I'm sold on who the Bills Draft at #9

You have to ask where are we best served. With a top 10 Quarterback and a top 20-25 Left Tackle, OR a top 10 LT and a top 20-25 QB. I'll go with top 10 QB. That guy on his own can squeak out an extra win or two a year. To do it right we'll sit Clausen for a half year, then let him get his reps behind a O line that's starting to jell with that rookie top 20-25 LT. Yup we'll suck next year too. But then we'll get a top 15 pick and focus on the defense. Then we'll in the mix for a playoff spot.

That said, I just want a draft where I don't yell, " What the ....... " and feel the need to throw things at the TV and then have to take a angry nap. If they draft a RB or DB, I'll need to go TV shopping again, probably in my pajamas.

Not sold on Clausen but I agree with your philosophy. clausen and say a Dusasse from UMASS or Brown fron USC sounds better to me than Bulaga and ???? Tebow. But either way would be interesting for a change around here.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well look at what Parcells did two years ago. He took Long over Ryan cause the smart ones know if you can't keep your QB upright then it doesn't matter who is back there.

And the Falcons had 2 winning seasons and a playoff appearance..AND they know who their QB will be for 10 years. "It doesn't MATTER"??!!.

C'mon....

<--------------

I previously wanted the Bills to draft O line and LT with that #9, have since changed my mind.

Finally got some time to watch the NFL network "Path to the Draft" on Jimmy Clausens pro day.

Mike Mayock-Michael Lombardi- Bucky Brooks-Charles Davis all stated the kid is a top ten pick and has every ability needed to be a starting QB in the NFL.

Mike Mayock- stated the kid has phenomenal accuracy and deep touch. This with his foot at 85% as he is still recovering from an injury.

Michael Lombardi- stated-his work out was "exceptional", he looked better then Mark Sanchez did last year in his workout.

Charles Davis- stated considering he played all year on a bad foot and still put up very good numbers, very tough kid! Still doing his pro day workout with a foot at 85%.

Charlie Casserly Good workout with a lot of deep throws and very good ball speed. Better ball speed the Sam Bradford. Also stated although Chan Gailey wasn't in attendance for his pro day, Buddy Nix was.

Buckey Brooks- stated his talent is amazing, can make all the throws, good footwork.

Casserly-(Bradford or Clausen) Played in a "pro style" passing offense and called protections at the line, much more under center and called audibles. Better ball spin then Sam Bradford. 5 career 4th QTR comebacks at ND. The team was ranked over 100 when he got to ND and put them in the top ten.

Last seasons numbers 68.0 comp %, 3,722 YDS, 28 TD,4 INT

All these analysts did was rave about how well his pro day went

Lets face it, like him ...or hate him... he is a franchise QB and the Bills should draft him if he is there.

The kid is supposed to have an attitude and be "cocky". I say good... he will need that attitude if he comes to Buffalo

**** Just FYI, Path to the Draft on Monday the 12th, they will put the Bills on the clock and discuss the teams needs****

Rookie LTs come in and perform at a PB level at a much much much higher rate than a rookie QB. Clausen could sit on the bench ala Carson Palmer and we could get a LT next year - which means a wining team sooner. We could get a Charles Brown/Tony Washinton in this draft AND Clausen at 9 too. (my best case scenario)

If he is there he has to be the pick. The only Ts worth taking over him are Okung and maybe Bulaga - both of whom have a higher chance of being picked before 9 than Clausen does.

This is almost as big of a no brainer as Ngata>Whitner and Orakpo>Maybin. Lets hope we have some brain power behind this pick.

Rookie LTs come in and perform at a PB level at a much much much higher rate than a rookie QB. Clausen could sit on the bench ala Carson Palmer and we could get a LT next year. Or we could get a Charles Brown/Tony Washinton in this draft AND Clausen at 9.

If he is there he has to be the pick. The only Ts worth taking over him are Okung and maybe Bulaga - both of whom have a higher chance of being picked before 9 than Clausen does.

This is almost as big of a no brainer as Ngata>Whitner and Orakpo>Maybin. Lets hope we have some brain power behind this pick.

dude, dont you know a tackle is waaaay harder to find than a franchise QB, duh, it's like sooooo obvious we should def. take a lineman over a qb, maybe a punter too, moormans getting up there in age....hmmmmm

If Okung and Bulaga are both off the board and Clausen is there that's a no brainer. I agree that no QB can succeed behind the swiss cheese line of the Bills, but if you lock up your QB and either take OTs in 2 of the next 3 rds, or trade back up into the first round and take a tackle there, all of a sudden the two yr plan becomes a 1 yr plan.

If Okung and Bulaga are both off the board and Clausen is there that's a no brainer. I agree that no QB can succeed behind the swiss cheese line of the Bills, but if you lock up your QB and either take OTs in 2 of the next 3 rds, or trade back up into the first round and take a tackle there, all of a sudden the two yr plan becomes a 1 yr plan.

If you have a chance to draft a potential probowl OT or a potential probowl QB and you need both, then you go for the QB. The OT talent in every draft is always much deeper than the QB pool. I agree with your assessment but if it came down to Bulaga or Clausen I would go for Clausen in a heartbeat.

It seems to me that the questions about Clausen aren't about his mechanics or his knowledge of the game, it's about his intangibles. Can he play well with others? Cocky is good for a QB but too cocky is not. The 2011 draft is supposed to be QB rich and I say give TE one more chance and then draft a QB in 2011 or pick up a project with high upside (Dan LeFevour) in this draft. If TE fails and the new kid looks like he needs a lot of time then take a QB next year and use the 2010 draft pick for development and a possible trade later. JMO

Bull ****. He's the Quarterback and Leader of the squad.

I only hope we get a QB that will get right in the grill of players that quit on plays, drop passes or jitterbug East and West instead of giving it their all to move the chains. If there are malcontents on the squad - squeeze them out like a John Belushi zit.

This is the correct answer. I've come around to Claussen and if he's there you take him - that is Plan A. Plan B is Claussen's gone, then in that scenario you build the lines.

I thought Claussen was supposed to be in Buffalo yesterday, has anyone heard how that went? Of course, that would take some actual reporting.

I'm with you on this one, go for Clausen if available at 9. As for trading back up in the first, if I was the Bills i would try hard to do so. Trade our 2nd pick with Lynch to a team looking for a RB for their 1st pick, throw in a 2011 late round pick if needed, pick the best available OT or NT with that 1st round pick. Look at Seattle they have two 1st round pick and they are looking for a RB, who knows what value Lynch has on the market, his 2 first seasons over 1000yds and a 4+avg per carry is pretty solid, we'll see come draft day, so many possible scenarios...

It seems to me that the questions about Clausen aren't about his mechanics or his knowledge of the game, it's about his intangibles. Can he play well with others? Cocky is good for a QB but too cocky is not. The 2011 draft is supposed to be QB rich and I say give TE one more chance and then draft a QB in 2011 or pick up a project with high upside (Dan LeFevour) in this draft. If TE fails and the new kid looks like he needs a lot of time then take a QB next year and use the 2010 draft pick for development and a possible trade later. JMO

The problem is you don't know your position in NEXT years draft. Clausen is generally regarded as the second (in some cases the first) rated QB in THIS years draft. I think we're lucky. He could fall to us at #9 as Washington, Seattle and Cleveland all made relatively expensive cap moves to bolster their QB position. I don't think those moves pay off in the long run. For next years draft, add Oakland in the mix as another team in need of their next franchise QB.

Now, for next years draft class, are we SURE the top QBs will continue to progress? In any case, suppose they do. Are we sure that we will have a top three pick to get our franchise QB? God I hope not.

Clausen is no sure thing. But if he's there at 9, it's worth the risk.

Lets face it, like him ...or hate him... he is a franchise QB and the Bills should draft him if he is there.

Every prospect's a star when you have 60 minutes of airtime to fill and ad revenue to sell. It's all Hollywood now...

Off the air, it's a bit different:

"There is plenty of uncertainty attached to the quarterbacks in this year's NFL draft.

Oklahoma's Sam Bradford and Notre Dame's Jimmy Clausen are the only locks to be first-round picks, but there is no guarantee they'll become franchise players. There are no slam-dunk superstars among the other prospects, either.

"I think it's a bad year for quarterbacks," said NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock. "There are more questions than answers in the quarterback class."

Yes, because every great team gets there offensive line in order before finding a QB. It's so easy to find a franchise QB, so lets just wait for the next opportunity as they are always going to be there. Wow!

Wow to you. The bills have been neglecting their line for 10 years and getting one "franchise qb" after another. That has worked out great.

Yes, because every great team gets there offensive line in order before finding a QB. It's so easy to find a franchise QB, so lets just wait for the next opportunity as they are always going to be there. Wow!

I hate this left tackle crap. Get a left tackle next year. Top ten pick if your QB is there take him. They will suck this year anyways. Get someones feet wet now. Let's look at a 2 year plan. 4year plans don't work in the NFL anymore.

I previously wanted the Bills to draft O line and LT with that #9, have since changed my mind.

Finally got some time to watch the NFL network "Path to the Draft" on Jimmy Clausens pro day.

Mike Mayock-Michael Lombardi- Bucky Brooks-Charles Davis all stated the kid is a top ten pick and has every ability needed to be a starting QB in the NFL.

Mike Mayock- stated the kid has phenomenal accuracy and deep touch. This with his foot at 85% as he is still recovering from an injury.

Michael Lombardi- stated-his work out was "exceptional", he looked better then Mark Sanchez did last year in his workout.

Charles Davis- stated considering he played all year on a bad foot and still put up very good numbers, very tough kid! Still doing his pro day workout with a foot at 85%.

Charlie Casserly Good workout with a lot of deep throws and very good ball speed. Better ball speed the Sam Bradford. Also stated although Chan Gailey wasn't in attendance for his pro day, Buddy Nix was.

Buckey Brooks- stated his talent is amazing, can make all the throws, good footwork.

Casserly-(Bradford or Clausen) Played in a "pro style" passing offense and called protections at the line, much more under center and called audibles. Better ball spin then Sam Bradford. 5 career 4th QTR comebacks at ND. The team was ranked over 100 when he got to ND and put them in the top ten.

Last seasons numbers 68.0 comp %, 3,722 YDS, 28 TD,4 INT

The kid is supposed to have an attitude and be "cocky". I say good... he will need that attitude if he comes to Buffalo

**** Just FYI, Path to the Draft on Monday the 12th, they will put the Bills on the clock and discuss the teams needs****

I personally think we should go OT at #9 for reasons that I am sure everyone on this forum is familiar with. However, realistically, I see the draft playing out this way:

1) Bradford

2) Suh

3) McCoy

4) Okung

After that it's a guess. But it seems likely the drafting of Okung will start the run on OTs meaning Bulaga and Williams will be gone by #9 (an idea that isn't new).

Therefore, IF Clausen is available, I don't see how Nix/Gailey and Co. can pass on him...if they did for who??? Not Davis or any other OT IMO. Not someone in the secondary. Dan Williams is a reach at #9. I would rather see Clausen compete with the 3 QBs on the roster and have Kyle "Heart" Williams man the NT position than Dan "Rookie" Williams at NT and the QB position up for grabs once again...

Yet Mayock has been effusive in his praise of Clausen.

Effusive?

The questions I have: Is he a leader of men, or, over a period of time, is he going to wear on people? Or is he going to take a step up to the next level and lead somebody to a Super Bowl? Therein lies the whole thing. I buy into the skill set. Now you have to buy into the kid.

Lurker, isn't it more likely that the above quote from Mayock is his way of saying that the QB class as a whole, is not that great?

I'm guessing that Mayock meant that guys like Tebow, McCoy, Pike, Lefevour, Crompton, Skelton, Brown and Brown, Snead, etc. are the question marks and that Bradford and Clausen are the only first round quarterbacks.

Maybe, but isn't that's the case every year?

2-3 first rounders, lunch pail guys thereafter...

I hope that the Bills go with OT all #9 instead of QB. IMO we need to start rebuilding in the trenches.

Good thing you weren't the GM when:

Indy selected: Peyton Manning

N. Eng selected: Tom Brady

Buffalo selected: Jim Kelly

Pittsburgh selected: Rothlesberger

San Fran. selected: Joe Montana

Now tell me just as quickly who were these teams OLT's.....woops, not quick enough! Would any of them have their

SuperBowl rings or AFC Championships with a Trent Edwards, Fitzy, or Brohm? We both know the answer to this question

and that is the reason you go for the QB!!!!!!!!!! You may have heard of the Tarkentons, Namaths, Youngs, and those Franchises were built around the QB!! Favre's etc...on and on.... Yes, OT'S are very important! but you can have a good offense with a marginal OLT ie: Blesdoes Bills the one year gave up 57 Sacks...about 10 more than last year yet was the 11th best offense in the NFL. 4,000+ yards passing...big time wr numbers and rb numbers...If the situation was reverse

and that team had J. Peters and T. Edwards the production would have been far less!!!! This is all true and would be difficult to dispute!!! Get a QB!!!!!!!!! B-)