What have the Bills done that has impressed you?

Like the front office re-org a lot. I admit, Im not sure it will work (who is), but now they got the business guy doing business stuff and the football guys in charge of the football stuff.

Like the Nix move, LOVE the assistant GM (Whalen?) move. Strong football men with a keen eye for talent and similar philosophies on how to build teams in a smaller (read: cash strapped) market.

Gaily move I DIDNT like, but my take on that is "Talk to me in November." By then we will know if Gailey can build a good program or not.

Overall, Im pleased. More sexy hires would have been great but if nothing else, it APPEARS at least in the front office that the proper people are in charge of the things they have the skill sets for.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Impressed:

- Finally firing Jauron and most of staff.

- Dumping loser Tampa 2 scheme for 3-4

- Dumping John Guy.

Kinda Impressed:

- Dwan Edwards could be a nice pick-up.

Too early to tell:

- Nix as GM

- Gailey and staff

Not impressed:

- Andra Davis & Cornell Green, two ham-&-eggers... but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

- Modrak still has a job.

Have we sunk that low, as fans of this team, that we are simply happy to have a team to root for... who cares if they win?

You have hit the nail on the head here. Once you understand and accept this basic fact, most of the moves (or lack thereof) by OBD will start to make sense to you. If you need proof of this being a fact, just look around here a little. There any many who openly state they will buy their season tickets, jerseys etc. as long as they are the Buffalo Bills.

They have tried to make the bold move but our reputation is making that harder than anyone realized. Having the media crap on your city and team nonstop does have the effect of poisoning people's perceptions. We have our problems but people's image of us is ten times worse than reality.

PTR

I am hoping that if we get some winning seasons, we will be more attractive.

Now, what I do like about what the Bills have done... they fired Dick Jauron

I couldn't agree more with you on this point!

Everything else remains to be seen. How can people love or hate what the Bills have done so far when there hasn't been anything concrete (i.e wins and losses) upon which to judge their activities?

It is illogical to conclude that any moves by the new people are either good or bad until the wins and losses pile up. Only results will determine how smart the moves were.

I guess speculation and opinion have replaced objective evidence and facts in today's society.

OT: This would certainly explain the popularity of talk radio blowhards and a certain "news" network.

I have yet to hear any of the whiners explain what realistic steps they think the FO should have taken thus far. Keeping in mind you can't force anyone to join your team, you only have so much trade leverage, and oh yeah, the new FO hasn't even had 1 draft.

Whining about the 10 yrs of suck is getting old too. Most of the new staff didn't have anything to do with that so how about cutting them some slack. And if you're really all that depressed/hurt/sad/pained/etc. by a football team you really need to get your priorities straight, and probably need to get laid.

Yeah, those Jets are doomed! No young quality building blocks on that team....and witih no draft picks this year!!

Completely f*kked! Glad we're not in their situation.

Yes, I would trade winning now, and fielding a competitive team, for a chance to be competitive tomorrow, any time! :thumbsup:

Winning is so overrated in sports...

I have yet to hear any of the whiners explain what realistic steps they think the FO should have taken thus far. Keeping in mind you can't force anyone to join your team, you only have so much trade leverage, and oh yeah, the new FO hasn't even had 1 draft.

Whining about the 10 yrs of suck is getting old too. Most of the new staff didn't have anything to do with that so how about cutting them some slack. And if you're really all that depressed/hurt/sad/pained/etc. by a football team you really need to get your priorities straight, and probably need to get laid.

If you are referring to my post, I am simply saying, the Bills haven't really done anything this offseason, as of yet, that they haven't done already in this last decade of losing. How anyone can draw a conclusion that they have been adding "solid free agents, with the likes of Griffin, Edwards, Davis, Jackson and Mendenhall, is beyond me. Davis is the only one with much of an NFL track record, I am willing to concede, he seems like a solid pick up. Edwards could be good, but don't forget, he has a major injury that could keep him from playing much, if at all. Griffin? Jackson? Medenhall? Uh, these guys are all fringe players that might not even make another team... Ralphs Blind Boys are already proclaiming them "solid" pick-ups?

You start your comment with "what realistic steps" the FO should take. Why are you, and so many others, willing to concede that what is realistic for any of the 31 other teams in the league is not realistic for the Bills? I think it is because, Bills fans, by and large, have been conditioned to think this way by our owner, and previous staffs.

We haven't even had the draft yet, it is still way too early, based on what has happened thus far this offseason, to conclude that anything has really changed. Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey are the "new blood" here...Russ Brandon, Tom Modrak, and Ralph Wilson and his wallet, have been around for quite a while. I think Buddy and Chan deserve a fresh start, but I am not going to proclaim them a breath of fresh air at One Bills Drive, until they start winning some games...

If you are referring to my post, I am simply saying, the Bills haven't really done anything this offseason, as of yet, that they haven't done already in this last decade of losing.

I wasn't responding specifically to your post, but more to the many posts I've seen over recent weeks where so many are blowing a gasket b/c the Bills aren't out signing mediocre, over the hill, and/or overpriced guys because they've heard their name, or more irritatingly, the ones who pissed and moaned about the FO sitting on their hands while the Redskins got McNabb.

There are some free agents I had hoped the Bills would pick up, but you have 31 other teams out there competing for talent. You can't always get what you want.

So far they are sticking to their plan and not straying away from it. Stability is a huge part of being successful. They have impressed me in FA by signing quality affordable depth, and then going after mcnabb as best they could tells me Nix is running the show the way he believes it should be done. Looking forward to the draft, should be a good one for us.

depth they signed our starting DE who by the way was also the ravens starter last year.

secondly they most likely also signed one of our starting MLB's unless Schoebel comes back.

they also signed our starting RT giving our young tackles time to grow and for bell to get healthy.

i believe they have done an outstanding job.

Nix knows how to build football teams just take a look at our last draft and the san diego chargers

lastly all the idiots calling the 21 year old Maybin a bust are going to look like complete as-holes when he tears it up this year as an OLB. guarantee he has double diget sacks,guaranteed.

if Maybin pans out then last year draft was our best in 10 years!

I was most impressed with the signing of Dwan Edwards, as for some reason I thought he was a little older. Yet it gives us a DE in case/if & when Aaron Schobel announces his retirement before camp and he's one that can play in the new 3-4 scheme even though I'm not in favor of switching from the 4-3 to the 3-4.

lastly all the idiots calling the 21 year old Maybin a bust are going to look like complete as-holes when he tears it up this year as an OLB. guarantee he has double diget sacks,guaranteed.

if Maybin pans out then last year draft was our best in 10 years!

It's hard to work up excitement about a hold-out DE picked at #11, who played in 16 games, started none, and amassed 18 total tackles - and 7 of those were assists. Zero passes defended. Zero sacks, despite his billing as being cat-quick off the snap...if he zipped in to get two or three - we could be optimistic.

All this on a team that had its' D put in a lot of time on the field. And injuries. They saw him in practice week after week, and my guess is that they detected a certain odor about him that told them not to give him a lot of playing time.

If he pans out this season - great. Right now, he's Erik Flowers, Mk. II. And he tweets...

You have FRIGGIN' nailed it.

Good God, enough.