Why the Bills shouldn't trade for Campbell

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/4/6/1...sible#storyjump

Good article on why the Bills should not try and trade for Jason Campbell.

The article also gave good reasons why it would be smart to draft Campbell. I am ambivalent on the qb issue. Should we trade for Campbell or draft Clausen? If the Bills deal for JC prior to the draft then the draft strategy changes.

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever read and that is saying a lot considering how much time I spend on this site.

The guy write how good Campbell is and how tough he is. He writes how Campbell is smart and has a great arm. He writes about how Campbell has been under pressure in Washington because of a terrible O-line and how he has had a new OC ever year. All of this praise and then finally makes his case for Campbell not being a good fit for Buffalo because his winning percentage as a starter was low.

It's a good read. I agree with the writer that Campbell is a QB that could lead you to the playoffs, but any farther than that is a huge question. IMO, if the Bills are going to rebuild this team the right way, I'd rather see them go after a guy that has the potiential to be a Superbowl caliber QB. Now whether it's Claussen, Tebow or another QB either in this years or in next years draft, that could possibly build up to being that superbowl caliber QB remains to be seen, but I have more trust in Nix than any other GM we had this past decade, so I feel he'll make the right decision regarding the QB position.

Good article, good points. But I'll take the opposite position. The Bills are more than 1 or 2 players away. We are talking at least two good drafts before they really get back into contention. IMO, they need to 1) put some pieces in place (like LT, D-line, LB); 2) start moving in the right direction as far as building a foundation for long-term success; and 3) play competitive and entertaining football this year. If they accomplish those thiings, it will be a good year. They have a much better chance of doing that with someone like Campbell at QB who has shown he has some talent, has been a starter and needs to be given a real chance.

I'm not saying Campbell is the long-term answer, but my bottom line is that Campbell has been looking over his shoulder for the past two seasons. The article makes the point he's 20-32 as a starter. So what, Clausen is 0-0 as an NFL starter and won't play much this year. Neither will any other rookie QB. If the Bills pickup Campbell, they have a viable starter for at least the next two years (possibly/hopefully longer). The article also says he won't win BIG in the NFL. Maybe I'm too skeptical, but I don't need the Bills to win BIG at this point. I just want them to win and be competive next year while they start plugging all the other holes they have.

A 4th round pick for Campbell does two things. It give the Bills someone who can come in and start. He couldn't be any worse than the three guys on the roster now, and by most accounts would be at least a marginal improvement and possibly has a huge upside. The Bills could also then appropriately use the No 9 and 41 picks for line help.

I've posted repeatedly I'm not a Clausen fan. The fact that a number of "offensive geniuses" like Shanahan and Holmgren appear to be backing off reinforces my gut feeling that despite the physical talents, he has an equally good chance of turning out to be a Ryan Leaf as opposed to a Peyton Manning. If fact, he seems to get compared more frequently to Leaf than he does Manning.

Here's hoping Bulaga somehow falls to No 9, but with Washington now apparently out of the QB market, that seems unlikely.

It's a good read. I agree with the writer that Campbell is a QB that could lead you to the playoffs, but any farther than that is a huge question. IMO, if the Bills are going to rebuild this team the right way, I'd rather see them go after a guy that has the potiential to be a Superbowl caliber QB. Now whether it's Claussen, Tebow or another QB either in this years or in next years draft, that could possibly build up to being that superbowl caliber QB remains to be seen, but I have more trust in Nix than any other GM we had this past decade, so I feel he'll make the right decision regarding the QB position.

I love how Buffalo fans are now picky. A good QB who can get us to the playoffs is not good enough. If we cannot get Peyton Manning, we shouldn't bother upgrading at all. Campbell is head and shoulders better than any QB we've had since Kelly. He might not be elite. But I'll take better than average. Its a huge step forward in the rebuilding process.

The whole discussion reminds me of the old phrase: Beggers can't be choosers.

