stupid in the least. If I were him, I'd worry alot more how my decisions affect the players than the fan's mostly ignorance-based perception.

137483[/snapback]

Not trying to be PC here, but let's have some perspective please. Willis grew up in south Florida. Yes, they have the "southern drawl" and Willis also happens to be black last time I checked. So his syntax and delivery is a bit different than say, Peter Jennings. Fair enough. This, however is no measure of the man's intelligence. It is simply what he learned and was surrounded by his whole life. Willis seems far from stupid to me, though admittedly the football field is not a demonstration of intelligence. But I don't see him making many mental mistakes out there. NFL players come from all areas of the country and don't necessarily speak in the same way or have the same mannerisms that are found in the areas their teams play in. Lets not jump to any conclusions. B) OBTW-I'll assume that you're smarter than a box of frogs and meant "brain" not bran.

137483[/snapback]

I heard that.. The Rome show callers are now referring to him

as "Willis McShakespeare" .

Who would you compare him to?  Current or past player.  I think he's a little of everyone.  He's just really unique the way he runs..

137005[/snapback]

Jamal Lewis the year after his ACL.

Did anyone catch the block Willis made on a blitz pick-up in the second quarter? It was on a play where Drew threw an interception, so it went overlooked. But he leveled one of the Seahawks. A thing of beauty.

137338[/snapback]

His ability to block in the passing game is one of the biggest differences now that he is starting.

Travis never could/would block.

The thing is with Willis I try to look around the league and compare his running stlye to other backs and I just can't find one who is exactly like him.  He is VERY patient with things waiting to develop and has a great stiff arm and the power to run over defenders but at the same time he can juke a little and has great lateral movement.  But that speed burst isn't quite there yet.  Not like it was in Miami at least.  It will be next year I'm sure.

Who would you compare him to?  Current or past player.  I think he's a little of everyone.  He's just really unique the way he runs..

137005[/snapback]

Edgerrin James, only stronger than the Edge.

137005[/snapback]

OJ

Before the knife and gloves?

As much as I agree with this praise of McGahee, it's possible Mularkey made the right decision by starting the year off with Travis as the starter. As a rookie HC, Mularkey had to earn his players' respect. You don't do that by handing a job to a first year player over a proven veteran. Since then, McGahee has clearly earned the starting job.

Considering the "current" Willis McGahee will mostly likely run for 1500 yards in a 16 game season I dont this "current" guy.

137011[/snapback]

how old are you? or is this some kind of slang.............

If you think that Willis is dumb, think about this.

He was smart enough to buy a $2.5 million insurance policy BEFORE the BCS National Championship game in which he got hurt.

Pretty smart move on his part.

139364[/snapback]

Ya, I'm sure that was completely his idea. :doh: