Bills open to Brohm starting

bfw1234

Brian Brohm: Bills open to Brohm winning starting QB job

Brian Brohm - QB - BUF - Apr. 9 - 5:10 pm et

According to ESPN's Chris Mortensen, the Bills are "very open" to Brian Brohm entering Week 1 as their starting quarterback.

Mort previously hinted on ESPN that the new Bills regime is ready to wash its hands of Trent Edwards. Brohm threw for just 146 yards and two picks on 29 pass attempts in his lone start last season. Otherwise, the former second-round pick has been unable to get on the field entering his third year. Apr. 9 - 5:10 pm et

Source: Chris Mortensen on Twitter

BROHM!! now solidify the line and get a 2nd WR - open it up for him and he'll light it up

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to ESPN's Chris Mortensen, the Bills are "very open" to Brian Brohm entering Week 1 as their starting quarterback.

Mort previously hinted on ESPN that the new Bills regime is ready to wash its hands of Trent Edwards. Brohm threw for just 146 yards and two picks on 29 pass attempts in his lone start last season. Otherwise, the former second-round pick has been unable to get on the field entering his third year. Apr. 9 - 5:10 pm et

BROHM!! now solidify the line and get a 2nd WR - open it up for him and he'll light it up

I guess they have written off this year, the guy flat sucks. I am praying this is nothing but pre draft posturing to get teams to think they dont' want a QB they are really after.

Otherwise this team is playing for the 1st overall pick next year.

Why are you posting that gay assed video? The guy was good, not great, in College and sucks ass in the pros. Why dont' you put up him getting his ass kicked in Green bay's camp and beat out for the THIRD string job? How about that ZERO TD TWO Int job he did against the falcons?

I guess they have written off this year, the guy flat sucks. I am praying this is nothing but pre draft posturing to get teams to think they dont' want a QB they are really after.

HAHA! Are you saying he sucks based on his lone start last year? Im one of the few who think he did tremendous in that game considering the circumstances. The first pick he threw was Owens fault for not swatting it. The second pick he had stared his reciever down and the cornerback just made one hell of an amazing diving pick. But he played realy well considering the lack of preperation he had. Id love for him to be the starter.

Why are you posting that gay assed video? The guy was good, not great, in College and sucks ass in the pros. Why dont' you put up him getting his ass kicked in Green bay's camp and beat out for the THIRD string job? How about that ZERO TD TWO Int job he did against the falcons?

Just so we know, who is it that your rootin for to be our starter? Mike Vick? Some other lame excuse for a human being?

HAHA! Are you saying he sucks based on his lone start last year? Im one of the few who think he did tremendous in that game considering the circumstances. The first pick he threw was Owens fault for not swatting it. The second pick he had stared his reciever down and the cornerback just made one hell of an amazing diving pick. But he played realy well considering the lack of preperation he had. Id love for him to be the starter.

Im saying he sucks ass because ONLY the RUSS BRANDON led bills wanted the worthless !@#$. HE can't even become a 3rd stringer on any other team in the NFL, No one else wanted him.

the guy sucks, only Bills fans want a !@#$ing loser to start for them, and we wonder why this team sucks so badly?

Even with Brohm or Fitzpatrick or Edwards starting they are not playing for the first pick next year. The team is not nearly that bad. Heck we used to start JP Losman for years and we never got into the bottom five in the league. Our team is pretty good even with the QBs we have. With less injuries last year and less incredible stupidness (McKelvin in week one) and horrible coaching, we would easily have been 8-8 or 9-7 last year. That doesn't mean we shouldn't try to upgrade QB, and I think they will still try to do that. But I have confidence that Chan will find a way to make this offense work this year.

First of all, the article didn't say it's his job. Secondly, have you seen the other two choices on this team? It's hard for me to put any stock in a guy who was let go only a year after being selected in the 2nd round. And please save the waiver BS, nobody wanted him and the Pack washed their hands of him.

Draft Clausen if he's there PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And you are of course basing your opinion on your expert scouting skills. This guy was a stud in both high school and college and I believe he could be in the pros as well. Thus far, he has started exactly one game, so there clearly is not enough evidence of what kind of pro player he can be. Let's let the coaches do their job. Maybe once we see him a few times there will be evidence of what kind of player he can be. Green Bay clearly thought he could become something as they matched Buffalo's offer for him last year. They tried to hide him on the practice squad and it backfired on them.

scouting report:

Brohm is a coach's dream. He could've been the #1 pick last season before electing to return to college, so he's definitely pro-ready. What he's gained from being in a family of quarterbacks and by learning more under Bobby Petrino, Brohm has developed into the top quarterback prospect in the 2008 class. Some think he is a product of a pass-happy offense, but check him out on tape and you'll eat those words quickly.

Brohm has all of the tools to be a franchise quarterback. He has the size and the big arm to go with it. More importantly, he knows how to use it. Whether it is to throw a bullet over the middle, a fade route to the corner, or the home run ball. He won't scramble for twenty yards, but he can move well enough and can get you a rushing touchdown or two.

On top of his physical skills are his football knowledge and his headiness, so he makes few mistakes and he's willing to learn and get better.

There is one knock on him. Durability may be a concern, as he had injury problems in 2005 and 2006, though he has rebounded from his injuries well.

Overall, despite the potential injury concerns, Brohm's makeup makes him a can't miss prospect, because whoever drafts him won't have him on the pine for long.

Im saying he sucks ass because ONLY the RUSS BRANDON led bills wanted the worthless !@#$. HE can't even become a 3rd stringer on any other team in the NFL, No one else wanted him.

the guy sucks, only Bills fans want a !@#$ing loser to start for them, and we wonder why this team sucks so badly?

That's not true. According to Sirius NFL Radio the week we signed him, Brohm received offers from several teams but chose Buffalo because he'd have the best shot at playing time there.

See this thread please:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?showtopic=111219

Brohm has played one game in the NFL with an offense that he had three weeks to learn and an offensive line that was down three starters. I think that saying he sucks based off that one performance is a bit premature. As for all that talk about how he couldn't cut it with the Packers, if you were suggesting that he was even competing for the starting job in his ROOKIE season there, you're nuts. Aaron Rodgers was the #1 QB on the team and not even a first round pick was going to challenge him that year for the starting job. And, since when did a Rookie QB in a 3 QB system ever become the second string QB in their first season. It is extremely rare, except in cases where the grizzled old vet is getting ready to retire, and if he gets hurt, they want the new guy to get a chance to play and learn the system in game time scenarios. People who post comments about players sucking or being busts without thinking are frequently wrong or unknowledgeable about football in general.

Further, to say that Brohm only had a mediocre career at Louisville shows a clear lack of research at the very least into the topic. Here are his stats at Louisville from the three years when he was their starter.

Att Cmp % YDS TD INT Rating RAtt RYds Avg RTD

2005- 301 207 68.8 2,883 19 5 166.7 41 -36 -0.9 4

2006- 314 199 63.4 3,049 16 5 158.6 46 45 1.0 0

2007- 473 308 65.1 4,024 30 12 152.4 57 -46 -0.8 3

Here's the link to the stats page at Rivals.com where the stats here came from. http://collegefootball.rivals.com/cviewpla...er=36481#ticker

The fact is, Brohm passed for over 11,000 yards in his college career and played in a very good football conference. Not the best, but very good. In Green Bay as a rookie, Brohm was never going to start. The backup, Matt Flynn, has only appeared in four games, and his stats are atrocious. Rookie QBs never play very well when coming off the bench, or in camp because they have to learn a system with which they are almost always unfamiliar. Talentwise, Brohm is probably the best guy on the roster.

I don't know if Brohm is the long term answer or not. I do think the Bills like Tebow, and that statements like this could be a smokescreen to keep other teams from drafting him before the Bills pick at 41. If they draft Tebow, I think it will be clear who the Bills will want to be the opening day starter. But Brohm is a good prospect, and given a good coaching staff, he has the tools to develop into a good QB in the NFL. Stating that a player "sucks" when they have appeared in 1 NFL game is completely ridiculous. Let's give the guy a chance with the team and the new staff before we unequivocally, and without any evidence at all is ridiculous. If you go back and watch that Falcons game, you'll actually see that the guy has a good arm and solid instincts. He just needs to be in a system that he has more than three weeks to learn, and have a line that isn't made up of third string starters. Those things will tend to lead to bad QB play.

You get dumber with every post I swear...

Yeah and Gailey also said in passing "we have two QB's that have both played well at times" both meaning two, meaning NOT Brohm...heheheh so whatever...Trent Edwards gets a chance to win the job and he wins it...sit back relax and enjoy the ride...you Edwards haters will see something completely different this season

Yeah and Gailey also said in passing "we have two QB's that have both played well at times" both meaning two, meaning NOT Brohm...heheheh so whatever...Trent Edwards gets a chance to win the job and he wins it...sit back relax and enjoy the ride...you Edwards haters will see something completely different this season

I'll be happy just to see him stop staring down receivers

You get dumber with every post I swear...

+1

Seriously Darth. The guy had a lousy game against the Falcons on a lousy team. He had been in the system for a very short period and our offense was going to be anemic regardless of who was QB.

You are wrong on so many accounts.

He was a consensus top 5 pick after his junior year. His stock dropped after a mediocre senior year on a significantly worse team in Louisville.

As has been stated, it was reported that several teams were making offers to Brohm and he chose Buffalo because he believed it to be his best chance to see the field.

"After going undrafted in the 2009 NFL Draft, Mortensen was signed by the Tennessee Titans as an undrafted free agent. He played an offensive series in the Hall of Fame Game against the Buffalo Bills on August 9, going 1-for-2 with an interception returned for a touchdown by Bills cornerback Reggie Corner. The Titans waived Mortensen two days later on August 11."

Brohm has played one game in the NFL with an offense that he had three weeks to learn and an offensive line that was down three starters. I think that saying he sucks based off that one performance is a bit premature. As for all that talk about how he couldn't cut it with the Packers, if you were suggesting that he was even competing for the starting job in his ROOKIE season there, you're nuts. Aaron Rodgers was the #1 QB on the team and not even a first round pick was going to challenge him that year for the starting job. And, since when did a Rookie QB in a 3 QB system ever become the second string QB in their first season. It is extremely rare, except in cases where the grizzled old vet is getting ready to retire, and if he gets hurt, they want the new guy to get a chance to play and learn the system in game time scenarios. People who post comments about players sucking or being busts without thinking are frequently wrong or unknowledgeable about football in general.

Further, to say that Brohm only had a mediocre career at Louisville shows a clear lack of research at the very least into the topic. Here are his stats at Louisville from the three years when he was their starter.

Att Cmp % YDS TD INT Rating RAtt RYds Avg RTD

2005- 301 207 68.8 2,883 19 5 166.7 41 -36 -0.9 4

2006- 314 199 63.4 3,049 16 5 158.6 46 45 1.0 0

2007- 473 308 65.1 4,024 30 12 152.4 57 -46 -0.8 3

Here's the link to the stats page at Rivals.com where the stats here came from. http://collegefootball.rivals.com/cviewpla...er=36481#ticker

The fact is, Brohm passed for over 11,000 yards in his college career and played in a very good football conference. Not the best, but very good. In Green Bay as a rookie, Brohm was never going to start. The backup, Matt Flynn, has only appeared in four games, and his stats are atrocious. Rookie QBs never play very well when coming off the bench, or in camp because they have to learn a system with which they are almost always unfamiliar. Talentwise, Brohm is probably the best guy on the roster.

I don't know if Brohm is the long term answer or not. I do think the Bills like Tebow, and that statements like this could be a smokescreen to keep other teams from drafting him before the Bills pick at 41. If they draft Tebow, I think it will be clear who the Bills will want to be the opening day starter. But Brohm is a good prospect, and given a good coaching staff, he has the tools to develop into a good QB in the NFL. Stating that a player "sucks" when they have appeared in 1 NFL game is completely ridiculous. Let's give the guy a chance with the team and the new staff before we unequivocally, and without any evidence at all is ridiculous. If you go back and watch that Falcons game, you'll actually see that the guy has a good arm and solid instincts. He just needs to be in a system that he has more than three weeks to learn, and have a line that isn't made up of third string starters. Those things will tend to lead to bad QB play.

here, here! the guy was the #1 college QB in the country in december 2007. Yes, bring in another QB, but let him compete!

Brohm+Edwards+Fits = No starting QB

That's not true. According to Sirius NFL Radio the week we signed him, Brohm received offers from several teams but chose Buffalo because he'd have the best shot at playing time there.

Prove it. All rumors. Here is FACT, he sat his ass on Green bays practice squad till BUFFALO actually signed him. I guess those other teams must be the same ones that were also lined up to sign TO when we did right? :wallbash:

Brohm sucks ass, why Bills fans cling to ****ty QB's so hard is beyond me. Maybe that is why the team sucks so badly? Ralph and smithers watch the messageboards and know you guys are more than willing to keep letting him field **** talent while praying it works out.

Well basically since qbs don't fall off trees we have to go with what we are dealt. Would you have been happy if we gave Jake Delhomme a cleveland sized contract to come here? No probably not. And since there is only 1 real deal franchise in this draft, your boy, there needs to be evaluation of every qb on the roster. And after tallying the votes, BB had the best college career and the most upside. With one NFL game under his belt (with 4 actual days taking the starting snaps) I happen to think he did a pretty good job.

Well basically since qbs don't fall off trees we have to go with what we are dealt. Would you have been happy if we gave Jake Delhomme a cleveland sized contract to come here? No probably not. And since there is only 1 real deal franchise in this draft, your boy, there needs to be evaluation of every qb on the roster. And after tallying the votes, BB had the best college career and the most upside. With one NFL game under his belt (with 4 actual days taking the starting snaps) I happen to think he did a pretty good job.

Oh I get it. But you know what? That little speck of white on the top of chicken **** is still chicken ****. So lets go with the best of the **** we have right?

And stop with the college stat BS please. if college stats were important then the kid from Hawaii a few years back would have 3 superbowls and probowls or more by now. If stats mattered then EVERY QB from TexASS tech would be the top pick in the draft when they came out.

Darth, I can't take it anymore! Occasionally, you make sense here on TSW, but NOW is not one of them. Your trashing of Brian Brohm is just idiotic to me (and apparently to some other posters as well). So F***ing what that he got beat out in Greenbay for the third string qb job (actually it was the second string cuz GB only kept two QB's). He's got all the tools to be a great qb in the NFL and has now had 2 years to develop and not be overwhelmed anymore and in my opinion should be ready to blossom. ANY qb we draft is going to need time to develop.

And how can say he was just ok in college? His 4 yr stats, and another poster already put in the link, are 780 of 1186 for 10,775 and thats a 65.8 completion%, 71 tds and only 24 ints, plus 9 rushing tds and 34-10 in the win/loss column. And he played in a good division. Sounds more than ok to me.

As for the Atlanta game, the Bills o-line really sucked bad that game (as usual). Atlanta had pressure on him all day and in my opinion he played admirably. He was poised and played just as good if not better than the other two F##ks on the squad with only a couple of weeks in the bills system and not a lot of time to work with the recievers. He should only get better with more time in the new system. In my eyes and from what I saw, he has potential. Give the man a chance!

www.Buffalobills.com/team/roster/Brian-Brohm/be3F4ble-4038-abf5b6c991354

and AX, nice read.

and alphadog7, I'm with you.

actually this was the post i was responding to. dont know how i got the other one up there last post

I see give him a chance? Green bay did and he sucked. We did and he sucked. Hell he sucked so bad the temp, lame duck coach didn't want him to see the field until the other two getting injured forced his hand.

Lets talk about the QB's in the 08 draft shall we? Colt Brennan was a stud in college, so much for college stats huh? What about Ryan, Flacco and a guy drafted after Brohm in Henne? ALL are starters whereas Brohm couldn't even make the regular team in Green bay.

Now please tell me what is so damn special about this guy? Nothing other than a name that Bills fans know. He didn't win the Heisman, didnt win a national championship, didn't set a ton of records and didn't play in an overly tough confrence. So again I ask WTF do you guys want this clown to start so badly? He is a below average QB in the NFL, we didn't draft him so seriously WTF?

Oh I get it. But you know what? That little speck of white on the top of chicken **** is still chicken ****. So lets go with the best of the **** we have right?

And stop with the college stat BS please. if college stats were important then the kid from Hawaii a few years back would have 3 superbowls and probowls or more by now. If stats mattered then EVERY QB from TexASS tech would be the top pick in the draft when they came out.

ICE, my long-time friend - calm down and save it for draft day when we all will be clawing at the ceiling. :wallbash:

And I apologise to those offended but seriously folks, the guy isn't worth a damn. He is another overhyped QB in college that isn't worth a damn in the pro. I am sick of these hasbeens being expected to be what they aren't.

Lets hope Nix can find us a real talent to develop in this draft or this team is no better off than last