We don't an NFL caliber starting QB on the roster currently. There is one available for a mid round draft pick. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

I love how Buffalo fans are now picky. A good QB who can get us to the playoffs is not good enough. If we cannot get Peyton Manning, we shouldn't bother upgrading at all. Campbell is head and shoulders better than any QB we've had since Kelly. He might not be elite. But I'll take better than average. Its a huge step forward in the rebuilding process.

The whole discussion reminds me of the old phrase: Beggers can't be choosers.

We don't an NFL caliber starting QB on the roster currently. There is one available for a mid round draft pick. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

After 10 years of missing the playoffs, would you just be happy to make the playoffs again? After the past decade of mismanagement, bad Bills teams etc..., Bills fans should demand a team that will go deep into the playoffs and not just be happy with getting to the playoffs. Yes, Campbell is better than the 3 QB's currently on the roster, but Bledsoe was better than the QB's we had on the roster when we traded for him as well. And how far did Bledsoe take the Bills?? Bledsoe took us to 9-7, losing the season finale to the Steelers backups which eliminated us from the playoffs.

After 10 years of missing the playoffs, would you just be happy to make the playoffs again? After the past decade of mismanagement, bad Bills teams etc..., Bills fans should demand a team that will go deep into the playoffs and not just be happy with getting to the playoffs. Yes, Campbell is better than the 3 QB's currently on the roster, but Bledsoe was better than the QB's we had on the roster when we traded for him as well. And how far did Bledsoe take the Bills?? Bledsoe took us to 9-7, losing the season finale to the Steelers backups which eliminated us from the playoffs.

Bold 1 -Um yes, next question...

Bold 2 - Why, id be happy with a winning record.

I do not mind Campbell. The best thing about a move like that is that the Bills can OL with both of their early picks.

Does anyone have the Bills current draft numbers obviously I know #9 and #41. Not to sure where we stand after that.

Yes, it would be great to get back to the playoffs, but you're right, after this long playoff drought, we should be more demanding. We've put up with sub-par/mediocre teams for 10 years and still sell-out the Ralph, so we should demand a serious contender in Buffalo. I miss having playoff games, especially AFC Championship games in Buffalo.

Yes, it would be great to get back to the playoffs, but you're right, after this long playoff drought, we should be more demanding. We've put up with sub-par/mediocre teams for 10 years and still sell-out the Ralph, so we should demand a serious contender in Buffalo. I miss having playoff games, especially AFC Championship games in Buffalo.

One thing is for sure, Nix & Gailey are sending up smoke signals that the franchise QB is currently not on the Bills roster.

The biggest red flags are that Shanahan didn't think there was enough there with Campbell to warrant developing him himself, and he's got fumbling issues. Then again, it appears the McNabb deal is for 1 year and the Skins aren't ready to compete for even the playoffs yet, so Shanahan's judgment may be off.

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever read and that is saying a lot considering how much time I spend on this site.

The guy write how good Campbell is and how tough he is. He writes how Campbell is smart and has a great arm. He writes about how Campbell has been under pressure in Washington because of a terrible O-line and how he has had a new OC ever year. All of this praise and then finally makes his case for Campbell not being a good fit for Buffalo because his winning percentage as a starter was low.

Exactly. all the guy did was make a case FOR trading for campbell.

The whole premise of his argument is Jason Campbell's "record." Newsflash: he ain't a starting pitcher. Football is a team game. God I hate the QB win-loss record stat ...

Agree 100%. I'd like to see Campbell's stats on downfield attempts vs. checkdowns, or how many different receivers he throws to in a normal game. Of course, those stats could be misleading, too (see any QB who's had Randy Moss to throw to), but they'd be more valuable than a simple W-L record.

Funny thing ,after reading the piece I think the Bills would be smart to go after Campbell.

I think he would be a good fit here, and he would not cost us a high draft pick, I would give up a 4th round pick plus maybe Whitner.

Get R Done Buddy :blink: